• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I've seen a few queer people voice frustrations that a bunch of recent BioWare games have had very queer coded women all be straight.

Being neither queer nor a woman, I don't really have the personal experience or viewpoint to comment, but I've seen that opinion often enough to believe there is validity behind it

Queer... coded,,,?

"Kind of" :lol

Well in ME3 she's not anymore at the very least.

From what I've played in SP and MP, I'm psyched to get back into the Mass Effect universe.

I've heard that some of the assorted missteps brought to light in presentation are being sorted out, but reviewers will have likely already experienced the issues and so their scores won't reflect post release fixes.

Harlequin

I don't know, your starting human companions in Mass Effect have never been gay. I don't think that's a coincidence.

And the two exclusively homosexual LIs (
Suvi and Gil
) are both the ones with character creator faces (which I think was already the case in ME3), whereas most of the LIs for straight Scott have got unique faces. Not to mention that only one of the male gay LIs is a squadmate (and squadmates obviously get way more dialogue than other NPCs), whereas it's two female gay LIs, two straight male LIs and three straight female LIs. Of course, it's somewhat understandable that heterosexual males get preferential treatment seeing as that's their main demographic and also that, by extension, lesbian romances get a bit more attention than male gay ones but it can still feel a bit frustrating IMO.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh, trying to create a good looking female Ryder off some of the presets is really, really tough, especially with the change in lighting once you get in-game - everything is so much brighter.

Cannot wait for the DA:Keep style face website to get up and running.

An official 100% confirmed list? Not yet

People who supposedly datamined the game found that:

Suvi
Liam
Vetra
Peebee
Jaal

are your Tempest options (as in, they unlock the romance achievement). Whether there's more than that has yet to be determined.

Sadness you cant hit with the
blonde girl

I'll just pretend you absolutely disgusting heathens don't exist right now.
Imma be honest not wanting to romance Garrus or Tali and not wanting the two to end up together might have played a part in that.
I was trying to be nice haha! She was pretty racist I admit.

Either way, I fondly remember two girls from both Dragon Age and Mass Effect. One being Tali obviously and the other Merrill. It would have been Bethany but she's....you know....your sister....
Merrill?
67b.jpg

And the two exclusively homosexual LIs (
Suvi and Gil
) are both the ones with character creator faces (which I think was already the case in ME3), whereas most of the LIs for straight Scott have got unique faces. Not to mention that only one of the male gay LIs is a squadmate (and squadmates obviously get way more dialogue than other NPCs), whereas it's two female gay LIs, two straight male LIs and three straight female LIs. Of course, it's somewhat understandable that heterosexual males get preferential treatment seeing as that's their main demographic and also that, by extension, lesbian romances get a bit more attention than male gay ones but it can still feel a bit frustrating IMO.
Yeah, I believe Steve Cortez was the only exclusively m/m option in ME3. It is a little disheartening, I know a lot of people complained about everyone in Dragon Age 2 being bisexual but I honestly didn't mind it, they still had characters with specific arcs and sexual preferences.

Jocund

Well in ME3 she's not anymore at the very least.

Instead she's just a disloyal asshole who second guesses every little thing Shepard does because for some reason it's just so hard to believe that Shepard could've cut off ties with Cerberus without being some kind of false-friend-sleeper-cell-who-loves-the-Illusive-Man-so-much-oh-wow.

Fuck Ashley

Harlequin

Yeah, I believe Steve Cortez was the only exclusively m/m option in ME3. It is a little disheartening, I know a lot of people complained about everyone in Dragon Age 2 being bisexual but I honestly didn't mind it, they still had characters with specific arcs and sexual preferences.

I just realised that my wording was a bit misleading. When I talked about gay and straight LIs, I didn't mean that the characters themselves were gay or straight (some of them are bi), just that they can enter into gay or straight relationships.
There's actually no male squadmate who's exclusively gay (just like there wasn't in ME3).
(< Not really a spoiler, just sth about squadmates' sexual orientations but I put it in a spoiler tag just in case.)

He/she was asking about female romance options, you cannot persue one with
Cora

Oh, sorry. I must've confused it with that earlier post about romance options for Scott. *facepalm*

Ascenion

I...I am not liking this music. I'd never heard of John Paesano and now I know why. A Trail of Hope is a weak ass main theme since I'm pretty sure that's it. No Mass Effect theme call backs either. At least the shift from Inon Zur to Trevor Morris maintained Dragon Age's personality. Unless the Mass Effect theme is retroactively Shepard's leitmotif, in which case I'm more understanding, Paesano couldn't equal Jack Wall and Sam Hulick, and I'm disappointed.

Man I tried to tell those Quarians not to hurt my robot friends, what can you do
Save both? It was hard though.
Imma be honest not wanting to romance Garrus or Tali and not wanting the two to end up together might have played a part in that.
I never understood jealousy until I heard you could do that if you didn't romance either of them. Nope! Not in my game!
Well who else??? In Dragon Age 2 you had Isabela (a pirate thief who almost killed me), Aveline (off limits), Bethany (WAY off limits), and Merrill (adorable klutz of a blood mage).

Ashley was not racist, at least in ME1 she wasn't.
She was just economically anxious
I just realised that my wording was a bit misleading. When I talked about gay and straight LIs, I didn't mean that the characters themselves were gay or straight (some of them are bi), just that they can enter into gay or straight relationships.
There's actually no male squadmate who's exclusively gay (just like there wasn't in ME3).
(< Not really a spoiler, just sth about squadmates' sexual orientations but I put it in a spoiler tag just in case.)
Oh okay. Thanks for the info.

