• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 Hands-On Previews: "Max Payne is Back!"

Simo

maxpayne3_onlinepreviews100611.jpg

"Max Payne 3 takes the feel of the first games and coats it in glorious HD... Bullet Time -- the ability to slowdown time, leap through the air and blast your enemies -- is back, but it looks better than ever... From the moment I heard that piano tune to the moment I heard James McCaffrey reprise his role as a man whose family was stolen away in a violent crime, I was hooked. Max Payne is back."
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1198563p1.html

"The game looks gorgeous... The camerawork is inspired as well, often exhibiting a slight handheld shake and natural movement in the story sequences I saw... mobsters were rushing up the stairs of Max's apartment building and starting to pierce the windows in his hallway with red-dot sights. Down a hallway, a hobo suddenly appeared, dressed in an army jacket, clearly wearing a bomb on his body and spouting some sort of madness. He runs to Max in the middle of a firefight after shotgunning some enemies for Max, then gets blown up. It was weird, surreal and excellent."
http://kotaku.com/5847289/we-watched-them-play-max-payne-3--and-we-were-very-impressed

"With its flashy effects and cinematics as you kill your final enemy, Max Payne 3 is big on style. But, with its thrilling gun battles, detailed environments and Max’s noir-style inner monologue, it looks to have the substance nailed too."
http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/gaming/max-payne-exclusive#image-rotator-1

"I am so floored that Rockstar has been able to stay true to the fundamentals of what makes Max, Max. Rockstar even has the full blessings of Remedy, the original developers of the Max Payne series. Max Payne 3 is looking like one of the biggest games of 2012."
http://www.destructoid.com/max-payne-3-is-everything-i-hoped-for-and-more-212817.phtml

"Max Payne 3 is looking like the true sequel loyal fans of the series will want to play and, most importantly, embrace."
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20116275-1/max-payne-3-is-looking-like-a-true-sequel/

Hype+100. I think I need to load Max Payne 1 after I beat the second one...again.

max-payne-3-20111005113841661.jpg

max-payne-3-20111005113840619.jpg

Grisby

Great! I was a bit meh after seeing the trailer but this is some good news. I hope the Brazil stuff turns out good as well.

It's an inevitability, and it always was, that this game is going to fucking wail and make the complainers look like the lamewads they are.

Ok all those quotes are about cinematic business and all what not that I don't care about. Somebody tell me if this game is fun to play and how well it compares to Max Payne 2.

Dabanton

Lostconfused said:
Ok all those quotes are about cinematic business and all what not that I don't care about. Somebody tell me if this game is fun to play and how well it compares to Max Payne 2.

Why don't you read the articles?

I wouldn't trust an IGN, Kotaku and especially Destructoid preview any farther than the distance I can leap while diving in bullet time.

Which isn't far.

But still, I guess this is pretty positive.

Simo

I don't suppose a mod could fix the thread title? I assumed from Rockstar's article they were hands-on impressions but it was just a case of the press being invited out to Rockstar NY and a rep demoing 2 areas. My bad!

Reading all the articles....everything is sounding great and the concern over melee, I don't think I ever used it in MP1&2 anyways. The tip about NPCs speaking fluent Portuguese with no subtitles was a nice touch.

Lostconfused said:

Lostconfused said:
Don't care enough to waste my time readin the article.

If you have the time to make two stupid posts, you can read the article rather than having someone read for you. Freaking spoiled brat.

I find it odd that no one has brought up the cover system already. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, probably won't know until I get a hands-on chance myself. Could it work for MP3? Sure, I guess, but it heavily depends on how it feels.

IchigoSharingan said:
If you have the time to make two stupid posts, you can read the article rather than having someone read for you. Freaking spoiled brat.
If I did have the time I would have already read the article. And if this was just a presentation than reading the article would have been a complete waste of time since my questions wouldn't be answered.

Lime

Since when did previews ever become reliable or indicative of the product? A Rockstar one even...

Won't people ever learn or aren't the people falling for the hype aware of the integrity of both game journalists and especially previews?

Blutonium

Marleyman said:
In what way?

Drive run shoot, drive run shoot, drive run shoot, drive run shoot? Still loved GTA4 though.

Ontopic: I'm still a bit skeptical. The trailer did not blow me away. I really DO hope Rockstar has been faithful to noir-formula. On top of that: motherfucking Euphoria with motherfucking bullettime!

54-46!

I'm still very skeptical, I really hope this isn't as generic as it looks and that it has a lot of that old atmosphere.

Fucking fantastic! Love the new shots and all the positive previews.

My most anticipated game of 2012.

Can someone make me an avatar from the first image with Max smiling?

[Nintex]

Meh Rockstar has the marketing touch we had articles like this about LA Noire before release and then it came out and we had amazing reviews and suddenly it wasn't cool anymore when the marketing money dried up. The same goes for Red Dead Redemption and Mafia 2

[Nintex] said:
Meh Rockstar has the marketing touch we had articles like this about LA Noire before release and then it came out and we had amazing reviews and suddenly it wasn't cool anymore when the marketing money dried up. The same goes for Red Dead Redemption and Mafia 2

Mafia 2?

Fjordson

darth_infamous said:
I find it odd that no one has brought up the cover system already. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, probably won't know until I get a hands-on chance myself. Could it work for MP3? Sure, I guess, but it heavily depends on how it feels.
The articles say it's not really a big focus. You can peak out and shoot from it, but it's really all about diving around in bullet time.

Angry Fork

None of the quotes speak on the game's dialogue or atmosphere. The most important part of the first 2 games. Fuck bullet time and flashy bullshit if they don't get those 2 right.

Previews are always positive bullshit anyway. And when it comes to Rockstar every review is a glowing dick riding marathon. Red Dead Redemption deserved no more than an 8 but it's apparently the greatest shit to come out of gaming in 2010. smh.

People know my opinion on this already from all the bitching i've done. I have no faith in this game. The 'flashback' portions will probably be okay, but I do not like, want, or care about the brazil shit.

Top Bottom