• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 Hands-On Previews: "Max Payne is Back!"

Simo

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Fucking fantastic! Love the new shots and all the positive previews.

My most anticipated game of 2012.

Can someone make me an avatar from the first image with Max smiling?

maxpayneo.jpg

Khezu

[Nintex] said:
Meh Rockstar has the marketing touch we had articles like this about LA Noire before release and then it came out and we had amazing reviews and suddenly it wasn't cool anymore when the marketing money dried up. The same goes for Red Dead Redemption and Mafia 2

Huh? RDR still gets lots of praise, some people don't care much for it sure, but it didn't have any kind of LAnoire of GTA4 backlash. Also they didn't make Mafia 2, so uh ya.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Angry Fork said:
None of the quotes speak on the game's dialogue or atmosphere. The most important part of the first 2 games. Fuck bullet time and flashy bullshit if they don't get those 2 right.

Previews are always positive bullshit anyway. And when it comes to Rockstar every review is a glowing dick riding marathon. Red Dead Redemption deserved no more than an 8 but it's apparently the greatest shit to come out of gaming in 2010. smh.

People know my opinion on this already from all the bitching i've done. I have no faith in this game. The 'flashback' portions will probably be okay, but I do not like, want, or care about the brazil shit.

Sounds like you've already drawn your conclusions about the game. Why bother reading info about it at all?

The RockPaperShotgun preview said it still uses the same kind of cutscenes, but with renders instead of drawn comics, and it has narration too. Sounds like the atmosphere is at least based on what it was in previous games.

Funny how you care more about the horrible writing than the actual gameplay.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Fucking fantastic! Love the new shots and all the positive previews.

All previews are positive. So I wouldn't take that as evidence of anything.

Angry Fork

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Sounds like you've already drawn your conclusions about the game. Why bother reading info about it at all?

The RockPaperShotgun preview said it still uses the same kind of cutscenes, but with renders instead of drawn comics, and it has narration too. Sounds like the atmosphere is at least based on what it was in previous games.

Funny how you care more about the horrible writing than the actual gameplay.
For me when it comes to Max Payne gameplay is secondary to the atmosphere, setting and dialogue/characters. I don't care about how many bullet sponge baddies you can kill, I don't care about flashy HD character models these previews keep gloating over, or the euphoria bullet time bs. That's all bullshit if there's no emotional, meaningful story and the hard biting noir dialogue from the first 2 games.

I just don't like the setting at all. Sunny skies is not Max Payne to me. I wouldn't mind at all if this game were under a different name, I'm sure the game is going to be great action game but I do not believe it'll be a great Max Payne game. This game is looking worse than Splinter Cell Conviction imo in terms of changing shit that doesn't need to be changed.

edit - I read the info btw because Max Payne 1/2 are in my top 5 fav. games of all time, they're my favorite shooters of all time. They're almost perfect in my opinion so I'm always reading up on new shit from the 3rd game even if I disagree with what Rockstar is doing.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Angry Fork said:
For me when it comes to Max Payne gameplay is secondary to the atmosphere, setting and dialogue/characters. I don't care about how many bullet sponge baddies you can kill, I don't care about flashy HD character models these previews keep gloating over, or the euphoria bullet time bs. That's all bullshit if there's no emotional, meaningful story and the hard biting noir dialogue from the first 2 games.

I just don't like the setting at all. Sunny skies is not Max Payne to me. I wouldn't mind at all if this game were under a different name, I'm sure the game is going to be great action game but I do not believe it'll be a great Max Payne game. This game is looking worse than Splinter Cell Conviction imo in terms of changing shit that doesn't need to be changed.

edit - I read the info btw because Max Payne 1/2 are in my top 5 fav. games of all time, they're my favorite shooters of all time. They're almost perfect in my opinion so I'm always reading up on new shit from the 3rd game even if I disagree with what Rockstar is doing.

You:
-loves Max Payne
-thinks bullet time with euphoria animation is bullshit

Me:
-head explodes

You obviously care a lot about aspects of the game that did nothing for me, so there's nothing to really debate. I can respect that your opinion is based on different criteria than mine. I have played half/most of MP1, and I just started MP2 in earnest last night, so I'm certainly not a dedicated fan. If the action feels good, I'll like MP3. I don't care where it's set, and I don't care how much it looks like the old games.

Let me ask this, though. Given that you think the first two are almost perfect, how much would your ideal Max Payne 3 deviate from their original design? I frankly don't think a 3rd person shooter that played like those games could make it as a full price retail game, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, either.

Another new image.

RSG_MP3_126-620x.jpg

I think when MP3 finally comes out and Angry Fork tries it and it turns out he loves it and has a gamer boner for it, I'm gonna collect all his posts and make a Max Payne 3 poster out of it and have him sign it.

ctrayne

Angry Fork said:
Previews are always positive bullshit anyway. And when it comes to Rockstar every review is a glowing dick riding marathon. Red Dead Redemption deserved no more than an 8 but it's apparently the greatest shit to come out of gaming in 2010. smh.
I have no opinion on MP3 yet, so I can't comment on the rest of your post, but this is exactly how I feel. Surprised to see someone else say this.

Simo

Anybody going to to the New York Comic Con next week? Rockstar will be doing a 30 minute hands-off presentation of the game from the 13th to the 16th.
Please join us at this year’s New York Comic-Con for a hands-off demonstration of our next title, Max Payne 3. Rockstar Games will be located at booth #1604 and we will be taking appointments.

To book, please send me an email with your preferred time, as well as how many guests will be joining you, as space in the demo booth is limited. The demo lasts approximately 30 minutes, and appointments are available every half-hour and on the hour.

Please find the details below. Thanks, and let us know if you have any questions.

What: Rockstar Games Presents Max Payne 3: Hands-Off Demonstration

Where: Booth # 1604
Jacob K. Javits Center
655 West 34 Street
New York, NY 10001

When: Thursday, October 13: 4pm to 6:30pm
Friday, October 14: 10am to 6:30pm
Saturday, October 15: 10am to 6:30pm
Sunday, October 16: 10am to 4:30pm
**Appointments are available every half-hour and on the hour (e.g. 5pm, 5:30pm, 6pm, 6:30pm etc.)

Angry Fork

hey_it's_that_dog said:
You:
-loves Max Payne
-thinks bullet time with euphoria animation is bullshit

Me:
-head explodes

You obviously care a lot about aspects of the game that did nothing for me, so there's nothing to really debate. I can respect that your opinion is based on different criteria than mine. I have played half/most of MP1, and I just started MP2 in earnest last night, so I'm certainly not a dedicated fan. If the action feels good, I'll like MP3. I don't care where it's set, and I don't care how much it looks like the old games.

Let me ask this, though. Given that you think the first two are almost perfect, how much would your ideal Max Payne 3 deviate from their original design? I frankly don't think a 3rd person shooter that played like those games could make it as a full price retail game, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, either.
Euphoria is amazing, as long as they have everything else in tact (which they don't at all so far except the OMGFG SO COOOOL BULLET TIME LOLOL SO COOOOL SHOOT EVERYTHING IN SLO MOTIONZ GUYSZZ so much funnnzzz) like I don't care I can shoot people for no reason in tons of other games. Max Payne was different because it had much more going for it than just bullet time. The atmosphere was so fucking raw and Lynchian. It was creepy and nightmarish. The dialogue was so sharp, everything just oozed style and noir suavity.

I'd feel safe if I knew Remedy was doing it, that's the only way I'd be 100% on board. But at the moment I just don't want Max Payne in a sunny, bright, Uncharted world traveling haha let's smile and party environment.

Simo said:
Anybody going to to the New York Comic Con next week? Rockstar will be doing a 30 minute hands-off presentation of the game from the 13th to the 16th.
I think I'll definitely go now. I wasn't going to go before because I felt like there wasn't enough game stuff but I'll go to check this out and maybe be able to bitch at whatever dev is there about brazil. Do you have to email them about an appointment or you just go there and sign up or whatever?

squidyj

Zoramon089 said:
. . .
But why?

Probably because he's decided to take action rather than wallowing in despair and depression. Two things I learned from Bryan Cranston of Breaking Bad (SEASON FINALE OMG) Bald men are more intimidating than men that are not bald. Men with beards are more intimidating than clean shaven men. Seems like Max is looking to make a physical transition from someone who's been pushed around and lives in a depression to someone who is capable of taking charge and being intimidating, controlling. That's like a "shit just got real" moment.

That's the way I read it anyway and it fits with pretty much everything we've seen to date.

squidyj

Angry Fork said:
Euphoria is amazing, as long as they have everything else in tact (which they don't at all so far except the OMGFG SO COOOOL BULLET TIME LOLOL SO COOOOL SHOOT EVERYTHING IN SLO MOTIONZ GUYSZZ so much funnnzzz) like I don't care I can shoot people for no reason in tons of other games. Max Payne was different because it had much more going for it than just bullet time. The atmosphere was so fucking raw and Lynchian. It was creepy and nightmarish. The dialogue was so sharp, everything just oozed style and noir suavity.

I'd feel safe if I knew Remedy was doing it, that's the only way I'd be 100% on board. But at the moment I just don't want Max Payne in a sunny, bright, Uncharted world traveling haha let's smile and party environment.

I think I'll definitely go now. I wasn't going to go before because I felt like there wasn't enough game stuff but I'll go to check this out and maybe be able to bitch at whatever dev is there about brazil. Do you have to email them about an appointment or you just go there and sign up or whatever?

I don't think sunny bright haha lets smile is something you really need to worry about. As much as it might be sunny in Brazil I think the focus will be more on the decay, rot, and mold. On the predatory nature of the rampant criminal element in the favelas, on the detritus and dirty nature of everything there. I could see going to a sun-drenched beach of perfect white sand and only an ultimate employer on there to highlight the artificial sterility and that almost illusionary tightly controlled environment that that sort of upper class individual can enjoy in ignorance of the dirty and wild life of the favelas. So... sun? yes, happy happy smile fun time? not so much.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Another new image.

RSG_MP3_126-620x.jpg

I think when MP3 finally comes out and Angry Fork tries it and it turns out he loves it and has a gamer boner for it, I'm gonna collect all his posts and make a Max Payne 3 poster out of it and have him sign it.

Oh look it's Die Hard 4.0 game adaptation finally.

Angry Fork said:

Why do you constantly assume that the place will be like that instead of a criminal cesspool shit hole?

RSG_MP3_120.jpg

RSG_MP3_131.jpg

squidyj

NotTheGuyYouKill said:

This is the one thing I don't like out of what I've seen. There's so much noise in the skin on his face it doesn't look good. It's not like it's a well-implement detail texture that looks like pores it's more like someone applied a bunch of white noise to his face, it looks bad.

ctrayne

squidyj said:
I don't think sunny bright haha lets smile is something you really need to worry about. As much as it might be sunny in Brazil I think the focus will be more on the decay, rot, and mold. On the predatory nature of the rampant criminal element in the favelas, on the detritus and dirty nature of everything there. I could see going to a sun-drenched beach of perfect white sand and only an ultimate employer on there to highlight the artificial sterility and that almost illusionary tightly controlled environment that that sort of upper class individual can enjoy in ignorance of the dirty and wild life of the favelas. So... sun? yes, happy happy smile fun time? not so much.
All very true, but the atmosphere is still different. Part of being "noir" is the dark city streets with a lone streetlight shining down, fog, rain, etc.
I'm sure the game will be great, but I can understand the disappointment over the radical location change.

squidyj

ctrayne said:
All very true, but the atmosphere is still different. Part of being "noir" is the dark city streets with a lone streetlight shining down, fog, rain, etc.
I'm sure the game will be great, but I can understand the disappointment over the radical location change.

Disagree. Noir is not quite so specific and I think this will be quite noir. It might not be the same entire aesthetic represented in the first two games but I don't think it's appropriate to call out it's 'noirness'.

I get a real 'Man on Fire' vibe from the move to a hot, sweaty, cesspool of crime versus the old-school shadowy, gritty locales.

I approve the move.

ctrayne said:

There's a lot of great noir that isn't like that at all.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is Max going to control properly or is it going to have that unresponsive goofy character handling that all the other RAGE engine games have had?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Angry Fork said:

I see where you're coming from, but again, it's hard for me to relate to your position on shooting guys in slow motion. That's the core of Max Payne for me. And I know that you shoot guys in a lot of games, and the setting is what really sets MP apart, so it's not crazy for you to emphasize that.

However, your assessment of the environment as bright sunny smile party suggests to me that you think the superficial aspects of the environment are the sole (or at least most important) determinant of the overall tone of the game. I think they could quite possibly create a dark tone in a bright environment, but we haven't seen enough footage or gameplay to make that assessment yet.

Angry Fork

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I see where you're coming from, but again, it's hard for me to relate to your position on shooting guys in slow motion. That's the core of Max Payne for me. And I know that you shoot guys in a lot of games, and the setting is what really sets MP apart, so it's not crazy for you to emphasize that.

However, your assessment of the environment as bright sunny smile party suggests to me that you think the superficial aspects of the environment are the sole (or at least most important) determinant of the overall tone of the game. I think they could quite possibly create a dark tone in a bright environment, but we haven't seen enough footage or gameplay to make that assessment yet.
That's the same thing people said about Resident Evil 5 and that turned out to just be a decent/good action game but not scary. All I'm saying is I think this game will be a great action game at the moment but I can't see it being Max Payne in this setting.

I do think they'll have noir elements for sure, and they'll have the gritty elements of Brazil and things will be dark but I don't like any sun in a Max Payne game =P it should always be night, snowing, foggy, etc. things like that imo. And if you're indoors it's isolated, dirty, creepy environments. To each his own though I know why people are liking the way the game looks your opinion isn't wrong or anything.

So far I've read the articles from Giant Bomb, Kotaku and IGN, and I loved what I've read about their demo impressions. March can't come soon enough.

I've read about six press previews, and I'm excited, especially since the implication seems to be along with some of the surreal stuff in gameplay, the dream sequences are implied to make a return.

JCtheMC

Rules for posting on GAF about sequels:

1.) If the game is a sequel, even if it scores 11/10 across the board, it will never be as great as the original.

2.) If it's exactly the same as the sequel, even if that sequel is 10+ years old and aged badly, has clunky gameplay and poor graphics, it's perfect - if it is in any way different, improves mechanics, graphics or innovates on the original in any way shape or form, it sucks balls.

3.) If a game looks great, gets praise across the board from the press, and the developer and has never made a truly bad game - it's guaranteed this game will be an atrocious piece of shit you shouldn't care about.

I know i'm breaking all the rules here by saying this game looks great, i love the setting and how max looks, i'm very interested in how the new approach to cutscenes looks and i trust Rockstar to make this great... but that's how i feel about this.

Alex

Bully is my favorite Rockstar game by a good portion so even though I never really cared for Max Payne prior I'm going to give it a go. I think it looks great so far, though I wish he kept his hair, the model looks a lot better with it

Simo said:

I hope they show some footage later on during or after NYCC...

.la1n

I am not even sure the people writing these previews are old enough (or possibly intelligent enough) to understand what old school Payne fans would want out of a sequel.

edit: but hey the past two generations have been the time to drag our old favorites through the mud.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
.la1n said:
I am not even sure the people writing these previews are old enough (or possibly intelligent enough) to understand what old school Payne fans would want out of a sequel.
How about the people here that played and liked the original two Max Payne games that are looking forward to Max Payne 3?

Old enough we have to be or we wouldn't know it. And by the process of elimination everyone that is looking forward to it must be an idiot. Okay.

Gamebaron said:
I hope they show some footage later on during or after NYCC...
On their Q&A blog yesterday they said we'll see a new video sometime this month, so they'll probably release the demonstration publicly at some point. Or at least and edited version.

Alex

I think they just don't care what the over-sensitive folks want, you can't please everyone. I always enjoyed the games but Max Payne was hardly a brilliant series. In the end they were corridor shooters with slow-mo, there's really only so much you can say about it and there's CERTAINLY nothing so cerebral that you have to get teary eyed and start taking potshots at writers for saying it plays like a modern Max Payne game in competent hands would.

Personally, I don't mind that they moved from classic to modern noir, it already looks more interesting even if parts of the direction do bug me. Remedy's weak spot was always scenario work and considering Alan Wake did a good job of showcasing that they've gotten even worse, I'm really not expecting to miss their banal narrative and clumsy pacing and I'm sure Rockstar can find someone who is capable of writing self-aware overflourish.

Rockstar Vancouver is going to get my benefit of the doubt, I liked Bully very much and the company in general does good work with presentation and design on these types of games lately in general.

Simo

max-payne-3-20111005113840619.jpg

I like how this screenshot shows the entire inventory system. The previews state you can carry up to 3 weapons at a time including 2 single handed weapons and two handed gun.

Angry Fork said:
None of the quotes speak on the game's dialogue or atmosphere. The most important part of the first 2 games. Fuck bullet time and flashy bullshit if they don't get those 2 right.

People know my opinion on this already from all the bitching i've done. I have no faith in this game. The 'flashback' portions will probably be okay, but I do not like, want, or care about the brazil shit.

Shut

Yoh

FACE!!!

Day one.

.la1n said:

edit: but hey the past two generations have been the time to drag our old favorites through the mud.

I was 12/14 when I played the games for the first time and I'm 22 now.

So, I'm looking forward to MP3. Are you calling me stupid? Pretty sure these previews are written by people older than I am.

Dacon

Banned
I really don't see the significance of Max shaving his head.

Just seems stupid.

I'm a bit more optimistic about the rest of it, despite this whole thing being an unnecessary entry in a series that had pretty much wrapped itself up in two games.

I'll have to see it in action to make any proper judgement.

Seems like Max is looking to make a physical transition from someone who's been pushed around and lives in a depression to someone who is capable of taking charge and being intimidating, controlling. That's like a "shit just got real" moment.

Max already had all of that without shaving his damned head.

Fjordson

Angry Fork said:
And when it comes to Rockstar every review is a glowing dick riding marathon. Red Dead Redemption deserved no more than an 8 but it's apparently the greatest shit to come out of gaming in 2010. smh.
Or maybe...hang on to your butts here...here we go.....people enjoy their games. smh.

squidyj

Dacon said:
I really don't see the significance of Max shaving his head.

Just seems stupid.

I'm a bit more optimistic about the rest of it, despite this whole thing being an unnecessary entry in a series that had pretty much wrapped itself up in two games.

I'll have to see it in action to make any proper judgement.

Max already had all of that without shaving his damned head.

I guess a completely static character is appealing to you? as opposed to something more dynamic?

Top Bottom