• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McConnell Hits Trump’s ‘Excessive Expectations’

sflufan

Banned
11f237c545ef6f9b046b30a83dd7f482--rob-schneider-tv-quotes.jpg

Betty

Banned
It's passive aggressive as fuck, which is Trump's "charm" process. Trump doesn't understand or care about the legislative process, nor does he give a shit what's in bills. He wants a "win." It's stunning that he has no accomplishments so far. We've seen what competent presidents do when they have full or near full control of congress (see: 2009-2010). They get a lot of shit done. Trump has no excuse.

Wouldn't be stunned at all if Trump is threatening to fire McConnell's wife (Sec of Transportation) before the end of the year.

That does sound like Trump move, and we all know he'll say he did more than anyone whenever he leaves.

Hopefully the truth of his incompetence wins out though and is remembered.

LetThemFight.gif

Trump talking down the big names of the GOP is probably the last thing he should be doing right now.

He could exhaust all his support.

But maybe that's when the pivot will occur!

"Lazy GOP can't do simple work. I know of many good Democrats who'll jump at the chance to make America great again!"

Lorcain

Trump still doesn't understand that congress doesn't report to him. I also don't think he fully grasps that the people he's now antagonizing control the impeachment process, or at least the worst part of the impeachment process.

Shoeless

Trump still doesn't understand that congress doesn't report to him. I also don't think he fully grasps that the people he's now antagonizing control the impeachment process, or at least the worst part of the impeachment process.

I think one sense, Trump has correctly assessed the situation. He's proven, repeatedly, that he can treat congress like a doormat and the Republicans just roll with it. At this point he knows he could eat their babies on the White House lawn and both career Republicans and Trump supporters would still be cheering it and nodding sagely to each other saying "It would have been SO MUCH WORSE with Hillary."

Congress has proven their tolerance for antagonism is bottomless. As long as they know he'll sign whatever they can get in front of them, they'll lick his boot.

Garlador

I think one sense, Trump has correctly assessed the situation. He's proven, repeatedly, that he can treat congress like a doormat and the Republicans just roll with it. At this point he knows he could eat their babies on the White House lawn and both career Republicans and Trump supporters would still be cheering it and nodding sagely to each other saying "It would have been SO MUCH WORSE with Hillary."

Congress has proven their tolerance for antagonism is bottomless. As long as they know he'll sign whatever they can get in front of them, they'll lick his boot.

GOP in a nutshell. He can mock and insult your wife, insinuate your father was an accessory to murder, and give you a nickname that's literally "Lyin' Ted"... and the GOP will bow down and kiss the ring because they care more about catering to his caustic supporters than their own barely-substantiated integrity.

I keep thinking the GOP will have a breaking point and wake up, and we're only getting bits and pieces of it here and there. They DO have a breaking point, right? Well, if anyone can find it, it's Trump.

Isn't he just going to primary and elect as many sycophants in 2018 as he can?

He's not loyal to the GOP, he's loyal to Trumpster supporters.

The GOP will never not support Trump. They can use him as a puppet at the least. Demos had better fucking get their game plan or we're fucking screwed come 2020.

Ithil

He just straight up openly says that he wants others to do all the work and just sign something. Even though he acted like he personally had great plans for infrastructure and other things pre-election.

A con man through and through.

Garlador

The GOP will never not support Trump. They can use him as a puppet at the least. Demos had better fucking get their game plan or we're fucking screwed come 2020.

This is demonstrably not true. His support among GOP voters is slipping, especially with big failures such as the Healthcare repeal, along with his continued inability to make good on his campaign promises ("Lock her up!" "Build the wall!" etc.)

I mean, you're talking to a Republican right now that Trump pushed so far out of my comfort zone I happily voted for his opposition.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

That isn't happening, in fact, this here is a sign that the GOP is tarting to fragment into pen warfare. At any rate Trump isn't the useful idiot they thought he was.

Steel

Banned
This is demonstrably not true. His support among GOP voters is slipping, especially with big failures such as the Healthcare repeal, along with his continued inability to make good on his campaign promises ("Lock her up!" "Build the wall!" etc.)

I mean, you're talking to a Republican right now that Trump pushed so far out of my comfort zone I happily voted for his opposition.

There were more dems that flipped than pubs. And you know that even though his republican base is finally starting to slip, his support is still greater than 75% among them.

Durden77

Even though Trump is obviously an idiot that just expects people to do his bidding and nothing else, it's actually pretty incredible that he is calling out McConnell on this, no matter how much of a shit President Trump is.

He's right. They've had 8 years to bitch about this shit, and when it comes down to it, they can't do it, even when controlling congress, because they never had a plan. A bullshtter is calling out other bullshitters on their own bullshit, and it's kind of a glorious silver lining to pull out of this shitscapade.

Garlador

There were more dems that flipped than pubs. And you know that even though his republican base is finally starting to slip, his support is still greater than 75% among them.

And...? His support now is at a historic low for a president at this point in their presidency. And that includes support among people who VOTED for him.

Trump's support among Republicans might have been a factor in the drop. Seventy-two percent of GOP respondents approved of the president's job performance—which sounds like a lot but actually represents an 11-percentage-point fall compared with April.

Even Nixon had around 60% approval among Republicans prior to his resignation.

Loxley

Trump's approval ratings are gonna be in the 20s by October if he keeps blaming everyone but himself for his failures.

Shauni

This is the perfect come back but of course no one will use it, least of all McConnel.

I don't know, McConnell apparently told him he was flatout being stupid when he sent out attack ads in Heller. McConnell can actually be a pretty cross bastard

Top Bottom