• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 20 - Draw Mohammed Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilhawk

Zeke said:
wow can't believe the other thread got locked that is pretty sad ;(
All that did was legitimize those that came in and shitted up the thread. Very sad indeed.

Even as an atheist I can say that GAF is extremely liberal in its moderation of threads relating to Evangelical Christians

Hawkian said:
Unbelievable. I don't disagree with any of what Blackace said except for the actual locking of the thread. In any case I would think this thread would absolutely be locked too under the same grounds (indeed the tone in here was much more vitriolic at times), so I will say thank you all for the discussion and thank you to all those who understood the point of the silly exercise of this day and participated in a civil way.
Agreed.

To the below: "Even broken clocks are right twice a day..."

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Jak140 said:
Michelle Malkin is probably also against pedophilia. Guess we're all wrong for being against that too!

You don't know Michelle Malkin. If the pedophile was Mitch McConnell, she would probably accuse the little kid of "asking for it."

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Big Ass Ramp said:
how to tell you're on the wrong side of an issue: Michelle Malkin is on your side.

http://michellemalkin.com/2010/05/20/dhimmitude-and-draw-mohammed-day/

You just used some really shitty fallacy I can't remember the name of.

Also, I hate Michelle Malkin but that article doesn't strike me as anything worthy of my scorn besides the acrid, venomous tone that coats every word produced by her lips or fingers.

Cyan

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
how to tell you're on the wrong side of an issue: Michelle Malkin is on your side.

http://michellemalkin.com/2010/05/20/dhimmitude-and-draw-mohammed-day/
Heh. It's certainly a red flag. But I lump her in with the redneck racists who think this is a great idea simply because they hate brown people--just because abhorrent people think you're doing the right thing (and for the obviously wrong reasons) doesn't mean you're wrong.

Jak140

Big Ass Ramp said:
You don't know Michelle Malkin. If the pedophile was Mitch McConnell, she would probably accuse the little kid of "asking for it."
WHOOOOOOOOSH!

Hear that? That's the sound of the point going over your head.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Cyan said:
Heh. It's certainly a red flag. But I lump her in with the redneck racists who think this is a great idea simply because they hate brown people--just because abhorrent people think you're doing the right thing (and for the obviously wrong reasons) doesn't mean you're wrong.

You're absolutely correct. I was only half-serious.

Jak140 said:
WHOOOOOOOOSH!

Hear that? That's the sound of the point going over your head.

Actually, it's the sound of me passing the buck and answering your point with a red herring.

Atrus

Gold Member
devilhawk said:
All that did was legitimize those that came in and shitted up the thread. Very sad indeed.

'Ideas not people' should be an easy enough rule to follow, but social conservatives (xenophobes) and even religious people of other stripes have alterior motives.

I'm fine with Pedo-Mohammad, Mo-Jesus sexual tryst, T-rex Mohammad and so forth. On the other hand I'm not fine with people that are trying to meld an alternate agenda into it. It happens with everything but these people are the same type that'll throw a rock at a police officer at a protest rally if they could get away with it.

They shouldn't stop the rally but I do hope the police beat them to a bloody pulp.

Treo360

moe1.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cooter said:
Not really. I believe he meant simliar threads dealing with Mohammed.

I don't see anything in his words to lead me to believe that. That thread was specifically not limited to Muhammed in the first place.

I am going to pull the plug on this thread.

I think faith is good for debate like race problems are and have little problems with people expressing themselves as long as they don't attack. This is pretty boardline and just seems like poking fun at a group of people. Now I admit we have been lax about this on all sides of the board and really can't say that this is any worse than "Jesus lol" or whatever.. but I don't really like the tone that some of the posters are taking so this thread gets locked and if another gets started I am handing out one-way tickets.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Hawkian said:
I don't see anything in his words to lead me to believe that. That thread was specifically not limited to Muhammad in the first place.

Yeah, if another gets started. There were no mock Jesus threads started so he was referring to the Mohammed one. That's what I took out of it.

devilhawk

Atrus said:
'Ideas not people' should be an easy enough rule to follow, but social conservatives (xenophobes) and even religious people of other stripes have alterior motives.

I'm fine with Pedo-Mohammad, Mo-Jesus sexual tryst, T-rex Mohammad and so forth. On the other hand I'm not fine with people that are trying to meld an alternate agenda into it. It happens with everything but these people are the same type that'll throw a rock at a police officer at a protest rally if they could get away with it.

They shouldn't stop the rally but I do hope the police beat them to a bloody pulp.
The obsession with over-analyzing motives is silly. It is simply a tactic to reduce the effect of the end, no matter the exceptions you add to it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Cyan said:
Probably shouldn't post any more pics if we want this one to stay open for discussion and such.

:/

Yeah, you're right. Such a sad state of affairs we find ourselves in.

Atrus said:
The central focus is drawing the image of Mohammad. Where some are adding in epithets or believe in hurling specific insults at Muslims or Islam has me a little confused. That's not an argument, that's just mindless mob activity.

Ok I agree some of the stuff that was represented was totally off topic ( subject) and was basiclaly expressing hate towards a certain religion (group of people) via text and other visuals and yes probably had nothing to do with a drawing of Muhammad.

Those aside, still...
I am pretty sure YOU missed the point of EDMD,

Since depicting any type of visual representation of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is stricly forbidden and illegal "within" the religion of Islam.

There really is no argument about what image is tasteful, acceptable, or tasteless and unacceptable. They are ALL indeed unacceptable, equally.

And the reason freedom of speech and expression exist is to allow someone to express his thoughts, feeling and criticism of a subject, an entity. Whether one is deeply offended by one's representation is totally subjective in a demographic society.

Note that I am not a Muslim.
Did a drawing of a cartoon that suppose to represent Muhammad with a bomb in his turban make me laugh? of course it did...But did it offend and disgust lots of other people? of course it did.

Did an amateurish drawing of Allah having anal sex with Muhammad in S&M gear while Muhammad eating out a pigs asshole make me feel a bit offended and disgusted? yeah sure it did (even though I am not a Muslim) Did it make many other people chuckle and laugh? Of course it did.

The two images I described above equally insult a religion. One may be in more poor taste than the other.

Who's to say you or anyone else is the "Moral police" of what's in poor taste and what's not?

And last time I checked, ridicule and criticism of a specific religion fell under the boundaries of free speech in a demographic society.

mantidor

EricHasNoPull said:
As controversial and unnecessary this facebook page might seem to you and some others...It is still this Only window of opportunity created through the popular and effective medium of the internet which allowed Masses from every corner of the planet to share their thoughts and opinions instantly, and maybe even understand and except each other more as fellow human beings.

And that's why I applaud the organizers and support this event.

This is basically why I love the internet and the sheer freedom of it. Of course the first thing you get in absolute freedom is crap like 4 chan's /b/, but is a necessary step if humanity is ever going to evolve.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Of all the places I'd expect pictures of Muhammad to be taken down, NeoGAF was the last. What a shitty, shitty way to end that thread.

Fuckin' a

Treo360

wow I'm truly dense, here I thought this was the other thread.

duh, I'm stupid then again I'll just quote my avatar and be done.
t192.jpg

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
guess people jusy want to get banned.... let the bloodbath begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom