• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/02 - 02/08

Jonnyram

farnham said:
I dont think that the VS series was ever as popular as the regular SF series.. i could be wrong though...
Aside from that factor, which is substantial but lacks statistical evidence in any case, there is the fact that SFIV was made on more powerful hardware, and a Wii port would need a rewrite, like Dead Rising. The ROI would be questionable at best.

farnham

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Aside from that factor, which is substantial but lacks statistical evidence in any case, there is the fact that SFIV was made on more powerful hardware, and a Wii port would need a rewrite, like Dead Rising. The ROI would be questionable at best.
I dont know how many copies they would need to sell.. but considering that the Wii has about the same installbase as PS3 and 360 combined i dont see how it is a surefire flop..

it will be a risk to port the game sure.. but i do think that they can sell a few more copies by porting it for sure..

pickwick

Tron 2.0 said:
Because third party games on the Wii are selling like shit.

No, this is because crap third party games on wii are selling like shit.
But what do u think about RE 4, Shaun White, Mario & sonic, GH III and IV, de blob, Rockband 1 & 2, Boom blox...
And wait for a little independant game named MH tri...

Jonnyram

farnham said:
I dont know how many copies they would need to sell.. but considering that the Wii has about the same installbase as PS3 and 360 combined i dont see how it is a surefire flop..
Are you totally oblivious to how software has been selling on Wii or something?

Dascu

Tatsunoko vs Capcom Wii sold about 25k copies first week, and if that data that showed up earlier is true, it has 46k LTD. For a VS fighter with little hype, that's pretty solid. I'd say that a big name as Street Fighter 4 could've at least matched the 360 version's sales in Japan. Heck, even Tatsunoko itself almost managed that.

Tron 2.0

farnham said:
yet the situation is better then on the 360 or on the ps3
I'm fairly confident that is not true, but I don't have any numbers to back me up.

pickwick said:
But what do u think about RE 4, Shaun White, Mario & sonic, GH III and IV, de blob, Rockband 1 & 2, Boom blox...
We're talking about Japan. RE4 and Mario & Sonic are the only games you mentioned that even registered.

Monster Hunter will no doubt sell well. But how well? Who can say.

Dascu

pickwick said:
Is Taiko no Tatsujin the proof that good third-party games on wii could have some legs, finally ?
Problem with that is, that it's not exactly the game a lot of Wii gamers (on this board at least) are wanting to see more of. We need games like Another Code R and Tenchu 4selling more.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dascu said:
We need games like Another Code R and Tenchu 4selling more.

If we start using Another Code as evidence of Wii software flops then that opens the door to a whole lot of Wii software successes.

Some 3rd party games have had a lot of trouble, but let's not get too carried away with bemoaning Wii software sales in general.

freddy

Banned
schuelma said:
If we start using Another Code as evidence of Wii software flops then that opens the door to a whole lot of Wii software successes.

Some 3rd party games have had a lot of trouble, but let's not get too carried away with bemoaning Wii software sales in general.
I think it's a case of trying to shoehorn games made for traditional control schemes or software that's just not suited for home consoles in the first place. Lets face it fighters using the Wiimote aren't the systems strong point and I was surprised that Another Code was announced for Wii at all. Games that have been designed from the ground up for the Wii from concept to release have generally done pretty well if they've had at least a little effort put into them.

I don't believe this bullshit that Nintendo like quality is untouchable. They're are good but not that good. It's mainly their software planning in that they know what console they are making games for that gives them an advantage.

Askia47

SF4 sales are pretty good. And remember SCIV wasn't in arcades before it was released.

Hopefully it sells 100K+ on ps3 and 80K+ on 360

Busaiku

I expected a lot more from Tenchu.
The other Tenchu game on PSP did far more, though I'm going by first week numbers.
I don't think this will really have legs that great though.
It's still better than the Wii version, but that's definitely still a big disappointment.

Street Fighter IV numbers are not that bad.
50% and 65% sell through is pretty good for first day.

farnham

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Are you totally oblivious to how software has been selling on Wii or something?
compared to the investment i dont think the wii market has been so bad to thirdparties in japan..

Weisheit said:
Are you totally oblivious to how software has been selling on PS360 or something?

plus this.. PS3 or 360 have not been any thirdparty juggernauts as well.. you could say 360 had solid sales compared to their installbase.. but that does not help capcom raking in the profits.. same with the ps3..

pickwick said:
we are talking about japan though..

i think only a few thirdparty games sold really well.. (taiko and DQS)

in the westernmarket the wii situation is pretty good as the overall softwaresales are starting to overtake the HD games sales

Rolf NB

sinseers said:
Anybody else notice that 360 HW is slowly climbing again and PS3 is slowly losing altitude again?
Yeah, relatively speaking, Xbox 360 is gaining by holding steady while everything else drops. I think the spirit of jimbo, as it watches over us all, will curl up and shine brightly for a moment when we get the numbers for Star Ocean 4 week.

Luckyman

Banned
Weisheit said:
Are you totally oblivious to how software has been selling on PS360 or something?

Capcom should have put it out day-and-date. Just for everybody to see it getting wiped by the 360 version.

ccbfan

Other than Mario and Luigi pretty mediocre first numbers all around.

Looked like the retailer got a pretty good grasp at all the markets though. Almost everyone is around 50 percent sell through.

Well except Tenchi. That bombed again.

cvxfreak

Resident Evil 4 (PlayStation 2): 454,979
Resident Evil 4 (PlayStation 2 The Best, 2006): 148,868
Resident Evil 4 (PlayStation 2 The Best, 2008): 47,603
Resident Evil 4 (GameCube): 220,799
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition: 136,344

Total: 1,008,593

BIOHAZARD 4 SURPASSES 1 MILLION IN JAPAN!
First Biohazard since Biohazard 3 to surpass the million mark, and the fourth in the series overall.

2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg

2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg

2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg

2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg

2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg

2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg
2vlwm5s.jpg

Famitsu Software Stuff
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 has a pretty great first week. It alone puts it just shy of being the top Tales of the World title.

It's also the biggest first week any Tales game has had since late 2006's Tales of Destiny PS2 remake.

The DS (3416) and Wii (3418) versions of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time do not exactly hold up well compared to the previous GCN (1203) and DS (147) games in the series.

In the last five months, three Soul Eater games have been released. Monotone Princess for Wii, Plot of Medusa for DS, and now Battle Resonance for PSP. They've all had pretty low first weeks, and the first two didn't chart their second week. Seems pretty doubtful this new one will buck the trend.
PSP+BR

With PSP games taking the top two spots for the week, total PSP software sales passed DS software sales for the week. The last time DS wasn't the top software platform of the week was last April, when Mario Kart Wii launched.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
With PSP games taking the top two spots for the week, total PSP software sales passed DS software sales for the week.

Cool. :lol I was curious what I could pull out of my database for this Famitsu week and for January as far as percentages/numbers. For this week, I got an even higher PSP percentage (43.3%) than the full Famitsu numbers which makes sense due to the sheer numbers of DS games available that would still be selling something below #30. What's particular interesting to me is that the PSP software total for the week from my database is 374K. For all of January, the PSP software total in my database was 413K. Quite a bump for this one week! :D

Eteric Rice

I think one big problem is the recession over there (almost a depression I hear). Less money for people to spend on luxury items means when they can buy a luxury item, they'll buy the best of the best (high budget) games instead of the risky stuff.

Jokeropia

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Tenchu disappoints once again, barely outselling Wii version (8k vs 10k).
Busaiku said:
It's still better than the Wii version, but that's definitely still a big disappointment.
Didn't they both do 10k? Or did we get some other numbers than these?
enishi said:
From Sinobi:

10/23 first day:

[PS2] デビルサマナー 葛葉ライドウ対アバドン王 (Devil Summoner) - 50k (normal + special version)
[NDS] Girls' Mode - 27k
[NDS] 悪魔城ドラキュラ 奪われた刻印 (Castlevania) - 14k

[PSP] Bleach
[Wii] Tenchu 4
Both around 10k
On a different note, I hadn't remembered that Girls' Mode only did 27k first day.

markatisu

Whoa look at that Tenchu sold poorly on another platform too, so much for it just being the Wii's fault the game did not do well.

