• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Official 4K Tech Video

Floody

Looks nice, but that demo has me sitting comfortably in camp "it's getting delayed again", love to be wrong though, as I really wanna play a new Mass Effect game.

Jarmel

Banned
Zero things in that trailer come anywhere close to substantially resembling that. All you've got is "green" and "straight lines". The fact that ME:A sets itself apart by the geometry being modern and technological in nature in and of itself invalidates both of those strenuous resemblances.

I'm being somewhat lazy as I would pull up more but the blocky architecture is all over DA:I.
364305640.jpg

364344500.jpg
Here's a screencap from the youtube video of Andromeda.
enZQR6y.png

The background geometry in this shot is identical. As for the green, the shades are different as the DA:I is more sickly green and the ME:A one is closer to a pulsating neon green. However the emphasis on green is definitely more of a DA:I trait than really something like Mass Effect which was big on blue and red.

Yes the games are in two different settings but that doesn't mean they can't use similar art designs. Besides fantasy and scifi end up blending a lot anyway.

Lime

@Jarmel: I played some of DA:I recently and agree entirely. I don't think it's a controversial assertion, it's the same engine, same developer (at least the ones helping Montreal develop it) and possibly some of the same artists. The level aesthetics are at the very least comparable

lol

Monocle

Looks wonderful. Gorgeous art design. I'm reminded of some of my favorite moments in Halo—that feeling of exploring the ancient constructions of a powerful alien civilization. Love this stuff so much.

Lime

Didn't they say that there wont be a default? Afaik will the marketing be more like what Inquisition did

Not sure where they ever said that. The game will be marketed with both male and female Ryders.

Well that's a bit disappoint, we already had two ME games with Male Shepard marketed as default so it would've been nice to see them market the game with the female as default for once. Especially if the male default is gonna look like that.

I think the "perception" that Fem Ryder is the default marketing person stems from this thread and this:

gambleijuit.png

Hassun

Neo Member
Apparently the Asari is also comedic relief I guess?

7nNbuI3gstyAE.gif
I'm already getting nightmarish visions of Bioware attempting some sort of Guardians of the Galaxy vibe and failing horrendously.
Depressing memories of ME3 animation quality as well...

Revas

I was amped when I saw ME:A was apart of the conference today, but what they showed was terribly unimpressive.

Floody

didn't the collectors have the geometric type floors also

That was what my mind immediately went to after seeing the architecture of the ship (big open corridor area, with hexagon shaped platforms), don't know if they have the "tech vein" pattern though.

Maybe some of the race made it out of the galaxy before the reapers took over!

That was what my mind immediately went to after seeing the architecture of the ship (big open area, with hexagon shaped platforms), don't know if they have the "tech vein" pattern though.

They had hexagon pads.

This is I assume taking place in the Andromeda galaxy so its most likely not them but I was pointing out the possible influence of the design like all the DAI posts.

Floody

This is I assume taking place in the Andromeda galaxy so its most likely not them but I was pointing out the possible influence of the design like all the DAI posts.

I edited my post a little with how it might be, at least in some form them, but it's just baseless speculation and is kinda a little retcon. wish they showed what those floating machine looking creatures looked like more.

Why do Asari have belly buttons?

All I remember about their method of reproduction is they all are female? One gender?

If they don't lay eggs or release spores to reproduce they probably would have a belly button if they had something similar to a umbilical cord

What happened to the female Ryder? And where are the squad mates during gameplay? If you don't see them during the exploration I'm gonna be seriously bummed. I don't wanna run around by myself

There seems to be some platforming involved as the video shows, maybe they can't be bothered to write AI for that?Squadmates constantly falling into bottomless pits would be hilarious.
It's a WIP, surely they'll be visible in the final game.

All I remember about their method of reproduction is they all are female?

If they don't lay eggs or release spores to reproduce they probably would have a belly button if they had something similar to a umbilical cord

Since there's no male Asari wouldn't they be mono gender?

Apparently the Asari is also comedic relief I guess?

7nNbuI3gstyAE.gif
I don't think they meant for it to be humorous, just that they were trying an animation of her losing balance and nearly toppling over after an abrupt change of direction in her run. But yeah, it looks funny.

Edit: After reading some more comments about this gif I want to say that I really think BioWare was going for something goofy.

Lime

Worried about this after everything that went wrong with DA:I.

I've been worrying ever since Christina Norman and Casey Hudson left. The former was lead gameplay designer for ME2 & ME3, so who knows the priority of the designer for this game.

Also cant be easy having to get used to an entirely new engine (Frostbite) as well as the switch to next generation consoles.

tuxfool

Banned
I've been worrying ever since Christina Norman and Casey Hudson left. The former was lead gameplay designer for ME2 & ME3, so who knows the priority of the designer for this game.

Also cant be easy having to get used to an entirely new engine (Frostbite) as well as the switch to next generation consoles.

I was willing to give them a pass on frostbite issues for DA:I, they were quite explicit on their issues then. However, for a second project I'm less willing to cut them the same slack.

I don't think they meant for it to be humorous, just that they were trying an animation of her losing balance and nearly toppling over after an abrupt change of direction in her run. But yeah, it looks funny.

There seems to be no weight to it, like she suddenly loses all her momentum, then jumps in place on one foot and then carries on running.

Top Bottom