• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Anarchy (JP) |OT| Bayonetta Too

Tain

Don't get me wrong, the combat felt awesome. Tight, heaps of options, cool characters, etc.

Problem is that I don't play pretty much any multi and was hoping for some sort of fleshed out SP campaign. I get the impression from the demo and the vids that this game sort of has a fighting game SP, tacked on. I'd love to be wrong as I have long holidays coming up and July is barren.

You played both sides of the demo, right? It definitely does seem like the fundamentals were given more focus than the campaign, but I was pretty surprised with it.

Alucrid

Banned
Jack and Leo are the two campaign playable characters. All sixteen plus Bayonetta are playable in multiplayer.

EDIT: Stupid fucking transformer keeps getting goals. Transformer kicked the shit out of me in the demo multi too. Transformer broken confirmed.

According to the Q&A on the official website, you can play as other characters in specific spots of the storylines. Also, once certain conditions are met, you're free to play as any character, including Bayonetta, in Story Mode.
http://www.platinumgames.co.jp/max_anarchy/?page_id=41
Great. I was going to say that only 2 characters dampened my spirits, but even if it's just a brief moment I'm fine with that.

Pietepiet

Played through the first chapter of the Black Side. There's a lot more story to it than I was expecting. Really enjoying the voice acting and animation!

Got into one multiplayer match so far. It's been kind of hard to find any matches. And holy crap, are those matches hectic. I got my ass kicked.

Ok, PlayAsia shipped the game and it's hopefully here one of the next days (if the German customs don't snatch it up again... happened to all my recent imports and it's a real pain to get it for me then)...

And YAY about Bayonetta for every first print copy :)

Even though I won't be playing too much until August (exam period, job and several assignments this month will eat time..) I happily provide my info :

CrazyArcadia; CrazyArcadia2; PS3

Played through the first chapter of the Black Side. There's a lot more story to it than I was expecting. Really enjoying the voice acting and animation!

Got into one multiplayer match so far. It's been kind of hard to find any matches. And holy crap, are those matches hectic. I got my ass kicked.

The story from what i've seen is a lot deeper than most games of its ilk, Max as a character is actually scary, The Baron is occasionally funny, especially when defending his machismo when his babygirl Matilda laughs at insults directed at him.. I'm surprised i'm digging the script this much.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Screw it I think Im going to go out right now and purchase the game. (If its sold out that will be fate telling me something)

Parakeetman

Your av is epic. my first pet was a Budgie

Great little birds they are. Pretty smart too for their size and they do seem to recognize people by their looks which I had found interesting.

---

Back on topic went out bought the game, will toss it in soon. Thankfully got the version with the Bayonetta DLC code packed in. :D

Great little birds they are. Pretty smart too for their size and they do seem to recognize people by their looks which I had found interesting.

---

Back on topic went out bought the game, will toss it in soon. Thankfully got the version with the Bayonetta DLC code packed in. :D

Didn't know that, mine were pretty smart, though their mortality rate in my care wasn't exceptional, its why i don't own any now.

on topic:

I had a feeling you'd get it, definitely share your early impressions

Parakeetman

Didn't know that, mine were pretty smart, though their mortality rate in my care wasn't exceptional, its why i don't own any now.

on topic:

I had a feeling you'd get it, definitely share your early impressions

I had noticed the whole recognition thing more when visiting a friends inn and his that I constantly played with and took care of during the busy times there remembered that. So it used to go crazy chirping every time after that when I would visit and take it out of the cage to play and such. Unfortunately the little guy passed away, but they went and got another budgie that looks almost the same, cept his beak is slightly different in color.

---

Currently working on DLing the bayonetta DLC, after that will most def write impressions here when I get some gaming time in with it and have a feel for the general bits.

Got the DLC, waiting for install to finish.

I had noticed the whole recognition thing more when visiting a friends inn and his that I constantly played with and took care of during the busy times there remembered that. So it used to go crazy chirping every time after that when I would visit and take it out of the cage to play and such. Unfortunately the little guy passed away, but they went and got another budgie that looks almost the same, cept his beak is slightly different in color.

---

Currently working on DLing the bayonetta DLC, after that will most def write impressions here when I get some gaming time in with it and have a feel for the general bits.

Got the DLC, waiting for install to finish.
i just recalled i had a female friend that would always pull my 3rd ones tail when i wasn't looking, she visited after a year and it would not leave its cage or make a sound. it hated her with raptor passion.

----
cool, i won't have my copy till late next week..i have a feeling there will be more DLC, but of who?

Parakeetman

Having played the game for a while found it to be an enjoyable beat em up. Its nice that there is an actual story mode too where you meet all of the crazy characters in the game. Lots of voice work too and is nice that the Japanese version has all the settings for both English and Japanese which includes the text and voice in 3 options. Voice / Subtitles / Menus.

The missions and what not are varied from what Ive seen so far and not too difficult, but some you will get cheap shotted on occasion.

With the combat, blocking does become important, so its good to remember that you can block and do dodge roll. Its fairly simple too with a weak (Square) and strong attack (Triangle). Then you have your special attack a weak and strong version which can be performed by holding down the R2 button and using either square or triangle. You can pop enemies into the air and then perform a tekken-ish type of air juggle. While caught up in that opponents cant break out of it apparently so its a lot of free hits if you can pull one off.

One of the more unique game modes for MP, though I just played against the bots is the simple 4 vs 4 american football type of game. I can see it being something enjoyable for groups of friends who want to have a bit more of an objective than totally kicking the crap out of each other. Would have been nicer though if the arena had a bit more interesting features to it. Such as traps, jump pads etc. Though for the most part its quite amusing and can lead to some pretty crazy fights over the ball.

The goals in that mode stay locked unless one of the teams has possession of the ball. With the ball in hand a meter starts to fill up. Once full the goal gate will open allowing for scoring by entering the goal zone or by successfully performing a special shot with the ball.

Thats about it for thoughts on the game for now. Overall am pretty happy, though just wish that the price of the game itself had not been so high. Since this really I think would garner more attention / impulse purchases if it was in the 5500 range tops.

Also Bayonetta is pretty badass, though her execution move takes a bit too much time.

Parakeetman

Some Bayonetta Foos ball..it looks kinda fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntofrqJ0XPE

Thats some good footage, gives a quite complete idea of what the game is all about. The player whos controlling Bayonetta isnt too bad either since they are actually paying attention to the objective which is to score goals and notice how they also run along side the ball carrier. The constant use of the 360 attack to keep people off is pretty well deployed also.

I can see the mode being quite fun for low and high level players. Even more so for those who have gotten the fighting side down and wanted something a bit more than just beating the crap out of each other haha.

Thats some good footage, gives a quite complete idea of what the game is all about. The player whos controlling Bayonetta isnt too bad either since they are actually paying attention to the objective which is to score goals and notice how they also run along side the ball carrier. The constant use of the 360 attack to keep people off is pretty well deployed also.

I can see the mode being quite fun for low and high level players. Even more so for those who have gotten the fighting side down and wanted something a bit more than just beating the crap out of each other haha.

I noticed the skillz with the 360 attack as well, i plan on tinkering with this mode, but my heart belongs to campaign mode, i'm digging the story immensely.

Parakeetman

Im quite surprised that trailers didnt try to sell the fact the game actually has a story. Since if it wasnt for this thread I would not have know there was one. Considering all the trailers and gameplay is basically from MP madness.

Im quite surprised that trailers didnt try to sell the fact the game actually has a story. Since if it wasnt for this thread I would not have know there was one. Considering all the trailers and gameplay is basically from MP madness.

They're misguided i think, chasing the COD crowd, i guess i can't blame them, but they missed an opportunity to show off some of these surprisingly endearing characters.

Pietepiet

Got my ass handed to me by an Ai Rin player. She could grab me from miles away, and I couldn't do shit.
Is there anything you can do to counter grabs?

2San

I'm kinda skeptical with this game, but with the summer drought coming, I'm interested. Brink did well on the timing, too bad the game was a piece of shit. Me and my mates really would've liked a co-op/versus game right now. Don't have a PS3 btw, so can't import. Even then I doubt my mates would be willing to import. SEGA must be in a really bad place.

