• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/02 - 02/08

freddy

Banned
Is it a worry trend for the Wii or a worrying trend for home consoles in general?

Which third party games have sold over 1 million on home consoles in Japan this generation?

How many million sellers on portables?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
freddy said:
Which third party games have sold over 1 million on home consoles in Japan this generation?

*crickets*

Third party?
PSP:
Monster Hunter Portable 2G
Monster Hunter Portable 2
Monster Hunter Portable

DS:
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker
Dragon Quest IVr
Dragon Quest Vr
Tamagotchi Connection
Love and Berry
Final Fantasy III

If you add first party, the PSP list is unchanged and the DS list gets:

DS:
Nintendogs
Pokemon D/P
NSMB
Brain Age
Brain Age 2
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Pokemon Platinum
Pokemon MD2
Pokemon MD if you combine the DS and the GBA version
English Training
Mario Party
Rhythm Tengoku Gold
Big Brain Academy
Tetris
Super Mario 64
Kirby Squeak Squad
Kirby Super Star Ultra
WarioWare Touched
... and uh... one of Common Knowledge Training or English Training 2. Can't remember which.

Flash Focus, Layton, and Yoshi's Island are all above 900k and might squeak by a million. Closest ones on PSP are Dissidia is at 850k, Crisis Core at 750k.

test_account said:
There were also like 3 weeks where there werent any full Famitsu charts, what is the reason for this? Were there Golden Week and/or some vacation in Japan in these weeks so we didnt get?

There are 3 weeks during the year in which we don't get a Famitsu issue : last week in December or first in January, during the golden week (end of April) and the second week in August (Obon holiday)

donny2112

test_account said:
It seems to be rather unusal though, or at least we didnt see too many weeks in 2008 where the number 1 spot on the chart sold below 50k.

There was all of 1 week in 2008 where #1 sold under 50K by Media-Create. 2007 had all of 3. 2009 now has 3.

markatisu said:
Why is it amazing? Wii owners are tired of getting shafted and so now they are getting literally DS ports (instead of PSP ports)....what was the reaction supposed to be?

Apathy. Ignore it. If the Wii was getting more consistent releases, I think it would've been quickly derided and then ignored. Since the Wii is getting almost nothing, each release gets more scrutiny, and the shortcomings of how each game is released get magnified.

Stumpokapow said:
i would be flabbergasted if worldwide sellthrough topped 50k. no joke.

Once again, WII Castlevania Judgment sold 3700 its first week three weeks ago. It is not at 3K in Japan, at least by Famitsu.

Stumpokapow said:
Third party?
PSP:
Monster Hunter Portable 2G
Monster Hunter Portable 2
Monster Hunter Portable

Only if you combine it with both Best re-releases.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
oldie-newbie said:
I think PS3 number is too high because Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III is no longer in the top 15. Perhaps, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III is no longer bundled with PS3???
That promotion has ended.

freddy said:

Though this has already been answered, here are a couple links to things I set up a couple years back. One could probably replicate the results with the right settings in the Garaph Game Search, but since these already exist there's not much need to.

Third party X360/PS3/Wii games, greatest to least
Third party DS/PSP games, greatest to least

donny2112 said:
Apathy. Ignore it. If the Wii was getting more consistent releases, I think it would've been quickly derided and then ignored. Since the Wii is getting almost nothing, each release gets more scrutiny, and the shortcomings of how each game is released get magnified.
Pretty much. If it was just one Square Enix release of many, it'd be a quick laugh and not much more. But it's as if that game is saying "I'm all you're getting!"

donny2112

Die Squirrel Die said:
And you wouldn't because?

The trackers don't. It's like people in NPD threads saying that Wii Play/Wii Fit shouldn't count.

HK-47 said:
You point that out yet not PMD2?

Famitsu combined it. We won't get updated separated numbers for it until the Media-Create 2008 Top 500. If you wanted to separate at that point by using Media-Create numbers, go right ahead. It would just be reporting what the tracker said it sold.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
You point that out yet not Nintendogs?

If you want to track million-sellers by Media-Create vs. Famitsu, I'm fine with that. :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
You point that out yet not Nintendogs?

=O

Indeed. Pointing out any of them seems slightly stupid. At least PMD2 has differences between version though

donny2112 said:
Bad, Famitsu! Bad, Media-Create! :lol
Indeed, its just trackers being mean, like separating DS models (Lite, i) but not PSP ones. Or the Devil Summoner "2" PS2, I don't remember which one did what but one added limited edition to the normal one and the other didn't.

boiled goose

good with gravy
home console market truly dead...

ppl just dont care anymore.

its sad that ppl are waiting for big stuff like street fighter 4 and casual stuff like Resort to improve sales...

DS and PSP really absorbed ps2 userbase and interest in games...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Arguing about what trackers ought to do in terms of budget releases/LEs, different models of hardware, etc. is totally stupid.

The obvious answer is that in an ideal world they would track everything separately, we'd get full data, and we'd combine it rather than losing track of the separated releases... or even better, they'd release separate graphs/charts/reports with each methodology.

NPD, for what it's worth, tracks everything separately. It's uncommon for western retailers to SKU budget versions of games separately rather than just doing a manufacturer price-protected price drop. When they report to the public (non-subscribers), they combine editions.

I think that reasonably when someone asks the question "Is it a million seller?" they would like to combine all releases if at all possible. Further analysis of how it sold would probably talk about interesting circumstances (Star Ocean 3 being perhaps the most "woah" game in that sense)

My only dilemma is whether or not it is useful to combine multiplatform releases. My sense is that the informational value of doing so is sufficiently low that if I only had a choice of seeing single-SKU figures or multi-SKU figures, I'd pick the former.

But, for instance, NPD frequently releases data combining multiplat releases. Basically any kind of "top <X> of the <Y>" releases from them combines data. On the other hand, monthly current releases tend to separate SKUs.

Laguna

Banned
Has anyone Jan/Feb numbers for PS2 and GBA 2000-2005. That would give a more clear picture of what sales actually are "normal" in Japan.

As much as I dislike the home console market dying in Japan I can see where they are coming from. I far prefer playing my games on a handheld and it would be all the more convenient as well as make more sense if I could just plug in my system to my TV and have it auto-upscale the game to the screen so I can play it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same to happen in the West 5 or 6 years down the line.

DarkMehm

Laguna said:
Has anyone Jan/Feb numbers for PS2 and GBA 2000-2005. That would give a more clear picture of what sales actually are "normal" in Japan.

02/02 - 02/08 2004:

GBA SP: 50'600 (64'700) - 14'100 [515'800]
PS2: 48'000 (45'900) + 2'100 [537'500]
GCN: 8'600 (10'600) - 2'000 [253'700]
GBA: 6'700 (10'100) - 3'400 [77'100]

Xbox: 950 (800) + 150 [10'300]
PSone: 400 (600) - 200 [4'600]
CWS: 180 (270) - 90 [2'200]

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Flying_Phoenix said:
As much as I dislike the home console market dying in Japan I can see where they are coming from. I far prefer playing my games on a handheld and it would be all the more convenient as well as make more sense if I could just plug in my system to my TV and have it auto-upscale the game to the screen so I can play it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same to happen in the West 5 or 6 years down the line.

I would agree if the PSP wasn't a software sales failure in the states.

If the PSP continued to receive the strong Western support it initially had, the promise of handheld consoles dominating in the West would have been reality. The failure of the PSP in that regard pushed back handheld dominance in the west by a generation (at least).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hcoregamer00 said:
If the PSP continued to receive the strong Western support it initially had, the promise of handheld consoles dominating in the West would have been reality. The failure of the PSP in that regard pushed back handheld dominance in the west by a generation (at least).
The support was there even after release, till people cracked the system and less and less people bought games for it.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I would agree if the PSP wasn't a software sales failure in the states.

Ahh yes. How could I forget the PSP's downfall. Well it's only a matter of time to me at least.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stumpokapow said:
Arguing about what trackers ought to do in terms of budget releases/LEs, different models of hardware, etc. is totally stupid.

The obvious answer is that in an ideal world they would track everything separately, we'd get full data, and we'd combine it rather than losing track of the separated releases... or even better, they'd release separate graphs/charts/reports with each methodology.

NPD, for what it's worth, tracks everything separately. It's uncommon for western retailers to SKU budget versions of games separately rather than just doing a manufacturer price-protected price drop. When they report to the public (non-subscribers), they combine editions.

I think that reasonably when someone asks the question "Is it a million seller?" they would like to combine all releases if at all possible. Further analysis of how it sold would probably talk about interesting circumstances (Star Ocean 3 being perhaps the most "woah" game in that sense)

My only dilemma is whether or not it is useful to combine multiplatform releases. My sense is that the informational value of doing so is sufficiently low that if I only had a choice of seeing single-SKU figures or multi-SKU figures, I'd pick the former.

But, for instance, NPD frequently releases data combining multiplat releases. Basically any kind of "top <X> of the <Y>" releases from them combines data. On the other hand, monthly current releases tend to separate SKUs.

Multiplatform releases are important to keep separate since we can learn much from how they sell on different platforms. It certainly helps to determine demographs. Pointing out budget rereleases that amount to Greatest Hits seems pointless. Or at least overly nitpicky.

Laguna

Banned
DarkMehm said:
02/02 - 02/08 2004:

GBA SP: 50'600 (64'700) - 14'100 [515'800]
PS2: 48'000 (45'900) + 2'100 [537'500]
GCN: 8'600 (10'600) - 2'000 [253'700]
GBA: 6'700 (10'100) - 3'400 [77'100]

Xbox: 950 (800) + 150 [10'300]
PSone: 400 (600) - 200 [4'600]
CWS: 180 (270) - 90 [2'200]

thx. Is this the only week you want to share?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HK-47 said:
Multiplatform releases are important to keep separate since we can learn much form how they sell on different platforms. It certainly helps to determine demographs. Pointing out budget rereleases that amount to Greatest Hits seems pointless. Or at least overly nitpicky.

yeah that's basically the tl;dr version of my post, but i'm not really known for being concise.

donny2112

HK-47 said:
Pointing out budget rereleases that amount to Greatest Hits seems pointless.

There are two options to take here when talking about Japanese sales that are both completely transparent in their methodology.

1) Report the sales using the method used by the trackers. This would mean separating BEST price re-releases from the regular game.
2) Report the combined sales for the regular game + re-releases and note that it is a combination of separately tracked games.

The third option of reporting the combined sales without mentioning that it is a combination of separately tracked games is misrepresenting the source data from which the numbers are pulled. I do not think Stumpokapow was trying to mislead anyone with his list, though.

Stumpokapow said:
but i'm not really known for being concise.

Clarity > Brevity. :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Moor-Angol said:
There are 3 weeks during the year in which we don't get a Famitsu issue : last week in December or first in January, during the golden week (end of April) and the second week in August (Obon holiday)
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :)

donny2112 said:
There was all of 1 week in 2008 where #1 sold under 50K by Media-Create. 2007 had all of 3. 2009 now has 3.
Ah ok, i guess that Media Create had one of these week's number 1 at a higher sales number?

http://garaph.info/weeklyoverview.php?week=2008-06-30

http://garaph.info/weeklyoverview.php?week=2008-09-01

Rolf NB

donny2112 said:
There are two options to take here when talking about Japanese sales that are both completely transparent in their methodology.

1) Report the sales using the method used by the trackers. This would mean separating BEST price re-releases from the regular game.
2) Report the combined sales for the regular game + re-releases and note that it is a combination of separately tracked games.

The third option of reporting the combined sales without mentioning that it is a combination of separately tracked games is misrepresenting the source data from which the numbers are pulled. I do not think Stumpokapow was trying to mislead anyone with his list, though.
I don't get the dilemma. If you're trying to build a database, separating things as much as possible is good. It makes your data more accurate and more versatile in regards to what kinds of questions it can answer. It's great that trackers provide this, and as you try to preserve accuracy, you should of course keep the data separated.

But the question "Did Game pass this sales threshold?" does not need the full detail. Different SKUs of the same game are still the same game, and unless something more specific is asked for, they all count the same.

Sagitario

Hcoregamer00 said:
For a fanservice game it was excellent, except that it needed more characters.

Well, there's a game behind the fanservice and that's what I'm talking about...

The number of characters were the least of its problems...

selig

Banned
freddy said:
Is it a worry trend for the Wii or a worrying trend for home consoles in general?

It goes for all systems.

But im not surprised.
There is one system that people dont want that has a few quality games.
There is another system that people want but that doesnt have (enough) quality games.

3rd parties stopped supporting the PS3 blindly and mindlessly after they saw how it wasnt repeating the PS2´s success. BUT they also didnt jump on the Wii-waggon. Instead, they make nothing for the one system, and, well, crap for the other one.

So, let me ask, which home console should those who made many PS2-games a success buy? There is nothing for these gamers. Instead, they look at the NDS, and even if worse visuals, the kind of games they demand IS THERE.

I know it´s getting tiring, but this, again, is the fault of 3rd-party developers themselves. They smashed both of their kidneys and now wonder why they´re dying.

