• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Anarchy (JP) |OT| Bayonetta Too

B00TE

Dumb question that I probably already know the answer to, but...

Is the 360 version of this game region locked? And if yes, do I need a Japanese 360 to play it or is there some workaround I can use?

the 360 version is not region locked.

EDIT: Beaten! Really need to refresh the page s'more.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This game looks so god damn awesome. :( Going to suck waiting for it

edit: wait it's fully in english? Any place not super expensive to get it?

Nemesis_

My copy was attempted to be delivered but I was not available so it's waiting at my distribution centre.

Not leaving where I am until later on today.

Hope I get home in time to grab it and give it a good go

I'm in Australia and playing on 360. Add me! Nemesis556

Tain

So earlier in the thread I said this:

me said:
I'm willing to bet that this game's singleplayer content will absolutely stomp all over MadWorld despite this being a multiplayer-focused game.

And after playing tonight, yeah, I'm 100% sure of it. The campaign is awesome so far. I'm still early (mostly just cleared the first region on Hard), but there have been some seriously varied missions and satisfying fights in here.

rozay

Banned
Really wish this had local co-op or multiplayer, would've bought it right now if it did. Probably going to wait for the price to drop, but really happy the import version can be played in english.

Jawmuncher

Main OP needs to be updated to talk about the SP, since I know enough people have gotten their hands on it now. That's my biggest question before I decide to buy it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm willing to bet that this game's singleplayer content will absolutely stomp all over MadWorld despite this being a multiplayer-focused game.

It's structurally really similar. You run around a stage collecting points to unlock the next events

I agree that they actual missions are mostly better, but the stages themselves seems kind of pointless to me. Where in madworld there was a sort of an incentive to explore to find new hazards for new scoring potential, there's not really anything like that here.(Besides the blue safes I guess) It seems they're just there for you to mash on grunts until you build up Rampage for the next mission

It's easy to forgive since the bulk of this game was designed for multiplayer, but I don't think the single player content can really stand on its own. I definitely don't think it's better than MadWorld

I'm not completely finished with it yet though, so maybe my opinion will change once I've fully completed the game.(still need to check out Hard difficulty. Played on Normal for Trophies as first run)

Jawmuncher

It's structurally really similar. You run around a stage collecting points to unlock the next events

I agree that they actual missions are mostly better, but the stages themselves seems kind of pointless to me. Where in madworld there was a sort of an incentive to explore to find new hazards for new scoring potential, there's not really anything like that here.(Besides the blue safes I guess) It seems they're just there for you to mash on grunts until you build up Rampage for the next mission

It's easy to forgive since the bulk of this game was designed for multiplayer, but I don't think the single player content can really stand on its own. I definitely don't think it's better than MadWorld

Damn, was hoping the case here would be different.
I kI don't think i'll grab this Day 1 for 60. Probably wait for 40.

I beat the first level of the campaign (Black Side) on Hard mode yesterday and I'm enjoying this much more than I did Mad World. The combat is much more satisfying.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I HATE mutants.

Just because unless you have your killer move bars charged up, good luck with trying to stun them so you dont get plastered by their attacks.

Nemesis_

It's a really weird game but I am slowly getting used to it.

Any tips or hints for a new player that I might be missing? >_>

I have been having trouble really gelling with the combat system - particularly on Hard Mode where the first battle with Durga is absolutely obliterating me - there doesn't seem to be ANY OPENINGS! I feel like I'm doing something wrong here.

And why can I sometimes activate missions and other times it takes me to what looks like a mission list? >_>

Is there any punishment for dying?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
And why can I sometimes activate missions and other times it takes me to what looks like a mission list? >_>

Is there any punishment for dying?

1: Wait till your character goes and sticks his finger in his ear haha. No seriously its how you know you can activate the mission. As stated do it too early and you get the mission list screen.

2: Not in the free roam mode. In missions yeah it effects your score / rank.

Tain

I'm not completely finished with it yet though, so maybe my opinion will change once I've fully completed the game.(still need to check out Hard difficulty. Played on Normal for Trophies as first run)

The free roam stuff is filler, yeah, but it goes fast. I always found playing for score in MadWorld to be horrible, so I prefer Anarchy's approach of just killing dudes fast to get rewarded with the next mission.

Hard mode is also probably making a huge difference for me. I could picture cruising through this on Normal and not being nearly as pumped about it as I am now. MadWorld's Hard mode, on the other hand, wasn't all that different from its Normal mechanically, and I had already seen all the sights in Normal by the time I unlocked it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Man, fucking GHOST town online on PS3. There are literally no people playing matches in half the modes.

Yeah, seems to be almost all team deathmatch and survival/mad survival when I play. Which is fine...those are the modes I want to play most.

B00TE

Deathball looks silly awesome. As does Battle Royale. Shame it sounds like it'll be hard to get matches.

I hope my copy ships out this week!

Nemesis_

For those who are worried and dont accept hearsay, I can 100% confirm this is region free.

The game and achievements even revert to Anarchy Reigns when you play it, and the full game is localised.

Makes you wonder why the game is delayed when its essentially done.

Volcynika

For those who are worried and dont accept hearsay, I can 100% confirm this is region free.

The game and achievements even revert to Anarchy Reigns when you play it, and the full game is localised.

Makes you wonder why the game is delayed when its essentially done.

Because Sega.

Can't wait for tonight, PS3 version only hours away.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It plays 1000 times better than MadWorld did.

I'm purely talking about the single player content and the free roam stages

It obviously plays alot better

The free roam stuff is filler, yeah, but it goes fast. I always found playing for score in MadWorld to be horrible, so I prefer Anarchy's approach of just killing dudes fast to get rewarded with the next mission.

I agree but I always just did that in MadWorld too. Just explored the stages to find new hazards to throw dudes in until the next part opened up.

Hard mode is also probably making a huge difference for me. I could picture cruising through this on Normal and not being nearly as pumped about it as I am now. MadWorld's Hard mode, on the other hand, wasn't all that different from its Normal mechanically, and I had already seen all the sights in Normal by the time I unlocked it.

Yeah I'm hoping hard will change my mind. Because right now getting Platinum on every mission is cake as long as you bring Rampage into the mission. I think there's only two free missions in all of Black Side that I got gold in my first run through

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So PSN folks anyone want to try and get some games in later tonight?

robot

Probably been asked/answered a million times, but can I redeem my Bayonetta & other DLC code w/ my US username or do I need a JPN username? Will the content carry over to my US account if I need to redeem on my JPN one?

So PSN folks anyone want to try and get some games in later tonight?

I'm down, I'll be around 9pm est. I don't have a mic though.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Probably been asked/answered a million times, but can I redeem my Bayonetta & other DLC code w/ my US username or do I need a JPN username? Will the content carry over to my US account if I need to redeem on my JPN one?

You need a Japanese PSN to redeem the codes and you will be able to use the content on your main account.

DLC works more like demos and PSN games than game saves. Can be used universally across all profiles on the system regardless of account region

kodecraft

This is what was important to me, Mad World was awesome, and this looked like it was Mad World 2 with multiplayer, but if the single player adventure is not as good as Mad World, I'll have to wait for a price drop, even if I am a fanboy of the devs.

Arklite

My opinion won't count for much since I don't have a Wii, but watching MadWorld made it look like it was a chore to play with it's style and soundtrack carrying the game. Max Anarchy looks to be the more polished game between the two, and even though all of the crazy stuff is primarily made for multiplayer it still comes together to form insane single player scenarios. I've only seen a walkthrough of MadWorld, but everything on single player seems much better with Anarchy. Better presentation, better scenarios, more characters, two sides to single player, and better music (a feat, considering MadWorld's soundtrack).

If you liked MadWorld because it was a stylish beat em up then you'll get that tenfold here. If you liked it for other reasons then I don't know....buy the Anarchy soundtrack.

Another cool fact I just realised, Rose McGowan voices the ice girl!

Thats wild, she does a good job with the character of Sasha.. the voice talent in this game has its moments for sure.
Will be ordering the game tomorrow morning, how long could it possibly take to get here with the fastest shipping?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I think if you enjoyed MadWorld, Max Anarchy's single player will be pretty satisfying to you.

I just don't think it's a huge improvement. It's also not any worse than madworld on any level.(Also unlike MadWorld, there's quite a bit of incentive to replay. I was done with MadWorld after a single playthrough but you won't even see all the story in Max Anarchy with less than 2 or 3)

Also keep in mind that my opinion is from the perspective of someone that bought this for the multiplayer and liked MadWorld the least of all PG's titles

kodecraft

My opinion won't count for much since I don't have a Wii, but watching MadWorld made it look like it was a chore to play with it's style and soundtrack carrying the game. Max Anarchy looks to be the more polished game between the two, and even though all of the crazy stuff is primarily made for multiplayer it still comes together to form insane single player scenarios. I've only seen a walkthrough of MadWorld, but everything on single player seems much better with Anarchy. Better presentation, better scenarios, more characters, two sides to single player, and better music (a feat, considering MadWorld's soundtrack).

