• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Fire in High Rise Apartment in London

Mimosa97

7th floor apparently, and I don't know if people can get that close to the building. If any firefighters are around they surely hear him.

Whether or not he should be just filming this is another issue.

Ok that changes everything. From that angle it looked like he was on the 3rd floor tops

I don't think the person filming is on the ground; they appear to be on top of the building next door.

Yup I didn't realize that at first

Many of the people that have escaped have said the emergency exits are on fire, so he can't get out himself. It's sick filming some one that could die any min.

They could still put a big inflatable mattress and tell him to jump. Just saw a video recently of a family in russia jumping from like the 5th floor of a building that was on fire and they all made it safe. The dad literally threw his kids from the window so it's doable.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Emergency services do not just "stop" because they dont care, they have protocols and procedures that centre around public safety,they are doing everything in their power to help, they are following their training, if they are not doing something, there is a reason behind it. One has to assume they have a legitimate fear that the building will collapse at any point.

Sakura

TThe hell you guys want this periscoper to do? It's a tragedy and he's just trying to share. No worse than the news from what I saw. Why so angry at him
Personally, if I saw people dying or struggling for their lives, even if there was nothing I could do to help them, the last thing I would do is bust out my phone and film their anguish. Just seems like such a disrespectful thing to do.
But to each their own I guess.

Macrotus

Thats horrifying.

Buy a smoke alarm people, it may save your life one day.

People underestimate how fast something like this can happen, when the room gets hot enough everything catches fire so much faster.

Individual people buying smoke alarms won't do any good for an apartment like this.
Every room needs a smoke/fire alarm and if one goes off, alarms on all floors/rooms should go off simultaneously. Or else, it won't do much good.

In my country at least, theres a law that requires every room to have a smoke alarm and have it checked at least once a year if it works properly.
I wonder if London has a similar law.

Jenov

Ok that changes everything. From that angle it looked like he was on the 3rd floor tops

They could still put a big inflatable mattress and tell him to jump. Just saw a video recently of a family in russia jumping from like the 5th floor of a building that was on fire and they all made it safe. The dad literally threw his kids from the window so it's doable.

I believe someone mentioned he's in a wheelchair in the periscope chat. No idea if that's true or not.

Breakage

Hearing on the radio that complaints about the landlord, poor living conditions and the quality of the refurbishment work were made but nothing was done.

GHG

It largely depends on if they can even get close enough to the building.

Dopus

Banned
Another resident being interviewed. She just stated that they're going try to use a crane to evacuate that one chap.

BunnyBear

As always poor people are the one affected and no one cares, the owner of the building will get blamed, as he should, but the emergency response should share the blame as well, from those tweets they didnt even try to help.

It's asinine, premature posts like this that give the internet a bad name. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Guy live on BBC saying crowd is happy as someone just escaped

Tagyhag

How are people so stupid? I can understand being angry for someone Periscoping the event...

...But commenting stuff like "WHY AREN'T YOU HELPING HIM? I HOPE THE BUILDING COLLAPSES ON YOU"

I must have forgotten about the innate flying ability that all British people possess.

Dopus

Banned
How are people so stupid? I can understand being angry for someone Periscoping the event...

...But commenting stuff like "WHY AREN'T YOU HELPING HIM? I HOPE THE BUILDING COLLAPSES ON YOU"

I must have forgotten about the innate flying ability that all British people possess.

People are understandably emotional. Sometimes, rationality doesn't follow.

Mr Cola

This woman on the bbc talking about her niece, you hope but the way she is talking, the chances, harrowing. 13 years old, left alone, caught in the firescape on the 20th floor, no-ones seen her.

Individual people buying smoke alarms won't do any good for an apartment like this.
Every room needs a smoke/fire alarm and if one goes off, alarms on all floors/rooms should go off simultaneously. Or else, it won't do much good.

In my country at least, theres a law that requires every room to have a smoke alarm and have it checked at least once a year if it works properly.

I would imagine that's the law here (UK) too. I live in a little two storey house and it has this. Heat detector in the kitchen so you don't get false alarms and smoke detectors in the hallway upstairs and downstairs - if one goes off they all go off.

I know it's the law in new buildings. Maybe there's some loophole because it's old? But then they're saying is recently been refurbished so god knows. Someone's going to prison for this for sure.

Quite a horrific thing to happen. People blaming the emergency services need to ask questions of themselves before lashing out.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to rent out a property without smoke and monoxide detectors, but nothing for private owners.

FromAtoX

Those images are hard to watch. One of my worst fears is to be trapped in burning building like that. Really sorry for those people. :(

Rktk

It's the law for any rental property to have smoke and heat detectors in the UK, come now.

I hope no one is seriously hurt... any news on that?

Zenner

Every now and then there's hug loud bangs and crashes - items inside blowing up, or structure parts failing - dang. :eek:

The firefighters are hosing down the trapped man's area from time to time; they know he's there. You can see red fire creeping up, one flight up and two windows to the right, of him.

Sakura said:
if I saw people dying or struggling for their lives, even if there was nothing I could do to help them, the last thing I would do is bust out my phone and film their anguish. Just seems like such a disrespectful thing to do.

If there's nothing else you can do, it's better to create a record of events; there's gonna be a huge inquiry after this, and all these people's lives need to be accounted for.

GHG

This is horrible.
How the hell does a fire jump from the second to 27th floor?

Flammable cladding on the outside of the building according to some of the residents.

One of the residents on Sky just said he wasn't even woken up by the fire alarms because they were so quiet, he woke up in time to get his family out by chance. He woke up randomly, went for a cigarette and then saw the fire.

Sounds like the building was ill-equipped in terms of fire safety.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
From a local group's website post in November 2016 on their fire fears from this tower.

It is a truly terrifying thought but the Grenfell Action Group firmly believe that only a catastrophic event will expose the ineptitude and incompetence of our landlord, the KCTMO, and bring an end to the dangerous living conditions and neglect of health and safety legislation that they inflict upon their tenants and leaseholders. We believe that the KCTMO are an evil, unprincipled, mini-mafia who have no business to be charged with the responsibility of looking after the every day management of large scale social housing estates and that their sordid collusion with the RBKC Council is a recipe for a future major disaster.
https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/

WiseguyMVP

Say a prayer for these people. Terrible to lose your home or your life this way. London just can't catch a break lately. :(

Gallbaro

Banned
This is horrible.
How the hell does a fire jump from the second to 27th floor?
If it is a new building knock-off fireproofing between the curtain wall and floor deck. See Dubai.

If it is an oldish building, usually penetrations for tenet services, like internet, where they run cable, plumbing, whatever, between floors and do not bother fireproofing.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
If it is a new building knock-off fireproofing between the curtain wall and floor deck. See Dubai.

If it is an oldish building, usually penetrations for tenet services, like internet, where they run cable, plumbing, whatever, between floors and do not bother fireproofing.

If you watch how this burned it engulfed the outer part of the building very quickly, and burned around to meet again in the back, very similar to that Dubai fire a year or so ago. You can see the cladding on this building burning off in the closeup shots too.

https://sourceable.net/risk-of-cladding-fire-in-skyscrapers-grows/

mingo

Man.... My gym is right opposite this building. I know some gym heads who live there... I hope they and their families are OK. I can see the smoke from my house and the helicopters been circling around all night.

This is horrible...I have nightmares of being away from my apartment and a fire starting with my dogs left inside :(
Has to be one of the worst ways to go...
RIP to those that died

Top Bottom