• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Gemüsepizza;235467607 said:
Do the "additional tasks" affect the ending or story in a noticable way, or can I ignore them? I'm starting to get a bit burned out tbh, I would rather focus on the other missions so I can finish this game.

I dont think they affect anything much. I stopped caring about em when I noticed getting shit rewards for them.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Do the "additional tasks" affect the ending or story in a noticable way, or can I ignore them? I'm starting to get a bit burned out tbh, I would rather focus on the other missions so I can finish this game.

They affect nothing story wise. Just do the story missions, loyalty missions and Heleus quests (many of those are worthless too, but many are good and some affect things).

obeast

I am pretty sure they don't have any effect at all, and I think most or all of them can be completed after the main narrative, should you care to (prediction: you won't). Just bail on them - I enjoyed maybe 5% of the content in those quests, and by the end of the game I was totally burned out, which caused me to skip some other sidequests that are apparently pretty good.

I really don't believe so, and if(?) there were, don't feel they were worth it in my playthrough where I did basically everything (finished with 98%).

For anyone starting or playing this game currently - I'd STRONGLY recommend ignoring basically everything found in this category. It's basically all meaningless fluff that just pads the length of the game with basically no meaningul reward/story. Also had the negative effect of me going tens of hours without touching on a story path thus forgetting aspects of the "meat" of this game.

I think it was the "allies/relationships" category(?), do all of those. I enjoyed most of the main story and characters. Just a bummer that there's so much stuff in this game that waters down what I think is a solid game at its core.

Caboose

That reminds me, I did a bit of digging around recently and found that several of the characters in your squad were written by folks who work at the Edmonton studio, despite the fact that the game was primarily developed by Montreal. Ann Lemay worked in Montreal and she wrote Drack, as you say. Liam was written by Lukas Kristjanson (old BioWare vet from waaaaaaay back in the day, also wrote Jacob in ME2, Aveline and Carver in Dragon Age II and Sera in Inquisition), Vetra was written by Sheryl Chee (wrote Leliana, Isabela and Blackwall in Dragon Age) and Jaal was written by Kaidan's writer from ME3 (though her name escapes me at the moment). Peebee and Cora are the ones who were written by folks I don't recognize (Neil Pollner and Joanna Berry, respectively), perhaps because they're more recent hires.

Sounds like Lukas Kristjanson is way past his prime.

prag16

Banned

I can't guarantee that NONE of them have ANY impact, but in general, no. Skip them. It's the way to go.

mbpm1

ME:A solid quests categories: Priority, Allies/Relationships, Heleus Missions.

Pick and choose whatever you want from additional tasks as you find conveniant/interesting but generally don't feel compelled to do them.

magimix

Having read around, most things you do in the game don't affect the ending or story greatly (that at least seemed to be the general consensus). I wrote recently about feelings of disappointment with the game. One of the facets of that was how the elements of the game didn't seem particularly connected together. I'm starting to think that is intentional, and that there is an implicit 'correct' way to play through the game. E.g. focusing on the main mission, doing planets in a particular order, delving into some of the party-member character stuff for your faves, lightly dabbling in viability stuff, but leaving the majority of non-main stuff until *after* the main mission (ME:A's version of tooling around in the open world after beating the campaign).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Gemüsepizza;235469149 said:
Ok thanks guys. I hope the next game will have less, but better quests, many of them are just so boring lol.

Just a bummer that there's so much stuff in this game that waters down what I think is a solid game at its core.

Yep. I really hope they go back to the ME 1-3 formula of having WAY fewer side quests of higher quality. ME games don't need to be as long and stuffed full of quests as ME:A is.

The old games were better too me than most WRPGs precisely because of being tighter and more focused and not full of boring bloat just to pad length.

They should scrap the open worlds as well. ME2 and 3 are my favorite WRPGs ever due to being tight, action packed and story focused with minimal time wasted on traversal and exploration and fetch quests.

Madness

Is there anything of value related to the Aid Apex quest? Just dawned on me haven't really been scanning enemies.

Nope. Don't think I got anything beyond XP. Honestly they additional tasks are so useless, glitched or buggy, just no point until they fix a lot. Maybe they'll have impact later on in future games. Easily the most disappointing aspect of the game. Imagine if scanning plants got you a new area of hydroponics and codex entries and a display. Scanning planets got you a holographic Heleus cluster similar to the galaxy view in some area of the Nexus. Aiding APEX got you a wing dedicated to enemies and things like armor and weapons etc. Something that is dynamic, changes the world, gives you more incentive.

mbpm1

Aiding apex was such a waste of time. I knew I wouldn't get much, but I expected a line or two of dialogue acknowledging something. A text message at least

Cranster

Banned
Ugh, makes me miss ME1's synth soundtrack even more. I was hoping MEA was going to return to ME1's style of music, then the later games' heavier use of orchestral scores, but sadly Bioware double downed on the latter.
Yup, that's how I feel too. Mass Effect 1's synth heavy soundtrack brough a sense of mystery and uniqueness to the Mass Effect series. ME3 even reverted more to that style again.

Hopefully they bring back Sam Hulick for the next game.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

The one regarding the Kett fighting each other actually leads to something, at the end of the game.

prag16

Banned
The one regarding the Kett fighting each other actually leads to something, at the end of the game.

I don't think that was an additional task, if you're talking about the one I'm thinking of
(Primus plotting against the Archon)
. I believe that was a Heleus (Voeld) Assignment.

diaspora

I don't think that was an additional task, if you're talking about the one I'm thinking of

I think you discover that quest on a Voeld/ Heleus assignment and it becomes a new quest in the companion/personal quest folder.

Has anyone replayed the game as your brother/sister?
I finished it a couple weeks ago & have been thinking about my next playthrough. I'm tempted to basically recreate my Ryders but switch them around so that I play as Scott instead. Like an alternate timeline.

As for skipping side content - all the stuff that comes up in the 'Additional tasks' is safe to skip afaik. I did a good chunk of them because I liked exploring the planets but if you're getting bored than drop them.

In fact I'd say the only side content you 'need' to do are the ones involved in setting up each outpost & all the quests that come up in the 'allies and relationships' folder or whatever it's called (you could skip a couple of these but they do all have some payoff in terms of character or world building)
For everything else just do it if you happen to be nearby or you want to explore. Don't feel obliged to do everything if you aren't enjoying it, that's a sure way to burn yourself out.

Really wish it was possible to drop quests. Like send a text message and say 'sorry i changed my mind I don't really want to scan all those fucking rocks for you.'

And then drop the coresponding markers which clutter the map

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

That's the one, though it's started
when Morda contacts you about two Kett ships crashing on Elaaden
. I guess I misremembered it as an addition task.

I wonder if Bioware will do anything with that thread. There is that extra little scene at the end
foreshadowing the Primus taking power.

Apoptomon

Peebee and Cora are the ones who were written by folks I don't recognize (Neil Pollner and Joanna Berry, respectively), perhaps because they're more recent hires.

In terms of previous Bioware work, Neil Pollner wrote the Sith Warrior class for SWTOR and apparently also contributed to ME3 and its DLC. Joanna Berry seems to be responsible for Jedi Consular in SWTOR and Samson/Calpernia in Dragon Age Inquisition.

jotun?

Is there any decent way of recovering life support, other than finding a safe area? I'm trying to explore Voeld, and it's really annoying that my life support just gradually degrades, allowing me to only deal with 1-3 enemy bases before I have to visit a heater or forward station.

Sitting in the Nomad seems to only bring it back up to 50%

The backup life support consumable isn't really clear about what it does, but it doesn't restore anything. If it makes it drain more slowly, it's not by much

I'd spend a whole lot of resources to craft some kind of life support upgrade if I could...

That's the one, though it's started
when Morda contacts you about two Kett ships crashing on Elaaden
. I guess I misremembered it as an addition task.

I wonder if Bioware will do anything with that thread. There is that extra little scene at the end
foreshadowing the Primus taking power.

Yeah it comes up in 'allies and relationships' section IIRC
It does initially seem like one of the additional tasks though since you're running about from site to site

I think they will - I get the impression the
kett threat
is likely going to be an ongoing thing in future games. After all, the
archon wasn't the overall leader of the kett & there's a whole lot more of them still out there spread across the galaxy (& maybe other galaxies) going about their lovely exaltation business

Is there any decent way of recovering life support, other than finding a safe area? I'm trying to explore Voeld, and it's really annoying that my life support just gradually degrades, allowing me to only deal with 1-3 enemy bases before I have to visit a heater or forward station.

Sitting in the Nomad seems to only bring it back up to 50%

The backup life support consumable isn't really clear about what it does, but it doesn't restore anything. If it makes it drain more slowly, it's not by much

I'd spend a whole lot of resources to craft some kind of life support upgrade if I could...

I don't think so, I assumed that's what those consumables did but I never actually used them.

Kett camps/bases usually have heat lamps that put you to 100% btw, there's also certain remnant sites & buildings scattered about
I explored a lot but life support only got very low a few times & I usually found a heater at the next place I came across so it never bothered me much
except for that bloody architect fight

jotun?