If you liked MadWorld because it was a stylish beat em up then you'll get that tenfold here. If you liked it for other reasons then I don't know....buy the Anarchy soundtrack.

This. To me Anarchy seems like Mad World 2, just an inprovement of what was already established in 2009. Soundtrack is still on Par with the first, better presentation?...color perhaps is all.

This is Max's Mad World Anarchy!

Yeah I think if you enjoyed MadWorld, Max Anarchy's single player will be pretty satisfying to you.

I just don't think it's a huge improvement. It's also not any worse than madworld on any level.(Also unlike MadWorld, there's quite a bit of incentive to replay. I was done with MadWorld after a single playthrough but you won't even see all the story in Max Anarchy with less than 2 or 3)

Also keep in mind that my opinion is from the perspective of someone that bought this for the multiplayer and liked MadWorld the least of all PG's titles

Cool, well I think I am a rare breed as I liked Bayonetta the least of all of PG's titles.

If only the game had a budget so that all the characters would have had a SP story campaign. Since they do have quite the varied rogues gallery.

The Baron is hilarious.

That would put the game over the top for me, especially if they're even half as fleshed out as the Black or White campaigns.. definitely a missed opportunity, though through no fault of their.. but being able to eventually play as any character through the campaign is a great addition.

lupinko

I'm down, I'll be around 9pm est. I don't have a mic though.

Japanese DLC requires Japanese account to redeem.

I'm probably going to import this very soon.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Haha finally get the game and Internet is dead until someone comes to fix it on Friday. Campaign time baby.

robot

Mad Survival (one of the modes from the DLC) is insane. It's 3 people against 5 rounds of teams consisting of the main cast. Gets pretty wild.

Just fought 2 Maxes and 3 Butler bots - Butler bots are bananas!

robot

Holy shiiiiiiit! I just fought a giant robot in Mad Anarchy mode called Cthulhu. He started shooting giant beams across the screen, then transformed and hovered over us raining a fiery death. Was twice the size of any character I've seen so far. My jaw was on the floor for the 4 minutes we lasted against him.

I wasn't even mad I couldn't beat him - felt like we were fighting a hidden boss or something, unbelievable.

If you haven't grabbed the DLC from that sega site, I would highly recommend it. Regular Anarchy mode is a bit easy, this is some crazy shit.

Holy shiiiiiiit! I just fought a giant robot in Mad Anarchy mode called Cthulhu. He started shooting giant beams across the screen, then transformed and hovered over us raining a fiery death. Was twice the size of any character I've seen so far. My jaw was on the floor for the 4 minutes we lasted against him.

I wasn't even mad I couldn't beat him - felt like we were fighting a hidden boss or something, unbelievable.

If you haven't grabbed the DLC from that sega site, I would highly recommend it. Regular Anarchy mode is a bit easy, this is some crazy shit.

He's in the campaign too, some characters can kill him in 4 hits, but he is terrifying..Bartender bots are demon spawn O__O

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
He's in the campaign too, some characters can kill him in 4 hits, but he is terrifying..Bartender bots are demon spawn O__O

I think his stamina has gotta be higher outside of Campaign

I was surprised how much I was able to shave off his health with just Rin Rin's jumping KW attack compared to facing him in the demo

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MadWorld's shtick was incorporating environment hazards and tools into kill combos. In that respect, Max Anarchy is quite different. It's more of a traditional brawler, where points are rewarded for chaining together combos.

HUB-like environments are straight out of MadWorld though. Structurally the game is all about grinding points to unlock missions. It's a lot of fun.

It's enough MadWorld for me to draw similarities, and with enough difference for me to realise it is a different game too. I would love to see another MadWorld down the track, both the monochrome art and tool/environment kill combing, as I quite enjoyed it.

Keasar

MadWorld's shtick was incorporating environment hazards and tools into kill combos. In that respect, Max Anarchy is quite different. It's more of a traditional brawler, where points are rewarded for chaining together combos.

HUB-like environments are straight out of MadWorld though. Structurally the game is all about grinding points to unlock missions. It's a lot of fun.

It's enough MadWorld for me to draw similarities, and with enough difference for me to realise it is a different game too. I would love to see another MadWorld down the track, both the monochrome art and tool/environment kill combing, as I quite enjoyed it.

And with more Howard "Buckshot" Holmes and Kreese Kreeley.

Top Bottom