• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matthew Vaughn Confirms 'Man of Steel' Sequel Talks

Red Son would have been cool a few years ago. Right now though in this political climate it's not such a good idea haha

Although I think a more politically charged filmmaker could do something interesting with it now or anybody really if they knew what they were doing

kswiston

Gay Superman who spends the whole movie saving the love of his life, Lewis Lane.

What levels of outrage would we see?

Less than if Superman spent the film protecting illegal immigrant children and minorities from abuses of power.

Both would be condemned for pushing social agendas. Even though the second one would be completely in character.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't co-sign all that as I like BvS and Vaughn's movies, but ain't nothing controversial about saying how cheap First Class looked. Maybe it ain't so bad if you compare it to other 2011 superhero movies in Captain America TFA, Green Lantern, and Thor.

Putting TFA in the same category as Green Lantern.

What?

Snyder films better action, and BvS is better than any Matthew Vaughn movie too tbh. Dawn of the Dead remake too. Maybe even watchmen

But I'm glad some people here aren't on the Vaughn kool aid. He gets awesome casts but all of his movies fall short of decent imo. His films are oddly full of crass humor too but I imagine that's all the mark millar adaptations. Plus they always look so damn cheap for some reason. Just compare first class to days of future past and there's a night and day diffetence.

I'm in for kingsman 2 tho thanks to the American side of things. I can't skip the concept of super spies teaming up with super cowboys

The hottest of takes

ZeoVGM

Banned
It always kind of amazes me how surprised people are by other people's opinions on movies.

I mean, saying Batman v. Superman is a better film than every single film Matthew Vaughn has ever made is an opinion that's going to turn some heads.

Because it's insanity.

Putting TFA in the same category as Green Lantern.

What?

Cap TFA is far, far better than Green Lantern. Thor, too. Strictly talking about how cheap they looked in terms of effects and such. I think Green Lantern was the most expensive yet ended up looking the worst.

I recall Shane Black talking about how fake the environments were at the end of Cap TFA, particularly when Tommy Lee Jones is driving Red Skulls car on that runway.

J_Viper

I mean, saying Batman v. Superman is a better film than every single film Matthew Vaughn has ever made is an opinion that's going to turn some heads.

Because it's insanity.

I agree with Disco

I think Kick-Ass is alright, mostly because of Nic Cage.

First Class and Kingsman are both rotten cheese

Snyder has got Dawn, 300 and Watchmen.

MoS and BvS are incredibly divisive, but I'll take even the weakest aspects of those movies over what Vaughn has to offer.

I recall Shane Black talking about how fake the environments were at the end of Cap TFA, particularly when Tommy Lee Jones is driving Red Skulls car on that runway.

Shane Black needs to sit the hell down, because he made the worst film in the MCU

I agree with Disco

I think Kick-Ass is alright, mostly because of Nic Cage.

First Class and Kingsman are both rotten cheese

Snyder has got Dawn, 300 and Watchmen.

MoS and BvS are incredibly divisive, but I'll take even the weakest aspects of those movies over what Vaughn has to offer.

Shane Black needs to sit the hell down, because he made the worst film in the MCU

We need someone to photoshop a whole squadron of Magnetos shrugging and floating away from the madness of this thread.

You can't say you agree with disco and then call iron man 3 the worst of the mcu dawgggg

That's not how this works

Bless up for the rest of the post tho. Vaughn aint shit. Bless him for that kingsman 2 cast tho

Blader

What will really blow your mind is realizing that Magneto could have been left in prison and Wolverine would have had an infinitely easier time accomplishing his mission to save Raven.

I mean, if they hadn't left Quicksilver at home for no reason, the movie would've been over.

Yeah, it's not like Wonder Woman was fantastic or anything.

In fairness, it's a problem with Superman. Matt Vaughn (if he were to get the job) would have to find a way to reasonably explain how his Superman evolved and developed from the character mess that was Zack Snyder's vision, or worse, be forced to continue Zack Snyder's shitty vision for the sake of the DCEU. People are going to point to "he died a shit hero and reincarnated as the comics superman! genius!" Except that it's terrible, contrived and unconvincing writing if that's what's going to happen.

Compare that to WW who is an existing character that really only had one major fight scene and sprinkles in between BvS, without showing much of her from a character development standpoint.

J_Viper

Iron Man 3 is stunningly terrible. Everything about that movie is garbage, EVERYTHING.

I'm still shocked that Feige let that one and El Mundo Oscuro out in the same year. Did he take a break in 2013?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yeah, it's not like Wonder Woman was fantastic or anything.

Wasn't it barely (not at all?) connected to the rest of the universe and set in a very different time?

You're witnessing some sort of weird fandom self-flagellating with all that shit. Half the time they seem completely unaware of the admitted sense of shame that serves as a base for that statement.

"These people I'm praising are too good for the thing I can't stop myself from consuming."

