• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Official 4K Tech Video

Ralemont

not me
zsVqeu9.jpg

I know I've seen this type of "tech vein" pattern before in the ME trilogy, but in orange I think? Anyone recall?

Dialogue and voice acting seemed off. Sounded more like the cringey canned co-op stuff that Ubisoft uses in their gameplay demos than actual ME characters.

Fruitster

Yup, you can.

Gooooooood! That bothers the hell out of me to this day in ME3. Was there ever a PC mod to put holstering back in?

Great to see a bit more of the new game. I can't rest easy until I see some Turians though, Best Mass Effect alien race bar none.

UberLevi

The cave reminded me of parts of Ilos and also parts of the Geth Consensus so I don't think design wise it was any less Mass Effect than normal. It uses the same engine as Inquisition and it's by the same devs, so yes it'll have similarities but people saying this isn't Mass Effect are just being hyperbolic. Destiny is aesthetically a big departure from Halo but you still get that Bungie look in some spots.

And people saying the protagonist looks bland must not remember the default human Inquisitor that they showed for DAI marketing. Some of you guys need to chill out for a hot minute.

Art direction doesn't look like Mass Effect at all. It looks like Dragon Inquisition. That's a very noticeable and disappointing thing as ME1 and ME2 had very distinct and stellar art direction.

It did remind me a hell of a lot more of DA:I more than ME. ME had such a muted color palette across all three games, where as DA:I's was fairly generic along with the addition of bright candy-colored effects that seem to be a staple for Frostbite. DA:O and DA2 (I love DA2's) had a fairly distinct muted color palettes, too. I'm wondering if it's more of a Frostbite thing than anything else.

It was lovely to see more of ME, though. It also reminded me a little bit of Halo, actually.

that was excruciatingly poor and I wasn't expecting much after ME3.

the best parts of mass effect were the conversations with harbinger and vigil and i don't think there's anyone at bioware who still understands this.

fucking jetpack. ugh.

charsace

Trailer looks good.

The only problem I have is that the player character has cloth hanging off his space suit. That makes no sense to me.

Mechazawa

Look and listen as the world's most boring man explores the galaxy. Yeesh.

Please don't let Laura Bailey or something be Fem Ryder.

Big Nikus

I'm trying to find out who their art director is. All I can find is an article from April citing some young kid named Danny as the 'new' art director. I'm not sure if it's new as in compared to the original trilogy or new to the team as in they replaced an old Andromeda art director.

I think you're refering to an article on a parody website (I remember reading it... it should be dated April 1st :p)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Im gonna hate that Asari. I feel it in my bones.

Looked good to me though, and like Mass Effect. Gorgeous rendering.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Show multiplayer please.

While nerds are whining about a dumb story in a videogame I'll be shotgunning alien scum with my bros.

Citadel

The art direction seems more like "Dragon Age in space" than Mass Effect... Anyone else get that vibe?

Troubling animations aside, I cannot wait for this. Day 1 for me. Now the question is... PS4P or not.. hmm..

a916

That music felt like Mass Effect, why do they keep teasing us as such.

Game looked gorgeous to boot.

Does the Youtube video have a weird, thin bar of distortion for anyone else, occasionally flashing throughout the video? On a non-4k display, watching the 1080p video.

Lol, perfect.

I had flashes of Sera; which I just cannot take... the one companion I've never been able to stand.

Looks quite nice on my 40" 4K panel. HDR monitors can't come soon enough.

The Frostbite engine is probably what gives the "DA:I vibes". It does look like an improved version of what they used, and I can see how some level design assets could be converted to scifi versions easily.

People complaining how there's no interesting gameplay when it's clearly said that this is a showcase for things like HDR, and an actual gameplay trailer won't be shown until November...

i-Lo

Do the human character models look better with HDR? Because from what I am seeing, they are less impressive than a 60fps game called Battlefront. The skin shader makes me reminisce hard about DA:I.

Looks good but boring as fuck. Why choose such a dull section of the game?

They should have shown a small planet or something like that.

Looks good but boring as fuck. Why choose such a dull section of the game?

They should have shown a small planet or something like that.

Eh. It's a tech video, so the "wow factor" comes from all of the moving, glimmering parts and general high fidelity.

It isn't meant to be taken for it's gameplay... but considering that nothing has really been shown outside of concept art and pre-pre-pre alphas so far, it's kinda crazy that they're debuting everything except gameplay.
Yep. I thought it was screen tear in game.

Thanks! I was freaking out for a moment there.

"We need a gameplay demo"

"OK..."

"But what if instead of showing anything interesting..."

"...I'm listening..."

"...we show the most boring thing possible!"

"GENIUS!"

Yeeeah I love Mass Effect but was pretty underwhelmed at the first shown footage.

Hasn't dampened my excitement for the game though, can't wait and 'm sure we'll see much more soon.

You know, more than the slow jetpack into chest-high walls thing, the "hold button to scan" aspect is the most worrying part, to me. I don't want to DAI again...
Jet pack animations look bad, visually it looks beautiful though.

I'm struggling to figure out if it's a Zelda-style contextual jump, or something you can activate at will. It'd be weird if you could just fall to your death, after all.

Top Bottom