• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Cranster

Banned
The OST is shit in this game and I can barely tell the game has one. It's almost like they didn't even cared that much about it at all. What a shame. Another huge flaw of the game especialy when you compare it to original ME.

Expected though as Sam Hulick is needed for a proper Mass Effect soundtrack. Just listen to this unreleased track from a canceled Mass Effect 1 DLC mission. That track alone is more memorable and sounds like it belongs in Mass Effect, unlike most of Andromeda's music.

Madness

Just learned that both writers who wrote for Drack, one of the best characters in ME we have had for a while, aren't even with BioWare anymore either. Ann Lemay and Ben Gelinas both left. Don't even know what they're planning for the future but it seems BioWare Montreal had a lot of departures.

Amory

So in Dracks loyalty mission, I'm at a part where the guy we're rescuing or whatever says "Look in the container on the right. Wait, my right, your left."

And a mission icon appears and then....nothing happens. I go in the container and nothing triggers, I can't scan anything, and the icon stays in place

Is this glitched or am I doing something wrong??

mbpm1

So in Dracks loyalty mission, I'm at a part where the guy we're rescuing or whatever says "Look in the container on the right. Wait, my right, your left."

And a mission icon appears and then....nothing happens. I go in the container and nothing triggers, I can't scan anything, and the icon stays in place

Is this glitched or am I doing something wrong??

That mission seems hella buggy. I had a different bug, looked on the internet and got like 5 different threads of people noting separate bugs in the mission.

People said to try reloading mostly.

Amory

That mission seems hella buggy. I had a different bug, looked on the internet and got like 5 different threads of people noting separate bugs in the mission.

People said to try reloading mostly.
I've reloaded twice already from different files....

God damnit

Expected though as Sam Hulick is needed for a proper Mass Effect soundtrack. Just listen to this unreleased track from a canceled Mass Effect 1 DLC mission. That track alone is more memorable and sounds like it belongs in Mass Effect, unlike most of Andromeda's music.

Ugh, makes me miss ME1's synth soundtrack even more. I was hoping MEA was going to return to ME1's style of music, then the later games' heavier use of orchestral scores, but sadly Bioware double downed on the latter.

Holy shit at people saying they completed it in 10-20 hours. I finally have finished it and I'm at 73 hours... incredible game that doesn't deserve the intense hate it gets. It deserves some hate for being pretty damn janky, but it's understandable seeing how insanely complex this game is. Couldn't even fathom making a game like this.

Story was great and I learned to love most of my squad mates by the end (except cora still sucked). Disappointed they didn't explain much though, but I hope they have the possibility in the future to do so.

Hard to rank this one amongst the others since it felt very unique yet still Mass Effect. But I really enjoyed this (unfortunately now I have to defend myself from now on).

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Still no word of another patch smh
They are working with the speed of а snail when it comes to patches for sure. Not a good thing to do especially when it comes to MEA in which there a shit ton of stuff they need to fix and fast, but fast is not the second name of BioWare.

Does the fact that upon meeting a new alien race for the very first time and yet you can communicate with them perfectly after 10 seconds get explained? Because that just made me stop playing as it was so world breaking.....

Renekton

Does the fact that upon meeting a new alien race for the very first time and yet you can communicate with them perfectly after 10 seconds get explained? Because that just made me stop playing as it was so world breaking.....
More than 2m light years away too.

Based on the abrupt sequence, I suspected they had a translation mini-story that got cut.

The OST is shit in this game and I can barely tell the game has one. It's almost like they didn't even cared that much about it at all. What a shame. Another huge flaw of the game especialy when you compare it to original ME.
If listening to Spotify alone, it actually is pretty good imho.

Just that it got used in a tepid title with strange sound design.

Twinsen343

Just did Dracks loyalty mission and I thought it was shit.
I think the games shit but I still find myself playing it as at times not shit and quite good.

You know sometimes I just don't get this. Seen this complaint several times, the whole "herpy derpy doo they are speaking perfect English even though the are in a galaxy millons of light years away from jolly old England".

Yes it is ridiculous that in every sci-fi show/film/book/fantasy/game all the aliens speak good old earth languages (usually with American accents, god knows why eh). What do you want ? Do you want a situation where you spend decades trying to learn a made up alien language just so you can watch a film with aliens in ?

