• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Lucreto

Don't fool yourself, we will never see that book. Abandon all hope friend.

I think he is hoping to die first so he doesn't have to finish the book. I don't think he even knows how the story ends.

Looking at him he is a heart attack ready to happen.

Just decided to purchase this for 30 Euro's. I couldn't wait any longer seeing as the Mass Effect franchise is my most favorite franchise.

I know I should not expect Mass Effect 2 so I am keeping my expectations low. Glad I waited for two months for the price to lower.

If you liked Dragon Age Inquisition you will like this.

Bladenic

Bought the deluxe since it was on sale for thirty bucks (cheaper than the regular edition? Weird). Anyway I'm prepared for the worst but hoping for something decent.

You'll get your monies worth for sure. I actually liked Andromeda more than ME 1 and 3, but 2 still takes the trophy.

Good to know. I am pretty sure I will like this seeing as how I thought Inquisition was an absolute blast. Guess I am in the minority here.

There'll be another patch later supposedly, so maybe you want to wait a bit more.

Thanks for the heads up but I am not going to wait. There's no way in knowing how long it will take. Just look at the Prey patch and how long it takes before they fix the frame pacing issues.

If you liked Dragon Age Inquisition you will like this.

That I did. Thanks.

BumRush

Played 4-5 more hours...combat is clicking more and it's starting to "feel like mass effect". I'm actually enjoying my time with it now.

Edit: Any recommended Assault Rifles that are OP?

Played 4-5 more hours...combat is clicking more and it's starting to "feel like mass effect". I'm actually enjoying my time with it now.

Edit: Any recommended Assault Rifles that are OP?
PAW with double mod slots aug. Slap a mag size increase, a stock, a barrel extension, and a receiver mod on there and it'll kill tons of stuff real well.

I hear the N7 Valkyrie with Vintage Heat Sink and Full Auto augs is pretty OP.

Patryn

So far I've been rocking the Pathfinder Pioneer with a vintage heat sink and it's been working really well for me.

You just need to make sure you have a mag mod on, to give you a couple more bursts of fire.

Bladenic

Arriving today, getting really excited to play. Classes are different from the system in 1-3 right? Can't wait to see how that system is now.

Patryn

Arriving today, getting really excited to play. Classes are different from the system in 1-3 right? Can't wait to see how that system is now.

Yes, in the sense that you don't really have classes. The classic classes are now "profiles" which merely grants various bonuses, and are only tied into powers in that as you rank up powers in one of the three major categories (combat, biotic, tech), the respective profiles rank up.

You can combine any unlocked power with any unlocked profile.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

It's not that different.

I mean, you will still use skills like Charge, Incinerate or Pull, but you won't be stuck with one class for the whole game. You can use whatever skills you want and what you select will open "profiles" such as Infiltrator or Engineer that gives certain perks.

Cornbread78

Listen, I fu(ked up me original trilogy playthrough and I need redemption...

Please release some
Quarian
DLC so I can feel like I'm not responsible for killing off an entire race and watching one of my best crew members commit suicide right in front of me......

Please help me here Bioware!

Patryn

I would say August. Historically, BioWare has usually released the first story DLC five months after a game's launch. This was case with both ME3 and DA:I.

As much as I've been nay-saying the idea of SP DLC, I would love to be wrong. If they announced on August 1 they were dropping DLC, I'd be really happy.

I just can't help but be pessimistic.

OrionX

It's not that different.

I mean, you will still use skills like Charge, Incinerate or Pull, but you won't be stuck with one class for the whole game. You can use whatever skills you want and what you select will open "profiles" such as Infiltrator or Engineer that gives certain perks.

That was my exact skill set for most of the game.

Pull + Incinerate = blow shit up from a distance
Hold Pull to drag enemy close + get stabby with Asari sword
Pull or Incinerate + Charge = biotic or fire combo, finish off with shotgun/sword if necessary, rinse and repeat
Plus Incinerate works on armor, while Pull can be upgraded to work on shields

Not sure if this strategy will hold up for my eventual insanity playthrough, but I enjoyed it on normal. lol

BumRush

PAW with double mod slots aug. Slap a mag size increase, a stock, a barrel extension, and a receiver mod on there and it'll kill tons of stuff real well.

I hear the N7 Valkyrie with Vintage Heat Sink and Full Auto augs is pretty OP.

So far I've been rocking the Pathfinder Pioneer with a vintage heat sink and it's been working really well for me.

You just need to make sure you have a mag mod on, to give you a couple more bursts of fire.

K thank you!

Adryuu

I've finally ordered this. I originally had this preordered but there was a shit ton of games releasing and with the backlash I ended up cancelling and buying other game/s that released in the near timeframe and that I found cheaper.

Anyway, my copy is on its way and it's for ps4. How is performance on it (not pro) with the latest patch?

Is multiplayer dead already? (not that I have plus right now but if it's like ME3's I'll want to try it someday).

So far I am enjoying this immensely. The new combat gameplay definitely suits. I am glad they decided to stray away from the cover based shooting, since this opens up tons of approaches.

I understand that people might hate the animations if you come from Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4. It is not like the previous Mass Effect games had perfect animations. They were always the clown of the party.

lazerfox

Someone convince me to finish this game please. I'm 34 hours in and I can't even remember where I am at story wise.

I took a break from the game in anticipation of patches but now I'm just so disconnected from the world and have no clue what's going on.

Does the story pick up in later stages of the game? So far I enjoyed the combat but the narrative was a bit lack luster.

xealo

Someone convince me to finish this game please. I'm 34 hours in and I can't even remember where I am at story wise.

I took a break from the game in anticipation of patches but now I'm just so disconnected from the world and have no clue what's going on.

Does the story pick up in later stages of the game? So far I enjoyed the combat but the narrative was a bit lack luster.
Not really. The main story does pick up a little bit for the last two missions, but that's a pretty small amount. The open world quests remains of the same sort you've already seen.

prag16

Banned

Yeah it does pick up, and if you haven't done the loyalty quests yet those are worth doing. But you can probably disregard most of the rest of the quests.

RomeoDog

Banned
Damn you can lose a lot of progress without saving.. with all the scanning and hearing story. I have to redo the area where you scan the first ship and turn on the generator again.

BTW... Why have a scanner in a sci fi game if you're going to cop out and write unknown for more than all the data percentages. That's not the spirit of a scanner.

Graphics are fantastic, animations look pretty much fine as well having drake from uncharted in space though is off putting. That voice actor sounds just like nolan north.

Mediking

Damn you can lose a lot of progress without saving.. with all the scanning and hearing story. I have to redo the area where you scan the first ship and turn on the generator again.

BTW... Why have a scanner in a sci fi game if you're going to cop out and write unknown for more than all the data percentages. That's not the spirit of a scanner.

Graphics are fantastic, animations look pretty much fine as well having drake from uncharted in space though is off putting. That voice actor sounds just like nolan north.

Lmao we're at the same section! I feel the same way!

Isn't aiming kinda hard?

Mediking

Encountered my first Sudoku like puzzle early in the game...

Wow. No wonder these are hated. These are the dumbest things ever.

I have barely any cash. Lmao. I know I'm super early in the game but I can't buy a single thing...

Nolan North is awesome and he is making Ryder such a cool character. But stop sounding like Nathan Drake!!!! Please stop!

I really like the cast. Lol I love the vibe on the ship. Its amazing.

Liam is the worst though so far just yikes....

Catvoca

Banned
Encountered my first Sudoku like puzzle early in the game...

Wow. No wonder these are hated. These are the dumbest things ever.

I have barely any cash. Lmao. I know I'm super early in the game but I can't buy a single thing...

Nolan North is awesome and he is making Ryder such a cool character. But stop sounding like Nathan Drake!!!! Please stop!

I really like the cast. Lol I love the vibe on the ship. Its amazing.

Liam is the worst though so far just yikes....

Nolan North doesn't voice Ryder lol, it's just someone who sounds a bit like him.

Finished the game today morning and traded it into gamestop while the trading is good. The price at gamestop has dropped to $19.99 for new copies, but I wouldn't even recommend playing the game at that price.

The game wasn't that bad, as a huge mass effect fan it had its moments, especially just those quiet ones where you are exploring a vault and looking around and all I could think is "goddamn, this is fucking COOL". Unfortunately the BAJILLION fetch and fedex quests completely ruin that vibe on the planets. Completely ludicrous how many bad and boring quests there are in this game. Yeah, I stopped doing them after Eos and didn't even bother with the vaults on the last two planets (sucks to be you guys!) and just rushed the story.