Like publicly warning better people off from their own "suffering" or whatever makes this bullshit sacrificial/noble somehow.

"IT'S TOO LATE FOR ME, MATTHEW! DON'T DO IT! I'M STUCK IN THIS HELL OF MY OWN MAKING BUT YOU DON'T NEED TO JOIN US! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!"

I haven't seen any of these movies since Man Of Steel.

You'll be in line, we'll all be, when they cast Daniel Craig as Putin in red son

They're never going to sign off on that movie being made.

You guys think it's 2005 or something. I don't get it.

Honestly, Vaughn could direct an adaptation of "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice" that would work really well.

But everyone's like "No, adapt the one semi-decent thing Millar's done in the last 20 years. You know, that one where Superman rules the world as a benevolent USSR dictator. In 2018. During a Trump presidency"

I mean, if they hadn't left Quicksilver at home for no reason, the movie would've been over.

The only reason they even bothered with Quicksilver was to break Erik out of jail who did nothing but make trouble throughout the movie. Even without QS, the mission to save Raven goes smoother without Erik.

I don't think he did a single they they absolutely needed for mission success.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Which is funny considering the bargain basement CGI in Iron Man 3.
I will not abide people shitting on IM3 beyond that, though.

Well OK, as long as he's on board with the Snyder edict of no smiles, joy, heroism, or authentic human emotion of any kind. Also he'd better be ready to desaturate the picture by about 90%.

MoS Superman is a Very Serious Guy.

tumblr_m44xssSoJp1qjgyuwo1_500.gif

Slaythe

In fairness, it's a problem with Superman. Matt Vaughn (if he were to get the job) would have to find a way to reasonably explain how his Superman evolved and developed from the character mess that was Zack Snyder's vision, or worse, be forced to continue Zack Snyder's shitty vision for the sake of the DCEU. People are going to point to "he died a shit hero and reincarnated as the comics superman! genius!" Except that it's terrible, contrived and unconvincing writing if that's what's going to happen.

Compare that to WW who is an existing character that really only had one major fight scene and sprinkles in between BvS, without showing much of her from a character development standpoint.

Wut ?

How is Superman a shit hero ?

DeathyBoy

Banned
Snyder films better action, and BvS is better than any Matthew Vaughn movie too tbh. Dawn of the Dead remake too. Maybe even watchmen

But I'm glad some people here aren't on the Vaughn kool aid. He gets awesome casts but all of his movies fall short of decent imo. His films are oddly full of crass humor too but I imagine that's all the mark millar adaptations. Plus they always look so damn cheap for some reason. Just compare first class to days of future past and there's a night and day diffetence.

I'm in for kingsman 2 tho thanks to the American side of things. I can't skip the concept of super spies teaming up with super cowboys

Sorry Disco, you're wrong.

Layer Cake is a God damn classic. It destroys any Snyder film, and any other Vaughn film. Best Craig performance, perfect Gambon, great writing, awesome direction.

Vaughn never got that peak again, but dude knocked it out of the stratosphere with his first film.

He's one of those guys who's far too good for big budget shock, but makes it anyway.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Apparently, saving the world twice doesn't mean anything. I guess he wasn't smiling enough for some.

People don't want arcs. They want pay off in the first film, Then they retell the story in the second. Like Bruce controlling Hulk in Avengers then relapsing in Avengers 2 because of reasons.

Matthew Vaughn can out-direct Zach Snyder in his sleep.

As a comic book fan and Iron Man fan in particular I hated Iron Man 3 when I watched it. It wasn't at all what I wanted out of an Iron Man sequel, the villain was crap, the story was dumb and the ending was messy. Also, for an Iron Man film it had very little Iron Man film in it.

That's my critique as a fan. As a regular moviegoer, it's a really entertaining and ridiculously fun action/comedy that is also very rewatchable. I've watched Civil War two times and I have no desire to watch it again. I've watched Iron Man 3 five or six times and I will watch it again.

Wut ?

How is Superman a shit hero ?

- Treats heroism as an obligation despite the fact that we're told he has a genuine interest in using his powers for good.
- Is told by equally shitty parents that he doesn't owe the world anything, and that he should be paranoid of everyone if he were to show his gifts. Which major fucks up his worldview.
- There's no charisma or personality to him because of how grim dark serious the movie is, which makes his character very unbalanced.

Apparently, saving the world twice doesn't mean anything. I guess he wasn't smiling enough for some.

Apparently some people have a hard time knowing that 1) context matters. And 2) an argument against superman isn't about "smiles", that's a pisspoor strawman developed by fans of the movie.

Which is funny considering the bargain basement CGI in Iron Man 3.
I will not abide people shitting on IM3 beyond that, though.

In his defense, he said that some months before he filmed Iron Man 3. Way back when he was attached to Death Note, where he was also candid about studio folk saying he should remove Ryuk from the story.