SFIV sales are nothing super wow either, and people should not be comparing it to TvsC because SFIV hype was bordering on ridiculous all over the world.

What is the best selling fighting game "this gen" in JP?

Eteric Rice said:
I think one big problem is the recession over there (almost a depression I hear). Less money for people to spend on luxury items means when they can buy a luxury item, they'll buy the best of the best (high budget) games instead of the risky stuff.
The bubble bursting in the late 80's over there is also likely fresh in the minds of many. They already know how to scrimp and save when a recession is in progress.

Linkup

I for one don't have any problems with games like Taiko selling well on wii and welcome such software. Makes me wonder how Let's Tap failed so badly.

Looks like Tenchu 4 may have to do it's sell elsewhere. Perhaps the wii/psp port thing isn't going to work out or maybe they'll just make Tenchu 5 for NA/EU.

SilverLunar said:
250px-SSBB_Gameplay.jpg

:D Yes. If he wants one-on-one fighters across X360/PS3/Wii, though, I think these are the ones which at least hit 100K across platforms.

Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit PS3 - 163,010
Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit X360 - 25,051

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 Wii - 165,969

Soul Calibur IV PS3 - 109,318
Soul Calibur IV X360 - 53,403

Virtua Fighter V PS3 - 97,321
Virtua Fighter V X360 - 23,776

Dead or Alive 4 X360 - 108,618

There's also this, but I think it's four-player:

Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX Wii - 109,971

test_account said:
What is the reason for the increased price?
I know nothing of the situation, but I guess the implication is that demand is higher than supply.

JoshuaJSlone said:
:D Yes. If he wants one-on-one fighters across X360/PS3/Wii, though, I think these are the ones which at least hit 100K across platforms.

Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit PS3 - 163,010
Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit X360 - 25,051

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 Wii - 165,969

---
There's also this, but I think it's four-player:

Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX Wii - 109,971

I know nothing of the situation, but I guess the implication is that demand is higher than supply.

How about Bleach games? And does that mean that DBZ gamers have shifted to the Wii?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
shykyoichi said:
How about Bleach games? And does that mean that DBZ gamers have shifted to the Wii?
After the sales of DBZ:BT3 on Wii - i don't think so ^^

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
Ye, that might be :) By the way, how much did it go up in price, i forgot to ask abou that earlier.

EDIT: I added some text. I am sorry for the very late edit :\

C.T.

Stopsign said:
Where'd you get that number?

This thread, page 1 by stormbringer. Source is 2ch so it isn't official and confirmed. If it's correct, it really wouldn't be bad at all.

@ Spiegel

That's the new price. It was over 7.000 Yen before. When I was in japan early 2009 it was still over 6500-7xxx yen.

Spiegel

C.T. said:
This thread, page 1 by stormbringer. Source is 2ch so it isn't official and confirmed. If it's correct, it really wouldn't be bad at all.

@ Spiegel

That's the new price. It was over 7.000 Yen before. When I was in japan early 2009 it was still over 6500-7xxx yen.

7000+ Yen is the typical price of a ps2/wii third party game in Japan. And TvsC is two months old NOW, in early 2009 it was just released

Vinnk

Dash Kappei said:
45k for Tatsunoko vs Capcom is not bad at all, considering the game costs more today than on release day.

I haven't seen any price increases on this game in retail or online. At least not in Japan. Maybe for import stores.

Then again it didn't price collapse either which is what a lot of people thought would happen after first week sales were announced.

