• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayan Calendar that goes past 2012 discovered

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

The world will end when Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo announcing they will join each other and make the ultimate console.

xbhaskarx

So does that mean I can lose my virginity before we all die a horrible death now?

score.gif

Pam3.jpg

The Mayan calendar never claimed the world would end. This is a misrepresentations propagated through mass culture. The Mayans believed this 'world' would end and another would begin, in effect - this current period will come and end followed by another, like it has happened many times before, according to their beliefs. It was never meant to convey an apocalyptic scenario resulting in the end of all life on Earth.

Dicer

Banned
The Mayan calendar never claimed the world would end. This is a misrepresentations propagated through mass culture. The Mayans believed this 'world' would end and another would begin, in effect - this current phase will come and end followed by another, like it has happened many times before, according to their beliefs. It was never meant to convey an apocalyptic scenario resulting in the end of all life on Earth.

so many times this....and I call BS on this story as well

gdt

A conspiracy nut at my job told me that the world won't technically end this year, but that we're gonna pass through a photon ray/field in space and we don't know what effect this will have.

She also told me she doesn't like transcendental meditation people her spirit likes being outside her body too much and she's scared it wont come back.

Haarp, babies with chips in florida, illuminati, yadda yadda yadda

bengraven

Just told a hardcore conspiracy theorist who is convinced the world is ending (so much so that he's been giving away stuff so that people can be happy in their last months on earth).

"Doesn't prove anything".

Jesus fucking Christ I have the worst peers.

Narcosis

It's a conspiracy, the Illuminati just doesn't want us to lose our shit and go wild and wreck the economy too much before they can finish their black-budget NASA Nibiru/Planet X escape shuttle program.

Don't believe the lies!

mantidor

I don't know how long a big baktun is but I doubt Mayans had any idea of the Milky Way much less how long a galactic period is since it's far longer than entire existence of humans.

Are you sure? They were really good astronomers, I wouldnt be surprised if they had an idea of the Milky way, although knowing about its rotation might be a stretch.

but really their own calendar extends until modern days, that alone should give you an idea of their skills, they knew what they were doing.

GrizzNKev

Banned
2012 is not the end of the world, it is the end of an era, and a beginning of a new one.

I can one-up you. May 11th, 2012 is not the end of the word, it is the end of an era, and a beginning of a new one. HAH! Because I said so. Also it's a Friday which makes us all feel renewed.

The question I have is if the cycles line up with the other calendar. Is there still a major Mayan time cycle ending around december this year, or does this older calendar deviate from those dates?

UFRA

Oh how convenient we discover this the year the world is supposed to end.

TOO convenient... ;)

This sounds like a Simpsons gag.

*blows more dust off of wall*

"No, no! The world will end in 20129!"

Haha

"How to cook humans"

*blows dust* "No, it's How to cook for humans"

*blows dust* "No, it's How to cook forty humans!"

I can one-up you. May 11th, 2012 is not the end of the word, it is the end of an era, and a beginning of a new one. HAH! Because I said so. Also it's a Friday which makes us all feel renewed.

Not really the same thing...

The May 11th prediction was one mans prediction that had been revised several times with no support even from other people who shared his faith, the other is the end of a calendar of a civilisation that based their entire calendar system around accurate observations of the stars.

Seth C

What era? Some weird New Age - Age of Aquarius type thing?

Like a new era. Out with the old, in with the new? We do the same shit. Every New Year, even new decade, every new century, every new millenia. Same thing for them. We talk about making changes, etc.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Took you long enough, archaeologists. The photo of the 70 year-old virgin fit perfectly, she now has another several years to fulfill her dream. I don't know about you, but that picture makes me chuckle, hardcore.

shaowebb

Someone in my art history class started talking about how the mayan's predicted the end of the world and she was stating it as an amazing fact that it was GOING to happen. This is also the person who in another class stated the amazing ability of the horoscope to accurately predict every person's day.

Yeah classroom or no classroom tact went out the window and I blasted her for that ingorant shit. My biggest point was that even she couldn't really believe this because otherwise why was she trying to get a degree for her future? We determine our future not a bunch of dead guys who made calendars and not because peopel decided to write vague stuff and call it horoscopes. I won't say their name but its one of those people whose family made up some silly pun name like Moon Beam or some crap and called it a real name. You can only imagine the superstitions this person quotes as fact on a day to day basis from the environment they must have been brought up in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom