• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Official 4K Tech Video

rayjonnavi

Neo Member
The asari is giving me Aria's vibe and she was my favorite asari in the original trilogy.
The Liara fans can have several seats to the left.

wmlk

As someone who's been disappointed continuously with FFXV's marketing, I gotta say that this was a pretty meh showing.

Toa TAK

Banned
I have yet to give a single shit for the entire Asari species as a whole.

Come on, Bioware, should've shown off a Krogan.

EDIT: Wait, has NeoGAF already discussed if Liara is a...

MARY SUE?

Jarmel is right. ME4 reminds people of DA3 not without a reason. The angular, alien stuff reminds me of the caves in DA3:

Hinterlands-Winterwatch-Cave-Rift.png

I guess right angles are out then? Not sure what's impressive or extraordinary about being able to find a kinda sorta similar place in a 100 hour RPG that's within the same engine.

ArjanN

"We need a gameplay demo"

"OK..."

"But what if instead of showing anything interesting..."

"...I'm listening..."

"...we show the most boring thing possible!"

"GENIUS!"

More like: "Oh God, all we have ready is a fancy hallway and a half-finished walking animaton!"

Jarmel

Banned
I guess right angles are out then? Not sure what's impressive or extraordinary about being able to find a kinda sorta similar place in a 100 hour RPG that's within the same engine.

This is a critical place in the game, you can tell at the end by the talk of the vaults (ala the Star Map stuff). The original trilogy borrowed heavily from Syd Mead and other 70's/80's artists while the architecture here is more in line with modern scifi.

It's good to see Mass Effect isn't just a series of sketches, so I'm way excited about that.

But, it's beyond hilarious how this game has now been in multiple E3's and now this meeting and it's like they've gone out of their way to not show anything that isn't even remotely interesting! Like, it's almost impressive how dull the short clips they've featured have been.

Whatever, still my most anticipated game at the moment, just funny the way they've showed it off for now multiple years.

UberLevi

> Releases graphical showcase and says they'll pop the lid on the good stuff November 7th and onward
> GAF chastises gameplay video for being nothing more than pretty.

OT: Looks great so far. Giving me Dragon Age Inquisition vibes, which is fine as long as they make side content less tedious. I think this system of play will suit itself better to the third person shooter genre.

This is a critical place in the game, you can tell at the end by the talk of the vaults (ala the Star Map stuff). The original trilogy borrowed heavily from Syd Mead and other 70's/80's artists while the architecture here is more in line with modern scifi.

I don't quite understand what your point is in relation to my comment. I was just saying that finding a place in DA:I that looks sorta similar than this one thanks to the type of geometry used is hardly a surprise when we're considering that DA:I is a huge game, and that they're based on the same tech.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't quite understand what your point is in relation to my comment. I was just saying that finding a place in DA:I that looks sorta similar than this one thanks to the type of geometry used is hardly a surprise when we're considering that DA:I is a huge game, and that they're based on the same tech.

This isn't just some random location in the game nor is the focus on green/angular geometry a minor element of the art direction in Inquisition. Both games have similar art direction in pivotal locations.

dsk1210

Hopefully you can holster your weapons this time, that really pissed me off that they took it out after mass effect 1.

This clip seems to suggest so.

This isn't just some random location in the game nor is the focus on green/angular geometry a minor element of the art direction in Inquisition. Both games have similar art direction in pivotal locations.

In this case, the similar art direction IS incidental. The DA:I one was derived from the Giant's Causeway.

Jarmel

Banned
Looking at the old trailer (0.56) it seems like the running animation is way worse now. Actually most of the old footage looks a lot less Dragon Age'esque. This gameplay reveal leaves me very puzzled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk_s2oPlTKY

I'm trying to find out who their art director is. All I can find is an article from April citing some young kid named Danny as the 'new' art director. I'm not sure if it's new as in compared to the original trilogy or new to the team as in they replaced an old Andromeda art director.

NimbusD

Flynn tweeted this:

Not sure how I feel about that character design - the jacket thing doesn't really make sense, especially if it's supposed to be the combat armor

Maybe asari need to vent heat from their bodies through their exposed stomachs?

Idk, Mass Effect is USUALLY better about being aware of this kind of stuff, so it sticks out much more than in a regular ole video game.

It wasn't thinking of that particular screenshot but rather even when you close the rifts, pointed rocks come out during the process.

The angular geometry was a big part of DA:I.

Zero things in that trailer come anywhere close to substantially resembling that. All you've got is "green" and "straight lines". The fact that ME:A sets itself apart by the geometry being modern and technological in nature in and of itself invalidates both of those strenuous resemblances.

Top Bottom