• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Mupod

Just a quick question, how close is my list of equipment above to reality?

I don't even need to break the NDA to tell you this, since the devs themselves posted a list ages ago.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/7838-ask-the-devs-1-answer/

We're still waiting on endo steel, ferro fibrous, double heatsinks and all the equipment in the bottom section. We do have CASE though, which I've started using after a highly embarassing ammo explosion in the first 2 minutes of a round.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't even need to break the NDA to tell you this, since the devs themselves posted a list ages ago.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/7838-ask-the-devs-1-answer/

We're still waiting on endo steel, ferro fibrous, double heatsinks and all the equipment in the bottom section. We do have CASE though, which I've started using after a highly embarassing ammo explosion in the first 2 minutes of a round.

... WTF, why do i not remember reading Ask the Devs 1...

EDIT no mech mortar? That's odd.

EDIT 2 LOL. Note to self, remember CASE if mech runs hot and has ammo...

Llyranor

I can't talk about the beta, but I will highly encourage any Mechwarrior fans on the fence to just get a Founder's pack for instant access (I have the Legendary pack).

1) We don't know when the open beta will be. Late August? September? Later? No one knows.

2) It's actually a good deal. You get extra in-game currency relative to your investment, and one or more premium months. The Founder mechs are also very good deals if you plan on playing a lot of this game, because they are longterm investments.

3) It's MECHWARRIOR.

4) I'll play with you.

It's really too bad I can't say anything about the *game* itself because of the NDA, because there's so much I would want to say. But you can find out for yourself with a Founder pack!

Woorloog

Banned
I can't talk about the beta, but I will highly encourage any Mechwarrior fans on the fence to just get a Founder's pack for instant access (I have the Legendary pack).
Would gladly buy a Founder's pack if i had a proper laptop/computer... Sigh.
But even if i were in a situation were i could buy one, i have more pressing issues than a gaming platform.

Hope we get some trailers or something soon, those are better than just wishing i could play this.

Llyranor

Let me say this, at least.

Just before we got into the MWO beta, I was playing MW4 co-op with 2 buddies to get into the Mechwarrior mood. Then we got into the beta. MW4 is currently uninstalled and will never get any playtime ever again (I am not allowed to say whether this is related to the MWO beta or not - any assumption you make regarding this is your own, and has nothing to do with my actual statement).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I would SO get a founders pack if I could, but I'm too broke. Money will go to school and extra money will go to laptop for school. Time will obviously also be going to school so play will be limited.

*sigh* This is really coming out at the best time for me, isn't it...

Nester

Been in for a while. Started out with the Elite, moved up to Legendary shortly after. Totally worth it.

Really enjoying it so far. Add me, and we can shoot big stompy robots together. Name in game is the same as here.

I don't want to get the thread in trouble, but a lot of this talk can be pegged down pretty quick. Vagueness. :(

1) We don't know when the open beta will be. Late August? September? Later? No one knows.

Considering the Early Access date being in...well, a week and a half, is there even going to be one?

Llyranor

Early access to the closed beta for Founders first (Aug 7 - though we reached that date earlier - sweet!)

AFTER that comes the open beta before the 'official' release. TBA

kagete

I'm a total doormat in this game. I've never touched a light mech and my 1 kill in 3 matches is accurate whenever im on my Atlas (2 LL, Gauss, LRM20, AMS) and I get close to 1 kill per match on my Catapult (just 2 ER PPC really). This guy was like a mini-celebrity, and people would be hyped and saying gg as soon as the player list came up.

Thanks for the offer but I have no desire to get tips or coaching or getting carried to victory in a group while playing this game. I just like to run around, spam weapons, and tinker in the mechlab. I don't mind getting better at the game but I will not put in any time or work to do so and will not actively try.

Early access to the closed beta for Founders first (Aug 7 - though we reached that date earlier - sweet!)

AFTER that comes the open beta before the 'official' release. TBA

Ah. I guess that's what i get for ignoring those threads.

I was under the impression that since everyone was getting in before Aug 7, that Aug 7 represented the start of the period when there would founders and extended testers only, eventually leading up to final release.

Oh well.

Pilot Name is as you see here, only with a space in between the two words. If anyone wants to rock and roll, add me? It's be fun to play with you folks.

-----------

This guy was like a mini-celebrity, and people would be hyped and saying gg as soon as the player list came up.

This is one thing I like. The beta community is friendly (if you avoid the whining in the beta forum). No one has ever really gotten mad in game. I enjoy it.

Thanks for the offer but I have no desire to get tips or coaching or getting carried to victory in a group while playing this game. I just like to run around, spam weapons, and tinker in the mechlab. I don't mind getting better at the game but I will not put in any time or work to do so and will not actively try.

I hope I didn't sound like a condescending jackass, and I apologize if so. I didn't mean to come off like that.

I didn't mean to coach or be douchebaggy. Sorry. I know the issues you speak of with those default setups though.

InfectedZero is my Pilot name. For the love of god post your name so I can add you or add me, I want some damn coordination. We should also start getting on mumble if we get a nice Lance going. I am down to play regularly with you guys. Its really hard to type and focus on driving when the battles begin.

Tamanon

Banned
I so want to join in on the Founder's version, but I can't buy in until I know my laptop can handle the game. Right now, I only use it to play WoW and it runs that fine.

kagete

Oh no worries, I didn't get that vibe at all. Like I said, aside from what I paid for founders (which is basically free diablo3 paypal monies) I am really not invested in this game at all. I'm not even buying a joystick anymore since I'm not convinced it will be better for this competitive game.

More on topic, it seems things were patch and reset. All my mechs are gone, and my c-bills are back to zero. I guess its my chance to play one of the Awesome variants now.

Dice

FYI I'm going to be a scout for Liao.

Reading all the info on this game got me super hyped. MUST HAVE.

Tamanon

Banned

Here's my basic ones.

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer TOSHIBA
Model Satellite L675D
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 287 GB
Disk partition (C:) 154 GB Free (287 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
Total available graphics memory 1917 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1661 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.712.2.1000
Primary monitor resolution 1600x900
DirectX version DirectX 10

Are light 'Mechs useful in this game or is it going to be a Heavy fest?

The light mechs are really hard to hit and a good pilot can pretty easily run around and slowly bring down a heavier mech, without taking too much damage. At the moment people mostly seem to pilot the heavier mechs though, but that may be because the Awesome is the new mech in the beta. There's also a number of features that aren't implemented in the beta yet, so there's stuff down the line that should make it more rewarding to pick a lighter mech than it currently is.

Woorloog

Banned
The light mechs are really hard to hit and a good pilot can pretty easily run around and slowly bring down a heavier mech, without taking too much damage. At the moment people mostly seem to pilot the heavier mechs though, but that may be because the Awesome is the new mech in the beta. There's also a number of features that aren't implemented in the beta yet, so there's stuff down the line that should make it more rewarding to pick a lighter mech than it currently is.

And team work. Don't forget that. Proper team with mix of all classes will be the best. Light harass and scout and give targeting data for missile boats. Mediums hunt enemy lights and harass heavies.
Also, lights are considerably cheaper than heavies. Oh, this reminds me, do you have to pay for repairs after a battle? What about ammunition?
I made some tactic and strategy assumptions earlier on this thread, wonder if my predictions are realistic.

And team work. Don't forget that. Proper team with mix of all classes will be the best. Light harass and scout and give targeting data for missile boats. Mediums hunt enemy lights and harass heavies.
Also, lights are considerably cheaper than heavies. Oh, this reminds me, do you have to pay for repairs after a battle? What about ammunition?
I made some tactic and strategy assumptions earlier on this thread, wonder if my predictions are realistic.

There will be a re-arm and repair system, they had it in the beta for a while but took it out to fix some bugs. That's one of the features that will make piloting the medium and light mech more appealing since their repair costs will be a lot cheaper. A pilot of a more expensive mech will have to perform well in matches in order to make up for the extra C-bills he will be spending on repairs and new ammo.

