• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matthew Vaughn Confirms 'Man of Steel' Sequel Talks

Link.

While speaking with Hey U Guys at the press junket for Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Vaughn was asked about his potential involvement with Man of Steel 2. Fortunately, Vaughn had the response we were all hoping for.

"I am planning another Kingsman, I've written the treatment and some of the scenes," Vaughn said of his upcoming slate. "I don't know what I'm going to do next but I have had chats about Superman, I love Superman."

Monocle

Well OK, as long as he's on board with the Snyder edict of no smiles, joy, heroism, or authentic human emotion of any kind. Also he'd better be ready to desaturate the picture by about 90%.

MoS Superman is a Very Serious Guy.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Considering WB is pursuing Elsewords films, what guarantee is it that this is a Man of Steel sequel at all?
It's hard imagining an Elseworlds story that hits the tone that Vaughn so consistently attempts, versus that just being the tone they wish their Superman could have.

Sephzilla

The guy who gave one us of the best X-Men movies plus actually put the X-Men in uniforms that had color in them feels like an upgrade for a Superman story over Zack Snyder

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Nooooooooo, don't waste your time on this fucking borked universe, Mr. Vaughn.
Reboot or bust.

He'd be a great fit for Man of Steel since his movies are just as juvenile, soulless, and filled with crass and obnoxiously edited action as Snyder's.

He mentioned he wanted to do MoS2 back in July I think.

Did he say Man of Steel 2 or did he just say "Superman" like he did here?

I mean, it's probably a Man of Steel sequel (I can imagine he'd like to give Henry an opportunity to cut loose) but it might also be something completely different.

Also, Vaughn made Stardust. He's not always mister action-packed juvenile male-fantasy.

(He's good at that, though)

a916

I would like if he took a break from Kingsmen and revisited it after he's had a chance to let it breath... slip a movie in between the 2nd and 3rd... by doing Man of Steel 2.

I want the 3rd, but I kind of want him to take his time with it.

Monocle

He'd be a great fit for Man of Steel since his movies are just as juvenile, soulless, and filled with crass and obnoxiously edited action as Snyder's.
Snyder blew his life's allotment of mojo on 300.

Snyder would have to worship Satan in word and deed for 1000 years straight for half a chance to infuse a fraction of Vaughn's warm wit and dynamic style into another one of his own movies.

J_Viper

Vaughn is too hokey for me. I hope WB goes with someone else.

MoS2 still seems like vaporware, but if Supes gets his fair share of stand-out moments in JL, it'd be strange for WB to not follow up.

It's not like Cavill is getting much of a paycheck without Superman.
damn bro

Henry is a nice guy

Liamario

Banned
IUKOW9S.gif

Just sign on, Matthew. I'll give you like... 20 euros.
And to be honest, as much as I despise Mark Millar, he has a decent handle on Superman (and I'm not talking about Red Son). Him and Vaughn taking on Man of Steel 2? Fuck yes.

Mr. Hyde

Because when I think soulless, I think the dude who directed Stardust and Layer Cake. lol

Yeah that's a weird comment. His films are full of entertaining characters and creativity, even if you don't like them. Soulless is definitely not a word that fits his films. There is so much personality in each work he directs.

Snyder would have to worship Satan in word and deed for 1000 years straight for half a chance to infuse a fraction of Vaughn's warm wit and dynamic style into one of his own movies.

I think I missed the warm wit over Sam Jackson's lisping villain and all the ass-fucking jokes in Kingsman. But I mean...speeding up and slowing down time in every single action scene is technically dynamic so you may have a point there.

Because when I think soulless, I think the dude who directed Stardust and Layer Cake. lol

I mean, I don't think "soulful" either. Layer Cake's a fairly fun movie but he's only gone downhill.

Monocle

I think I missed the warm wit over Sam Jackson's lisping villain and all the ass-fucking jokes in Kingsman. But I mean...speeding up and slowing down time in every single action scene is technically dynamic so you may have a point there.
I hate to take a page from the neckbeard school of internet arguing, but complaints about the anal sex joke are so tired at this point that I can't muster more effort than it takes to send you to this article/review/whatever. My opinion of Kingsman is pretty well aligned with Film Crit Hulk's ideas.

Plus the action is great, SLJ's character is refreshing, and Eggsy is hot. There.

Vaughn should do Superman Red Son. It could be amazing.

Another Mark Millar adaptation where Superman is Russian is probably not a great call for current times. Especially if the biggest knock against Superman is that he doesn't cut a very heroic figure.

Restoring his heroism but making him RUSSIAN?

Ehhhhhh...

edit: Speaking of Film Gimmick Hulk has he dropped his 17k word utterly unedited live from his own colon reaction to Faraci pt II yet?

Monocle

Another Mark Millar adaptation where Superman is Russian is probably not a great call for current times. Especially if the biggest knock against Superman is that he doesn't cut a very heroic figure.

Restoring his heroism but making him RUSSIAN?

Ehhhhhh...

edit: Speaking of Film Gimmick Hulk has he dropped his 17k word utterly unedited live from his own colon reaction to Faraci pt II yet?
Well, last I checked he did drop the caps gimmick.

Raptor

At this point I dont even care, I just want another Superman movie as soon as possible with cavill, fishburne, adams.

SilentRob

Buried the lede here: There might just be a third Kingsman movie?!

I'm still under embargo but might I just say "holy shit fuck yes please"?

I hate to take a page from the neckbeard school of internet arguing, but complaints about the anal sex joke are so tired at this point that I can't muster more effort than it takes to send you to this article/review/whatever. My opinion of Kingsman is pretty well aligned with Film Crit Hulk's ideas.

Plus the action is great, SLJ's character is refreshing, and Eggsy is hot. There.

No worries, I always enjoy reading Film Crit Hulk. I understand the satirical core of the film but it falls totally flat for me because it's all trapped in this totally thin, ugly, blockbuster dressing that's actually trying harder to sell base entertainment than it does thumb its nose at those same virtues in the subtext. It's actually a very similar problem I had with Watchmen as well...speaking of which: the action really, really didn't do anything for me either. I hate the sped up thing he does and it didn't feel like any of the violence had any stakes and just looks like it was shot to be edited together for a punchy trailer.

Decado

Nooooooooo, don't waste your time on this fucking borked universe, Mr. Vaughn.
Reboot or bust.
This. Except the reboot part. Just stay away.

He is a great director, but I'd rather not see him spend two years on heavily studio controlled projects that would turn out much the same under any competent director.

Snyder films better action, and BvS is better than any Matthew Vaughn movie too tbh. Dawn of the Dead remake too. Maybe even watchmen

But I'm glad some people here aren't on the Vaughn kool aid. He gets awesome casts but all of his movies fall short of decent imo. His films are oddly full of crass humor too but I imagine that's all the mark millar adaptations. Plus they always look so damn cheap for some reason. Just compare first class to days of future past and there's a night and day diffetence.

I'm in for kingsman 2 tho thanks to the American side of things. I can't skip the concept of super spies teaming up with super cowboys

Top Bottom