• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2013 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

It's an MMO on a Nintendo system? Wouldn't that be a recipe for definitely less sales? :p
Didn't seem to matter on Wii, where suscrption based online games sold the most by far (MH3 1.1m, DQX 650k).

DQX did do quite a bit less than I expected at retail, but the game was half price on the eShop and being a MMORPG I think digital sales are a bigger factor than most games. If we'd only gotten retail sales for PSO2 Vita that would've looked like a failure as well.

Who expected it last week? And that said, did anyone expect it this week? I haven't seen such a prediction, but then I haven't spent much time at the sales threads. 10k last week would've been a very bold prediction, 10k this week would've been blatant idiocy.

Probably referring to me. I actually expected it below 15K last week, but that was before the SS bump, which I completely underestimated.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Holy crap, Luigi.

3D Mario legs are a reality.

Actually, technically...it had a better second week than 3D Mario titles for two reasons: it did more than first Galaxy and 3D Land and on par with Galaxy 2 second week, despite having a worse debut than Galaxy 2 and 3D Land, and it's debut week was 5 days, not 4 as most of releases in Japan.

Kid Ying

Didn't seem to matter on Wii, where suscrption based online games sold the most by far (MH3 1.1m, DQX 650k).

DQX did do quite a bit less than I expected at retail, but the game was half price on the eShop and being a MMORPG I think digital sales are a bigger factor than most games. If we'd only gotten retail sales for PSO2 Vita that would've looked like a failure as well.
The game is half-price at the eshop? I don't remember seeing this. Will get it if it's real.

extralite

The GC was an utter failure in a whole host of regards - the one place where it didn't fail was in crippling Nintendo's bottom line.

And I never claimed that either. I just think that's thanks to software sales, from both GC and GBA. Isolated the GC hardware itself likely was sold at a loss. But since neither you or me have definite proof for our claims we will never know.

It is true though that the Wii was priced extremely conservatively and I think that is because the GC brought the usual model used by Nintendo to its limit. It was too much of a risk to develope another fully new architecture and gamble on being able to sell it at cost. Instead they slightly beefed up the old hardware and raised the price and kept it high. This change in strategy does have a cause and it was poor GC performance, imo.

It is also the source for their current problems with Wii U. Both price and architecture could have used the old pre-Wii approach.

Top Bottom