• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 Design and Tech video on Bullet Time - OUT NAO

tci

I knew Rockstar would do something stupid. Changing the main gun, and claiming he have always used the 1911. lol

I guess they didn't have time to actually play the first games.

Haunted

untitled-1ldlmb.png

Who the fuck put that video together. The 1911 has never even been in the series before. How could it be Max's favorite? Remedy wouldn't have fucked up like this.
*cancels preorder*

I knew Rockstar would do something stupid. Changing the main gun, and claiming he have always used the 1911. lol

I guess they didn't have time to actually play the first games.

Or maybe their marketing department was like "whatever".

The three scenes at the end before the title should be GIFed. That's cool.

What they should have said was "Max's new favourite". No one would have an issue then.

Santar

It's very possible that all the info on the weapons are just put in these small weapon showcase vids.
For all we know Rockstar haven't actually changed anything in the actual game.

Blutonium

People can't seriously be getting hung up about what type of handgun he uses.
If you are a real fan of this and paid close attention to what handgun he uses, you really have too much time on your hands. I've played through the previous games several times and it never once crossed my mind as to what type of handgun he uses.
I think it's a beretta, but again; it really has no relevance.

If it bothers you that much, I'm sure there will be mods for the game which turn the guns into berettas or whatever his chosen handgun was.

What? It's an obvious fuck up. Max Payne's handguns of choice are Beretta's. If a new Zelda-trailer would be released with Link holding a weapon - which has never even been in the series before - saying it's 'Link's weapon of choice' would be flatout dumb.

If you've played Max Payne, you were bound to see Beretta all over your screen numerous times. It's not some obscure known fact. On top of that, what if Rockstar got more important things wrong?

Still buying this day 1

Liamario

Banned
What? It's an obvious fuck up. Max Payne's handguns of choice are Beretta's. If a new Zelda-trailer would be released with Link holding a weapon - which has never even been in the series before - saying it's 'Link's weapon of choice' would be flatout dumb.

If you've played Max Payne, you were bound to see Beretta all over your screen numerous times. It's not some obscure known fact. On top of that, what if Rockstar got more important things wrong?

Still buying this day 1

Where is it written that his choice of gun is the beretta? Where does he say that it's the only gun he ever uses? There is no story based reason that he only uses the beretta.

Jackpot

Banned
Where is it written that his choice of gun is the beretta? Where does he say that it's the only gun he ever uses? There is no story based reason that he only uses the beretta.

Um, for starters, he's a cop. And a beretta is one of the common police-issue sidearms. How's that for a story based reason? And the fact that in both games he's started out with the beretta and other guns are ones he's picked up from dead enemies is a teeny-tiny indication that it's his choice of gun.

SamuraiX-

@Prodigy_83 @xxShamalxx @BSRK_01163 @JustoDaDon The 1911 in Max Payne 3 is inspired by the handguns seen in previous Max Payne games

smfh

Stay up on your high horses and keep fightin' dat good fight, R*!

Liamario

Banned
And a beretta is one of the common police-issue sidearms.
But it's not the only police issue gun though is it?

Quoting from Wikipedia-"Police in the United States...... Among the most common sidearms are models produced by Glock, Smith & Wesson, SIG Sauer,Beretta, and Heckler & Koch, usually in 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 SIG (US Secret Service & other Federal Law Enforcement agencies) or .45 ACP."

There is nothing in the plot that would suggest that he has any allegiance to that particular firearm. And in fact there may actually be a plot point in this game as to why he is using the M1911

Quoting again-
"Many military and law enforcement organizations in the United States and other countries continue to use (often modified) M1911A1 pistols including Marine Corps Special Operations Command, Los Angeles Police Department S.W.A.T. and L.A.P.D. S.I.S., the FBI Hostage Rescue Team, F.B.I. regional S.W.A.T. teams, and 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment—Delta (Delta Force). The Tacoma, Washington Police Department selected the Kimber Pro Carry II or Pro Carry II HD as optional, department supplied weapons available to its officers."

Fjordson

Awesome.

These last two and a half weeks are going to be painfully slow. Though I can't wait 'till online streams start popping up during that last weekend. I still remember desperately searching for GTA IV and Red Dead.

I actually managed to catch like 30 minutes of Red Dead. Got me so hyped (and then it was taken down, R* is quicker than most it seems at getting streams nuked from orbit).

-BLITZ-

Max uses beretta as you can see in many graphic novel, concept arts, mag covers and through the gameplay. In both games, Max owns beretta and Mona is using an Eagle. R* used this, to show that both characters have different taste, how they do their job with their guns and many other aspects that Max doesn't have towards Mona and vice versa in the storyline.

