• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/19 - 5/25

jarrod

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
And now the tanking part...
NDS Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness - 10.000 (20% sell through)
Eh... retail ordered 50k of FM2089?! The original sold under 20k 1st week? :lol

And I think it might be a bit premature calling FamiTrainer a tanker yet... it may be a long tailer (FamiSki) or it may be a real tanker (FamiStar, FamiJockey) but all these games tend to do little upfront regardless. 10k 1st day isn't too surprising honestly.

Bizzyb

Banned
Does anyone think MGS4 will make any big rumblings in Japan?

I know this is supposed to be one of Sony's Big Pushers but with charts like these I'd be extremely worried if I were Konami of Japan.

indie85

Banned
Nocebo said:
How is the psp dominating the DS? :lol :lol :lol
PSP - 64,449 | 70,536 | 1,819,072
NDS - 37,404 | 34,905 | 1,415,561

Thats how.

Does anyone think MGS4 will make any big rumblings in Japan?

I know this is supposed to be one of Sony's Big Pushers but with charts like these I'd be extremely worried if I were Konami of Japan.
Who cares, it will sell well everywhere else if japan is too busy with wiifit to care about a decent game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jarrod said:
And I think it might be a bit premature calling FamiTrainer a tanker yet... it may be a long tailer (FamiSki) or it may be a real tanker (FamiStar, FamiJockey) but all these games tend to do little upfront regardless. 10k 1st day isn't too surprising honestly.

Namco could have had another Family Ski if they had went with the Balance Board. Would you hitch your star on the back of a rocket or a plank of wood?

indie85 said:
Ok, replace Monster truck with Monster Hunter. Listen, they remake these types of games that are popular on the PSP or make new ones and eventually they'll strike gold

There are no types of games that are popular on the PSP. Only 7 games have broken 300k (pick any other number, really; 300k was just a random one that might be some measure of "popular") -- five of them belong to franchises not coming to the PS3 end of story, one of them belongs to a franchise already on the PS3 and not particularly amazing in terms of sales, and one belongs to MGS which we'll see numbers for in a month.

I don't know what to tell you.

Here are the biggest franchises of the PS2 in a rough order. I'll bold franchises that are going to come to the PS3 but haven't yet:
1) Dragon Quest - Next installment comes to DS, only goes to the current market leader; PS3 does not have a hope of getting an installment.
2) Final Fantasy - On the PS3; won't be out before 2009.
3) Kingdom Hearts - Gone portable, team is working on FFvXIII. Potential PS3 installment would not be before 2013 or so, and is unlikely since audience tilts younger. Better candidate for Wii.
4) Gran Turismo - GT5 won't be before 2009, GT5p undersold GT4p bigtime. Consistent with pattern of PS3 sequels way underselling PS2 prequels.
5) Dynasty Warriors - 1.5 installments on PS3. Did well for PS3, but massive massive massive decline over PS2.
6) Winning Eleven - Already on PS3. Did not sell a notable amount. Konami advertised Wii edition more, seems to be moving towards Wii as top platform.
7) Hot Shots Golf - best-selling game on PS3, still tanked in comparison to PS2.
8) Onimusha - Franchise in decline, none scheduled for any console. Might be entirely dead.

Smaller but still huge franchises--
MGS - MGS4 is about to come out; we'll see how it does.
Gundam - several Gundam games out on PS3, nothing making waves or changing the balance.
Super Robot Wars - none announced for PS3 AFAIK, franchise varies in terms of size.
Tales of - DS is lead platform going on, the only next-gen version announced is for the 360.
Taiko - Only next-gen version announced is for Wii.
Devil May Cry - Here and gone on PS3, meh.
Yakuza - Here and gone on PS3, meh.
Monster Hunter - Wii.
Virtua Fighter - Here and gone on PS3, bommmmmba
Ratchet and Clank - Here and gone on PS3, meh.
Star Ocean - Seems to be multiplatform, none announced though. No info, no release date. 2009/2010?

And saying "new IP sure will make it big" is all well and good, except for the fact that the breakout hit new IP on the PS3 in Japan is Resistance, which sold a whopping 135k. Every other new IP (MotorStorm, Heavenly Sword, Lair, AssCreed, Folklore... and the list goes on) sold fewer than 100k copies.

What you're saying is hypothetically possible, but the mountain of evidence against it happening gets bigger and bigger and the amount of possible chances that Sony has to change that trend get smaller and smaller.

indie85 said:

Thats how.

At the weekly rate, the PSP will pass the DS in mid-2018.
On the annual rate, the PSP will pass the PSP in 2024.

indie85 said:
Who cares, it will sell well everywhere else if japan is too busy with wiifit to care about a decent game.

You're in a Japanese sales thread. Yelling "LOL DUMB JAPANESE PLAY STUPID NONGAME TARDS" is not really convincing. But I'd also argue that while it will sell millions worldwide, it'll probably sell fewer copies than MGS3 which was generally considered to be a disappointment in terms of sales. For a game that locked up 95% of Konami's manpower for several years, that's worrisome. I'm sure at worst it'll be a breakeven project, but that's not a good omen nonetheless.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
indie85 said:

The whole world is busy with Wii Fit.
Apparently Wii Fit shortages are worse than Wii shortages.

Jaruru

indie85 said:

Thats how.

1) how many diff colors/bundles of PSP have been released in 2008, so far?
2) 3 new colors (2 new for JP) will make some waves soon?
3) let's see what Nintendo/Sony do @ E3. *excited*

jarrod

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Namco could have had another Family Ski if they had went with the Balance Board. Would you hitch your star on the back of a rocket or a plank of wood?
I don't think it'd have worked for FamiTrainer, the game needs the DDR-esque pad for directional input. This is really just an Athletic World Famicom sequel anyway, we'll have to see how it does.

FamiJockey and FamiStar were both also legacy sequels though, and they pretty much tanked ultimately (and no BB connection). Still, 10k 1st day isn't bad for a game like this imo.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jocchan said:
Someone would be proud of you.

I don't want to be seen as an apologist for the dearly departed. :lol

In the interests of fuller disclosure:
The PSP has 11 titles between 200k and 300k. Breaking this down for possible PSP->PS3 conversion megahits; SEGA Brain Training (not PS3 bound), Monster Hunter Portable (already counted because of installments >300k), Dynasty Warriors (already counted from PS2), SD Gundam G (already counted from PS2), Ridge Racer (already out on PS3), Hot Shots Golf (already counted >300k), Winning Elven (already counted from PS2), Tales of (already counted from PS2), MGS POP (already counted from >300k). So none of these add anything to the list.

Lowering it to 100k, the only other franchised IP that pops up is: Valkyrie Profile (none announced), Loco Roco (none announced), Ape Escape (none announced), GTA (scheduled for PS3 soon), Ace Combat (X360 exclusive), Tekken (5DR already on PS3), Itadaki Street (none scheduled; rumors of Nintendo buying it or copublishing or something in the future).

PSP software sales are anemic. There are no "breakout PSP hits" other than Monster Hunter. Still, even considering the lukewarm sales of other franchises, there's not a lot there that is being mined for PS3 cross-over.

Vinci

Danish
Stumpokapow said:
For a game that locked up 95% of Konami's manpower for several years, that's worrisome. I'm sure at worst it'll be a breakeven project, but that's not a good omen nonetheless.

Jesus, 95%? Is that accurate or an estimation? I know Konami has been particularly silent for a while, but I can't fathom it putting 95% of its workforce on one project. That's insane.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Vinci said:
Jesus, 95%? Is that accurate or an estimation? I know Konami has been particularly silent for a while, but I can't fathom it putting 95% of its workforce on one project. That's insane.

It was meant to be a hyperbolic estimation, but I'd hazard a serious guess that it's more than 50% in terms of budget and manpower. It's very much a case of many many eggs in one basket. Their output has slowed dramatically since the game has been geared up and in full development.

They've pretty much got outsourced stuff, their PES team, some small C-tier teams (Elebits/Dewy's adventure team, Castlevania team)... and MGS4.

I'm not sure if that was the original intention of the team or not, but it sure is the result. I hope it pays off for them, honestly, because they're good people and a decent company and I can't wait for them to get back to a more robust schedule of content.

Fafalada said:
Oh I totally agree there - I got irritated when people called R-Type Command SRPG as well. It's not so much the label as just the fact that putting an image of classic SRPGs(Disgaea etc.) on a pure tactics game is well... derisive of the said tactics game.
Most(well, those that I played) SRPGs can be won PURELY by leveling up and brute forcing - with using NO strategy gameplay of any kind (this is largely true of HOMM games as well, although 'level up' includes purchasing larger armies).
This is obviously not the case of AW, R-Type, Nectaris or any really tactical games, which is my reason for not liking to lump them under the same label.
That's a good way to differentiate.

Stumpokapow said:
Gee whiz I wonder why Family Trainer didn't do so hot? Might it be because no one wants a stupid mat when they already have the Wii Balance Board?

They already knew it was going to be a fucking dumb idea, too, but they released it anyway.
Yeah I thought so too. They would've better been off with a game that supported the balance board.

Stumpokapow said:
6) Winning Eleven - Already on PS3. Did not sell a notable amount. Konami advertised Wii edition more, seems to be moving towards Wii as top platform.
Tales of - DS is lead platform going on, the only next-gen version announced is for the 360.
Uhm if WE PS3 did not sell a notable amount, then how would you judge the game's performance on Wii? There are reasons for it to do poorly of course (launching after all other versions etc.), still doesn't take away the fact that PS3 has seen more of a migration of the fanbase than Wii. Once PS2 support gets dropped completely and the versions get released on (at least roughly) the same date we can get more of an idea.

And I think those ads were Nintendo-sponsored, they got an "Iwata asks" episode as well iirc.

I don't think Wii will be the top plattform. PES Wii is awesome and they seem to be really serious about it and have seen great success in Europe but I see no indications of Wii being the top plattform. It missed some features and the gfx were not really indicative of a big effort.

Isn't there a Wii Tales of coming, or is that considered a spin-off and thus not mentioned? I have no idea, I don't like JRPGs all that much tbh.

Oh and that indie guy has to be a joke character...I hope.

Vinci said:
I wouldn't put a number down and think 95% is rather high but watching the vids you can see how much work has been poured into things that only scratch the surface of the full product.

MGS4 will sell very well. You're forgetting about the bundles and the lower competition from other games. Sony have probably bought a million copies already.

Konami will make a nice profit.

Vinci

Danish
Phife Dawg said:
PES Wii is awesome and they seem to be really serious about it and have seen great success in Europe but I see no indications of Wii being the top plattform. It missed some features and the gfx were not really indicative of a big effort.

You're right about it missing features, but I honestly couldn't care whilst I was playing the greatest sports video game of all time. Graphics and extra features? They're icing on a cake that is already, like, the greatest cake ever. Like cheesecake or something. As far as I'm concerned, the Wii is the top platform for the game because it's truly the best of the lot in that franchise.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Phife Dawg said:
Uhm if WE PS3 did not sell a notable amount, then how would you judge the game's performance on Wii? There are reasons for it to do poorly of course (launching after all other versions etc.), still doesn't take away the fact that PS3 has seen more of a migration of the fanbase than Wii. Once PS2 support gets dropped completely and the versions get released on (at least roughly) the same date we can get more of an idea.

PS3 did sell okay as far as this years crop of WE goes, but it's still a steep decline from franchise highs. PE Wii did not do well relative to the franchise highs by any means, but does represent an increase over previous Nintendo installments, especially given that it was released long after the PS2/3 versions.

I'd say it'll probably be pretty close to a 50/50 split. The reason why I worded it the way I did was because we're speaking in the context of the franchise being able to lift up the PS3, which clearly is not going to happen.

WRT the Wii version, the reason why I say there might be a shift is the fact that Konami actually dedicated a team to doing the Wii version and did something more than a simple port. I'd say it'll be another year or two before we can tell which is the lead SKU for sure. At least this year will be a day-and-date release which gives us a better ground for comparison.

And I think those ads were Nintendo-sponsored, they got an "Iwata asks" episode as well iirc.

Yep. Little known fact: Nintendo actually moneyhatted ads for Madden GameCube. That didn't work out too well. :lol

Isn't there a Wii Tales of coming, or is that considered a spin-off and thus not mentioned? I have no idea, I don't like JRPGs all that much tbh.

There is a Wii Tales coming. It's sort of half-way between a spin-off and a sequel in terms of prominence. I didn't mention it because I'm at work and I don't have a copy of the graph that shows the "secondary systems" for the franchise; basically, DS lead, Wii and PSP get some, no one else gets anything. I know that sounds funny given that 360 has ToV, but that's Namco for you.

Cool Hand Luke said:
MGS4 will sell very well. You're forgetting about the bundles and the lower competition from other games. Sony have probably bought a million copies already.

I'm not forgetting about anything. I've already said it'll sell well for the PS3 in Japan (probably becoming the best-selling title temporarily), and several million worldwide. I just don't think it'll stand up to MGS2, and given that MGS3 cost a lot less than MGS4 and is considered a bit of a sales disappointment, MGS4 has some real lofty footsteps to follow in in terms of financials.

Durante

That old Tales graph is pretty worthless considering that It's obvious to everyone what the next big entry in the series is, and what platform(s eventually?) it will be on.

jay

indie85 said:
Just like PSP has eventually dominated the DS, PS3 will eventually dominate the wii.

So they PS3 will continue losing for a few years, then pull ahead (in sales since the beginning of a year, not lifetime sales) only in this one territory long after it matters much? Besides for one or two key PS3 games, Wii software will continue to fill the sales charts? I think it's time to sell my Nintendo stock!

farnham

Banned
Cool Hand Luke said:

doubt MGS4 will sell over 1 million copies in japan

really doubt it...

jarrod

Banned
Durante said:
That old Tales graph is pretty worthless considering that It's obvious to everyone what the next big entry in the series is, and what platform(s eventually?) it will be on.
Vesperia 360 and a new DS installment. Wii semi-spinoff, nothing for the PlayStations.

kswiston

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not forgetting about anything. I've already said it'll sell well for the PS3 in Japan (probably becoming the best-selling title temporarily), and several million worldwide. I just don't think it'll stand up to MGS2, and given that MGS3 cost a lot less than MGS4 and is considered a bit of a sales disappointment, MGS4 has some real lofty footsteps to follow in in terms of financials.

I don't think that MGS4 will sell as well as the first two installments of the series worldwide, but I am confident that it will outsell MGS3 (worldwide). If Sony is smart, they will keep the 80GB bundle available until at least Christmas in both North America and Europe. If they do that, I could see bundle sales reaching 3-5M between the two territories (depending on how many 80GB units will be made available for the duration of the bundle. Motorstorm sold over 2M copies, largely because of the bundle. I think MGS4 will do even better.

Discounting bundles, I think MGS4 will sell 3-4M copies worldwide. Devil May Cry 4 has shipped 2M copies so far, and Metal Gear Solid is the bigger property in all three territories.

At the absolute worst, I see:

Japan - 350k
North America - 1.1M (1M US, 100k Canada)
Europe/Pal - 1.5M

Not counting bundles.

RBH

indie85 said:
Just like PSP has eventually dominated the DS, PS3 will eventually dominate the wii.
indie85 said:
PSThree, $200, MGS4, FF13, Monster Truck or whatever PS3 versions of PSP games they love over there and it will dominate. Mark my words.
indie85 said:
Ok, replace Monster truck with Monster Hunter. Listen, they remake these types of games that are popular on the PSP or make new ones and eventually they'll strike gold, combined with popular old franchises like FF13. PSThree is already in the works (which will be BIG for japan) and $200 may take a few years but hey the PS3 lifespan is 10 years, it has time on its side.
delusions.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
kswiston said:
I don't think that MGS4 will sell as well as the first two installments of the series worldwide, but I am confident that it will outsell MGS3 (worldwide). If Sony is smart, they will keep the 80GB bundle available until at least Christmas in both North America and Europe. If they do that, I could see bundle sales reaching 3-5M between the two territories (depending on how many 80GB units will be made available for the duration of the bundle. Motorstorm sold over 2M copies, largely because of the bundle. I think MGS4 will do even better.

Yeah, let me quid pro quo what I said earlier; if Sony runs the MGS bundle like the MotorStorm bundle (as an ongoing feature), then it's a no brainer that the game will probably keep on keeping on. All that's been announced so far is a bundle like the limited HSG5 one, albeit in larger quantities.

At the absolute worst, I see:
Japan - 350k
North America - 1.1M (1M US, 100k Canada)
Europe/Pal - 1.5M

Not counting bundles.

I think these are fair worst-case scenarios. Really our disagreement here is on our interpretation of the bundle's scope.

Do we have an ancient, automatic, out-of-control bot that brings joke characters to the thread if the post count doesn't meet certain numbers? This is positive thinking.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Do we have an ancient, automatic, out-of-control bot that brings joke characters to the thread if the post count doesn't meet certain numbers? This is positive thinking.
Since they all seem to be posting the same stuff every time, I think you're right.

Opiate

I would be amazed if MGS4 was bundled for 6+ months. The fact that it's a third party game makes the financials involved in bundling much messier and less profitable for Sony.

I'm certain Konami/Sony have worked out a deal of some kind, but in all likelihood each game they bundle in costs Sony a substantial amount of money. It isn't like, say, Motorstorm, which costs Sony .15 cents to press the disc or what have you.

Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...

PS3 comparisons: After 80 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 17.8 weeks (June 30, 2000), where PSP was at 49.7 weeks (November 18, 2005), where GCN was at 72.8 weeks (January 31, 2003), and where Wii was at 19.5 weeks (April 11, 2007).

It's worth noting that 6,949 for PS3 the week of May 12 in Famitsu is a new low. PS2's 5,741 is a new modern low, but it had one lower week during late 2000's crazy shortages.

Wii comparisons: After 77 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 79.8 weeks (September 27, 2002), where DS was at 65.8 weeks (March 3, 2006), where PS2 was at 94.8 weeks (December 21, 2001), and where PSP was at 145.4 weeks (September 18, 2007).

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 36.7 / 63.3, bringing total shares to 70.6 / 29.4. At this week's rates, PSP catches up to DS in 486.9 weeks (September 24, 2017). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 204.3 weeks (April 25, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 15.6 / 84.4, almost identical to last week. This brings total shares to 25.3 / 74.7. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 443.8 weeks (November 26, 2016).

Vinci said:
You're right about it missing features, but I honestly couldn't care whilst I was playing the greatest sports video game of all time. Graphics and extra features? They're icing on a cake that is already, like, the greatest cake ever. Like cheesecake or something. As far as I'm concerned, the Wii is the top platform for the game because it's truly the best of the lot in that franchise.
We weren't discussing the awesomness of the game, I used those examples as an indicator of why I don't think Wii will be the top plattform for PES (as in highest priority) in the short run.

Stumpokapow said:
PS3 did sell okay as far as this years crop of WE goes, but it's still a steep decline from franchise highs. PE Wii did not do well relative to the franchise highs by any means, but does represent an increase over previous Nintendo installments, especially given that it was released long after the PS2/3 versions.

I'd say it'll probably be pretty close to a 50/50 split. The reason why I worded it the way I did was because we're speaking in the context of the franchise being able to lift up the PS3, which clearly is not going to happen.

WRT the Wii version, the reason why I say there might be a shift is the fact that Konami actually dedicated a team to doing the Wii version and did something more than a simple port. I'd say it'll be another year or two before we can tell which is the lead SKU for sure. At least this year will be a day-and-date release which gives us a better ground for comparison.
OK. I don't rule it out for the far away future but I don't see it in the cards as long as the PS2 version sells the most.

Yep. Little known fact: Nintendo actually moneyhatted ads for Madden GameCube. That didn't work out too well. :lol
True story? What a waste of money :lol .

There is a Wii Tales coming. It's sort of half-way between a spin-off and a sequel in terms of prominence. I didn't mention it because I'm at work and I don't have a copy of the graph that shows the "secondary systems" for the franchise; basically, DS lead, Wii and PSP get some, no one else gets anything. I know that sounds funny given that 360 has ToV, but that's Namco for you.
I see, thanks for the clarification.

Gaborn

JoshuaJSlone said:

PS3 comparisons: After 80 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 17.8 weeks (June 30, 2000), where PSP was at 49.7 weeks (November 18, 2005), where GCN was at 72.8 weeks (January 31, 2003), and where Wii was at 19.5 weeks (April 11, 2007).

It's worth noting that 6,949 for PS3 the week of May 12 in Famitsu is a new low. PS2's 5,741 is a new modern low, but it had one lower week during late 2000's crazy shortages.

Wii comparisons: After 77 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 79.8 weeks (September 27, 2002), where DS was at 65.8 weeks (March 3, 2006), where PS2 was at 94.8 weeks (December 21, 2001), and where PSP was at 145.4 weeks (September 18, 2007).

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 36.7 / 63.3, bringing total shares to 70.6 / 29.4. At this week's rates, PSP catches up to DS in 486.9 weeks (September 24, 2017). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 204.3 weeks (April 25, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 15.6 / 84.4, almost identical to last week. This brings total shares to 25.3 / 74.7. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 443.8 weeks (November 26, 2016).

I LOVE these. I still wish we could adjust the head to head comparisons to different time scales though (for example comparing PS3 to Wii after one year on the market)

Jaruru

JoshuaJSlone said:

nice comparison. ppl need to read this before saying PS3/PSP are dominatING... ... ...

sphinx

the piano man
JoshuaJSlone said:
If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 443.8 weeks (November 26, 2016).

so according to this week, even if the PS3 lasted its promised 10 year life span it would be uncertain if it could beat the wii, even if it (wii) disappeared from earth this very instant :O .

Amazing and kind of sad at the same time.

revenge of the gamecube indeed.

Cool Hand Luke said:

How much you mean for "sell very well" on a 2mln userbase ?

MGS2 and MGS3 sold around 800k on PS2, which had a "little" smaller userbase....

sphinx

the piano man
Moor-Angol said:
MGS2 and MGS3 sold around 800k on PS2, which had a "little" smaller userbase....

I don't have th exact numbers but Minna no Golf 5is the highest selling game which didn't break the 400k barrier, am I right?

MGS4 may sell something around that....

which in my opinion would be a sales disaster, sorry...

Durante

jarrod said:
Vesperia 360 and a new DS installment. Wii semi-spinoff, nothing for the PlayStations.
Exactly. The next main Tales game is on 360, and that system wasn't even on the graph. So one shouldn't place too much trust in that slide.

Spiegel

Magicpaint said:
Pretty impressive. When was the last one released for the PSP? I think the PSP sales surge is having a real positive effect on software sales; new software just needs to be there!

Yep

indie85 said:
PSThree, $200, MGS4, FF13, Monster Truck or whatever PS3 versions of PSP games they love over there and it will dominate. Mark my words.

as the confused ramblings of someone with no understanding of sales-age?

Done.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Magicpaint said:
Pretty impressive. When was the last one released for the PSP? I think the PSP sales surge is having a real positive effect on software sales; new software just needs to be there!
I'm pretty sure this has more to do with the franchise fanbase moving to the portables in general. The "main versions" on PS2/Wii have sucked for a couple years, with most of the veteran Pawapuro devs moving on to either the handheld versions or the PYS team. The Pawapuro fanbase is pretty vocal and savvy, and will go to wherever the gameplay is, so it's not that big of a surprise really.

That's more likely the bigger factor, not-so-much the recent hardware sales surge. Though I'm sure that had at least a little bit of an impact, it would be foolish to contribute that as the major reason for the sales bump.

In any case, GO PAWAPURO! :D :D :D

test_account

XP-39C²
Jaruru said:
nice comparison. ppl need to read this before saying PS3/PSP are dominatING... ... ...
I dont think anyone here says that PS3 is dominating in Japan. When it comes to the PSP it depends on how you define "dominating", LTD or weekly/monthly sales. When it comes to LTD sales the DS is dominating. When it comes to the recent months of sales then PSP are dominating (or atleast outselling the DS :p).

test_account said:
I dont think anyone here says that PS3 is dominating in Japan. When it comes to the PSP it depends on how you define "dominating", LTD or weekly/monthly sales. When it comes to LTD sales the DS is dominating. When it comes to the recent months of sales then PSP are dominating (or atleast outselling the DS :p).

Personally, I define dominating as equal or disproportionately large distribution of hardware and software.

Because of this, this makes statements like "The PS2 circa 2005/DS are dominating" relevant, and "The PSP is dominating" absolutely ludicrous.

Linkup

NDS Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness - 10.000 (20% sell through)

Should match and maybe surpass the first one's first week numbers. Really enjoyed the past FM games, but I don't know if they'll find a home on DS or just die out.

test_account

XP-39C²
DeaconKnowledge said:
Personally, I define dominating as equal or disproportionately large distribution of hardware and software.

Because of this, this makes statements like "The PS2 circa 2005/DS are dominating" relevant, and "The PSP is dominating" absolutely ludicrous.
I agree to that, if you look at the whole picture of hardware and software, DS is the true winner maybe almost every week, no doubt about that. But in this case Jaruru commented on JoshuaJSlone's hardware comparisons so i assumed that he was talking about the hardware sales only when he mentioned dominating.

test_account said:
I agree to that, if you look at the whole picture of hardware and software, DS is the true winner maybe almost every week, no doubt about that. But in this case Jaruru commented on JoshuaJSlone's hardware comparisons so i assumed that he was talking about the hardware sales only when he mentioned dominating.

Well in that case, I wouldn't consider "The PSP is currently dominating hardware" disingenuous. But to imply that it's taken over the market with 3 games in the top 50 is quite the misnomer.

Gaborn

test_account said:

Sure, but I think that when you're looking at Joshua's chart's you're seeing that sales don't exist in a vacuum. You're not seeing two simultaneously released consoles, you're seeing two consoles, one of whom has in two years crushed the PS2's LTD, and another that is getting a boost NOW, 13 million units behind. It's equivalent to arguing the PS3 is the new king of Japan compared to the PS2 (if the Wii/DS/PSP didn't exist) because it's selling better than the PS2 TODAY. When a more relevant measure is what it's doing relative to the PS2 or other consoles at a similar point in their lifecycles. And the same is true of the PSP. Is it selling well now? Ok, sure, but it's still not dominant for this time in it's lifecycle.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Linkup said:
Should match and maybe surpass the first one's first week numbers. Really enjoyed the past FM games, but I don't know if they'll find a home on DS or just die out.

Just die out, probably. People seem to be more interesting in fantasy-land mechs than near-future dystopian mechs and it's not as though slow-paced technical SRPGs are really a 'set the charts on fire' genre anyway.

This game in particular is just a mobile phone port, so there's no love lost in my opinion if it tanks.

I've only played the first Front Mission (via DS) and frankly I wasn't too impressed. Seems like once you acquire missiles and the ability to target body parts you become damn near unstoppable.

Did the Front Mission games get harder as they progressed?

Top Bottom