• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mech Warrior Online Screenshots

Here's some gifs from the other thread, credit goes to Plywood. It looks stunning.

ibx1xalabvNDV2.gif

iT7VQL4DLGO7J.gif

I'm pretty sure this game is online only, hopefully there's bots or something for practice.

The game looks wonderful in motion...

Edit: Whoops, I missed the part about it being free to play. But it would be nice if they could develop a retail version with single player campaigns too.

epmode

Are there any signs that we'll get mission modes too? I would love some large scale multiplayer mission scenarios, either against bots or players.
No bots at all, I don't think. Just another casualty in the great multiplayer-or-nothing campaign.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'd pay anything to finally sit in a Marauder IIC,

Is the whole Robotech thing still an issue?

I also agree that it's criminal to not have an offline campaign. Hopefully it comes later.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I don't really even need a single player mode. Just give me mission scenarios that I can play with other people.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I need to see some PPC action going on. Getting that looking right is FUNDAMENTAL.

Slermy

Here's some gifs from the other thread, credit goes to Plywood. It looks stunning.

ibx1xalabvNDV2.gif

iT7VQL4DLGO7J.gif

Oh... my... god.

*Sheds Tear*

Oh... my... god.

*Sheds Tear*

I'd pay anything to finally sit in a Marauder IIC,

Is the whole Robotech thing still an issue?

I also agree that it's criminal to not have an offline campaign. Hopefully it comes later.

Oh man, the Marauder IIC is/was my favorite mech ever. I know they were trying to resolve stuff like that back when they first announced this, not sure how it played out though.

If you're reading this Piranha Games, I will pay RIDICULOUS MONEY to be able to pilot one again.

Nymerio

Sooo good. I always wanted to play a mechwarrior game with a joystick but could never afford such a setup. Till now. Can't wait for this to release.

Oh man, the Marauder IIC is/was my favorite mech ever. I know they were trying to resolve stuff like that back when they first announced this, not sure how it played out though.

If you're reading this Piranha Games, I will pay RIDICULOUS MONEY to be able to pilot one again.

I wouldn't count on it. The Unseen are likely to, well, remain unseen. I would eat my hat if I was wrong, but I wouldn't count on it unless they do a fairly in-depth "re-imagining".

Which I have nothing against. Some of these modified models are shit hot.

------------------

Sooo good. I always wanted to play a mechwarrior game with a joystick but could never afford such a setup. Till now. Can't wait for this to release.

I had a joystick setup before, but I am prepared to spend an inordinate amount of money on a dedicated setup for this. I am ridiculously pumped.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
In the top gif with the killing headshot ... are those like.. burn marks/damage on the Mech model before he is killed?

If so .. that's pretty gangster. This actually looks pretty stellar in motion. Was this game free? I may just have to dip in. I know i'm getting Hawken... so to actually get both and enjoy both for their own reasons.... Mech revival, booooooyyyyyeeeee...

survivor

Banned
I have no knowledge of the franchise but watching the gameplay video made very excited about the game. Slow action, mechs blowing the shit out of each? Will definitely play it.

Dommel

As good as Hawken looks I prefer the slower paced action (judging by the gifs) of MW Online more.

Mechs are huge and clunky, not fast and twitchy.

I'll probably play both a lot anyway if they're good because I've been starved too long of Mechs.

tci

Looks fantastic! Not played Mechwarrior since Mercenaries. Glad to hear that they focus on more team play with the different mechs.

Should be pretty epic with a good clan system! Any news on that?

Slermy

I wouldn't count on it. The Unseen are likely to, well, remain unseen. I would eat my hat if I was wrong, but I wouldn't count on it unless they do a fairly in-depth "re-imagining".

Stop ruining my dreams. ;_;

They should run a Kickstarter to pay the licensing fees... per mech.

As good as Hawken looks I prefer the slower paced action (judging by the gifs) of MW Online more.

Mechs are huge and clunky, not fast and twitchy.

Yeah same here. It's one of the reasons I loved Chromehounds so much.

Nymerio

Which I have nothing against. Some of these modified models are shit hot.

------------------

I had a joystick setup before, but I am prepared to spend an inordinate amount of money on a dedicated setup for this. I am ridiculously pumped.

I'm looking into joysticks right now, do have any recommendations? I guess HOTAS is a given?

CamHostage

You say the game is free to play. But IGN has it as X360 as well. Am I correct in assuming IGN is wrong again?

Announced for (or at least listed in the planning doc,) then cancelled for Xbox. Probably as part of the move from a standard game release to F2P, they dropped the other version.

I'm looking into joysticks right now, do have any recommendations? I guess HOTAS is a given?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, didn't have a chance to on the weekend.

I've been using a HORI HOTAS setup for a while (the ACE-EDGE, actually, that came with Ace Combat 5 for PS2, has PC support). It's very solid and very useful.

Very similar to the Saitek X-52 if you've used that.

That said, I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those expensive Saitek X-65 systems, with the force sensing stuff (as the stick itself doesn't move). Bit of a plunge though, that shit is 350-400 dollars. And it's extremely overkill for a game like this.

Still though, this would be the perfect excuse for doing so. I've thought about it with regards to playing some DCS A-10 as well, but haven't jumped in yet.

Nymerio

Speaking of overkill, I have this one in mind:

41DqTQYAVYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's about €320 in europe and looks ridiculously awesome. That's about the amount of money I'm willing to spend and it's actually less than I thought something like this may cost.

This game is on a persistent world map right? I was reading a GDC preview and the writer wrote something about it not being a true MMO.

Orayn

There's also CH Products stuff. Slightly less glamorous, but plenty practical and reasonably priced.

Combatstick 568
9zDJt.jpg

Pro Throttle
80UpP.jpg

Pro Pedals
KfQDb.gif

The Combatstick 568 would definitely be a better choice for MechWarrior since it has more pushbuttons than the HOTAS Warthog, which has mainly hat switches.

Orayn

Yeah, MechWarrior Online is more akin to World of Tanks, where you have instanced battles that can affect long-term control of territory. Piranha's been pretty tight-lipped about what controlling planets will mean, but I can see it making for a pretty interesting meta-game once players start to form some bigger mercenary outfits.

Nymerio

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, didn't have a chance to on the weekend.

I've been using a HORI HOTAS setup for a while (the ACE-EDGE, actually, that came with Ace Combat 5 for PS2, has PC support). It's very solid and very useful.

Very similar to the Saitek X-52 if you've used that.

That said, I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those expensive Saitek X-65 systems, with the force sensing stuff (as the stick itself doesn't move). Bit of a plunge though, that shit is 350-400 dollars. And it's extremely overkill for a game like this.

Still though, this would be the perfect excuse for doing so. I've thought about it with regards to playing some DCS A-10 as well, but haven't jumped in yet.

I just checked again and the Thrustmaster is pretty much out because it does not have a z-axis for torso control and I don't really want to buy separate pedals. Also as Orayn pointed out it's lacking in pushbuttons.

I'm now thinking either the Logitech G940 or the Saitek X65. I've had the Saitek in my hands some time ago but have not played a game with it. Don't really remember how that Force sensing stuff was feeling with the stick not moving. Luckily the company I work for sells these things so maybe I can find one to try out. What I like about the G940 are the pedals, but I don't know if you'd need them for something like Mechwarrior. I guess the z-axis might be enough for that.

I'm interested if you get to mod the mechs in any meaningful detail. Building mechs and balancing the heat/death ratio was half the fun of these games.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm interested if you get to mod the mechs in any meaningful detail. Building mechs and balancing the heat/death ratio was half the fun of these games.

I think there's enough evidence that they care about the core of the franchise enough to keep it. Also I'd suspect new chasis would be a lot more tempting if they contained slots that you wanted to use to complete your vision. Its free to play so I wouldn't be surprised if they actually sell you weapons to put on it while giving an hamster wheel way to get them if you don't want to pay.

I'm sure I'll be dropping money when the time comes as I'd drop some anyway if it wasn't free to play. Just how much depends on the pricing structure and content.

BTW gameplay trailer is up now.

Top Bottom