People don't want arcs. They want pay off in the first film, Then they retell the story in the second. Like Bruce controlling Hulk in Avengers then relapsing in Avengers 2 because of reasons.
No? Why not just do what comics do and have the basis of their hero's journey wrap up in the first arc and then move on to how that character would deal with other situations? It's not that people don't want character arcs, it's that they don't want that singular character arc dragged through multiple movies so they can finally get to the character they know and love. Maybe people would feel differently if Snyder's version of Superman was as interesting as the Superman they enjoy, but he isn't.

What you're asking for is basically a trilogy long origin story. Which sounds like the worst idea. These movie companies are dealing with properties that already have self contained stories that work both on their own and as a larger narrative. Each movie should be it's own self contained story that when viewed along with the rest of it's entries has a deeper meaning.

There is no good reason for it to take multiple movies for Superman to develop into the character everybody cares about.

Putting this guy in front of a monster whose about to blow the whole city up will save this shit post from meaning what it meant

Bleepey

- Treats heroism as an obligation despite the fact that we're told he has a genuine interest in using his powers for good.

Oh this is fun. I love this game. It involves you pulling bullshit criticisms out of your arse, being rebutted and ignoring me!

- Is told by equally shitty parents that he doesn't owe the world anything, and that he should be paranoid of everyone if he were to show his gifts. Which major fucks up his worldview.

So just like the Reeves film!. Why doesn't this scene count as him being taught good character?Or this one of him being told he has a lot to accomplish in the world but at the end of the day it's his choice. Throughout Snyder's films his parents stress choice, it is Clark's decision to make and yes even in the don't owe the world a thing speech. He isn't told be a good person just because (which he isn't told that in the Reeves version either (unless you wanna provide a clip showing otherwise (my money's on you can't but I am open to be proven wrong even if it probably won't be by you)

- There's no charisma or personality to him because of how grim dark serious the movie is, which makes his character very unbalanced.

Subjective

Apparently some people have a hard time knowing that 1) context matters. And 2) an argument against superman isn't about "smiles", that's a pisspoor strawman developed by fans of the movie.

Are people really pretending that not smiling isn't a common criticism? Like I heard people say the new Superman is amazing and when asked why the first and (honestly only shit) I hear is he smiles! Here are some other bullshit arguments

1)Superman save anyone in MOS!
He did many times. Infact multiples times more than Superman 1, and that's heroic feats and not just raw numbers

2) Yeah but context!! So many people died, unlike the Avengers who are shown saving people!
If you look at context, Superman thought 3 equally powerful superbeings who made it a point of duty to kill everyone in and off their path and not just an army of easily beaten expendable fodder that ignored people once they went to the Subways.There is just as much destruction in Avengers as Man of Steel the only difference is people aren't shown in distress in Avengers as much as in Man of Steel. Similar shit happened in CW. Couldn't have titled the video better.

Neophant

Not a big fan of Vaughn directing a sequel to Man of Steel, especially since I think a lot of the films he's directed are mean-spirited, unnecessarily violent and would probably fit closer to a model of how some people view Snyder's interpretation in a negative light. I mean, if he got a co-writer who's able to put a lighter, more optimistic touch then I'd be fine since it's clear he can direct action and can bring out great performances in actors like Craig and Colin Firth.

I'm also OK with taking Cavill's Superman and making him different from what Snyder envisioned, since after Snyder's Superman was just starting out and establishing himself as a hero in a world that's portrayed very similar to ours. He has absolutely been proven to be a hero and an inspiration to the people of the DCEU and I think it's a fine time for him to come back to world that welcomes him with open arms. Whether I think Vaughn is able to create that sense of scope and optimism remains to be seen.

Again: Vaughn doing a live-action version of "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice" with Henry Cavill that's more or less just standalone - no real continuity with anything on either side of it would work.

I kinda hope they do it now.

It allows for the more "Vaughn-y" side familiar from First Class and Kingsman to get some run, while also letting him indulge the charming adventure side from Stardust, and possibly some new areas that he could stretch into.

Vaughn can make a Superman movie, he can even make a Superman movie with Cavill that is loosely tied to the DCEU like Jenkins just did with Wonder Woman. It's not impossible. It doesn't have to be a direct continuation of Snyder's take, and it doesn't have to be fuckin' RED SON either.

There's a lot of options people aren't really entertaining here

Oh this is fun. I love this game. It involves you pulling bullshit criticisms out of your arse, being rebutted and ignoring me!

Everything to you is everyone else pulling bullshit criticisms out of someone's ass instead of looking at yourself in the mirror (ie, the fact that you STILL think this argument is about a numbers game, that MoS Superman saved more people so that objectively means all other interpretations are invalidated, which is not only asinine but intellectually lazy), so that's why I don't waste my time with you after that absolutely stupid thread you posted.

You're as stubborn as you are disingenuous. Especially considering your reaction to that one part of my post you quoted.

Top Bottom