• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/02 - 02/08

Bananakin

JoshuaJSlone said:
This isn't Japan-specific, but since this series of threads is the most continuous overall sales discussion and the data it comes from is months-old news I'll put it here.

I didn't think to look at sums before, but I now notice that as of the quarter ending September 2008, Nintendo passed shipment of 200 million home consoles worldwide. As of the quarter ending December 2008, they're just shy of 300 million portable consoles. Put together, the quarter ending December 2008 sees them passing a combined 500 million consoles.

http://garaph.info/shipmentbar.php/...ysreg-5/GCN_WW/sysreg-6/DS_WW/sysreg-7/Wii_WW

Awesome chart. I've seen all those numbers before, but it's really cool to see it visually like that. Regarding the GB/GBC split, it's something like 70M vs 50M, right?

It's interesting to compare GBC vs. GBA. While GBA outsold GBC by a fair bit, GBC only had 2.5 years on the market before it's successor came out (versus 3.5, roughly, for GBA). Both had three holiday seasons to themselves, though. Does anyone know how quickly the GBC's sales died off compared to the GBA (which coexisted for a while with the DS)?

ivysaur12

Banned
And the Wii is so close to passing the SNES (and has long since bucked the trend of Nintendo home consoles selling less than their predecessors).

sphinx

the piano man
I just finished reading last page...

did I miss an announcenment of MH3 being ported to PSP? I thougth it was THE Wii's next best 3rd party exclusive game in Japan.

Bananakin said:
Awesome chart. I've seen all those numbers before, but it's really cool to see it visually like that. Regarding the GB/GBC split, it's something like 70M vs 50M, right?
Something like that.
It's interesting to compare GBC vs. GBA. While GBA outsold GBC by a fair bit, GBC only had 2.5 years on the market before it's successor came out (versus 3.5, roughly, for GBA). Both had three holiday seasons to themselves, though. Does anyone know how quickly the GBC's sales died off compared to the GBA (which coexisted for a while with the DS)?
Seems like a pretty quick transition. Here's a bar view of GB/GBC's last years; I think it's safe to assume all the change going on is GBC. GBA launched in March 2001 in Japan, so the number through March 31, 2001 is the closest we've got to a GB/GBC number before GBA hit. It only did about 5 million after that. Whereas GBA had 15-20 million to go post-DS.

Actually, to bring things back to a bit more relevance for this thread, we do have Famitsu numbers for most of GBC's life. They tracked it for two years after the release of GBA, but during that time it sold all of 332,634.
fam

sphinx said:

did I miss an announcenment of MH3 being ported to PSP? I thougth it was THE Wii's next best 3rd party exclusive game in Japan.
You've missed nothing; I think it's just common wisdom that an eventual PSP version is inevitable. Though if it's timed anything like the other PSP versions relative to their console counterparts, it would be at least another year.

Jokeropia

sphinx said:

The Monster Hunter and Monster Hunter Portable series are for all intents and purposes considered separate, and even back when MH3 was heading for PS3 there was little doubt that an MHP3 would eventually be announced for PSP. (Though I don't think it's happened yet.)

This was never a question of Wii taking the MH franchise from the PSP, just like there was never a question of the PS2 doing so with MH2 or PS3 when MH3 was first announced. What happened was Wii taking the console part of the franchise away from PS3.

Spiegel

Famitsu Top Ten 02/09 - 02/15

1.[NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (Nintendo) *NEW*
2.[PS3] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) *NEW*
3.[PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui V (Bandai Namco) *NEW*
4.[360] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) *NEW*
5.[PS2] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui V (Bandai Namco) *NEW*
6.[PS2] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami)
7.[PSP] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami)
8.[PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 (Bandai Namco)
9.[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, PSP the Best (Capcom)
10.[NDS] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix)

LINK

Moor-Angol said:
i prepare popcorns while i'm waiting for hw numbers...

this topic could become hot in a couple on minutes :D

We haven't been getting hardware/top30 numbers until after Media-Create is released for the past few weeks.

Spiegel

Stopsign said:
We haven't been getting hardware/top30 numbers until after Media-Create is released for the past few weeks.

Sinobi leaked some hardware numbers last week (DS/PSP/WII/PS3). So I hope we won't have to wait that much

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
damn - how many gundam games have they released on psp the last 2 years ?

Spiegel said:
Famitsu Top Ten 02/09 - 02/15

1.[NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (Nintendo) *NEW*
2.[PS3] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) *NEW*
3.[PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui V (Bandai Namco) *NEW*
4.[360] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) *NEW*
5.[PS2] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui V (Bandai Namco) *NEW*

LINK
Pack it up Nintendo, Sony's back!

Usually on wednesday afternoon (CET) we get :

- Famitsu top10 with no numbers
- Famitsu top10 with numbers
- Famitsu hw numbers

is that really changed in latest weeks ? i didn't notice, sorry

Just in case famitsu leak is late and/or sinobi takes a while to update, dblog not totally reliable but close numbers are these:
-Mario & Luigi ~200k
-SF4 PS3 ~85k
-Both Gundam and SF4 360 ~40k

The rest is probably 20k or lower.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Just in case famitsu leak is late and/or sinobi takes a while to update, dblog not totally reliable but close numbers are these:
-Mario & Luigi ~200k
-SF4 PS3 ~85k
-SF4 360 ~40k
-Both Gundam ~40k

very good numbers for all new releases, if confirmed (imo)

Moor-Angol said:

- Famitsu hw numbers

I could be wrong.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Moor-Angol said:

- Famitsu hw numbers

I think its been later, like Wednesday night for the past 2-3 weeks.

cw_sasuke said:
damn - how many gundam games have they released on psp the last 2 years ?
Before this one I count five.
Code:
2007-04-05  Kidou Senshi Gundam Seed : Rengou Vs. Z.A.F.T. Portable
2007-10-04  Gundam Battle Chronicle
2008-02-07  Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui
2008-07-17  Gundam Battle Universe
2008-11-20  Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam

Spiegel

Meh, no hardware leak

Sinobi:

NDS Mario & Luigi RPG 3 220k
PS3 SFIV 85k
360 SFIV 36k
SFIV Total 121k

Fighting games first week comparison

Virtua Fighter 5 PS3 52k 360 13k TOTAL 65k
Soul Calibur IV PS3 74k 360 35k TOTAL 109k
Street Fighter IV PS3 85k 360 36k TOTAL 121k

Top 10+numbers

1.[NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (Nintendo) 220k
2.[PS3] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) 85k
4.[360] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) 36k

not a good week at all for the wii, is this gonna be the first week with no wii games in the top 10? theres nothing big til MHG and Muramasa in april is there?

Link

The Autumn Wind
From the other thread:

Link said:
That's what happens when a console has no games being released for it. Expect the PS3 to top it this week. Also expect it to only get worse.
Looks like third parties are finally getting what they wanted.

duckroll

JoshuaJSlone said:
Before this one I count five.
Code:
2007-04-05  Kidou Senshi Gundam Seed : Rengou Vs. Z.A.F.T. Portable
2007-10-04  Gundam Battle Chronicle
2008-02-07  Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui
2008-07-17  Gundam Battle Universe
2008-11-20  Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam

I think you forgot Gundam Battle Tactics and at least one G-Generation game.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Link said:
From the other thread:

Looks like third parties are finally getting what they wanted.

Link what will you say this Spring when Wii Sports Resort hits?

Or this summer when Monster Hunter Tri hits?

This is just absolutely absurd. Yes, Wii sales are not good. Hardware sales are poor. Software wise there aren't any games making an impact.

But let's have some sort of perspective here. ONE YEAR AGO at this time Wii was keeping pace with both handhelds. Even up till this past October it was doing a consistent 40-45K a week. Hell two months ago in December it was #2 or #3 hardware wise depending on what tracker was being used.

Let's not get carried away here.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
schuelma said:
Link what will you say this Spring when Wii Sports Resort hits?

Or this summer when Monster Hunter Tri hits?

This is just absolutely absurd. Yes, Wii sales are not good. Hardware sales are poor. Software wise there aren't any games making an impact.

But let's have some sort of perspective here. ONE YEAR AGO at this time Wii was keeping pace with both handhelds. Even up till this past October it was doing a consistent 40-45K a week. Hell two months ago in December it was #2 or #3 hardware wise depending on what tracker was being used.

Let's not get carried away here.

Sell your Wiis! Moon is falling, likes to grin a lot!

duckroll said:
He was talking about the last two years, so I just looked from the beginning of 2007 to present. The ones you're talking about seem to be among the five PSP Gundam games released before 2007.

schuelma said:
Even up till this past October it was doing a consistent 40-45K a week.
Not quite; 2008 had quite a big slow period. Before the November bounce it was last above 40K one week of August, and was consistently in the 40-45K range back in July.

frankie_baby said:
not a good week at all for the wii, is this gonna be the first week with no wii games in the top 10?
Looks like the last such week was the week beginning November 10. Wii Fit was at #12. Wii still had 10% of software sales according to Famitsu's software pie, though.

donny2112

duckroll said:

It's only Gundam games on the PSP in the last two years. In that case, the only game he's missing is a BEST re-release of SD Gundam G-Generation Portable from last October, and that game didn't make the Top 30, which is why it's not listed in the database.

duckroll

donny2112 said:
It's only Gundam games on the PSP in the last two years. In that case, the only game he's missing is a BEST re-release of SD Gundam G-Generation Portable from last October, and that game didn't make the Top 30, which is why it's not listed in the database.

Oh okay. Yeah Tactics was released quite a while ago.

markatisu

Oxx said:
Only 200k to go before they sell the first shipment!

Your point being? It was obvious Square overshipped (or retailers overordered) but the fact it has not price collapsed and remains in the Top 10 means it was at the least not a complete super bomba

Anyone ever tell you that you're an unrelenting pessimist?

I had him on ignore for a while but then I grew to miss his chicken little posts, I think I will buy him dinner the one day I see him actually happy about a 3rd party Wii game

Rolf NB

Spiegel said:
Fighting games first week comparison

Virtua Fighter 5 PS3 52k 360 13k TOTAL 65k
Soul Calibur IV PS3 74k 360 35k TOTAL 109k
Street Fighter IV PS3 85k 360 36k TOTAL 121k
That's encouraging. I was worried it could end up in the same spot as VF5, but SF4 still seems to have a stronger draw.

markatisu said:
Your point being? It was obvious Square overshipped (or retailers overordered) but the fact it has not price collapsed and remains in the Top 10 means it was at the least not a complete super bomba
Ehh, it's still all relative. Both the previous GCN and DS games were #2 in their third week, and sold about 30K that week. How it's performing as a fraction of those games is probably staying the same or getting worse.

test_account

XP-39C²
Laguna said:
Where´s Sony? Nintendo is on top followed by Capcom, Bandai and Konami.
I guess it depends on how you look at it. Spot 2-3 and spot 5-9 within the top 10 is on Sony's gaming systems, so Sony are in those spots, if you know what i mean :) The reason why Sony are in those spots are thanks to Capcom, Bandai and Konami though :) But ye, i know what you mean, that Sony havnt made and/or published any of the games in this week's top 10 Famitsu numbers, that is true as you say.

EDIT: I added some text.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Anyone ever tell you that you're an unrelenting pessimist?
Yes, though no one's really giving me reasons not to be. As a pessimist, you're either proven right, or pleasantly surprised. Just look at Dead Space Extraction for the latest example.

EDIT -
markatisu said:
I had him on ignore for a while but then I grew to miss his chicken little posts, I think I will buy him dinner the one day I see him actually happy about a 3rd party Wii game
I dunno, the sky is definitely falling at the moment.

Spiegel said:
Look at the top ten

Okay, I'm calling it now. Psp will be the new ps2 in 2010 (in Japan)

:p
PSP 2009 is the new PSP 2005 to be honest.

Ports, rehashes, yearly sequels and quirky games that won't get localized. Oh, and a bunch of Monster Hunter clones instead of the real Monster Hunter ports and rehashes.

Btw, I wouldn't expect any hardware news if sinobi didn't mention them.

Spiegel

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
PSP 2009 is the new PSP 2005 to be honest.

Ports, rehashes, yearly sequels and quirky games that won't get localized. Oh, and a bunch of Monster Hunter clones instead of the real Monster Hunter ports and rehashes.

Btw, I wouldn't expect any hardware news if sinobi didn't mention them.

That's why I said 2010. Now the ports, sequels and quirky games are selling!
But you are right, with Sony doing nothing the situation is not going to improve that much

markatisu said:
There we go I was waiting for a PSP is awesome post from you

This thread has had little movement and someone had to start the weekly argumentation. :p

Top Bottom