• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Official 4K Tech Video

Lime

I don't think they meant for it to be humorous, just that they were trying an animation of her losing balance and nearly toppling over after an abrupt change of direction in her run. But yeah, it looks funny.

Edit: After reading some more comments about this gif I want to say that I really think BioWare was going for something goofy.

AZ863DI.gif

LOL dat poop in pants running animation

Time is a flat circle:

cVEpzXH.gif

Pretty but bland. I desperately need to see vastly improved and more frequent dialogue choices and character interaction before I'm willing to give thus series a second chance.

Also whoever is okaying characters designs at Bioware needs to be replaced. I guess they're going for unconventionaly attractive these days, but the derpy faced Asari is yet again just looking fuck ugly, even if it's not quite up to the 'product of the unholy union of Joffrey Baratheon and Dobby the House Elf' that was Sera.

I've been worrying ever since Christina Norman and Casey Hudson left.

Why? Gameplay wasn't anything special to begin with and with the ME3 MP these guys showed that they at least have the core combat gameplay down. I was actually impressed by how many fun new powers they came up with in such a short time.

And all I can remember about Hudson is that people endlessly bitched and moaned about him and Mac Walters a few years back.

Pretty but bland. I desperately need to see vastly improved and more frequent dialogue choices and character interaction before I'm willing to give thus series a second chance.

Also whoever is okaying characters designs at Bioware needs to be replaced. I guess they're going for unconventionaly attractive these days, but the derpy faced Asari is yet again just looking fuck ugly, even if it's not quite up to the 'product of the unholy union of Joffrey Baratheon and Dobby the House Elf' that was Sera.

#DEAD

mortal

The whole draw of showing off these games today was 4k resolution/HDR, yet not one of these videos are available to watch available in 4k.

So uncanny valley but not to the highest standards.

The worst was that real life person who was added in the game to be a journalist or something she stuck out the most in the series.

Found her

latest

They rendered her so poorly. You can make a fem shep that looks more like her than the real render.

Why? Gameplay wasn't anything special to begin with and with the ME3 MP these guys showed that they at least have the core combat gameplay down. I was actually impressed by how many fun new powers they came up with in such a short time.

And all I can remember about Hudson is that people endlessly bitched and moaned about him and Mac Walters a few years back.

ME2 was a huge change in gameplay from ME1. I did miss some RPG elements from ME1 but that whole concept of the 6 classes being totally different and completely changing how you play the game was a massive deal IMO, Vanguard with Charge on high difficulty levels was a completely different game from say a cloaking infiltrator. You could play Adept or Engineer with no guns run. The whole arcing powers change to the biotics was extremely innovative, I cant think of any other game with this kind of mechanic. Biotic combos added an extra layer of strategy.

ME3 was more incremental but also had some very cool concepts, especially the weight and power cooldown system which meant that no-gun characters werent just possible but highly effective (eg vanguard charge and nova combo or engineer turrets and drones). They also extended the combo concept to include tech powers for some very cool extra effects of tactical play and allowed your own character to both source and detonate the combos without team mates.

a916

@Jarmel: I played some of DA:I recently and agree entirely. I don't think it's a controversial assertion, it's the same engine, same developer (at least the ones helping Montreal develop it) and possibly some of the same artists. The level aesthetics are at the very least comparable

lol

I think this is pretty accurate. It looks like a game from the same artists, but it's not the same art style either.

(DAI looked amazing and this one does too)

There was 0 meaningful gameplay in there. Nice graphics tho.

PSX can't come fast enough... or N7.

Anyone notice that Frostbite has that weird boom/shadow effect around characters. It's in the Battlefield 1 beta, when you look at character items or hands in relation to environment objects. Very odd shows up in Dexus ex as well is it HBAO set to 4 or something?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sera makes me want to chew glass. BioWare really struggles sometimes to take their character tropes and convey them as convincing and believable. Sera was like someone's idea of a quirky, alternative rebel, without the nuance of a real person. Like an obnoxious caricature.

Will hold reservations on the Asari...

I dunno, graphically it looks fine to me? Frostbite is a great engine. Mass Effect has strong art for most part, especially the environments. Here they showed gorgeous bloom, particles, neon, and other staples of the series. Looked like Mass Effect and a clear technical boost above its predecessors. But I also thought Inquisition also looked very nice in most circumstances.

I will agree that the choice of sequence and location is dull for a major game still lacking a significant reveal. Liking that scanner though.

ME2 was a huge change in gameplay from ME1. I did miss some RPG elements from ME1 but that whole concept of the 6 classes being totally different and completely changing how you play the game was a massive deal IMO, Vanguard with Charge on high difficulty levels was a completely different game from say a cloaking infiltrator. You could play Adept or Engineer with no guns run. The whole arcing powers change to the biotics was extremely innovative, I cant think of any other game with this kind of mechanic. Biotic combos added an extra layer of strategy.