I'm kinda skeptical with this game, but with the summer drought coming, I'm interested. Brink did well on the timing, too bad the game was a piece of shit. Me and my mates really would've liked a co-op/versus game right now. Don't have a PS3 btw, so can't import. Even then I doubt my mates would be willing to import. SEGA must be in a really bad place.

Xbox version is region free.

Nibel

So a have two questions

1) is the 360 version better than the PS3 one? I remember Vanquish and Bayonette running a tad better on the 360..

2) What do you guys think: is Max Anarchy deep enough to create a own community? I would love to see a game like this at EVO for example..

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So a have two questions

1) is the 360 version better than the PS3 one? I remember Vanquish and Bayonette running a tad better on the 360...

I generally assume PS3 ports are the worst, but that was only the case for Bayonetta. Bayonetta's PS3 version was handled by SEGA, and had a lot of problems associated with quick and dirty ports. Vanquish however was pretty much equal across both platforms, if anything the PS3 version averaging a slightly higher framerate and marginal graphical improvements (eg: longer shadow render distance). If I recall correctly, the team (might have been Mikami) stated they chose the PS3 version as the lead SKU specifically to give the team experience with PS3 development.

The demo of Anarchy Reigns looked and performed fine on the PS3, but I don't have the 360 version for comparison.

Nibel

I generally assume PS3 ports are the worst, but that was only the case for Bayonetta. Bayonetta's PS3 version was handled by SEGA, and had a lot of problems associated with quick and dirty ports. Vanquish however was pretty much equal across both platforms, if anything the PS3 version averaging a slightly higher framerate and marginal graphical improvements (eg: longer shadow render distance). If I recall correctly, the team (might have been Mikami) stated they chose the PS3 version as the lead SKU specifically to give the team experience with PS3 development.

The demo of Anarchy Reigns looked and performed fine on the PS3, but I don't have the 360 version for comparison.

Okay; well I had some slowdowns when there were big explosions on the screen, but the rest looked fine. Thanks for clearing that up :)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Got my ass handed to me by an Ai Rin player. She could grab me from miles away, and I couldn't do shit.
Is there anything you can do to counter grabs?

You can tech them by pressing grab.

It's designed so you can react to them, but with latency sometimes you can miss the window even if you're anticipating them.(common day 1 demo strategy was to poke with light vs guard then grab)

If they're grabbing you from across the map then its gonna be weird.(Sometimes you can't break. Sometimes you get the break much further in the grab animation than is normally allowed.) so my advice is just mash grab when you think you gonna get grabbed lol.

2) What do you guys think: is Max Anarchy deep enough to create a own community? I would love to see a game like this at EVO for example..

Former yes. Latter no chance.(solely because the game has no offline multiplayer options. There's really no point in meeting in person for tournaments. You'd need a console, station and internet connection for each player in each match)

but the game seems fun and has enough content to support people playing for a long time. I can definitely see a group of dedicated players playing this for a good while online. I would be surprised as hell if the playerbase completely disappeared in a month or two

monome

My copy should arrive by wednseday but I ll be away...

In the meantime XBOX players can find me under monome.
Looking forward to indulge in unabashed violence with you guys.

Very much lookg to the SP story. I loved Madworld s one, thought it was brilliant how thr game ended having a valid Noir story.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Copy just arrived

Gonna add all PSN folk and sink my teeth into this shit

B00TE

As it now turns out, I'll be able to buy my 360 copy next week! Hopefully nothing happens to change that. So hype!

Dat 2-3 week wait after I place the order will suck.

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
Just found out that you can get a free code for the extra DLC modes from the game's Japanese website, so I thought I ought to share that info here! Visiting the Max Anarchy Asylum at http://maxanarchy.jp/bar/, hitting the menu icon at the bottom, and clicking on the option with Oinkie will let you play a little luck-based minigame. Earning 500 points from the minigame, hitting the x in the top right, and then hitting the download button under your points total will bring up the option to generate a code for the DLC, for either PS3 or Xbox.

The two extra modes the code unlocks are a helicopter battle mode and a variant on Survival, they both seem pretty fun! It takes a little while to build up enough points for the code, but this method is free and certainly beats buying a Japanese PSN/Xbox card.

Parakeetman

Oh man that minigame is going to take forever, but cool stuff bout the DLC and thanks for the info!

Top Bottom