• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayan Calendar that goes past 2012 discovered

Status
Not open for further replies.
The world isn't going to end this year!

http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrod...an-calendar/4N1XsIVaItmKxhDXLhbMZJ/story.html

Another set of numbers painted on a section of wall undermines an idea that has been embraced in popular culture -- including the movie “2012” -- that the Maya predicted the world would end in “13 baktuns” or about 5,000 years, which works out to the end of 2012. That idea has long been dismissed by scholars, who explain that the Maya calendar is like a car’s odometer that turns over when it reaches that date, not a doomsday prediction. The new find reinforces that the Maya’s conception of time was not finite, because it contains a calendar that extends 17 baktuns, about 7,000 years.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Dammit, now we have to deal with this shit in 2000 years.

StuBurns

Banned
I read the Mayan's mentioned dates beyond this year years ago, I think it's even been on Wiki for a couple of years.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Those damn Mayans and their "just in a nick of time" tactics.

Raistlin

This is obviously just governmental propaganda to keep civilians orderly before their demise.

FIGHT THE POWA!!!

Dunk#7

The December 2012 date that everybody mentions passed long ago anyway.

The Mayan calendar did not incorporate leap years

Thinking the world was going to end in 2012 is the same as thinking the world was going to end in 999 AD: they just added another digit and kept going.

massoluk

Banned
Can you guys hush this news for a bit? I'm still accepting paypal for my doomsday survival bunker construction kit.

qcf x2

But...but I had everything planned out.

Where to take a girl and survive man.

Screw this.

Odds are pretty decent you'll be affected by war or mass viral outbreak in your lifetime, so keep your spirits up, don't forget that lucky spot!

mantidor

How true are the claims that the big baktuns of the Maya actually go in hand with the solar system rotation period around the galaxy?

KarmaCow

How true are the claims that the big baktuns of the Maya actually go in hand with the solar system rotation period around the galaxy?

I don't know how long a big baktun is but I doubt Mayans had any idea of the Milky Way much less how long a galactic period is since it's far longer than entire existence of humans.

So does that mean I can lose my virginity before we all die a horrible death now?

score.gif

Raistlin

This is perfect actually.

Now Roland Emmerich can envision a futuristic society where man has spread out across the solar system ...

... and then blow it all up.

4012 - Coming Soon To a Theater Near You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom