• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 Design and Tech video on Bullet Time - OUT NAO

Reposting for new page, since I ended that one at the last... post.

First comic issue comes on Thursday!

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...ue-1-after-the-fall-coming-this-thursday.html

Presenting the cover for Max Payne 3 Issue #1: "After the Fall", the first in a three part comic series from Rockstar Games, produced by Marvel to be released as a digital graphic novel this week Thursday, May 3rd (it will also be released in limited print editions later in May).

Max Payne 3 Issue #1: "After the Fall" is written by Dan Houser and Remedy's Sam Lake, and features cover art from Greg Horn and pencils and inks by Fernando Blanco. The three part series will delve deep into Max's dark personal history, and "After The Fall" features characters from all three Max Payne games as the series weaves together events from various points in Max’s life.

Max Payne 3: "After the Fall" will be released for free download via the Rockstar Newswire, the Max Payne 3 Official Site and additional digital comic channels. Stay tuned for more updates.

First cover:

actual_1335560600.jpg

I warn you now, there might be spoilers in this article (first three hours of the game):

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/345795/previews/max-payne-3-hands-on-with-the-first-3-hours/

It details a new area (the night club, if this rocks like Collateral, fuuuuuuuuu) as well as the opening. It also details the presentation and mood/atmosphere. Sounds fantastic. Since this area hasn't been shown before (but we've seen bits in the trailer), you may not wanna read if you want to keep it a surprise.

Some bits I liked (I'll avoid spoilers best I can). I've blacked out stuff that you might want as a surprise, don't highlight it or read these quotes if you wanna be surprised, I'm serious.

This is because, in Rockstar's hands, Max is something other than the walking action movie cliché he was in the first game or the noir archetype he became in the second. In this, his third outing, Max is simply presented as a drug-addled, depressed alcoholic. He doesn't want to get better. He doesn't want to stay sober. It seems that what he wants, above all else, is to annihilate his brain cells and wallow in his own misery. In Rockstar's hands, Max is his own biggest problem, and by applying their trademark aesthetic of gritty realism, the developer has forced Max to man-up in a way and infused the IP with a maturity it never had until now.

Rockstar's presentation of this scene adds a thin layer of menace - and not just because this is a Max Payne game. Between the pounding soundtrack, flashing lights and the crush of people in the club, it becomes clear that, should any ugly situation arise, it'll be an absolute nightmare to contain - a fact that isn't helped by
Max knocking back shot after shot
. The cutscene also judders and strobes occasionally, adding to the player's sense of disorientation, so when the camera reveals a group of thugs taking up positions around the club, it feels logical that Max wouldn't have noticed them.

So Rockstar can do grit and Rockstar can do style. But as Max pursues
Fabiana's kidnappers
through Club Moderno, Rockstar plays two more trump cards in its hand. First, the developer expertly laces all the explosive gunfire with plot developments, which makes progression feel organic. Max's internal monologue, his exchanges with
Passos over the radio about Giovanna
and his random encounters with terrified club patrons push the narrative in tandem with each action set-piece. There's even time for some comic relief in the men's room with
another ex-cop
. The point is, you never feel like you're running between identical rooms, blowing away bad guys solely so you can get to the next cutscene.

In a sequence worthy of a Ringo Lam film, Max hurtles through corridors avoiding sniper fire, cuts through several rooftops while dropping bad guys en route and drops down on a crew of thugs through the roof of a chopshop. The environments he blazes through - the dilapidated apartments, the slush-covered roofs and a booze-slick bar - look disgustingly seedy. It's almost as though someone took the interior of Club Ragnarok from the first Max Payne game, and expanded it to the length of three city blocks.

There's more, but I won't post it. But Max's narration sounds like it'll be awesome, funny and a little messed up. The soundtrack also sounds like it'll be great, perfectly dealing with whatever situation Max finds himself in (reading through this, I think I can get why HEALTH was chosen). The opening seems wonderfully understated. The supporting cast, by the sound of this article, sounds a lot like the GTA-esque dickheads we usually see in GTA (over the top assholes), but we'll see how it goes.

Also:

valjvartnasta405901jxf31.jpg

valjvartnasta405891dmdlc.jpg

valjvartnasta405911eedbq.jpg

Blutonium

So who is making the OT? Is it NotTheGuyYouKill? The person that's making it should include my spreadsheet in the first post. Hopefully lots of GAFfers will fill it in that way.

I took the liberty to make a Google Doc spreadsheet where we can share multiplayer account names. It should be editable to anyone with the link and a Google/Gmail account, please let me know if this is correct.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjZX8Rqd0ALddDlQcHd0MnN6X1JLWDB1dTBIdTNNdEE

I warn you now, there might be spoilers in this article (first three hours of the game):

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...first-3-hours/

It details a new area (the night club, if this rocks like Collateral, fuuuuuuuuu) as well as the opening. It also details the presentation and mood/atmosphere. Sounds fantastic. Since this area hasn't been shown before (but we've seen bits in the trailer), you may not wanna read if you want to keep it a surprise.

Some bits I liked (I'll avoid spoilers best I can). I've blacked out stuff that you might want as a surprise, don't highlight it or read these quotes if you wanna be surprised, I'm serious.

There's more, but I won't post it. But Max's narration sounds like it'll be awesome, funny and a little messed up. The soundtrack also sounds like it'll be great, perfectly dealing with whatever situation Max finds himself in (reading through this, I think I can get why HEALTH was chosen). The opening seems wonderfully understated. The supporting cast, by the sound of this article, sounds a lot like the GTA-esque dickheads we usually see in GTA (over the top assholes), but we'll see how it goes.

Also:

the ARRRRRRRRRRRRRT

zkylon

zkylewd
Comicbook cover is boss!

But Max's narration sounds like it'll be awesome, funny and a little messed up. The soundtrack also sounds like it'll be great, perfectly dealing with whatever situation Max finds himself in (reading through this, I think I can get why HEALTH was chosen).
All of this is great, the narration sucking (as it does on the trailers) is my number 2 fear...

The supporting cast, by the sound of this article, sounds a lot like the GTA-esque dickheads we usually see in GTA (over the top assholes), but we'll see how it goes.
...number 1 fear being the Housers slamming their own imprint of adding annoying over the top characters like they did with Red Dead.

It's actually possible this way. the weight of the bottom part of the bottle will push the neck of the bottle against the area where thumb and pointy finger meet.
Looks weird nevertheless.

Comicbook cover is boss!

All of this is great, the narration sucking (as it does on the trailers) is my number 2 fear...

...number 1 fear being the Housers slamming their own imprint of adding annoying over the top characters like they did with Red Dead.

Looks weird nevertheless.

Well, from the article, I think the narration and Max's character have hit all the right notes, so I think you can lay that fear to rest.

With the side characters, it can go either way, I think. The scene described takes place in a club, which generally has a ton of assholes congregating. I think ultimately the side cast will be alright. Hopefully, Dan Houser has toned down the over-the-top stuff. The characters described seemed from the outset to be kind of asshole ish anyway.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well, from the article, I think the narration and Max's character have hit all the right notes, so I think you can lay that fear to rest.

With the side characters, it can go either way, I think. The scene described takes place in a club, which generally has a ton of assholes congregating. I think ultimately the side cast will be alright. Hopefully, Dan Houser has toned down the over-the-top stuff. The characters described seemed from the outset to be kind of asshole ish anyway.
There's a special Dan Houser brand of annoying that I don't mind so much on the GTA games, but I feel are totally distasteful in more serious stuff like Red Dead or Max Payne. Most of the previous Max Payne characters were memorable in a good way and even if you hated their guts, they all had their little clever things in the writing.

Great news about the narration, though.

You should go and replay some of the old games. It had some pretty annoying and ridiculous characters.

I mean, the one level in MP2, you were protecting a dude dressed up in a Captain Baseball Bat costume.

0.jpg

I think this is another case of people remembering Max Payne being more serious then it actually was...

You should go and replay some of the old games. It had some pretty annoying and ridiculous characters.

I mean, the one level in MP2, you were protecting a dude dressed up in a Captain Baseball Bat costume.

0.jpg

I think this is another case of people remembering Max Payne being more serious then it actually was...

The Trojan horse is not what it used to be. Odysseus must be rolling over in his grave.

"Back in my day, we built a hundred foot tall fucking horse! Stupid fucking mobsters! Why would you put that on in front of him!?"

0.jpg

Yeah I was gonna say....Gognitti was somewhat over the top for a character in the MP world

Fjordson

We've barely heard any narration, but it's all sounded spot on to me. The bits of dialogue on the official site are good as well.

Also, I don't know if over the top characters are totally new to Max Payne. I just played through most of the first game last week, and I'm thinking back to the Ragnarok level. With the mobster turned evil occultist as the boss. "MYTHIC WOLVES, LET LOOSE TO DEVOUR THE SUN AND THE MOON...LUPINO IS THE WOLF! THE FLESH OF FALLEN ANGELS! COME TO ME!"

If all the characters here are like that, then I'd agree that it could get a little old, but both of the first two games were peppered with some extreme weirdness/silliness (Vinnie Gognitti running around in a Basball Bat Boy costume complaining he can't fit his head through the door comes to mind also).

And Houser's last game (Red Dead) had some characters that were pretty normal in my eyes. Marston, the Marshall, Abigail, Landon Ricketts, Bonnie, etc.

But thanks for sharing that article mate. Sounds very cool. And like you said, it sounds like HEALTH did a great job on the soundtrack. Can't wait to hear it.

Edit: beaten badly :p

Simo

Reposting for new page, since I ended that one at the last... post.

First comic issue comes on Thursday!

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...ue-1-after-the-fall-coming-this-thursday.html

First cover:

actual_1335560600.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/345795/previews/max-payne-3-hands-on-with-the-first-3-hours/

Also:

1299867456_the-situation-is-shocked.gif

...is the only appropriate response I have right now though I love coming home from work to find a nice dose of new Max Payne 3 news. Now to read those impressions and more...

I took the liberty to make a Google Doc spreadsheet where we can share multiplayer account names. It should be editable to anyone with the link and a Google/Gmail account, please let me know if this is correct.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjZX8Rqd0ALddDlQcHd0MnN6X1JLWDB1dTBIdTNNdEE

Awesome, well done! Adding my XBL tag in there now.

Max Payne 3 |OT| I was in a Rockstar game. Funny as Hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of

I vote this one. It's great on so many different levels.

I didn't immediately realize, but there was a preview event where the Club Moderno stuff was shown, so I expect more previews and stuff to pop up.

There are two articles from the Verge, one a preview, one... not a preview exactly.

From the Verge (a few bits I liked, read the whole article if you're interested):

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...-max-payne-3-is-at-its-heart-a-game-about-max

True to its roots, 'Max Payne 3' remains a game about Max

Absorbed by all of that cinematic gunplay, those flying bullets and the cacophony of metal jackets skittering across the floor, it's easy to forget what separates Max Payne from all of those other shooters. This isn't a game just loaded up with blood and bullet time. What really adds weight to the experience is Max Payne the person, a broken, whiskey-guzzling drug addict who is as much running from his past as he is toward his certain, bullet-riddled future.

Max Payne 3 feels like a game that doesn't just remember Payne's past, but wants him to answer for it.

The colors separate and glide back together as Payne wanders the room in an old undershirt thinking to himself about his painful past. The screen flashes momentarily to show us what a younger Payne might look like in this same scene, shaved, hair combed back, wearing a familiar black leather jacket.

"What do I have to lose" he asks during that momentary relapse to his younger days, "besides the weight?"

And then he's back. He's drinking Kong whiskey. He's falling to the ground weeping.

I think it's a little less spoilery than the CVG one.

The other one:

Read this one, people

'Max Payne 3' is a character study shaped by addiction and violence

I think it's a really good one, and now we know why the visual presentation is what it is and Max as a character:

The music overwhelms. The lights are so white they bloom and bleed together. Colors separate, glide apart to form double, triple visions of the same scene. Max Payne needs a drink. Max Payne needs a pill. Max Payne can't cope without a glass bottle in his hand, or a plastic one in his pocket.

The latest game from the people who created the rich, wide-open world of Grand Theft Auto is a comparatively singular experience, the story of a man whose wife and daughter were killed, who has taken hundreds of lives and who survived so many shootouts with a seemingly endless supply of painkillers.

Max Payne 3 is, in the vernacular of video games, a third-person action shooter, but in the hands of Rockstar's deft artists the game approaches an interactive character study, an antidote to the consequence-free, non-reality of most video games.

Max Payne is a functioning alcoholic and drug addict, a byproduct of all of those lives lost in previous games. This sequel doesn't just remember that, it embraces it.

At first glance, Max Payne 3 may look familiar to fans of video game shooters. You play as a solid, gun-toting ex-cop shooting it out with a bunch of bad guys in a variety of settings from the alleys of New York City to the favelas of Sao Paulo. But everything from the deep narrative to the stunning visual effects of the game were informed by Payne's dual addictions to painkillers and alcohol, said Dan Houser, vice president of Rockstar Games.

"From a narrative standpoint, (addiction) is entirely central to the game - the story depends on it, and it is built into the story, and the entire flow of the game is built around it," Houser told Polygon. "From a visual design perspective, we wanted the visual effects to give the impression of a blurred somewhat hazy look that would give a sense of someone stoned on booze and heavy painkillers."

Even the game's notable use of bullet time is intertwined with his addictions, Houser said.

"We wanted Max's hazy drunken perspective to also feel vaguely similar to when he is in Bullet Time, as if Bullet Time, which is when he is at his best and almost super human, is also something of an addiction to him - like the moment when he feels most himself," Houser said. "It is playing the game (and the previous games) that has, to some extent put him in this state."

Signs of Payne's clear addiction to both whiskey and painkillers are threaded throughout the game. The game's cutscenes often involve Payne with a bottle in his hand. We see him passing out. We see him waking up. He hallucinates moments from previous games, remembers himself as a younger, more fit, more hygienic Payne.

In gameplay the world seems constantly in motion, as if twitching around him. When he pops a painkiller, something he has to do to heal himself in the game, a fog seems to fall around Payne and the world for just a second, everything seems to dull.

The goal in creating the visual twitches, filters and effects of the game was to give the impression of a "middle-aged, functioning but somewhat addled drunk," Houser said.

While addiction is a cornerstone of Payne's character, Houser is adamant that's not what the game is about.

"In this game ... we are not tackling the issue of addiction, but we are looking at the character and actions of a man who has problems with substances, but also a lot of other problems," he said. "There is a subtle but important difference. It's a shooter about a drunk, somewhat morose, widowed ex-cop, trying to find some kind of peace with himself. It is not a game about the realities of being a drunk in terms of the need to drink. It is a game about being Max Payne."

In layering a character study about a man warped by the violence he has both witnessed and inflicted, onto a violent video game, Rockstar has created something surprisingly complex.

"Flaws provide friction, and friction and conflict is what drives stories, so for us, it would be harder to make an interesting game about a more perfect person," Houser explains. "A man who has spent his life killing, even in the service of his idea of what is right or wrong, is going to be extremely damaged. That seemed the only way to approach this game and it is who this character is."

The end result is a game that weighs the violence of video games and dishes out real world repercussions to its conflicted hero.

"He wants to be a thinker but he's much better as a doer," Houser said. "When he thinks he gets wrapped up in himself or makes mistakes. When he acts, he is brilliant, almost super-human. That is his character, and the dichotomy between the two is the reality of his life, and at the heart of the game. He cannot seem to move forward emotionally, but physically he is relentless."

RSG_MP3_174.jpg

Simo

Awesome. I'm still reading over the C&VG piece which is really nicely written but it's causing my hype to hit ridiculous heights right now. And it's only Monday.
Still, what has become apparent with our time with Max Payne 3, is the fact that Rockstar have kept everything that fans expect from this franchise while putting their own indelible stamp of authenticity on the IP. Max Payne 3 isn't the bundle of action movies tropes the first game was, or the dramatic bloody valentine its sequel was. Max Payne 3 is a tale of murder, intrigue and betrayal. It's the perfect marriage of stylish action and hard-boiled noir. And we can't wait to get our hands on the final build.

"He wants to be a thinker but he's much better as a doer," Houser said. "When he thinks he gets wrapped up in himself or makes mistakes. When he acts, he is brilliant, almost super-human. That is his character, and the dichotomy between the two is the reality of his life, and at the heart of the game. He cannot seem to move forward emotionally, but physically he is relentless."

That is the best description of Max as a character I ever read.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine

That is the best description of Max as a character I ever read.

Seriously, its what I thought of when reading that.

In R* I trust.

Top Bottom