• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive eShop Sale in Celebration of Super Smash Bros 3DS

I know a lot of people who would love to do that. Hell I did that. I don't have a 360, but I already bought Shadow Complex when it was on sale through XBox's web store.

It's literally only a benefit to a business.

Quick follow-up question: Nintendo DS or DSi, they have digital marketplaces through the unit? and do they use SD cards for storage?

Just got the idea of maybe snagging a cheap one of those off of craigslist.

Quick follow-up question: Nintendo DS or DSi, they have digital marketplaces through the unit? and do they use SD cards for storage?

Just got the idea of maybe snagging a cheap one of those off of craigslist.

Nintendo DS does not. Nintendo DSi has access to DSiWare, which is NOT the eShop. You will not have access to any 3DS games, only DSiWare games, which is the equivalent of WiiWare.

But yes, it also uses an SD card for storage. But you can't buy a cheap DSi and order 3DS software with it, sorry

Nintendo DS does not. Nintendo DSi has access to DSiWare, which is NOT the eShop. You will not have access to any 3DS games, only DSiWare games, which is the equivalent of WiiWare.

But yes, it also uses an SD card for storage. But you can't buy a cheap DSi and order 3DS software with it, sorry

Yes, not for 3DS games, just DSi digital games. Thanks again!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Well... I can no longer ignore the calls of Super Mario Bros. 3.
It's my favorite 2d mario game. Actually I prefer the Super Mario All Stars version of 3, but still the same in general.

Fandangox

Dammit, I bought SMT4! I thought those were the DLC's normal prices, not sale prices.

Are any of them important, anyway?

I haven't played any of the DLC, but from what I have heard: Ancient of the Sun, Ethernal Youth (???), Clipped Wings 1 & 2.

Most of the rest is equipment based quests where you get gold, exp, or App points.

I haven't played any of the DLC, but from what I have heard: Ancient of the Sun, Ethernal Youth (???), Clipped Wings 1 & 2.

Most of the rest is equipment based quests where you get gold, exp, or App points.

Thanks, it got me to look up the DLC in the shop. Looks like Clipped Wings 1 and 2, Eternal Youth, Ancient of the Sun, and For the Past.. For the Future are all story-based, meaning I'll grab them when they're on sale again.

So like next month.

It is not. The All-Stars version is much better.

The gameplay is identical, the only difference are the enhancements the SNES gave graphics wise, and it's very arguable that Nintendo F'ed up on a lot of artistic choices when making the game.

That said I prefer the all-stars version too

I'd jump on this sale if it was cross-buy for 3DS/Wii U... Nintendo get on that!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
No Yoshi's Island sale? Not the new one, but the old one. GBA version is on VC...

The gameplay is identical, the only difference are the enhancements the SNES gave graphics wise, and it's very arguable that Nintendo F'ed up on a lot of artistic choices when making the game.

I'd jump on this sale if it was cross-buy for 3DS/Wii U... Nintendo get on that!
The artistic choices are what really set the two versions apart, IMO. I prefer the All-stars version as well, but something about the NES version feels pure. Like it was the original vision for the game.

I bought Mario 3 on 3DS. I'll take the $1.50 discount, since that's probably as low as it's going to get. They could have gone all out and put all the Mario games on sale. I would have bought Lost Levels too.

Zing

Banned
A little off topic but how likely do you think it will be that all our digital purchases will be transferred over to the hybrid system? I've built up quite a digital library, for the 3DS atleast, and I have a feeling it will be quite complete after these sales are done.
Zero percent. The Wii U software will be forward compatible. All 3DS software stops here. It's already been confirmed by Nintendo. I don't have the quotes handy, sorry.

Zero percent. The Wii U software will be forward compatible. All 3DS software stops here. It's already been confirmed by Nintendo. I don't have the quotes handy, sorry.

This isn't the case at all. They've not confirmed anything except that the handheld will be utilizing Wii U architecture.

I love this. I've been waiting to buy Super Mario 3D Land for a while, so this is the time I finally bit the bullet. So bloody happy to add it to my 3DS library! I can't wait to jump in on some more deals over the next month.

Bring 'em on, Nintendo!

Dr. Buni

Right. The updated music and visuals make the difference for me, tho.

I mean, it is not like the original is a bad game, but with the All-Stars version existing, I don't see the point in playing the original.

M3d10n

You don't have quotes because Nintendo never said that.

This isn't the case at all. They've not confirmed anything except that the handheld will be utilizing Wii U architecture.