Let me just say that I was with Ashley until she broke my heart in Mass Effect 2 by not trusting me and then sending me a letter saying "Good luck"! Then she gets jealous when she finds out I'm with Tali. What the heck Ashley?! Then she doesn't trust me again and sides with Udina for a bit! Sigh....

Okay back to Andromeda! My bad.
I got you bro!

Save both? It was hard though.

I never understood jealousy until I heard you could do that if you didn't romance either of them. Nope! Not in my game!

Well who else??? In Dragon Age 2 you had Isabela (a pirate thief who almost killed me), Aveline (off limits), Bethany (WAY off limits), and Merrill (adorable klutz of a blood mage).
why you diss Isabella? She came back for you in Act 2.
She majorly cheats on Hawke though
. Nah Isabella is awesome, funny banter, confident, asks the right questions,... and fricken resourceful af.

Having the option to save everyone always annoyed with the Geth and Quarians as well as Synthesis. Destroy every time just to kill the monstrosity that is EDI.

Literally everything in that article is about how technicalities prove she's not racist.

It's multiple things that she brings up and does over the course of the game, it's pretty heavily implied regardless of what she says verbatim.

Edit: especially that bit about the "council races" distinction, which is just incorrect. When you leave the Citadel there is only one "council race" alien on board, and Ashley specifically says "they".

Wrex and Tali are not council race aliens.

I...I am not liking this music. I'd never heard of John Paesano and now I know why. A Trail of Hope is a weak ass main theme since I'm pretty sure that's it. No Mass Effect theme call backs either. At least the shift from Inon Zur to Trevor Morris maintained Dragon Age's personality. Unless the Mass Effect theme is retroactively Shepard's leitmotif, in which case I'm more understanding, Paesano couldn't equal Jack Wall and Sam Hulick, and I'm disappointed.

I don't think there's anything to confirm that it is the main theme, unless it's specifically stated in the soundtrack that it is. It's just what merely plays during the opening bit.

"A better beginning" seems to fit more as the main theme (if there is even one)

Personally those two tracks are my favourite of the whole soundtrack, and while I haven't heard everything else I might agree that for the most part it's not crazy great.

why you diss Isabella? She came back for you in Act 2.
She majorly cheats on Hawke though
. Nah Isabella is awesome, funny banter, confident, asks the right questions,... and fricken resourceful af.
Oh I like Isabela! But the spoiler tag part still stands. It's kind of a turn off for me. It was interesting that she did develop feelings for Hawke though and tried to convince him to join her with Merrill as part of her crew if you slept with her but didn't romance and then got together with Merrill.

...wait why do I remember that?

Oh I like Isabela! But the spoiler tag part still stands. It's kind of a turn off for me. It was interesting that she did develop feelings for Hawke though and tried to convince him to join her with Merrill as part of her crew if you slept with her but didn't romance and then got together with Merrill.

...wait why do I remember that?
I once took Fenrir and Isabella with me and Isabella just casually started talking with him about hooking up. Worst part was that happened right after my Hawke talked about going exclusive. I was like "Dude Hawke's standing right here, say something gaddamnit".

SlickVic

Mass Effect Andromeda is my most anticipated game of the year. I know that may seem like an odd thing to state so proudly after the past week with expectations tempered, but it's still how I feel. Part of that is my love for the series (all 3 of the prior games), but also, I just want to see more Sci Fi in AAA games. Sure, we have our sci-fi games in post-apocalyptic settings, but I just love the concept of exploring worlds with humanity actually living in a society that has advanced with the wonders of science and technology.

While I wouldn’t necessarily say that Mass Effect is the embodiment of Star Trek’s vision in a video game, I can’t help but feel that something similar attracts me to both series. They are stories that take place in a Universe where humanity hasn’t figured out a way to destroy itself as technology (and undoubtedly warfare) became more advanced. They are stories where humanity has not only found extraterrestrial life, but again, found a way coexist with many alien species without blowing each other up. Perhaps most exciting to me, is that in both series advanced technology isn’t just some relic from a lost age. They envision a world where technology has advanced and made the lives of people better. That doesn’t mean technology has perfected their societies (far from it), but they tell us stories of what could be possible tomorrow that is impossible today. And to me, there’s nothing more exciting than that.

This is why I can’t wait to see the worlds I get to explore as Ryder in Andromeda. To see different Alien species, how they have built their cities and towns, learning about their culture, and so much more. To partially quote Captain Picard, “To explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before.”

Whether the journey is worth it remains to be seen, but I can say with certainty that I look forward to experiencing it.

Renekton

Literally everything in that article is about how technicalities prove she's not racist.

It's multiple things that she brings up and does over the course of the game, it's pretty heavily implied regardless of what she says verbatim.

Edit: especially that bit about the "council races" distinction, which is just incorrect. When you leave the Citadel there is only one "council race" alien on board, and Ashley specifically says "they".

Wrex and Tali are not council race aliens.
Isn't this also relying on the "they" technicality?

I once took Fenrir and Isabella with me and Isabella just casually started talking with him about hooking up. Worst part was that happened right after my Hawke talked about going exclusive. I was like "Dude Hawke's standing right here, say something gaddamnit".
Yep. Never saw that in my playthrough but I saw it on others. So that's why it was kind of weird to see her act sort of jealous towards Merrill.

Crazy to think that in less than 24 hours the 5 year wait for the full game will be over.

BioWare make the only games that I get this genuinely excited about. I really hope this does well for them.

hydruxo

Yeah I've been listening to the OST and it's very forgettable overall. Did they just not contact Hulick & Wall because they wanted a clean slate? The OSTs were always one of the best aspects of the original trilogy and Paesano seems to be a pretty mediocre composer.

EGOMON

Anyone know how i can start the pre-load on PS4?
Note that my primary account is activated on my brother's PS4

Top Bottom