One thing I will like to know if Colt will appear on the first levels and beretta will start to show after couple of levels like how you get in both games, advance through the levels, you get better and stronger weapons. This is important for me. Yep, I would prefer to play the in the first levels will beretta more.

Max_Payne_2.jpg

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Everyone knows Max's main handgun is the Beretta. R* should've known that.

I think the reason this stands out so much is that R* is usually the king of small details, and while stuff like this bugs me, It stands out more here because of all the other stuff they're doing right.

I don't get this. Why is a corridor shooter on two disks unless there are insane amounts of uncompressed video and audio?

I find it weird as well. I just don't understand how a 10 hour linear shooter could take up so much space. Rockstar be hiding something.

Fjordson

FANS OF THE SERIES.
Not uniformly true. As a longtime Max Payne, I don't think I could possibly care less. Thought the first few upset posts were people joking to be honest...

I don't get this. Why is a corridor shooter on two disks unless there are insane amounts of uncompressed video and audio?
It is a little strange. I keep thinking that it's going to be a few hours of fake TV shows, given how hard the lead gameplay designer dodged the question about them in his interview with Patrick Klepek from Giant Bomb. I've seen the R* newswire poster dodge the question as well a few times before that.

Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

geebee

Banned
lol why are you guys so hung up about Max's gun in the trailer? It's just a fuck up by someone in marketing.. someone that probably barely played the game.. much less any of the previous Max Paynes.

I find it weird as well. I just don't understand how a 10 hour linear shooter could take up so much space. Rockstar be hiding something.
Super DRM. The game itself is just one small part of the security system rather than the other way around.

I'm curious as hell to know too. I don't get it.

Loxley

I did actually think to myself as soon as that caption came up "Wait, didn't max use Beretta's in both 1 and 2? When did he ever use a 1911?". Granted I wasn't outraged (lol), I was actually more surprised by the fact that I even remembered that.

I think the 1911 is a much cooler handgun than the Beretta anyway, so I'm not complaining :)

They updated it:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...-3-1911-semiautomatic-pistol-new-video-s.html

*updated to reflect a correction from the earlier version of the video - Max's original go-to dual wielding pistols were of course the Berettas. We apologize for the error and thanks to all the fans (and our lead designer) who caught this in the original video!

I'm not sure if they just cut out the bit with 'Max's favourite gun' or they added something else in place of that. That bit where he pistol whips the dude?

untitled-1ldlmb.png

Who the fuck put that video together. The 1911 has never even been in the series before. How could it be Max's favorite? Remedy wouldn't have fucked up like this.

I see this was caught!

Its important to get the right guns! I mean killing fools is a intimate experience you have with your guns, thats important!

However, I do like the 1911 better than the Beretta though

dreamfall

They updated it:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...-3-1911-semiautomatic-pistol-new-video-s.html

I'm not sure if they just cut out the bit with 'Max's favourite gun' or they added something else in place of that. That bit where he pistol whips the dude?

I'm glad they updated it! I've got faith in Rockstar. I really do. The Beretta issue looks to be addressed, and this game is coming out so soon. My love, and anticipation is reaching critical status.

It shall be grand!

Simo

I can't wait for all the raging when folks find out the Beretta technically isn't in the game.

They just trimmed the video by 3 seconds and removed the snippet entirely. Personally I'd favor Max using the Desert Eagles and he even upgraded to dual wielding in MP2!

dreamfall

I can't wait for all the raging when folks find out the Beretta technically isn't in the game.

They just trimmed the video by 3 seconds and removed the snippet entirely. Personally I'd favor Max using the Desert Eagles and he even upgraded to dual wielding in MP2!

Dual wielding Desert Eagles is pretty insane! Though, I've always been a Dual-SMG Payne lover myself.

I wish this game was coming out tomorrow. The wait is getting difficult. Haven't been this hyped for a game in a while. Feels good man. Don't think I'll be disappointed. R* has made me a very happy man this whole gen.

dreamfall

I wish this game was coming out tomorrow. The wait is getting difficult. Haven't been this hyped for a game in a while. Feels good man. Don't think I'll be disappointed. R* has made me a very happy man this whole gen.

Amen to this! I thought that GTA just kept getting better with every Episode, Red Dead is a dream (fave game this gen!) and I loved L.A. Noire (even if the bodies were a little stiff!).

But I'm a Rockstar lover. Forever!

Top Bottom