ME3 was more incremental but also had some very cool concepts, especially the weight and power cooldown system which meant that no-gun characters werent just possible but highly effective (eg vanguard charge and nova combo or engineer turrets and drones). They also extended the combo concept to include tech powers for some very cool extra effects of tactical play and allowed your own character to both source and detonate the combos without team mates.

Ok, maybe my wording was a little off on that one. Like I already wrote, they seemed to have the combat down, seeing as they (BW Montreal) were largely responsible for the multiplayer section of the game. And let's be honest, they cranked out a shitload of new and fun abilities in the months after release. So I have no worries there.

Other than that, the actual combat mechanics, RPG systems, encounter design etc. were nothing special.

So I agree with you that ME 2+3 had pretty good combat aside from actual shooting, which was always pretty mediocre, but some of the gameplay loops for specific classes were simply addictive (Looking at you, Vanguard). Other than that, there is plenty of room to take ME to the next level gameplay wise.

Liking that scanner though.

Yep, the game could be like Inquisition for all I care if collectibles actually give me interesting backstory on the game world.

Ushay

I'm not that impressed, was ex0ecting some actual combat. Felt like a tech showcase more than anything, very hasty in it's presentation.

Hopefully we get much more info in Nov.

What is the projected release date for this?

Lime

I dunno, graphically it looks fine to me? Frostbite is a great engine. Mass Effect has strong art for most part, especially the environments. Here they showed gorgeous bloom, particles, neon, and other staples of the series. Looked like Mass Effect and a clear technical boost above its predecessors. But I also thought Inquisition also looked very nice in most circumstances.

Yeah, the rendering and the technical aspects of the (non-animated) visual presentation were gorgeous, especially for a less linear RPG.

I still think Bioware is in sore need of some proper animation work though. I was flabbergasted with what they got away with in DA:I especially in regards to the main character.

Q1 2017

Yeah, the rendering and the technical aspects of the (non-animated) visual presentation was gorgeous, especially for a less linear RPG.

I still think Bioware is in sore need of some proper animation work though. I was flabbergasted with what they got away with in DA:I especially in regards to the main character.

Q1 2017

Exactly who do they hire? is it internal or external.

You joke but members of the Hanar species look like saddles with two conveniently placed protrusions, and that's not even mentioning the tentacles.

Not only should the Hanar be a romance option but they better be one of the squad-mates too, also we need some Volus representation too.

I can't wait until we get more info in Nov.

meerak

Looks pretty cool!

Interesting to see that jump button in action, plus it looks like there is a Metroid / No Man's style scanning system in place to identify plants and stuff. Maybe that was known but I hadn't seen it before.

Also.. Nolan North?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think this demo was terrible.

Not a good choice for its first official gameplay (from the perspective of the player) demonstration.

I don't doubt the final game will be pretty nice but I expected way better for its first gameplay showing.

Lime

Exactly who do they hire? is it internal or external.

Internally (although they also outsource?), but animation has always been terrible in Bioware titles, at least since last generation with Mass Effect 1 (I'm more lenient on KOTOR and Jade Empire of course).

Mass Effect 1-3 use a lot of the same animations, especially during dialogue - cross arms, arms behind back, one foot behind the other, etc.. That's also why you have lots of close-ups of faces to avoid the jarring "two arms down the side" pose that is very common in their games.

They also put their male animation over the female skeleton, thus resulting in weird situations, like in DA:I's Gorilla pose:

dragonageinquisition2u2url.png

or Mass effect's up-dress shot:

MassEffect22010-04-0723-18-18-64.jpg

or the running animation:

cVEpzXH.gif

Of course, they're big AAA RPGs with tons of characters and environments, and game development is hard. I understand why, it's just jarring and frankly it kinda ruins DA:I for me to see that shoulder pose of female characters.

Lt-47

I'm not that impressed, was ex0ecting some actual combat. Felt like a tech showcase more than anything, very hasty in it's presentation.

It's called 4K tech video for a reason... I understand people complaining that it's not a very exciting 1st gameplay video (I even agree) but it was made for eye candy above everything else.

Venom Fox

Banned
Jesus. All these people moaning about animations and the level looking boring.

It was a demo meant to show off the graphics, which were fucking amazing for such a big game. That's literally it. They would have chosen a boring segment so they can off off combat systems in a real gameplay segment in November. The whole point in this video was to show off 4K and the graphics.

Also.. Nolan North?

There seems to be a consensus that Ryder sounds like Greg Ellis (Dragon Age's Cullen). It does sound like him doing an American accent. Bioware tends to reuse DA voice actors in ME, so it's plausible.

People liked Ashley and Kaidan?

Hey, now, that's some quality Canadian biotic booty you're dissing.

Jesus. All these people moaning about animations and the level looking boring.

It is a bit a of a disappointment we're still stuck with the 'I really need to take a shit' hybrid run-waddle.

Ridesh

Banned

Hopefully we get much more info in Nov.

Uhm, yeah? I mean, look at the name of the video/thread.

Top Bottom