Seems Capcom shipped the right amount.

shykyoichi said:
How about Bleach games?
Here are Bleach games. There are none on current-gen home consoles, but among 16 GBA/DS/PSP/PS2/GCN releases it looks like only "Bleach DS 2nd: Kokui Hirameku Requiem" passed 100K, reaching 118K by the end of 2007.
And does that mean that DBZ gamers have shifted to the Wii?
It's not really clear they've shifted anywhere in particular. Burst Limit PS3 and near-launch Budokai Tenkaichi 2 Wii did similar numbers, but then BT3 for Wii did less 10 months later. The biggest DBZ game from the beginning of 2007 to present is the PS2 version of Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
PS2+IW

These look like they have a bit of... small legs, though. So it's kind of hard to get an idea of how they perform long run until way after the fact. When we get the 2008 Top 500 in mid-2009, we'll probably have a better idea of how the 2007 releases ended up. Then maybe in summer 2010 we'll see how the 2008 releases did. :lol

For example, we talk about Wii BT3 doing worse than Wii BT2, but really the period we have for both is pretty similar. Without updates it's hard to say whether it flatlined or continued up.
Wii+BT3

Linkup said:
I for one don't have any problems with games like Taiko selling well on wii and welcome such software. Makes me wonder how Let's Tap failed so badly.

Taiko is a relatively big name; Let's Tap is not.

Taiko appears to have a reasonably good ad push; Let's Tap did not.

I suspect that those two things broadly account for the disparity in sales.

Loudninja said:
So what you guys thin of the SF4 sales?

Street Fighter IV met Capcom's expectations (50% or more sell through for both versions). Remember this isn't the 90's anymore and fighters in Japan are geared toward the arcade market (in which Street Fighter IV seems to not have blown up in so far).

Also to note North America is Capcom's primary target for this game, let's wait until the next NPD before we make any judgements.

jj984jj said:
Well at least now that it's bombed twice we know it wasn't just being on Wii made it bomb the first time. :lol

Pretty much. 2k extra on a far bigger userbase (compared to the Wii then to now) is at least an indication. Then again the Wii version probably received more "hype" from being the first time it premiered, then again besides the userbase difference, when you are dealing with 10k or lower difference in sales (especially something as minor as 2k) really doesn't seem to close or open any doors.

Again people games usually sell bad because they aren't marketed correctly not because of the userbase.

Tron 2.0 said:
I'm fairly confident that is not true, but I don't have any numbers to back me up.

We're talking about Japan. RE4 and Mario & Sonic are the only games you mentioned that even registered.

Monster Hunter will no doubt sell well. But how well? Who can say.

3rd party games aren't selling particularly well on anything in Japan.

Yes I admit there are exceptions like Tales of Radiant or Taiko's Drum Game for the Wii but these are nearly becoming few and far inbetween.

Tenchu IV sold nearly the exact same on both the Wii and the PSP despite the userbase difference during the time of release.

The blockbuster 360 games light the charts for the first week, then drastically decline the second, then disappear (though this is easy to understand why).

And the Playstation 3 has definitely had it's far share of underperformers and flops.

As I've said before this isn't a "Wii" or "Nintendo" thing this is a "Japanese gaming market" thing.

Dascu said:
Tatsunoko vs Capcom Wii sold about 25k copies first week, and if that data that showed up earlier is true, it has 46k LTD. For a VS fighter with little hype, that's pretty solid.

While I agree that it showed some legs that isn't really anything to trot on about. I do admit that it didn't "bomb" as it hasn't price collapsed and that Capcom put so little budget and push into marketing but I wouldn't be so quick to call the numbers "solid" as more as it performed "moderately well".

Spiegel

Something interesting I didn't know about Tenchu IV is that the game is broken into linear sub-sections with a few enemies and it's not an "open ended" game like the previous Tenchu's. It's more like a Manhunt (killing ninjas in corridors) than a Tenchu.

Maybe this has something to do with the low sales of the Wii/PSP versions?

C.T.

Spiegel said:
7000+ Yen is the typical price of a ps2/wii third party game in Japan. And TvsC is two months old NOW, in early 2009 it was just released

Well, that's not correct. Wii games by Nintendo sell for 6.800 Yen including tax. That's for games like Zelda. Wii Sports is 4.800 Yen or 5.800 (Wario Ware). A Lot of third parties stick to this pricing scheme. 7140Yen is certainly expensive.

Top Bottom