Sniping was pretty fun, so many exploits like if you kill enemies from far enough their friends have no reaction, you can snipe through barriers and shield walls if you just press up into it, and getting the bio craft augment when you make it means the sniper rifle reloads instantly as it empties and only takes 5% of your health, which is nothing when you have +regen mods and armor on. Worked great too with the VI pet who basically tanks everything. Didn't try on insanity though, I imagine the game is much harder.

I feel like I played a game and didn't really get any satisfaction in the story department. I don't really know much more about the various enemies or mysterious folks than when I started the game. Understandable I guess if the game is designed as a trilogy, but they left far, far, far too much unresolved for my tastes. There was only one character in the entire game I really grew to love - Drack - the rest of my cast and crew were tolerable at best, super annoying most of the time.

A real shame Bioware didn't give the franchise the love it deserved, I think its going to bite them hard in the ass when people start discussing Anthem and everyone keeps bringing up Andromeda as a "...but" counterpoint.

Mediking

On Voeld. This place is really cool...

Really wish I could customize the party's armor...

And I hate how I can't upgrade to Deluxe on PSN. Like really?

infi

Picked this up for pretty cheap and have just completed it.

As a fan of the other ME games I enjoyed it. Although I didn't enjoy the combat at the start it eventually clicked with me and became more fun. The nomad was actually pretty fun to drive and fast travel made getting around on the planets not too bad.

Most of the issues I had with the game, such as the animations, I was aware of before I played so they didn't bother me much.

Not a major spoiler but figured I'd be cautious in case people don't want to know it

One thing I wasn't aware of that I thought was terrible was there are only 2 new sentient species. It was hugely disappointing that most of the sentient life we encounter was from the Milky Way. The thing that hooked me into ME1 despite all the issues it had was the setting and all these different races and cultures it introduced so having Andromeda only introduce two races and one of them being the basic bad guys with no real interaction was a major let down to me.

Mediking

I brought Ms. Sexy Militant aka Cora and Ms. Flirty aka Peebee with me on Voeld.

Cora is all like, "I love Asari. Why don't you care about the missing Asari Ark, Peebee?"

Peebee is like, "Stop being a poser. I just don't care that much because I'm living my own life."

Ryder: "Uhhh..."

Peebee, "There's sexual tension in this car."

Me: "THREESOME????" :D

Not a major spoiler but figured I'd be cautious in case people don't want to know it

One thing I wasn't aware of that I thought was terrible was there are only 2 new sentient species. It was hugely disappointing that most of the sentient life we encounter was from the Milky Way. The thing that hooked me into ME1 despite all the issues it had was the setting and all these different races and cultures it introduced so having Andromeda only introduce two races and one of them being the basic bad guys with no real interaction was a major let down to me.
That didn't bother me, since that seems to be how the ME setting works - there's going to be one species per cluster until there's a method of interstellar travel fast enough to bring multiple clusters into contact. The main bummer for me is that
there doesn't seem to be a relay network equivalent hinted at anywhere in the game.

Cornbread78

I brought Ms. Sexy Militant aka Cora and Ms. Flirty aka Peebee with me on Voeld.

Cora is all like, "I love Asari. Why don't you care about the missing Asari Ark, Peebee?"

Peebee is like, "Stop being a poser. I just don't care that much because I'm living my own life."

I really loved all those side convo's..

ThatGuyfromMars

Neo Member
Lol oh really? You get a Nomad skin, a Pathfinder skin.... stuff I want....

You get three Nomad skins, one based on Tali's headdress design and the other on Wrex's armor, and two pathfinder clothing garmits, one of them is like a douchey socal surfer look for the dudes, looks loads better on lady Ryder, the other is just a lame jacket.

But other than that yeah it's definitely not worth the 10$, the guns are wimpy once you go over a certain level and the pyjack sucks because you can't punch it.

Riddler

Driving around on EoS with those two was hilarious.

Peebee calling Cora "Ok there 'Matriarch' " to Peebee telling Cora "Don't be 'that' person(wanna be Asari) "

Mediking

Yeah, this game isn't bad at all. Its very fun and is an actual next step of the series.

It has its problems but I'm enjoying it alot.

Sounds like Cora kinda got mad at me for bringing Peebee along for Voeld? C'mon, baby! You're my queen, Cora!

I love the attention of detail but don't guilt trip me. Ryder is single... at the moment!

Top Bottom