As for why the Angarans speak English//French/Italian (depending on what region you select) is because humans have a universal translator. Several times you will hear Ryder comment "my translator glitched what does blah blah mean". Secondly this is not the first time the Angarans have met the Meeeelky wayyyy species. The Angarans have had contact with the exiles long before Rydar sauntered onto the scene.

Having said that the game is still shit and it is pretty shocking that there is still no patch one month on. I mean I get they have a lot of repairing to do, but it is pretty inexcusable for them to not release a smaller patch that fixes quest bugs and such whilst they implement stuff they should've implemented before the game actually released.

Ovek

7Member7

No but you could say SAM worked it out nearly instantly with zero reference much like the Remnant interface or the Angara have been trading and interacting with the exiles for about a year before you turn up which makes at least more sense than super SAM.

Arklite

Just some thoughts. It's likely thematic, but thinking on the squad there's no real suitable leadership besides the rookie with tech. This is obviously in contrast to past ME titles playing as a Specter, but you also had teammates that were natural leaders, especially in ME2.

Vetra intros herself as acqusitions support, fair enough, but everyone else is inadequate. Peebee has no team commitment or even concept of, and Drack is a vet but besides giving him a target to obliterate there's no point. Jaal at first seems professional and critical but actually comes off as an inexperienced inquisitive teenager, while Liam may as well be named Jackass for all the shit he pulls. Cora is the most interesting in that she has the same air of pro hardass as Miranda but immediately starts looking for leadership, advice, and comfort from finding the Asari ark. I suppose that gives her an endearing trait and she admits these issues later but, what the fuck, man? I thought she was certified. This theme seeps unto other characters as well, sometimes successfuly like with the Asari pathfinder, and other times oddly like with the Turian specter asking Ryder what he should do. You're the specter man, go fuck them up.

Seems like this plays into the pioneering band of adventurers theme but also feels even more haphazard in retrospect.

No but you could say SAM worked it out nearly instantly with zero reference much like the Remnant interface or the Angara have been trading and interacting with the exiles for about a year before you turn up which makes at least more sense than super SAM.

Any of this would be fine, but no in the cut scene its alien babble walks outside jolly good day sir lets not even inquire about how or why we can chat. Its lazy which about sums the entire game up.

Akai__

Having said that the game is still shit and it is pretty shocking that there is still no patch one month on. I mean I get they have a lot of repairing to do, but it is pretty inexcusable for them to not release a smaller patch that fixes quest bugs and such whilst they implement stuff they should've implemented before the game actually released.

Patches have to go through approval testing, at least on XBO or PS4, so that they don't break the consoles. That can sometimes take up to 14 days and if they did small patches frequently, they would probably end up in a situation where the next patch would be ready by the time the previous one gets approved. That's not what devs usually want, so they are putting those things into one bigger patch. Except if there's really a need for an emergency patch, but I think those get handled differently either way.

Either way, I totally understand the frustration as I can't play MP currently with this laggy and horrible 2004 netcode, with the possibility of crashing in Wave 6 or 7 only to get nothing and the person replacing me to get everything. System is just flawed.

Really hope they will have something soon. Obviously for the SP people, too, because there are more than enough valid complaints. Just sad how ME got treated this time arround.

mbpm1

Just some thoughts. It's likely thematic, but thinking on the squad there's no real suitable leadership besides the rookie with tech. This is obviously in contrast to past ME titles playing as a Specter, but you also had teammates that were natural leaders, especially in ME2.

Vetra intros herself as acqusitions support, fair enough, but everyone else is inadequate. Peebee has no team commitment or even concept of, and Drack is a vet but besides giving him a target to obliterate there's no point. Jaal at first seems professional and critical but actually comes off as an inexperienced inquisitive teenager, while Liam may as well be named Jackass for all the shit he pulls. Cora is the most interesting in that she has the same air of pro hardass as Miranda but immediately starts looking for leadership, advice, and comfort from finding the Asari ark. I suppose that gives her an endearing trait and she admits these issues later but, what the fuck, man? I thought she was certified. This theme seeps unto other characters as well, sometimes successfuly like with the Asari pathfinder, and other times oddly like with the Turian specter asking Ryder what he should do. You're the specter man, go fuck them up.

Seems like this plays into the pioneering band of adventurers theme but also feels even more haphazard in retrospect.

Yeah, that one's interesting.

Everyone feels much...younger here.

I stopped playing about 20 hours in to do a replay after they patch the game up. I had Zelda in the meantime.

Kinda crazy checking in on this thread to find there haven't been any recent patches lol. I just want a better character creator so I can start a new play-through.

am i the only one enjoying the soundtrack? its mostly ambient music, which i vastly prefer to the orchestral stuff in ME2/ME3 which i thought was entirely boring and cliche (especially coming from ME1 which had such a stellar and unique OST).

also the title track is pretty damn good.

mbpm1

am i the only one enjoying the soundtrack? its mostly ambient music, which i vastly prefer to the orchestral stuff in ME2/ME3 which i thought was entirely boring and cliche (especially coming from ME1 which had such a stellar and unique OST).

also the title track is pretty damn good.

I can't remember a single track.

mbpm1

To be honest, you probably wouldn't remember a single Mass Effect 1-2-3 track after just one playthrough either.

Even if this was true I'd probably recognize them though.

I don't recall music being played at all throughout this game. I remember the sound of my weapons before any soundtrack.

prag16

Banned
To be honest, you probably wouldn't remember a single Mass Effect 1-2-3 track after just one playthrough either.

Yeah this is what I was gonna say more or less. Whenever one of my "circle of trust" bands releases a new album that I blind buy, the first listen is never as good as later listens.

Likewise movie soundtracks never profoundly wow me on first watch. It's only after several viewings typically.

But the music is definitely a little too sparse in the game. What I do hear I've tended to like.

CSJ

It's an excuse, but probably is correct.
Because I remember a load of tracks, only played the games once.

Like movies (like above) some do it amazingly and others fail, or it's almost non existent.

I think the Angara have already had first contact with humans before Ryder got to Aya. And considering the technology they have, it won't be shocking how they managed to translate their languages very quickly. Just look at how fast SAM was able to learn the remnant language and how he immediately related it to other languages. Just imagine how much computing power they would possess. 40 years ago the fasted computer was not much faster than the average scientific calculators today. Now go 200 years into the future, and add in a technology of a civilization that's several thousands years more advanced than us. Language is pretty trivial if you factor those in, but I think they should have made it more clear how they understand other languages in the game.

diaspora

They've had contact with the exiles long before the Pathfinder. It's mentioned multiple times AFAIK.

I don't think the music is that bad (it's not amazing either but there are a few good tracks). The balance is horrible though and you'll only hear it if you lower everything else and increase music.

I can't get the Eladeen architect to land... I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I think that's a bug.
I can't reassign that scout with Addison, which I suspect is another bug.
Also, I can't use the secret project to 'kill the kett' on Eos... I'm pretty sure that's a bug too.

I'm not planning on picking up any more cocktail ingredients, scan any more rocks, or plants, or pick up any research project datapads... and if I wasn't so sure there was a story pay off, I'd be skipping the damn memory fragments too.
I'm damn well over the fetch quest quests.

This game didn't need to be open world... but man, why can't I research a weapon mount for the Nomad? even just automated anti personnel machine guns...

Shouldn't they have announced the next patch, and maybe the first DLC by now... or do we think they're holding off till E3 for those?

Gamezone

Gold Member
I won`t bother with the next game if they do another one about the Ryders. Holy crap, it`s hard to get invensted in this.

prag16

Banned
Shouldn't they have announced the next patch, and maybe the first DLC by now... or do we think they're holding off till E3 for those?

DLC, almost certainly holding off until E3 or later.

The next patch? Who knows. They got shat on for the "announcement of an announcement of a patch" last time around so maybe they'll just drop it on us this time? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Quick question I just got to the part where I have to
go back to the remnant city with the data I gathered
, am I close to the end? I have been holding off going any further as I want to finish up a few quests, mostly the 2 or 3 loyalty quests I have yet to do.

I can't get the Eladeen architect to land... I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I think that's a bug.
I can't reassign that scout with Addison, which I suspect is another bug.
Also, I can't use the secret project to 'kill the kett' on Eos... I'm pretty sure that's a bug too.

I'm not planning on picking up any more cocktail ingredients, scan any more rocks, or plants, or pick up any research project datapads... and if I wasn't so sure there was a story pay off, I'd be skipping the damn memory fragments too.
I'm damn well over the fetch quest quests.

The Architect bugged out on me too, just fast travel somewhere then fast travel back. IMO the memory fragments are the only fetch-quests worth doing, as they actually have a pretty good payoff. I'd highly recommend doing them, they are all in pretty accessible locations as well.

prag16

Banned
Quick question I just got to the part where I have to
go back to the remnant city with the data I gathered
, am I close to the end? I have been holding off going any further as I want to finish up a few quests, mostly the 2 or 3 loyalty quests I have yet to do.

Yes. Once you arrive there, you are at the point of no return. (Though after the epilogue you do have the ability to continue playing and proceed with any other unfinished quests you wish to.)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Yes. Once you arrive there, you are at the point of no return. (Though after the epilogue you do have the ability to continue playing and proceed with any other unfinished quests you wish to.)

Thanks, I'll finish up everything else first so. Assuming it's linear from that point onwards, how long is there left roughly?

prag16

Banned
Thanks, I'll finish up everything else first so. Assuming it's linear from that point onwards, how long is there left roughly?

Been a couple weeks now since I played that sequence but it's not overly lengthy. An hour or two at most. Then maybe an additional hour, max, ambling around doing the epilogue stuff (including a couple quests that only open up after completing the story).

Markitron

Been a couple weeks now since I played that sequence but it's not overly lengthy. An hour or two at most. Then maybe an additional hour, max, ambling around doing the epilogue stuff (including a couple quests that only open up after completing the story).

Again, thanks.

There's a cut scene near the end of that sequence where they mention a translator being used.

I don't think the music is that bad (it's not amazing either but there are a few good tracks). The balance is horrible though and you'll only hear it if you lower everything else and increase music.

Yeah, I had to lower the volumes to half and keep the music at full and even then it's hard to hear sometimes, at least the ambient music is. Terribly mixed audio.

The OST is decent, but really really pales in comparison to the OT. Except maybe the galaxy map, I think I might like this version the best.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Just learned that both writers who wrote for Drack, one of the best characters in ME we have had for a while, aren't even with BioWare anymore either. Ann Lemay and Ben Gelinas both left. Don't even know what they're planning for the future but it seems BioWare Montreal had a lot of departures.

At this point, I hesitate to think this means much. BioWare games are lengthy undertakings. After ME1 and ME2, there were writer departures. Same with DAO and DA2, and while I can't remember any offhand, I'm sure there were at least a couple for ME3. And of course with DAI there was David Gaider "leaving" to move to the new IP.

Still, I'll miss Ann. She's cool people who likes Star Trek as much as I do. Had some cool sci-fi chats with her on the BSN back in the day. (I'm sure Ben is cool, too.)

prag16

Banned
Not expecting the patch anytime soon, probably after summer.

In early April, they announced a plan that would play out "over the next two months". Even if it's just one more patch (for a total of 2 "major" patches indicated in their statement), we'll have that before E3. Not "after summer". And it's likely we'll get at least one other patch before that (during the month of May).

RPGCrazied

In early April, they announced a plan that would play out "over the next two months". Even if it's just one more patch (for a total of 2 "major" patches indicated in their statement), we'll have that before E3. Not "after summer". And it's likely we'll get at least one other patch before that (during the month of May).

I'm waiting for more romances for Scott and smoother performance. the fps is all over the place on PS4. No PRO here.

MCD250

That reminds me, I did a bit of digging around recently and found that several of the characters in your squad were written by folks who work at the Edmonton studio, despite the fact that the game was primarily developed by Montreal. Ann Lemay worked in Montreal and she wrote Drack, as you say. Liam was written by Lukas Kristjanson (old BioWare vet from waaaaaaay back in the day, also wrote Jacob in ME2, Aveline and Carver in Dragon Age II and Sera in Inquisition), Vetra was written by Sheryl Chee (wrote Leliana, Isabela and Blackwall in Dragon Age) and Jaal was written by Kaidan's writer from ME3 (though her name escapes me at the moment). Peebee and Cora are the ones who were written by folks I don't recognize (Neil Pollner and Joanna Berry, respectively), perhaps because they're more recent hires.

Do the "additional tasks" affect the ending or story in a noticable way, or can I ignore them? I'm starting to get a bit burned out tbh, I would rather focus on the other missions so I can finish this game.

Top Bottom