Nintendo didn't say that either. AFAIK there are no mobile-grade IBM Power CPUs. It's impossible for Nintendo to use the Wii U hardware architecture on their next handheld, unless their next handheld has a battery big as a laptop. It's easier for their next console to use ARM than their next handheld to use IBM.

Zing

Banned
I'll find quotes later. They said that development for VC on 3DS wasn't continuing (for example GBA VC) because any effort the put into it would not carry forward to the next system. However, development on Wii U would carry over with little to no effort since the next hardware (portable and home) will be based on the same software.

M3d10n

I'll find quotes later. They said that development for VC on 3DS wasn't continuing (for example GBA VC) because any effort the put into it would not carry forward to the next system. However, development on Wii U would carry over with little to no effort since the next hardware (portable and home) will be based on the same software.

They're saying it's not worth expanding the VC platforms on the 3DS. Since the 3DS CPU is too weak it's not worth the trouble pursuing SNES VC (which would require way too much effort to reach playable speeds) or the roundabout-style GBA VC used for the ambassador games. Their next handheld should have enough power to run straight ports of the emulators they are using on the Wii U. Also, I suppose the licensing contracts for putting 3rd party games the Wii U VC covers future platforms as well.

That's quite different from extrapolating into "their next handheld won't have 3DS BC".

Who

Banned
I was under the impression that games released for their next system will be compatible with both handheld and home console, no? Seeing as they're absorbing the WiiU architecture, wouldn't that mean the next handheld would be compatible with WiiU games... Or perhaps... I don't know...

I just want to keep my 3DS Library forever D,:

M3d10n

I was under the impression that games released for their next system will be compatible with both handheld and home console, no? Seeing as they're absorbing the WiiU architecture, wouldn't that mean the next handheld would be compatible with WiiU games... Or perhaps... I don't know...

I just want to keep my 3DS Library forever D,:
I couldn't help myself:
image.php

No, they want to unify their development pipeline so they can spend less time moving porting projects between the console and handheld.

There's absolutely no need to use the same CPU architecture for that because the console and handheld are very unlikely to use the same media (so they don't need to run the same binaries) and since they are even more unlikely to have the same power any theoretical cross games will need to have different assets for both console and handheld.

If they would just verify that games including VC would carry over to the next system, I would think sales would see a huge uptake.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
That's on sale all the time, unless you really want it digitally for some reason. Actually, Gamestop's site still has it listed at $9.99 new.

What the hell?! I thought it was subject to typical Nintendo Game lack of price drop. Freaking M&L PiT is still 30 bucks. 9.99 is worth its lack of RPGness...

This sale is terrible. There are four games on sale. Like $2 off a piece.
Really? The first week it's 7 games. and it's between 25% to 33% off. Each week will be a few different games. It's a decent sale.

donny2112

They're saying it's not worth expanding the VC platforms on the 3DS. Since the 3DS CPU is too weak it's not worth the trouble pursuing SNES VC (which would require way too much effort to reach playable speeds) or the roundabout-style GBA VC used for the ambassador games. Their next handheld should have enough power to run straight ports of the emulators they are using on the Wii U.

Hoping n3DS will be able to, too. Expanded VC for n3DS would be really nice since the hardware should be able to support it.

That's quite different from extrapolating into "their next handheld won't have 3DS BC".

With the way system transfers work (i.e. all or nothing), it's quite logical to believe that DSiWare will still function on the next Nintendo handheld. It would definitely work with 3DS software, though. The only time Nintendo has broken BC on the handhelds has been with handheld revisions (e.g. GBMicro, DSi). The initial system has consistently had BC, though. They might take 3-D away as the default option, but I'd gladly buy a premium version that still had the 3-D in (e.g. PS3 early years where they started making only the premium system have BC before taking it out altogether), as well.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I bought SM3DW for $39.99. For the Digital Deluxe Promotion, will I get 599 points or 399 points instead as per the sale price?

Surely you'd get 399 points.

These sales are awesome buy... Seriously , who would own a WiiU and not own DKCTF and SM3DW? Just go ahead and throw away your WiiU if you're not playing those games.

Surely you'd get 399 points.

These sales are awesome buy... Seriously , who would own a WiiU and not own DKCTF and SM3DW? Just go ahead and throw away your WiiU if you're not playing those games.
Literally just got a Wii U but whatever.
It's not like Club Nintendo where the coins are set. the DDP is based on money actually spent

That's fine, I only needed 274 points and was just curious. Thanks.

my free copies of WWHD and NSMBU gave me $5 each anyway.

jblank83

Top Bottom