• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Super Ultra Confirmed, Revealing October 19th, New Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluth54

It's sad that I have to hope the big news is that the game is actually going to be on Steam, even though I know EA wouldn't hype that up.

FStop7 said:
Because Mass Effect was supposed to be an RPG that was a mix of of investigation, exploration, and combat. But with 2 we ended up with a corridor shooter. I still like the game, but it's just not what it was supposed to be.

I agree.
Really loved mass effect 2, spento over 70 hours on it and the DLC, but was not what I expectd from the sequel of Mass Effect.
The first one left me a much greater feeling of freedom.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm hoping the news is that they decided to scrap the entire game and make it an actual RPG.

StUnNeR H2K

If multiplayer I hope it's just a simple co-op feature that allows a friend to control a squad mate. The competitive multiplayer is not needed...

Mikey Jr. said:
Why are people so against multiplayer?

Lots of games that were single player focused integrated multiplayer and it worked out great.

Uncharted
Assassins Creed
Grand Theft Auto
Metal Gear Solid (kinda sucks? People loved it)

Probably some more in there.

Those games you mentioned are not single player RPGs.

Oh and let's do the opposite here and name forced multiplayer games that sucked.

1. Dead Space 2 - forced Multiplayer from EA. That wasn't very good at all, and this is scary to think about considering this is for Mass Effect.

Zeliard

SteelAttack said:
Even if it was just one big-ass square to explore, it had some exploration. You could choose to land in planets that had nothing to do with the main quest, and still find somewhat interesting stuff. Maybe it was a half-assed attempt at exploration, but that was better than nothing.

"It was better than nothing." Ah, the mantra of the Mass Effect fan. :p

CrazyDude

Sleep Arrest said:
Those games you mentioned are not single player RPGs.

Oh and let's do the opposite here and name forced multiplayer games that sucked.

1. Dead Space 2 - forced Multiplayer from EA. That wasn't very good at all, and this is scary to think about considering this is for Mass Effect.
Mass Effect has always been more action then RPG.

loblaw said:
Debatable. The first game's combat was bad/sparse enough for it to be considered at least 50/50.

Aiming was stat based, that's pretty RPG to me.

It wasn't that different than Valkyria Chronicles, that even with the more action oriented movement, it's still considered a SPRG.

CrazyDude

Relaxed Muscle said:
Aiming was stat based, that's pretty RPG to me.

It wasn't that different than Valkyria Chronicles, that even with the more action oriented movement, it's still considered a SPRG.
Aiming was stats based, but that barley made a difference. In the end, the bullets always hit the target.

CrazyDude said:
Aiming was stats based, but that barley made a difference. In the end, the bullets always hit the target.

Trying to hit someone with the sniper rifle without putting any points to it was hard as fuck....a work of patience.

I know because I did it to get the sniper achievement.

Zeliard said:
"It was better than nothing." Ah, the mantra of the Mass Effect fan. :p
That's the mantra of any fan. Show me a fandom that won't latch on to any worthless scrap of content that caters to them if there is nothing else.

Orayn

CrazyDude said:
What is an RPG?
A miserable pile of arbitrary criteria!

AVGK9.jpg

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Unreal Engine 3 isn't suited for big open environments. Barren planets with low poly landscape in Mass Effect is the best it can produce without lagging even on powerful PC. I heard about it 3 years ago from one developer and experienced it myself with UDK, you can check out the last page of UDK thread for details.

The decision to include planet exploration in the ME1 was a wrong decision. I don't know what they were thinking, may be Epic promised them more support for open environments in the future but it didn't happen. So they decided to scrap them for the sequel. Even those environments in Overlord are basically small corridors with the model scaled down and srite-based vegetation (yikes). You never see Shepard going outside this vessel except for the hangar and one cutscene on a rather small map because (I guess) Shepard would be pf the same size or may be even bigger than the vehicle. The latter is my guess but UE3's inability to process big open environments is a fact of life.

CrazyDude

Relaxed Muscle said:
Trying to hit someone with the sniper rifle without putting any points to it was hard as fuck....a work of patience.

I know because I did it to get the sniper achievement.
Really? I never put in points for the sniper, and I never had any real problem shooting with it. You just wait till the enemy stops moving around and shoot.

When will they release the info? I am guessing it will be next week.

CrazyDude said:
Mass Effect has always been more action then RPG.

ok? Even if you want to say that, forced multiplayer just doesn't work/isn't needed. It not only adds stressed projects to an already ambition title, it gives EA an excuse to have an "online pass" to make more money...

CrazyDude

Sleep Arrest said:
ok? Even if you want to say that, forced multiplayer just doesn't work/isn't needed. It not only adds stressed projects to an already ambition title, it gives EA an excuse to have an "online pass" to make more money...
Never said I wanted any multiplayer.

Casey Hudson will be playable Day 1 DLC.

Aliens and Predators will be playable in multiplayer mode.

They're going to spoil Tali's face reveal just to piss off the freaks.

CrazyDude

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Casey Hudson will be playable Day 1 DLC.

Aliens and Predators will be playable in multiplayer mode.

They're going to spoil Tali's face reveal just to piss off the freaks.
I hope they make her really grotesque, just to see the meltdown.

Chris Priestly community guy on Bioware forums on the topic about a multiplayer annoucement.

Chris Priestly said:
Another day, another rumor. I'll be over here awaiting your inevitable disappointment when your rumors don't happen or pan out as you think they will.

Mass Effect 2: A mass regression over Mass Effect 1
Mass Effect 3: A mass regression over Mass Effect 2

perhaps the announcement is they're going to give ME3 as much content as ME1 had?

Kinyou

Lifejumper said:
Chris Priestly community guy on Bioware forums on the topic about a multiplayer annoucement.
So that guy thinks we will be disappointed if they didn't announce Multiplayer?!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't understand why anyone would want to play multiplayer for Mass Effect, unless it's some sort of Diablo style co-op.

Mass Effect 2 without stats whatsoever is not a competent shooter.

CrazyDude

Nora Kisaragi said:
Mass Effect 2: A mass regression over Mass Effect 1
Mass Effect 3: A mass regression over Mass Effect 2

perhaps the announcement is they're going to give ME3 as much content as ME1 had?
How is Mass Effect 3 a regressions?

GSR

Lifejumper said:

Every time I'm about to call that guy a dickbag for his attitude, I remember he has one of the shittiest jobs on the planet.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
Uncharted had a separate full team working on the multiplayer, im not too sure about assassins creed. But implayed both those games, and they had an awesome multiplayer component that didnt seem like it was an afterthought.

I'm hoping for a horde-mode/escalation/zombie kinda thing, that would be awesome! although, co-op wouldnt work, that would totally void the kinect feature voice command.

johntown

Banned
I am hoping they announce that you can now be a robotic Shepard and you can pursue a relationship with the Normandy.

Derrick01

Banned
GSR said:
Every time I'm about to call that guy a dickbag for his attitude, I remember he has one of the shittiest jobs on the planet.

It's true. I would have killed myself long ago if 80% of the people I had to deal with on a daily basis were Bioware fans and 20% were people telling us how much we suck. Those forums are a dark place.

LoL.

Chris Priestly said:
Chris Priestly wrote...

I think I need to step in here as the expectations seem to be quite high. There is no "big announcement coming this week". This was specualtion from a guy who works at EA who was at the event in question. There is lots of cool Mass Effect 3 information still to come between now and March 6, but there is no planned "big announcement" or whatever planned for the immediate future.

CrazyDude said:
What is an RPG?

What can change the nature of a man?

IDK man, a game that makes me think about my next move, the well being of my squad mates, where i want to take my characters moral and statistical development seems rpg to me. No this doesn't mean DUDE A POINT IN FREAKIN' PUSH OR A POINT IN BOOM IDK MAN!

I feel none of this in ME2. Shoot! pow! bang! who's that? Bang! quick duck under these conveniently sized objects! who are these heads on the screen? can they go away? mission complete! alright 23% accuracy! rock on dude fuck yeah! i'm a bad enough dude to save the galaxy!

LosDaddie

Banned
I wouldn't be against some type of co-op in ME3. You have squadmates with you 99% of the time anyway. I don't know how the dialogue/narrative would work with that though.

ME2 was a great RPG and I'm excited to see what Bioware has in store for ME3. :)

CrazyDude

Alpha-Bromega said:
What can change the nature of a man?

IDK man, a game that makes me think about my next move, the well being of my squad mates, where i want to take my characters moral and statistical development seems rpg to me. No this doesn't mean DUDE A POINT IN FREAKIN' PUSH OR A POINT IN BOOM IDK MAN!

I feel none of this in ME2. Shoot! pow! bang! who's that? Bang! quick duck under these conveniently sized objects! who are these heads on the screen? can they go away? mission complete! alright 23% accuracy! rock on dude fuck yeah! i'm a bad enough dude to save the galaxy!
Can't that be applied to ME1? How does ME1 make you think about your next move? How doe ME1 make you think about the well being of your squad mates any more then ME2?

The bolded can be applied to mass effect 1 as well.

creid

It should be noted that there is a ME3 panel at NYCC, the weekend of Oct 14-16. If there's any big news, that would be the time, no?

With comics, novels, movies, and a third game on the horizon, Mass Effect has become one of the largest science fiction franchises in the world. Join Mass Effect lead writer, Mac Walters, along with Dark Horse Director of Public Relations, Jeremy Atkins and Director of Custom Programs, Nick McWhorter, for an exploration of what makes Mass Effect so special! Fans will get a first hand look at the upcoming comics series, the Art of the Mass Effect Universe, as well as a taste of Mass Effect 3! With announcements to be made, surprise guests, prizes and giveaways, we couldn't give you more reasons to attend!

http://nycc11.mapyourshow.com/5_0/sessions/sessiondetails.cfm?ScheduledSessionID=1AABCE

CrazyDude

creid said:
It should be noted that there is a ME3 panel at NYCC, the weekend of Oct 14-16. If there's any big news, that would be the time, no?
They said there won't be a new demo, because of a lack of time to make one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom