• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/4 - 2/10

pswii60

Lobster said:
Why is it so bad for DS to be doing 60k when its reach 21 million in 3 years?

It took Ps2 7 years to reach 21 million..

If you want this answer to this, you should check the January NPD thread. As soon as one thing outsells another, it's like :O:O:O:O "It begins" etc.

Lobster

Banned
sinnergy said:
Because PSP is winning this month! :lol

Oh noes PSP is gonna catch up to DS in like 2015

pswii60 said:
If you want this answer to this, you should check the January NPD thread. As soon as one thing outsells another, it's like :O:O:O:O "It begins" etc.

I always wait till the thread dies down to post in NPD threads..everyone gets really silly..MC is usually tame and only has about 1 stupid person each time but this PSP>DS thing is getting out of hand..

justchris

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Come on guys, I have an exam in an hour and a half and no one posts first day data that has been available for quite a time...

First day data
PS2 Poison Pink - 32.000 (>60% sell through)
PS2 Kimikiss (ebKore+) - 28.000 (equals full price edition first day)
NDS Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2nd Season - 20.000 (twice the first one opening)
NDS Otometeki Koi Kakumei * Love Revo!! DS - 4.000
PSP Medal of Honor Heroes 2 - 2.000 (10% sell through)
WII Medal of Honor Heroes 2 (normal edition + wii zapper bundle) - <1.000 (10% sell through)

Really good for Poison Pink.
Really bad for MoH: H2. I guess Wii/PSP are not the place to go for FPS in Japan.

test_account

XP-39C²
antiloop said:
PS3 will join the 360 down there if this continues. Although it seems to outsell the 360 6:1 every week still.

That goes for every system though. If they contunie to drop they will eventually join the 360 ;) I dont think we'll see PS3 down at around 5k, atleast not for a long long time. Maybe 10k though, but i dont think it will be as low as around 5k.

Avrum

Man, between this and NPD, you would think this is the Sony fans' redemption period or something. This...is going to be a fun year; I can feel it in mah BONES!

I have a feeling the DS will be fine. They haven't cancelled Dragon Quest DS (whichever number that is), right? Yeah, it'll be fine. And they can always drop the price and release Brain Training 3 and/or Nintencats. :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Leondexter said:
I have a feeling the DS will be fine. They haven't cancelled Dragon Quest DS (whichever number that is), right? Yeah, it'll be fine. And they can always drop the price and release Brain Training 3 and/or Nintencats. :)

You cant rely on the same franchises over and over. BT 3 will give you dimished returns. They'll need something new, but with them shifting focus to Wii they likely wont have anything

nli10

JoshuaJSlone said:
At this week's MC rate late 2024, or mid 2011 if DS immediately stops selling.

Kinda puts it into perspective, but PSP is still doing well for a 2nd place system.

BishopLamont said:
Yeah one of the least interesting NPDs...

I've still got no idea why it takes America 2 weeks to process the top 10 data when the UK stuff is available as top 30s for each system 2 days after the week ends! Maybe the subscribers get it sooner and the free data appears when we see it?

oneHeero

Lobster said:
Why is it so bad for DS to be doing 60k when its reach 21 million in 3 years?

It took Ps2 7 years to reach 21 million..
I thought gaf was over the whole comparing console sales to handheld sales. I mean come on..

Sule

HK-47 said:
You cant rely on the same franchises over and over. BT 3 will give you dimished returns. They'll need something new, but with them shifting focus to Wii they likely wont have anything

More resources for Wii game development doesn't mean there won't be any new hit DS casual games. How many people worked on Brain Training? You don't need a lot of people to make a hit. Nintendo has prototypes ready and is testing new ideas for casual (and core, obviously) games every day. Small dedicated teams are working on the next big thing right now, we just don't know what it's gonna be only that it's going to be big.

AAK said:
*Looks at PSP hardware number*

Nice.

*Looks at number of PSP games in top 50*

hmmm......

Only 4 games into the entire top 50 is depressing, but I noticed that almost every week there is at least one PSP game into the top 10. This game usually sells well, but it hasn't legs.
Otherwise....said and re-said: PSP is selling very well, but not for its games.

jarrod

Banned
JudgeN said:
GAF has never been over it, they love to compare apples to oranges.
Yep... but only when it suits their arguments. :lol

Sonycorps circa 2003-2005; "PSP will do to DS what PS did to N64!"
Nintards circa 2006-now; "Wii will do to PS360 what DS did to PSP!"

Lobster

Banned
oneHeero said:
I thought gaf was over the whole comparing console sales to handheld sales. I mean come on..

Im comparing the "used to be best selling video game hardware" to "the best selling video game hardware"..

jarrod said:

Nintards circa 2006-now; "Wii will do to PS360 what DS did to PSP!"
Big difference between DS/PSP and Wii/PS3 is that DS/PSP were both close. The Wii and PS3 difference is more like the Grand Canyon. The domination has been happening for the past year, you gotta be pretty blind not to see it.

MisterHero

jarrod said:

Sonycorps circa 2006-now; "Wii is not the DS! Portable success doesn't transfer to consoles!"
actually I think the above was more the case :)

31./27. [WII] Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo)
32./33. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5)
33./40. [NDS] DS Literature Collection (Nintendo)
34./07. [360] Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom)
35./00. [PSP] Coded Soul (Sony)
36./38. [PS2] Yakuza 2 (Sega)
37./39. [NDS] More Brain Age (Nintendo)
38./15. [PS3] Need for Speed: Pro Street (EA)
39./35. [NDS] Powerful Pro-kun Pocket 10 (Konami)
40./00. [PS3] Transformers: The Game (Activision)
41./43. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami)
42./44. [NDS] Rune Factory 2 (Marvelous Entertainment)
43./48. [PS2] Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Capcom)
44./36. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision)
45./45. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo)
46./47. [NDS] More English Training (Nintendo)
47./46. [NDS] Kanji Test 2 (Rocket Co.)
48./41. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary (Nintendo)
49./00. [NDS] MySims (EA)
50./50. [NDS] Brain Age (Nintendo)

NDS - 25
WII - 9
PS3 - 6
PS2 - 5
PSP - 4
360 - 1

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. WII   -    81,737 |    94,473 |   624,719 |  5,240,879
2. PSP   -    75,912 |    72,528 |   620,689 |  8,222,283
3. NDS   -    60,464 |    67,472 |   659,818 | 21,832,869
4. PS3   -    23,985 |    41,796 |   241,351 |  1,883,027
5. PS2   -    11,038 |    12,115 |    94,565 | 21,021,602
6. 360   -     3,615 |     6,060 |    32,976 |    540,317

s_20080204.png

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
test_account
(02-14-2008, 08:20 PM)

The hardware numbers are up now :)

Cheesemeister
(Today, 03:37 PM)

Hardware #'s

CoolTrick was right, we shouldn't wait for Cheese!

Pachael

jarrod said:

Sonycorps circa 2006-2007; "Wii is not the DS! Portable success doesn't transfer to consoles!"
Sonycorps circa Jan 2008; "PS3 tide is turning becuase of Blu-Ray! Number one in three months!"

Fixed, as always.

Cheesemeister said:
Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       [B]YTD[/B] |        LTD
1. WII   -    81,737 |    94,473 |   [B]624,719 [/B]|  5,240,879
2. PSP   -    75,912 |    72,528 |   [B]620,689[/B] |  8,222,283
3. NDS   -    60,464 |    67,472 |  [B] 659,818[/B] | 21,832,869
4. PS3   -    23,985 |    41,796 | [B]  241,351[/B] |  1,883,027
5. PS2   -    11,038 |    12,115 |  [B]  94,565[/B] | 21,021,602
6. 360   -     3,615 |     6,060 |    [B]32,976[/B] |    540,317
It's clear what the Japanese like. The DS selling as fast as the PSP after selling 21 million yet it's "saturated". :lol

apujanata

Fuzzy said:
test_account
(02-14-2008, 08:20 PM)

The hardware numbers are up now :)

Cheesemeister
(Today, 03:37 PM)

Hardware #'s

CoolTrick was right, we shouldn't wait for Cheese!

It is valentine day. Valid excuse for those who have life :p

Vinnk

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

"Vinnk's Village" Anecdotal Report

Here is my Valentine to the sales-age gaffers. Sorry these reports are few and far between but with all the wedding prep. and various other projects I have a lot less time to do this. This report is numbers from Friday the 15th rather then the usual Thursday numbers. The reason for this is that Thursday was Valentines day and if I had spent the day going to game stores over seeing her, I can assure you I would be getting a LOT of free time in the future.

I was asked to look for numbers on Wii, Family Ski and Mario and Sonic DS. I was also asked to check the advertising and hype for Winning Eleven 2008 Wii. I visited the stores on Friday, February 15th, 2008.

Jusco
Wii: 2
Family Ski: 1
Mario and Sonic DS:3

Youme Town
Wii: 1
Family Ski: Sold out (or never ordered)
Mario and Sonic DS: 4

Mr. Max
Wii: Sold out
Mario and Sonic DS: 1

Book-Net
Wii: Sold out
Mario and Sonic DS: 2

Goody
Mario and Sonic DS: Sold out

Best Denki
Wii: 3
Family Ski: 1
Mario and Sonic DS: 5

Wanpaku
Family Ski: Sold out (but they did have some)
Mario and Sonic DS: 7

Famicom Dojo
Family Ski: Sold out (they did have some)
Mario and Sonic DS: 1

Yamada Denki
Wii: 3
Mario and Sonic DS: 6

TOTALS:
Wii: 12
Family Ski: 2
Mario and Sonic DS: 29

NOTES:

1. Last week Wii was at the lowest level I have seen this year. This week it is even lower. Still it is far from sold out. Seems Nintendo is shipping them regularly. But yeah, there are no piles of Wii systems at any store.

2. DS is another story. There are tons of units everywhere. I have never seen so much supply. Every color of the rainbow.

3. PSP would be in a fairly close second. Stores have almost as many of them as DS. And they are starting to get much more prominent store positioning. Both Wanpaku and Book-net have moved the units to the front of the store.

4. Family Ski is kind of weird. I can’t figure out if it is a super hot item or if stores just never bothered with it. Famicom Dojo ordered 1 and they sold it. I don’t know how many Wanpaku ordered but they sold them. The other stores don’t even seem to have placeholders for the game and since I don’t have any friends working those places, I can’t tell if they ever bought any to begin with. As it stands right now, there are 2 copies for sale in my city.

5. Used copies of DMC4 are now readily available. I expect sales to go down because of this. The remaining 2 360 DMC4 bundles were sold. But coincidentally 2 Used Blue Dragon bundles appeared at the same store. It would be funny if it was some big trade-in but more likely they have been in the back for a while and the store just moved them out in place of the other bundles.

6. There are posters up for WE Wii at 4 of the game shops and flyers at 2. There is a video display set-up at once store but the TV was turned off when I was there so I am not sure what video they are showing. I hope it’s the one that explains the gameplay mechanic. As for hype, the otaku gamers don’t care. They don’t really buy sports games. I asked a few guys I know who are into soccer games. 2 of them don’t have the Wii systems so they are very happy with their PS2 version. The one guy I know why has a Wii told me he doesn't plan to buy the game again (he also has the PS2 version) and he says this one looks “too complicated”. Sorry I wasn’t able to get a lot of data on this one. Still it seems Konami is trying to get the word out. It’s not great advertising (like DMC4 or a Gundam game) but it is better than most 3rd party Wii efforts.

7. The local otaku are excited about the new PSP monster hunter. They are playing Tales of Destiny and a few bought that new Death Note game but one girl told me it wasn’t very good.

8. Smash is now more readily available (though still not abundant) so the crying Pikachu picture was taken down. I wish I had gotten a better picture of it; it could have been my avatar.

Previous Reports:

January 10th 2008
December 6th, 2007
November 29th,2007
November 22nd, 2007
November 15th, 2007
October 15th, 2007
September 6th, 2007
August 30th, 2007
August 11th,2007
July 26th, 2007
July 19th, 2007
July 12th, 2007
July 5th, 2007
June 28th, 2007
June 21st, 2007
June 14th, 2007
June 7th, 2007
May 30th, 2007
May 24th, 2007
May 17th, 2007
May 10th, 2007

donny2112

Is the DS and PSP supply situation unique, or did the PS2 have the same kind of "stacks" when it was hot?

Not too encouraging for WE Wii. Coming out later seems to be seriously stunting its anticipation factor. :/

Innotech

Banned
HK-47 said:
Sony never relies on the same franchises. Ps3 userbase is waiting for brand new concepts like MGS4, FF13, GT5, GTA4, REsistance 2, God of War 3, RE5, and Killzone 2. An incredible lineup of fresh new franchises.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Innotech said:
Sony never relies on the same franchises. Ps3 userbase is waiting for brand new concepts like MGS4, FF13, GT5, GTA4, REsistance 2, God of War 3, RE5, and Killzone 2. An incredible lineup of fresh new franchises.
Are you an idiot? Where was I talking about PS3?

Innotech

Banned
HK-47 said:
Are you an idiot? Where was I talking about PS3?
Ps3/PSP are interchangeable in this instance. Both of them get mostly sequels to past big franchises. Its what sells, and it proves you wrong.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Innotech said:
Ps3/PSP are interchangeable in this instance. Both of them get mostly sequels to past big franchises. Its what sells, and it proves you wrong.

No they are not. First off, many of those franchises are going to be the first of thier kind of the PS3, which is different than the BT series which already has 2 iterations on the DS. MGS4 will more fresh and new than BT 3

Second they target different people. Many of the people buying BT are very casual, and would probably not see a reason to get BT 3 since they already have BT 1 or 2. There is no hardcore fanbase, no storyline to continue, so there is not much pull for people to come back. Why do you think Nintendo has been reluctant to make Wii Sports 2? Where is Nintendogs 2?

Innotech

Banned
HK-47 said:
No they are not. First off, many of those franchises are going to be the first of thier kind of the PS3, which is different than the BT series which already has 2 iterations on the DS. MGS4 will more fresh and new than BT 3

Second they target different people. Many of the people buying BT are very casual, and would probably not see a reason to get BT 3 since they already have BT 1 or 2. There is no hardcore fanbase, no storyline to continue, so there is not much pull for people to come back. Why do you think Nintendo has been reluctant to make Wii Sports 2? Where is Nintendogs 2?
:lol

Top Bottom