Dice

Scouting is also more important than you might think. If a scout has an enemy targeted, other players can blind fire LRMs at them using the scout's lock. There are also a few systems in place so you get experience from providing information for your team. Also, that information goes back to a commander who views the battle grid using info you provide them and issues orders, and other players get experience by following those orders.

You'll also be training your pilot down a skill tree, and if you go down the scout skillset, it will open up access to modules that gives access to special sensors (for bad weather, darkness, detecting through walls/buildings), spoofing, jamming, stealth, targeting, etc. There will also a clan loyalty system so as you help your team and accomplish commanded tasks through matches, you gain rank which opens access to special things.

So yeah, the game isn't going to be all about who gets the kills, and support roles will be very important to the killers getting the kills.

Mupod

Eventually there will be scoring systems in place to reward scouting and support, which will be very nice for scouts. That said it's not like you're disposable or restricted to finding targets and base capturing...a good Light is extremely hard to bring down and could mess up rear armor pretty easily. SRM6s hurt.

I will say that the team with good LRM support usually wins. Scouting can actually be tough since radar range is shorter than LRM range, but once the scout EXP tree is in place we'll have expanded sensor ranges among other things.

http://mwomercs.com/news/2012/02/112-dev-blog-4-role-warfare-cont

Although they posted that in February so I'm sure it's different now...hell, the way it is there, an LRM boat would be stupid not to take the scout tree. But a scout would take multi-targeting over IDF fire and it'd be a pretty serious game changer.

Bizazedo

How do the Founder Mechs work, then? You'll always have that 'Mech in the garage, thus meaning you should pick the Atlas, or is it a one time thing and then you're back to the purchase grind?

Orayn

How do the Founder Mechs work, then? You'll always have that 'Mech in the garage, thus meaning you should pick the Atlas, or is it a one time thing and then you're back to the purchase grind?

You keep the Founder's 'Mech for life, which has a special paintjob and permanent boost to the in-game currency you receive while playing with it. The Atlas is goof, of course, but it's hardly the be-all and end-all 'Mech.

Zaptruder

Banned

It stays in your garage. Forever and ever and ever.

Plus it earns you twice as many C-Bills.

Probably worthwhile using this mech consistently so that I can cover repair costs of dying so goddamn much!

Bizazedo

You keep the Founder's 'Mech for life, which has a special paintjob and permanent boost to the in-game currency you receive while playing with it. The Atlas is goof, of course, but it's hardly the be-all and end-all 'Mech.

Right, but if a normal Atlas costs a lot and the Jenner's are cheap by comparison (etc) :(.

Orayn

Right, but if a normal Atlas costs a lot and the Jenner's are cheap by comparison (etc) :(.

It's true, but keep in mind that even non-Founder's Lights and Mediums are going to be a lot more profitable on a per-game basis due to greatly reduced repair costs. That's one of the awesome subtle balancing mechanisms between weight classes.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Folks in the beta... is anyone using a PC stick and throttle yet? If so, any suggestion on one that works well with the game?

Edit: I ask now as it looks like you can pick up the Thrustmaster HOTAS X on Amazon for $35 bucks right now.

Ocho

I've read that joysticks can't really match up with mouse/keyboard, in terms of aim. So, if you want a joystick, wait to test the game before making a purchase.

Orayn

Folks in the beta... is anyone using a PC stick and throttle yet? If so, any suggestion on one that works well with the game?

Edit: I ask now as it looks like you can pick up the Thrustmaster HOTAS X on Amazon for $35 bucks right now.

You can indeed get a USB joystick connected and mapped, and though support is a little bare bones at the moment. The HOTAS X is a pretty good stick for the price, so I think getting one for MWO would be a decent investment.

epmode

I've been eyeing one of those founder's packs for a while but the vague timeframe on the offer plus the way they hint that it will no longer be available once the NDA is up is rubbing me the wrong way. Not to mention how you only get the CBill bonus for those specific mechs and it's not account-wide...

So I guess I'm asking: How awesome is your game?

Lime

I've been eyeing one of those founder's packs for a while but the vague timeframe on the offer plus the way they hint that it will no longer be available once the NDA is up is rubbing me the wrong way. Not to mention how you only get the CBill bonus for those specific mechs and it's not account-wide...

I think the primary motivation for people is the fact that you're supporting an IP that has almost been extinct for 12 years in the digital gaming landscape.

In my opinion, Piranha should be lucky that they are dealing with an incredibly loyal fanbase, as the value in paying for any Founder's Pack is purely digital and temporary. I mean, when I supported the Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2, and Shadowrun: Returns Kickstarters I am getting all sorts of good, including old school boxes, art books, and whatnot. That's much more enticing to me than getting some non-physical time-limited bonus on XP.

I didn't know about the Cbill thing. I thought it was account-wide.

Nymerio

The game is really awesome, I just hope they hurry up with the joystick implementation.

From the few games I've played I'd say playing with a stick should be perfectly fine. It's not exactly a twitch fest and while you definitely have an advantage with the mouse I think it's not too bad if you're playing with a stick.

If I could just configure my stick from within the game I'd be one happy mechwarrior.

Speaking of joysticks, anyone using a Logitech G940?

epmode

I didn't know about the Cbill thing. I thought it was account-wide.

No sir. You only get the boost in the Founder's mechs.

Seeing as how Mechwarrior 2 is one of my all-time favorites, I really want to love this game, but
multiplayer-only
stingy free-to-play store stuff
repair costs
very expensive founder's mechs (with a semi-crappy, narrow bonus) that have to be bought sight unseen

I think I talked myself out of a purchase again.

I think the gameplay is very solid and it has the potential to become a great mech game. You should know though that the beta is pretty barebones at the moment and it will probably be a while until they've managed to get all their planned stuff in. I've been enjoying it though and it's interesting to see the game evolve and get new stuff to try out on a weekly basis.

Lime

No sir. You only get the boost in the Founder's mechs.

Seeing as how Mechwarrior 2 is one of my all-time favorites, I really want to love this game, but
multiplayer-only
stingy free-to-play store stuff
repair costs
very expensive founder's mechs (with a semi-crappy, narrow bonus) that have to be bought sight unseen

I think I talked myself out of a purchase again.

Yeah, I'd recommend you to try out the game once it releases. It is F2P after all, and then you can see whether or not the game is worth your time (and potentially money). I mean, there's not much reason to buy a Founders Pack unless one is absolutely sure they are going to play the game.

But as a fellow MW2 fan (31st Century Combat is in my top 5), I will say that I experienced a really great moment today in the beta that was incredibly reminiscent of this moment in the MW2: Mercs intro, mostly thanks to the game's graphics and how weapons are depicted.

The game is really awesome, I just hope they hurry up with the joystick implementation.

From the few games I've played I'd say playing with a stick should be perfectly fine. It's not exactly a twitch fest and while you definitely have an advantage with the mouse I think it's not too bad if you're playing with a stick.

If I could just configure my stick from within the game I'd be one happy mechwarrior.

Since you already are talking about it, I might as well give my 2 cents as well: I'm on a Sidewinder Pro 2 and I am able to configure it in the closed beta, but the sensitivity and aiming (arm-aiming is a no-go) are not comparable at all to using a mouse. I hope it changes for the final release, but right now you are playing with a severe handicap if you're using a joystick rather than a mouse.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

I can see why a person would want a throttle for MWO, or even pedals. I don't know if they're doing reverse mouse acceleration so people don't swing the mechs around like it's Quake 3 but that would even the playing field quite a bit between joystick and m/kb.

Orayn

I can see why a person would want a throttle for MWO, or even pedals. I don't know if they're doing reverse mouse acceleration so people don't swing the mechs around like it's Quake 3 but that would even the playing field quite a bit between joystick and m/kb.

Both arms and torsos have limited turning speeds, many just find that using a mouse affords them more precision than a joystick.

Top Bottom