• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/19 - 5/25

DiddyBop

Vinnk said:
What do you mean?

This gen hasn't even started yet.

It starts when Sony says it does.

And looking at the sales, they havn't said it yet.

All this people playing Wii don't even realize the generation hasn`t started yet.

Those fools.

:: Waits for generation to start ::
:lol

Vinnk

EDIT: Meant to write as a PM. (need more sleep)

As for the shortness of threads, it's just a boring time of the year. Look at the sales, no one is buying anything. Not much to say.

Post one: Looks like Wii Fit and Monster Hunter are selling.

Post two: yep

Post three: PS3 not doing so good.

Post four: nope

Post five: I disagree it's selling fine for an expensive system.

Post six: You moron.

Post seven: [Graphs]

Post Eight: Hey, what happened to post 5 guy?

Post Nine: Obscure francise is sop great, why don't people buy it.

Post ten: What day are new numbers!?

Vinnk said:
What do you mean?

All this people playing Wii don't even realize the generation hasn`t started yet.

Those fools.

:lol
Oh shit, this generation is never going to start then.

Saitou

Banned
justchris said:
I can see it in Fire Emblem's case, but Advance Wars? A few of the maps are like that, but the multiplayer maps are pure strategy.
The multiplayer portion of Famicom Wars was tacked on in the GBA incarnation. The meat of the game is the puzzle-like campaign and extra maps.

However, what the western market was buying was a TBS, so IntSys tried to move that way. Balance of units and maps in general are pretty evident that they don't really know how to make a good TBS game.

But they do make the most awesome puzzle games, though!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Saitou said:
The multiplayer portion of Famicom Wars was tacked on in the GBA incarnation. The meat of the game is the puzzle-like campaign and extra maps.

However, what the western market was buying was a TBS, so IntSys tried to move that way. Balance of units and maps in general are pretty evident that they don't really know how to make a good TBS game.

But they do make the most awesome puzzle games, though!

What? People stop. FE is a SRPG and AW is a TBSG. End of fucking story

Apparently I'm supposed to chuck some bread out a window or something.

PantherLotus said:
Media Create Sales: 5/19 - 5/25

mc-feelings-78.jpg

mc-legs-78.jpg

mc-weekly-pie-78.jpg

mc-weekly-line-78.jpg

This is the Wii:pS3 ratio over the last 6 weeks:
==========
Lifetime: 2.95

mc-marketshare-pie-78.jpg

mc-marketshare-line-78.jpg

Market Share Gains & Losses:
[ ] 360: - 0.02
[ ] PS3: - 0.06
[ ] Wii: + 0.08

If this week repeated forever:
[ ] The Wii would reach 70.00% on 06-08-08 <---2 weeks!
[ ] The PS3 would fall to 23.00% by 08-17-08
[ ] The 360 would fall to 6.00% by 11-23-08

mc-LTD-78.jpg

mc-wii-lead-78.jpg

mc-YOY-weekly-78.jpg

mc-YOY-LTD-78.jpg

Year-on-year tracking
Wii: -146.984
PS3: -26.508

mc-charted-titles-78.jpg

Notes and Next Week's Expectations
Take notes kids. This might be as good as I ever get.

mc-projections-78.jpg

Estimated for last week - Actual = Difference
Wii: 48.0k - 49.0k = -1.0k
PS3: 8.2k - 9.0k = -0.8k
360: 1.5k - 1.9k = -0.4k
==============
Total units off: 2,200 <--- Y HELL OH THAR

Next Week:
Wii: 53.5k
PS3: 8.8k
360: 1.5k

Vinnk

Is this the calm before the storm?

I can't wait until MGS4 weel. No matter waht happens (low or high sales) that thread is going to be epic.

Vinnk said:

I can't wait until MGS4 weel. No matter waht happens (low or high sales) that thread is going to be epic.

It will be like drinking at your regular bar on St. Patrick's day. You'll get a bunch of weekend warriors that pop in, make a snide comment then are never heard from again... well, maybe until FFXIII.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
OldJadedGamer said:
It will be like drinking at your regular bar on St. Patrick's day. You'll get a bunch of weekend warriors that pop in, make a snide comment then are never heard from again... well, maybe until FFXIII.

It will be interesting to say the least.

Vinnk said:

Agreed - it's going to be epic no matter which way it goes. I'm expecting ps3 to outsell the wii during Metal Gear's first and probably second week of its release. After that, wii will be back on top, as I don't expect Metal Gear to be able to carry ps3 for an extended period of time. We'll see, though. Stranger things have happened. Who would've thought that Monster Hunter would single handedly carried psp sales for such a long period of time.

Lightning

Banned
Vinnk said:

The NPD thread MGS4 month will eclipse the MC thread as far as laughs go, no matter what the result. :lol

Tenbatsu

nextgeneration said:
Who would've thought that Monster Hunter would single handedly carried psp sales for such a long period of time.
Who would've thought? You underestimated Monster Hunter my friend.

nextgeneration said:
Agreed - it's going to be epic no matter which way it goes. I'm expecting ps3 to outsell the wii during Metal Gear's first and probably second week of its release. After that, wii will be back on top, as I don't expect Metal Gear to be able to carry ps3 for an extended period of time. We'll see, though. Stranger things have happened. Who would've thought that Monster Hunter would single handedly carried psp sales for such a long period of time.

Metal Gears have never really been that super hot in Japan from what I remember. Will it take the crown of best selling game away from Hot Shots Golf???? Even DMC4 couldn't do that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
OldJadedGamer said:
Metal Gears have never really been that super hot in Japan from what I remember. Will it take the crown of best selling game away from Hot Shots Golf???? Even DMC4 couldn't do that.

lol. DMC isnt even in the same league as Hot Shots in Japan

hirokazu

nextgeneration said:
I expect MGS4 to bring PS3 sales above Wii for 1 week, but Wii would probably be on top again the following week. At least it should knock the Wii's marketshare back under the much coveted 70% mark, which it would've only just attained the week before :p

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Vinnk said:
What do you mean?

Those fools.

Best post of the thread :lol

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
HK-47 said:
What? People stop. FE is a SRPG and AW is a TBSG. End of fucking story
Well he's right - Campaigns in GBA AWs(I haven't seen NDS ones so I can't say there) are 100% puzzle games. Which doesn't take away from fun factor - but it's a kind of a rude surprise for anyone that comes into them expecting strategy.

As for SRPG/TBS distinction - I think it's pretty clear lines are blurry on that. Eg. XCom could be classified as SRPG by most standards applied to classic SRPGs, but I never seen anyone call it that.
In the end it probably doesn't matter - except for when people dismiss a good game due to wrong classification :\

Pachael said:
Referring to my earlier point, I'd be surprised if Sega drops money into big projects anymore, since it does seem that the games that turn out good sell badly and the games that turn out bad sell well (not all the time, but if you whack a license on it, eg. Iron Man, or Hulk...)

Skies 2 is more wishful thinking then anything else by me - I would be, since Skies characters are cameoed in Valkyria.

ex-UGA/NowPro on Riders, well, that's not very inspiring either, but people will buy it for the Sonic brand name (not necessarily in Japan).
Sega basically said in their last financial report that licensed software is the way to go for the western side of things.

SEGA said:
In the console entertainment software division of the consumer business segment, we will work to generate revenue, by selling licensed film titles in overseas markets and significant revision of the line-up strategies in the Japanese market.
At least we have the significant revision for the Japanese market, I guess parts of the Platinum Games deal are included, so that's a good direction I guess.

bmf said:
Nectaris is a turn based strategy game, but the moment that you add cutscenes between battles, character development, and story lines, you cross into SRPG territory...by the Japanese definition.
So lots of the old turn-based strategy games on PC were SRPGs at heart? OK...

I think to be considered an RPG it has to have a role-playing aspect. Sure you play a CO but he/she is not represented on the battlefield and the units are not personalized. As opposed to a game like Langrisser for instance where you too have an army to control but also the generals that lead these armies into war.

dolemite said:
hm, did Haze bump the PS3 number? I don't see any other release.
An increase of 1,3k can hardly considered a "bump". It's statistical noise.

Rock_Man

It's hard to find anything good about the PS3 software sales, but at least it looks like it holds up better against Wii/360 than last May.

famitsu-ps3wiix360-080518.png

More than 40 titles released...

First day sales
NDS Mugen no Frontier: Super Robot Taisen OG Saga - 67.000 (>60% sell through)
PSP Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3 - 60.000 (>60% sell through)

PS2 Da Capo II Plus Situation - 25.000 (70% LE, 30% NE)
PS2 Mana Khemia 2: Ochita Gakuen to Renkinjutsushi Tachi - 20.000 (80% NE, 20% LE)
PSP Clannad - 20.000
PSP Valhalla Knights 2 - 20.000 (exceeds previous one)

40-60% sell through for this titles:
360 Lost Planet Colonies - 10.000
PS3 Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - 10.000
PS2 beatmania II DX 14 GOLD - 10.000

And now the tanking part...
NDS Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness - 10.000 (20% sell through)
WII Family Trainer - 10.000

PS3 Battle Fantasia - 2.000 (20-30% sell through)
360 Battle Fantasia - 1.500 (20-30% sell through)

PS3 Turok - 2.000
360 Overlord - 2.000

PSP Memories Off - Not countable
NDS 13-Sai no Hello Work DS - Not countable
NDS English of the Dead - Not countable

PSP Pawapuro 3 does about 330% last entry numbers. I hope I got everything right...

milanbaros

Member?
Anybody have yearly xbox and xbox360 mediacreate sales?

PSP is selling really well but if part of it has to be the drop off in ds sales. I think I remember the PSP doing 30k+ but nothing looked good when the ds was doing 150k+.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
PSP Pawapuro 3 does about 330% last entry numbers. I hope I got everything right...
Pretty impressive. When was the last one released for the PSP? I think the PSP sales surge is having a real positive effect on software sales; new software just needs to be there!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Infinite Boobs SRW with XS is selling and FM cell phone port plus EotD bomba all as expected.

PSP Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3 - 60.000 (>60% sell through)

Wow. :lol

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
More than 40 titles released...

First day sales
Thanks. Pretty impressive for Pawapuro. Everything else pretty much as expected, will be interesting to see if Wii Family Trainer (that's the one with the mat, right?) will have some casual game style legs but with the balance board already filling the role of "on-the-ground-peripheral" I doubt it.

Too bad about Front Mission and EotD.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Phife Dawg said:
I think to be considered an RPG it has to have a role-playing aspect. Sure you play a CO but he/she is not represented on the battlefield and the units are not personalized. As opposed to a game like Langrisser for instance where you too have an army to control but also the generals that lead these armies into war.
By that definition Heroes Series, Warlords Series, Master Of Magic, Age Of Wonders series, and a milion others all become "SRPGs".
It's easy to see that the two categories have significant overlap, and most of the distinction comes from game platform origins, rather then some arbitrary definition.
If I just go by observing GAF, people that grew up on consoles stick "SRPG" to anything that's turn based and has a tactical element, and people that grew up on PCs (not just IBM PCs) stick "TBS" to the exact same games.

Fafalada said:
By that definition Heroes Series, Warlords Series, Master Of Magic, Age Of Wonders series, and a milion others all become "SRPGs".
It's easy to see that the two categories have significant overlap, and most of the distinction comes from game platform origins, rather then some arbitrary definition.
If I just go by observing GAF, people that grew up on consoles stick "SRPG" to anything that's turn based and has a tactical element, and people that grew up on PCs (not just IBM PCs) stick "TBS" to the exact same games.
Well I grew up on PCs but I would definetly consider the later HoMM games SRPGs for instance.

I didn't want to make a definition for the term SRPG anyways, just countering the point the other guy made about having cutscenes/story + TBS = SRPG. The criteria I posted is the lowest common denominator for SRPGs in my opinion, therefore AW is not an SRPG for me. Langrisser I would consider an SRPG, although it does contain elements of TBS (recruiting troops) but at the heart it's still an RPG.

Anyways, you're of course right when you say both categories overlap. But even so, AW doesn't fit the bill "SRPG" either way you slice it, which was the point I was trying to bring across.

Aeris130 said:
I hope this still gets an english version...
Didn't GG Wii sell equally bad? That still got an english release. Maybe not all hope is lost for you.

Magicpaint said:
Pretty impressive. When was the last one released for the PSP? I think the PSP sales surge is having a real positive effect on software sales; new software just needs to be there!
5th April last year, this year edition was delayed though (it was supposed to come just before Golden Week). Something to note by the way, Pawapuro 2 PSP did 27k first week and 100k LTD. The first one also had good legs (38k first week, 150k LTD).

To put into perspective, since 2003, only the main PS2 entries (11,12,13,14) and the first PS2 Major League sold better than this first day in their first week.

Btw, PSP seemed to handle well its 3 important releases this week, it'll be interesting to see if software pulls hardware up (of course I mean other software than MHP2G).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Phife Dawg said:
The criteria I posted is the lowest common denominator for SRPGs in my opinion, therefore AW is not an SRPG for me.
Oh I totally agree there - I got irritated when people called R-Type Command SRPG as well. It's not so much the label as just the fact that putting an image of classic SRPGs(Disgaea etc.) on a pure tactics game is well... derisive of the said tactics game.
Most(well, those that I played) SRPGs can be won PURELY by leveling up and brute forcing - with using NO strategy gameplay of any kind (this is largely true of HOMM games as well, although 'level up' includes purchasing larger armies).
This is obviously not the case of AW, R-Type, Nectaris or any really tactical games, which is my reason for not liking to lump them under the same label.

nli10

Well, it' looks like the PSP is officially rebounding to become a viable platform for decent game sales, all thanks to MH & Capcom & the new sexier model.

Sony has got to be hoping that colours, slim and 3rd party saviour are all lined up for the PS3 too.

CorwinB

nli10 said:
Well, it' looks like the PSP is officially rebounding to become a viable platform for decent game sales, all thanks to MH & Capcom & the new sexier model.

With 3 titles in Top50, right... That's some officiallity at work, here.

Sony has got to be hoping that colours, slim and 3rd party saviour are all lined up for the PS3 too.

So after a long litany of games that failed one after another (VF5, DMC4, HSG, GT5P...), we are now reduced to "Wait for Slim and new colours !". Cute.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gee whiz I wonder why Family Trainer didn't do so hot? Might it be because no one wants a stupid mat when they already have the Wii Balance Board?

They already knew it was going to be a fucking dumb idea, too, but they released it anyway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Edit: double post. Oh well, I'll add some content...

indie85 said:
Just like PSP has eventually dominated the DS, PS3 will eventually dominate the wii.

Just as the PSP consistently sold 8-15k per week, ... uh... wait...?

indie85

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Just as the PSP consistently sold 8-15k per week, ... uh... wait...?
PSThree, $200, MGS4, FF13, Monster Truck or whatever PS3 versions of PSP games they love over there and it will dominate. Mark my words.

indie85 said:
Just like PSP has eventually dominated the DS, PS3 will eventually dominate the wii.

There's absolutely no evidence to enforce that position. Optimism and wishful thinking do, as of yet, not constitute evidence.

As is GAF tradition....

duhlines.gif

29348752ff1.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
indie85 said:
PSThree, $200, MGS4, FF13, Monster Truck or whatever PS3 versions of PSP games they love over there and it will dominate. Mark my words.

1) Larger franchises than MGS have already launched on the PS3 to no avail. MGS4 will do the standard 280-400k that all the big PS3 games have done, maybe more because of the major effort to push bundles, but it won't hit the 800k that MGS games did on PS2, and it won't move millions of consoles.

2) "Monster Truck" is Wii exclusive on consoles (and not even a big hit on the consoles). They also don't love PSP games, at all. After the "Monster Truck" games, only four games have broken 300k; Crisis Core, Hot Shots Golf, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy Tactics. One of those has already fizzled on the PS3, one is about to launch, FFT is now a handheld franchise, and if there is going to be an FF7 remake I can't imagine it'll be coming any time soon, and certainly not soon enough to reverse a trend that's been locked down in solid steel since day one.

3) $200 isn't going to happen for many many years and the last major price drop for the PS3 had the effect of temporarily boosting sales for a month or two and then having them drop back lower than they were before. Maybe $200 will be enough to give a boost, but that's NEVER happened historically. Did the GameCube sell at $99?

indie85

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
1) Larger franchises than MGS have already launched on the PS3 to no avail. MGS4 will do the standard 280-400k that all the big PS3 games have done, maybe more because of the major effort to push bundles, but it won't hit the 800k that MGS games did on PS2, and it won't move millions of consoles.

2) "Monster Truck" is Wii exclusive on consoles (and not even a big hit on the consoles). They also don't love PSP games, at all. After the "Monster Truck" games, only four games have broken 300k; Crisis Core, Hot Shots Golf, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy Tactics. One of those has already fizzled on the PS3, one is about to launch, FFT is now a handheld franchise, and if there is going to be an FF7 remake I can't imagine it'll be coming any time soon, and certainly not soon enough to reverse a trend that's been locked down in solid steel since day one.

3) $200 isn't going to happen for many many years and the last major price drop for the PS3 had the effect of temporarily boosting sales for a month or two and then having them drop back lower than they were before. Maybe $200 will be enough to give a boost, but that's NEVER happened historically. Did the GameCube sell at $99?
Ok, replace Monster truck with Monster Hunter. Listen, they remake these types of games that are popular on the PSP or make new ones and eventually they'll strike gold, combined with popular old franchises like FF13. PSThree is already in the works (which will be BIG for japan) and $200 may take a few years but hey the PS3 lifespan is 10 years, it has time on its side.

indie85 said:
Ok, replace Monster truck with Monster Hunter. Listen, they remake these types of games that are popular on the PSP or make new ones and eventually they'll strike gold, combined with popular old franchises like FF13. PSThree is already in the works (which will be BIG for japan) and $200 may take a few years but hey the PS3 lifespan is 10 years, it has time on its side.

Well, that's you told Stumpokapow.

I was looking forward to Monster Truck on PS3 as well :(

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
indie85 said:
We're not getting PS3 Monster Truck gamez? Too bad :( Oh well, we have 10 years to get one, so not all hope is lost! Maybe next Easter!

EDIT: beaten :(

indie85 said:
Riiiight, everything goes according to plan.
D:

Top Bottom