• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Super Ultra Confirmed, Revealing October 19th, New Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyDude

Derrick01 said:
Then what did ME2 have, since it had less exploration than 1. Scanning is not exploration and even then they told you when one of the planets had a side mission before the scan so you could drop down and complete its 5 minute linear FF13-like pathways. It was as casual as you could make it.
It doesn't, I never said it had exploration, but I don't pretend what ME1 had was exploration.

Angry Fork

CrazyDude said:
It doesn't, I never said it had exploration, but I don't pretend what ME1 had was exploration.
Even if you think it didn't, Bioware was supposed to flesh that out and expand on it in the sequel (this is what sequels are for) not take it out completely. Imagine if Assassins Creed 2 changed the game from sandbox to some mission to mission quest shit. They didn't do that though they added tons of shit to AC2 that made it so much better with many options and same with Brotherhood. What did ME2 add besides some characters?

CrazyDude said:
How is going around in Mako in an empty landscape exploration? Please tell me how that was suppose to be fun about it?

The execution was shit, but the concept was fantastic. If the planets were more diverse with a variety of different objectives I think the mako side stuff could be fantastic. I would love to see more exploration stuff similar to the Overlord DLC (the Hammerhead stuff, not necessarily the entire mission). Fetch quests, eliminating a threat, resource mining, ect... there are plenty of objectives that they can throw out there so long as the planets are more lively and diverse instead of the same planet with a shittier texture thrown over it.

rozay

Banned
I cooled down on the multiplayer rumors after all the horseshit rumors surrounding gamescom, but the only two things I can think of that qualify as a "major product announcement" are the retail incentives or multiplayer.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
rozay said:
I cooled down on the multiplayer rumors after all the horseshit rumors surrounding gamescom, but the only two things I can think of that qualify as a "major product announcement" are the retail incentives or multiplayer.
I imagine they just pulled the showing.

Ray Muzyka's part at the GamesCom showing was packed with filler material.

rozay

Banned
Nirolak said:
I imagine they just pulled the showing.

Ray Muzyka's part at the GamesCom showing was packed with filler material.
That's definitely possible too now that you mention it. I really can't think of anything else that would qualify as a major announcement at this point.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
rozay said:

I'm 99.9% positive that multiplayer exists, and the information Nirolak posted here was completely accurate at the time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
rozay said:
That's definitely possible too now that you mention it. I really can't think of anything else that would qualify as a major announcement at this point.
I feel the most notable part is that they have a multi-day embargo on the information, meaning that it's something reporters are playing and then writing stories on.

They even live blogged that there was a new mission shown for Battlefield 3 as well as a trailer and livedemo for Syndicate, so any part of the singleplayer campaign sounds very unlikely.

Mikey Jr. said:
Why are people so against multiplayer?

Lots of games that were single player focused integrated multiplayer and it worked out great.

Uncharted
Assassins Creed
Grand Theft Auto
Metal Gear Solid (kinda sucks? People loved it)

Probably some more in there.
Uncharted Not an RPG
Assassins Creed Not an RPG
Grand Theft Auto Not an RPG
Metal Gear Solid Not an RPG
Mass Effect 3 Not an RPG... oh I get it.

Fairly certain Baldur's Gate had multiplayer. NWN definitely had multiplayer, and lets just ignore the fact that it was a terrible game.

Wallach

Lostconfused said:
Fairly certain Baldur's Gate had multiplayer. NWN definitely had multiplayer, and lets just ignore the fact that it was a terrible game.

BG and BG2 both had co-op multiplayer. If ME3's multiplayer is co-op I'd be willing to give it a look. If not then, y'know, barf.

Wallach said:
BG and BG2 both had co-op multiplayer. If ME3's multiplayer is co-op I'd be willing to give it a look. If not then, y'know, barf.
Well I thought it would be a nice change of pace to make a positive comment instead of telling him that he forgot to put Mass Effect 2 on that list of his.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lostconfused said:
As far as BioWare's games go (retail, excluding Mythic):

Shattered Steel: 16 player multiplayer
Baldur's Gate: 6 player multiplayer (Though BioWare's webpage reports this as 16 players, so I might be wrong here.)
MDK2: Singleplayer
Baldur's Gate 2: 6 player multiplayer
Neverwinter Nights: 64 player multiplayer
KotOR: Singleplayer
Jade Empire: Singleplayer
Sonic Chronicles: Singleplayer
Mass Effect 1: Singleplayer
Dragon Age: Singleplayer
Mass Effect 2: Singleplayer
Dragon Age 2: Singleplayer
SWTOR: MMORPG

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wow, the thread turned into "ME1 vs ME2" without me.

Meh, I'm not really going to care about MP either way. I don't really buy the "takes away time and energy" argument, at least not on a meaningful scale.

Multiplayer is a waste of development time for a game like this. I'd rather have more focus on the single player side of things.

Bioware has lost its edge after the buyout.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The_Technomancer said:
Meh, I'm not really going to care about MP either way. I don't really buy the "takes away time and energy" argument, at least not on a meaningful scale.

Yeah, I feel pretty much the same way...apathy, not outrage. It's highly unlikely that it stole development time from the single player. If anything, the single player was probably complete or close to it before they started work on multiplayer. Even then, there are several Bioware studios now, so one of the bench-warmers could be working on it. Whether the single player succeed or fails will having nothing to do with it's multiplayer component.

joat217

Neo Member
Isn't ot kind of illogical that it will have mp?
i mean, this game was delayed and removed from this holiday,
this maybe means they are not even done with the single player to begin with.
And if they had MP they would have announced it earlier let alone hint it now, 5 months before release?

CrazyDude

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Multiplayer is a waste of development time for a game like this. I'd rather have more focus on the single player side of things.

Bioware has lost its edge after the buyout.
Didn't Bioware open a new studio in Montreal for multiplayer?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
joat217 said:
Isn't ot kind of illogical that it will have mp?
i mean, this game was delayed and removed from this holiday,
this maybe means they are not even done with the single player to begin with.

Bioware haven't explicitly said it, but it's safe to assume that the delay was about finding a better time to release the game (not in the same month as a CoD) and not needing more time to complete it. It was in development before ME2 released, so it's probably been content complete for a couple months now.

And if they had MP they would have announced it earlier let alone hint it now, 5 months before release?

If you read the thread EatChildren linked to a few posts up, there was a recent rumoring suggesting that the MP mode would be released after ME3 as downloadable content. If true, that could explain why they've waited so long to make it official.

I don't see why you guys buy these games day one. ME1 and 2 have been my defining games of the gen. I bought both at $20.

ME1 is more experimental, has a lot more options for your characters... but until you get later in the game... ME1 freaking sucks. You can't aim straight, your biotics don't do crap, and you have very very crap health. You get to the end game, or at least have maxed a few of your abilities, and the game gets good if not great.

ME2 takes away a lot of the most flawed portions of ME1, and makes other portions worse, while still being the more competent game.

Speaking as someone who has put probably 500-600 hours into each. Neither has a good story. No matter how you play it. I'll buy ME3 at $20-30.

I bet it will be a great game too. Hell it already sounds like it's taking that slightly experimental nature of ME1, and putting it in the ME2 shell. Which I don't know about you guys (I'm a ME expert) sounds pretty damn good to me.

Bowdz

My money's on the announcement of James Vega's voice actor. They were hyping it up at Gamescom saying that it was a big deal and recently said that the announcement was around the corner. It's important to remember that "big" announcements from Bioware are about as inconsequential as they come. Remember the past year of "big" announcements that people thought were MP when in fact they were: screenshot releases, videos, fem shep reveal 1 & 2, ect.

Nothing to get excited about and/or nervous about.

Bowdz said:
My money's on the announcement of James Vega's voice actor. They were hyping it up at Gamescom saying that it was a big deal and recently said that the announcement was around the corner. It's important to remember that "big" announcements from Bioware are about as inconsequential as they come. Remember the past year of "big" announcements that people thought were MP when in fact they were: screenshot releases, videos, fem shep reveal 1 & 2, ect.

exactly what i was thinking.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Bowdz said:

Dang, this actually sounds very probable. It'll probably be a big name Hollywood actor, I wonder who.

So, they're finally announcing Tali as a squadmate and not an npc?
Yoshi-chan, will you hold me when the official announcement goes up? I'll likely faint from joy.

Oh, er, I mean- MULTIPLAYER, BOO.

edit:
Snuggler said:
Dang, this actually sounds very probable. It'll probably be a big name Hollywood actor, I wonder who.
James Earl Jones, Steve Buschemi, or Sarah Silverman.
It obviously has to be one of them, but who?!

Derrick01

Banned
Bowdz said:

So crisis avoided?

If they announce that his voice really is the dude from jersey shore I might actually die from laughter.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Typographenia said:
James Earl Jones, Steve Buschemi, or Sarah Silverman.
It obviously has to be one of them, but who?!

I don't know why but my gut's telling me it's going to be William H. Macy.

CrazyDude

If it is not multiplayer, we should really stop assuming big announcement mean multiplayer. Getting a little tiresome to a get riled up over something and then it ending out being something else.

Snuggler said:
I don't know why but my gut's telling me it's going to be William H. Macy.
That would make sense, since he and Buscemi were in Fargo together...
WAIT A MINUTE! IT'S ALL BECOME VERY CLEAR!

Some ancient, alien race stole the Reapers' rug, and the Reapers want it back because it really "tied the darkspace together." The aliens hid it away somewhere, but the Reapers never could find it! Now they wait for each iteration of life to reach a certain point where they should have the capabilities of finding the rug, and then they send the Collectors to go all Walter Sobchak on life!

bengraven

It's going to be completely about Jack and I approve.

Subject_Zero_Character_Box.png

GSR

I keep trying to think of a "big name" who might be voicing Vega, but my brain just stops and goes NOLAN NORTH NOLAN NORTH NOLAN NORTH halfway through. I wonder what it means.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If they're announcing Vega's voice talent, I assume it will be a prominent figure in sci-fi, like most of the Mass Effect cast.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They're going to reveal the sex with Garrus option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom