• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/18 - 2/24

ZeoVGM

Banned
ethelred said:
No, it isn't. At all. But feel free to think whatever you like. Last I checked, this is a sales thread, though.

Fine opinion, but your comment acted as if SSBB isn't quality, and it is fantastic.

Mar

Wow... I so didn't expect to see Bioshock in a Japanese sales thread. Has this game just been released or is it a budget re-release? If it's a new release, that's one hell of a delay.

loosus

Banned
If only Super Mario Galaxy were a tenth the quality of New Super Mario Bros., it'd still be here with us today -- and probably in the top five, too. Oh, well. Better luck next Mario!

near

Gold Member
Pleasing EO2 sales!

Mar_ said:
Wow... I so didn't expect to see Bioshock in a Japanese sales thread. Has this game just been released or is it a budget re-release? If it's a new release, that's one hell of a delay.

Just been released, [21/02].

D.Lo

Magicpaint said:
I prefer Famitsu's numbers for EO2, but prefer Media-Create's for Harvest Moon. I'm torn!
Wait for the hardware sales to decide which tracker was right this week.

Wow, I guess if I ever wanted to build a kicking machine for some reason, I could just line you guys up and say "Smash isn't a good game" to get your knees to all jerk at once. Useful knowledge!

ethelred said:
It stacks up pretty well against the earlier entries overall, though it's significantly lower than last year's Harvest Moon.

Code:
Mineral Town	  	GBA  	20,050  	14,749  	10,537  	161,430
Mineral Town (Girls)	GBA 	10,757 		- 		- 		108,362
Colobuckle Station	NDS 	22,926 		14,619 		9,439 		107,136
Colobuckle Station (G)	NDS 	- 		- 		- 		112,811
Island I Grew Up On	NDS 	70,980 		30,360 		24,925 		304,348
Tree of Life 		Wii 	18,733 		7,236 		- 		25,969

It's also lower than Rune Factory 2's first week, which is kinda funny. Could we be seeing the spinoff transcending the mother series?

These guys really need to come up with a better plan, IMO. They've done fantastically well off of Harvest Moon lately, but they keep rushing out games with horrible bugs and miniscule upgrades from their last release. It doesn't surprise me to see Rune Factory 2 trending higher than the real series for that reason.

jarrod

Banned
charlequin said:
These guys really need to come up with a better plan, IMO. They've done fantastically well off of Harvest Moon lately, but they keep rushing out games with horrible bugs and miniscule upgrades from their last release. It doesn't surprise me to see Rune Factory 2 trending higher than the real series for that reason.
I'm surprised to see the Wii game trending in line with the GC releases... you'd think it'd manage somewhat better.

Agreed though that more effort needs to be put into each release... making BM an annual, buggy cash-in won't help the series. It's also way bigger in the west now (HMDS sold 500k in Europe and AWL managed the same in the USA) so I think more effort should really be put into timlier localzations and releases... though that might be an issue with Natsume.

Holy shit. Brawl always at the first place. EO2 failed to replace it.

loosus said:
If only Super Mario Galaxy were a tenth the quality of New Super Mario Bros., it'd still be here with us today -- and probably in the top five, too. Oh, well. Better luck next Mario!

What ?

Paracelsus

tanod said:
Crime against humanity.

The only crime I see there is related to Bioshock, really a shame. There's no reason instead to be sad about seeing such a shittyvomit port bomb (I'm talking about LP, if this was not obvious enough).

jarrod

Banned
jasonbay said:
Does PS3 have anything coming soon that will sell more than 50k?
I'd say...

03.06.08 Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! (SEGA/NE1)
03.19.08 Armored Core: For Answer (SEGA/From Software)
04.24.08 Senjou no Valkyria: The Gallian Chronicles (SEGA/GE3)

...and really, that's about it on the schedule currently. Really strange to think SEGA's basically single handedly holding up the next generation PlayStation in Japan right now. Who'd have thought we'd ever see that 10 or even 5 years ago. :/

jarrod

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
WT heck. Your number is out of this world is you mean Japan.
WEDS did it in 2006, and had an eerily similar launch figure and release circumstances. 100k+ lifetime wouldn't suprise me at this point really, which is pretty big turn around from the 10-20k sales most of us expected originally.

tanod

when is my burrito
Paracelsus said:
The only crime I see there is related to Bioshock, really a shame. There's no reason instead to be sad about seeing such a shittyvomit port bomb (I'm talking about LP, if this was not obvious enough).

I meant Lost Planet doing better than BioShock. :(

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
WT heck. Your number is out of this world is you mean Japan.
Well I doubt it myself but depending on how it performs in the long run it is possible. I think it'll stay more in the 100k range. Either way nothing to write home about.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Magicpaint said:
I prefer Famitsu's numbers for EO2, but prefer Media-Create's for Harvest Moon. I'm torn!

Go with the one that helps your arguement more.

Jirotrom

ethelred said:
I never said any such thing. No need to be so insecure.
you didn't... but you called it fanwank which is as good as saying the game wouldn't be as fun w/o all the Nintendo properties. I find that false... to each his own though.

Jirotrom said:
you didn't... but you called it fanwank which is as good as saying the game wouldn't be as fun w/o all the Nintendo properties. I find that false... to each his own though.

Unless your opinion of Nintendo characters/music/setting are in the negative zone, the game would most definitely be less fun without the Nintendo properties.

Haunted

Pureauthor said:
Unless your opinion of Nintendo characters/music/setting are in the negative zone, the game would most definitely be less fun without the Nintendo properties.
Well, you know ethel.

Jirotrom

Pureauthor said:
i honestly don't think so, A good majority of those characters I could careless about, (I don't get a hard on because I get to play with mario or anything) I personally actually like the game for its gameplay aspect. If it was a game with some other random franchise and items to throw I would like it just the same. I guess for some people its hard to see that. Now I'm not disagreeing that alot of the sales are from fanservice customers, but personally I think the game would be fun with or w/o. I loved the crap out of Powerstone btw and that game has no fanservice as far as I can tell.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jirotrom said:
i honestly don't think so, A good majority of those characters I could careless about, (I don't get a hard on because I get to play with mario or anything) I personally actually like the game for its gameplay aspect. If it was a game with some other random franchise and items to throw I would like it just the same. I guess for some people its hard to see that. Now I'm not disagreeing that alot of the sales are from fanservice customers, but personally I think the game would be fun with or w/o. I loved the crap out of Powerstone btw and that game has no fanservice as far as I can tell.

I found Jump Ultimate Stars enjoyable and I don't even know who the fuck most of the characters are.

Jirotrom

Stumpokapow said:
I found Jump Ultimate Stars enjoyable and I don't even know who the fuck most of the characters are.
same here... love that game as well, I think i only know 1/5th of that character roster.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Jirotrom said:
Jirotrom said:
A good majority of those characters I could careless about, (I don't get a hard on because I get to play with mario or anything) I personally actually like the game for its gameplay aspect. If it was a game with some other random franchise and items to throw I would like it just the same. I guess for some people its hard to see that. Now I'm not disagreeing that alot of the sales are from fanservice customers, but personally I think the game would be fun with or w/o.
Jirotrom said:
A good majority of those characters I could careless about, (I don't get a hard on because I get to play with mario or anything) I personally actually like the game for its gameplay aspect. If it was a game with some other random franchise and items to throw I would like it just the same.
Jirotrom said:
A good majority of those characters I could careless about, (I don't get a hard on because I get to play with mario or anything)
Jirotrom said:
A good majority of those characters I could careless about
Jirotrom said:
those characters I could careless about
Jirotrom said:
I could careless about
Jirotrom said:
could careless

AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH

caring.png

NeonZ

Pureauthor said:

I won't say that it isn't true, but it depends on what kind of replacements we'd get.

The advantage of crossover games, besides the obvious one for the fans of the franchises involved, is the wide variation of designs- especially when those differences aren't only aesthetic, also influencing on the gameplay. In Smash Bros, Samus and Mario have even different gravities affecting their jumps to stay a bit closer to their origins. If there were no necessity to references multiple sources, would something like that happen as often as in Smash?

Would no crossover mean a more uniform character design? Probably, and that would be one of the disadvantages compared to the current game. Without crossovers there'd also be less collectibles too, like trophies, stickies and even music, due to less resources to draw them from.

It could also mean more focus on storyline and other ways to make the playable cast stand out because they wouldn't have backing from other franchises to do that. It'd be a rather different experience from the real game and would certainly be limited in a number of ways. Even stretching this kind of comparison only works with the first SSB, unless you ignore everything but the basic game engine. Melee and Brawl just wouldn't exist in a number of ways if they weren't crossover games.

hokahey

Crushed said:
AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH

caring.png

Oh my god. This is one of my biggest pet peeves and this is the first time I've seen someone else call someone on it. I'll forever save that image to my hard drive. :lol

jarrod said:
Agreed though that more effort needs to be put into each release... making BM an annual, buggy cash-in won't help the series. It's also way bigger in the west now (HMDS sold 500k in Europe and AWL managed the same in the USA) so I think more effort should really be put into timlier localzations and releases... though that might be an issue with Natsume.

Yep. It's huge in the West now -- I don't think you can really go through life as (say) a 13-year old girl gamer without getting sucked into Harvest Moon right now.

I don't really know the exact dev situation, but it seems to me like they've got one tiny, understaffed team churning out title after title in an attempt to milk that market, and I just don't think it's going to work out for them. Magical Melodies was a really solid effort, relatively speaking, and I think they'd do better to take that approach with the DS as well -- two titles spread across the generation, each dramatically increasing the feature set and depth of the game.

Jirotrom said:
you didn't... but you called it fanwank which is as good as saying the game wouldn't be as fun w/o all the Nintendo properties.

No, seriously: people who think Smash Bros. would be as much fun without the Nintendo properties need to get over themselves. (Also, read the incredibly active hopeful speculation slash meltdownage that went on over SSBB's roster as it was revealed.) Easily a third of what's fun about the game is that you can make Kirby put on a little Samus hat and shoot lasers, and trying to downplay that so the game can be a "respectable" "fighter" is downright silly.

tanod said:
I meant Lost Planet doing better than BioShock. :(

You should be happy that anyone in Japan bought Bioshock. :lol

I still can't get over the fact that we're getting Magical Melody as a Wii game in EU. :lol So awesome and sad at the same time.

Kuramu

hokahey said:
Oh my god. This is one of my biggest pet peeves and this is the first time I've seen someone else call someone on it. I'll forever save that image to my hard drive. :lol

New to GAF? ;) could care less seems to be one of the most called out errors, second only to "I something something, Literally."

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Kuramu said:
New to GAF? ;) could care less seems to be one of the most called out errors, second only to "I something something, Literally."

my jaw literally dropped when reading how care less you've been with you're recent posts

Top Bottom