Kujo

Hardware numbers:

DSi - 49,529
PSP - 34,969
Wii - 20,412
PS3 - 16,082
DSL - 12,484
360 - 8,311
PS2 - 5,089

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Man hardware sales are just bad right now. Wii showing little sign of stabilizing.

cvxfreak

Wii numbers are pretty bad. There's no excusing it at this point.

Dispute this next point if you like (I'm open to opposing viewpoints), but it seems as if Nintendo has gone back to their GameCube-style tactics of releasing so little content consistently, even if occasionally there may be big hits. It's not like the DS, where Nintendo just flooded that system with unique titles that gave the system an identity. Even when Nintendo had to lighten its offerings, the third parties were there to fill in any gaps. With the Wii, that's just not happening. After Wii Fit, it's as if Nintendo thought that replicating the DS/GC (quite literally with the GC) and having Wii Music would be enough.

If the PS3 doesn't outsell or get very close to the Wii when Yakuza 3 and Biohazard 5 hit, then I'll be very surprised. Hell, at this point, Street Fighter IV may actually do something for the HD systems.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
Wii numbers are pretty bad. There's no excusing it at this point.

Dispute this next point if you like (I'm open to opposing viewpoints), but it seems as if Nintendo has gone back to their GameCube-style tactics of releasing so little content consistently, even if occasionally there may be big hits.

I think in Japan they've generally provided consistent content..the problem is lately that content isn't exactly compelling. And 3rd parties aren't exactly picking up the slack as you noted.

bwuh, first 360 outsells ps3, now ps3 is about to outsell wii

SO THEN BY SIMPLE TRANSITIVE LOGIC 360 WILL OUTSELL WII IN JAPAN rite

kiruyama said:
bwuh, first 360 outsells ps3, now ps3 is about to outsell wii

SO THEN BY SIMPLE TRANSITIVE LOGIC 360 WILL OUTSELL WII IN JAPAN rite
It did that "for realz" a little while back, at least according to Famitsu.

cvxfreak

schuelma said:
I think in Japan they've generally provided consistent content..the problem is lately that content isn't exactly compelling. And 3rd parties aren't exactly picking up the slack as you noted.

All there's been in the last few months is Wii Music, Animal Crossing City Folk and now Another Code R, aside from the Wii Asobu games. Wii Music was unique (I guess), but ACCF and Another Code were just basically retreads from GC or DS efforts. Something like AC can have excellent sales, but its effects on hardware weren't long lasting.

The only thing different I'd argue is that Nintendo has its evergreens, which make the chart look filled with Wii games. But the hardware sales are hugely disappointing.

bmf said:
Does the Wii still sell for 25000&#20870;? Maybe we'll see a price drop to stimulate sales.

It still does.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
cvxfreak said:
All there's been in the last few months is Wii Music, Animal Crossing City Folk and now Another Code R, aside from the Wii Asobu games. Wii Music was unique (I guess), but ACCF and Another Code were just basically retreads from GC or DS efforts. Something like AC can have excellent sales, but its effects on hardware weren't long lasting.

The only thing different I'd argue is that Nintendo has its evergreens, which make the chart look filled with Wii games. But the hardware sales are hugely disappointing.

It still does.

Its becoming a reverse PSP situation

This gen is getting FUBAR'd

freddy

Banned
@ Laguna
Yes I think comparing the numbers from the ps2/gc era would shed more light on it, particularly the period when those consoles were 2-3 years old.It SEEMS to me though that those consoles saw more support in the first couple of years compared to current gen. Also interesting is that the current top ten on consoles is dominated by PS3.

@JJS

That's exactly what I was looking for and it really supports Iwatas assertion that only the top games are selling and those outside the top 20 or so are doing it tough.

@Flying Phoenix

Do you think it's a case of Western gamers spending more time at home as a trend and Japanese gamers doing the opposite? If that's what's happening in Japan then home consoles have a tough battle given the quality of both handhelds and what they can offer.

@Stumpokapow

Looking at that DS list there are obviously a few titles that are seeing crossover success but obviously we've seen some not translate the sales on the console side. As a third party developer I'd be wondering just exactly what titles I should be developing. It seems a bit hit and miss as to what is successful and even then you have to take into account whether or not the title will garner sales overseas as well. Japan is obviously not as big a market as it used to be.

@ everyone

What games do you think should be released on home consoles? If you were a developer/publisher where would you be putting your games? Consoles? Portables? Perhaps accepting the market in Japan for what it is and aiming console releases at the worldwide market is the go.

Edit: I typed this up a few hours ago and forgot about it. :D

Top Bottom