I explored a lot but life support only got very low a few times & I usually found a heater at the next place I came across so it never bothered me much
except for that bloody architect fight
That fight was actually no problem for me in terms of life support, since there were plenty of heaters and indoor areas

What really sucks is when there's a big fight of like 15 kett around a small crash site in the middle of a frozen lake, no heaters in sight, and life support already below 3/4

Sou Da

Sounds like Lukas Kristjanson is way past his prime.

In terms of previous Bioware work, Neil Pollner wrote the Sith Warrior class for SWTOR and apparently also contributed to ME3 and its DLC. Joanna Berry seems to be responsible for Jedi Consular in SWTOR and Samson/Calpernia in Dragon Age Inquisition.

Lukas K was pretty involved with BG2's plot iirc. I rather like Calpernia though, shame most people will never see that charcter.

mbpm1

That fight was actually no problem for me in terms of life support, since there were plenty of heaters and indoor areas

What really sucks is when there's a big fight of like 15 kett around a small crash site in the middle of a frozen lake, no heaters in sight, and life support already below 3/4

things like this is why I just started off finding all the landing pods first. After that you just warp around the map with them and usually have plenty of life support at all times.

Ricker

Havarl is confusing af to reach your destinations,especially the way they decided to do the maps,grrr....

The Architect on Voeld is a pain also lol...

Do we have any Idea when the next patch will be released? Is 1.05 from 04.04 still the latest patch or did we get more?

Nope that is the latest patch the one released over a month ago. There is no news on any new patch other than the month old statement of "we are gonna be patching the game over the next couple of months".

General expectation is that there will be a patch this month and by "General Expectation" I mean people will be burning down Bioware Headquarters if they don't release a patch this month ........ Actually come to think of it the general feeling I get is that people just don't care about the game anymore.

Amory

Are you fucking kidding me with Peebee's loyalty mission

Where does this end??

Go here go there go back here, land on this planet, now land on this one, now go back to the Tempest and wait for an email

Peebee you're my girl but come on now

mbpm1

Are you fucking kidding me with Peebee's loyalty mission

Where does this end??

Go here go there go back here, land on this planet, now land on this one, now go back to the Tempest and wait for an email

Peebee you're my girl but come on now

That's another of those quests that I just had to break up into parts. I think she was the last of the loyalty missions I ended up being able to finish, because I completed every other one in between lol

Vico

100% viability on all planets. Elaaden was the best planet by far, it's pretty much Eos but a thousand times better. Cool to explore, great to look at, just what I wanted. I absolutely love big large empty spaces.

Still need to do 3 loyalty missions, two main missions and a handful of sidequests.

It's true that the biggest problem this game has is being too long. I'm at 84hours already, I never asked for this. I love Mass Effect, and even love this one most of the time, but it should have been much shorter ans much better.

I wish they would release an update, like right now, so that I finish the game with it. I'd like more markers for additional tasks, and of course bug corrections because I already have two quests I can't complete.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Speaking of Elaaden, is there even a mission to fight that big worm thingy(not the Architect)? Even when it got very close to me by chance once, I didn't engage in combat.

obeast

Speaking of Elaaden, is there even a mission to fight that big worm thingy(not the Architect)? Even when it got very close to me by chance once, I didn't engage in combat.

Wait, there's a difference? I thought the worm was the Architect. If they're different things, it's possible I didn't even see the "worm."

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I was sure they're not the same thing since the worm look a lot longer & bigger than the Architect.

Rodhull

I killed the architect on Elaaden and it's orbiting the planet but the worm is still there so definitely not the same thing.

Ricker

I am going to check on Youtube later but for the Architect fight on Voeld,at the start there's like a mission update that tells you to disable 3 things...this didnt happen on Eos,are those 3 things the usual legs or something else...? it sure would be nice to not have the cold damage during this...I got it to
fly away on my last try but lost track of it,couldnt find my Nomad which I had left nearby and got killed by a continuous electric charge or something...then you have to restart all over....they should checkpoint at that point lol

Amory

So can my Ryder be a man whore with the side characters (the news reporter lady on the nexus and the museum lady) without screwing up my main romance

Madness

So can my Ryder be a man whore with the side characters (the news reporter lady on the nexus and the museum lady) without screwing up my main romance

Yep.

And I think the worm was just a sort of throwback to Tuchanka and the Thresher Maw. Leave it to Krogans to find a new homeworld with another giant worm.

Could be a throwback to Dune, Tremors etc. Halo 5 has an easter egg on one of the multiplayer maps Rig where there is a giant sandworm. Maybe this will be something we revisit in the future in a return to New Tuchanka on Elaaden.

Top Bottom