• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2017 (Apr 03 - Apr 09)

Eh. I think Splatoon 2 was always going to get bigger pre order numbers than DQXI. But I think DQXI (combined total across the 3 systems) will outsell it.

Splatoon 2 will still finish up around 3+ million LTD.

Why would it get bigger pre orders? The 3DS version will sell more first week than there are switches on the market. It's a bigger franchise by far and is known for big opening weeks.

DQ11 outselling it across all versions is hardly a prediction, it's a guarantee. DQ11 will end up one of the best selling games of all time with 5+ million across all 3 versions.

Takao

Banned
Also...no one who wants to talk about New Hot Shots Golf for PS4? We finally have a release date (August 31st) :p

SIE really should be ashamed. It's taken them six years to put that out and visually it looks comparable to an indie project. The art direction has taken a huge dive from every prior release.

Why would it get bigger pre orders? The 3DS version will sell more first week than there are switches on the market. It's a bigger franchise by far and is known for big opening weeks.

DQ11 outselling it across all versions is hardly a prediction, it's a guarantee. DQ11 will end up one of the best selling games of all time with 5+ million across all 3 versions.

When you say the 3ds version will sell more first week than there are switches on the market, well if you mean than there are now then yeah it will but if you mean by that point in time then i wouldnt be so certain

When you say the 3ds version will sell more first week than there are switches on the market, well if you mean than there are now then yeah it will but if you mean by that point in time then i wouldnt be so certain

Yeah that is true but it doesn't really change the point I was making. Unless splatoon sells close to a 100% attach rate opening week it won't come close to the 3DS version of DQ11. Even to match the PS4 version it will need an insane attach rate opening week.

I think despite the early hype DQ11 will end up miles ahead in terms of pre orders and opening week sales. That's not an insult to splatoon 2. It'll have a big opening week and lifetime will join he big players in the Japanese market (3 million+).

Ōkami

Best selling game on PSN this week was the Beyond/Heavy Rain compilation, its on sale but not a good deal.

Probably not a very good week.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Dragon Quest XI selling 5m+ looks more crazy than Splatoon selling 4m+.

Dragon Quest XI selling 5m+ looks more crazy than Splatoon selling 4m+.

What do you see the platform split being for DQXI? Given that DQIX sold roughly 4m units on the DS, I'm anticipating DQXI being in that general ballpark, especially now that it'll be on 3 different systems, with a huge potential for double dippers.

KtSlime

What do you see the platform split being for DQXI? Given that DQIX sold roughly 4m units on the DS, I'm anticipating DQXI being in that general ballpark, especially now that it'll be on 3 different systems, with a huge potential for double dippers.

I think a number of people are under the impression that DQ9 sold in spite of being on the DS, not because it was on DS.

Mory Dunz

Hm, if DQ Switch manages it make at Holiday 2017 (is that the expected release for now?), which will have a higher LTD, PS4 or Switch?

I think a number of people are under the impression that DQ9 sold inspire of being on the DS, not because it was DS.

Really? I always thought the move to the DS allowed it to sell as well as it did.

Hm, if DQ Switch manages it make at Holiday 2017 (is that the expected release for now?), which will have a higher LTD, PS4 or Switch?

I think that all depends on when the release date for the Switch version is announced. If it's before the 3DS/PS4 launch or shortly after, then some people may hold off (at least with the PS4 version) and get it on the Switch. However, if they wait too long then I think the PS4 version would have the higher LTD.

nordique

Splatoon 2 will still finish up around 3+ million LTD.

!!

Whoa. I gathered from these threads Splatoon is big in Japan, but this big?? I guess I really under appreciate just how big it is there.

I mean, no way did I think when the original Splatoon was first announced that it would be compared with a multiplatform Dragon Quest mainline game in terms of which series would sell more o_O

!!

Whoa. I gathered from these threads Splatoon is big in Japan, but this big?? I guess I really under appreciate just how big it is there.

I mean, no way did I think when the original Splatoon was first announced that it would be compared with a multiplatform Dragon Quest mainline game in terms of which series would sell more o_O
Splatoon did 1.7 million on the Wii U, which only sold a bit over 3 million.

Mory Dunz

I think that all depends on when the release date for the Switch version is announced. If it's before the 3DS/PS4 launch or shortly after, then some people may hold off (at least with the PS4 version) and get it on the Switch. However, if they wait too long then I think the PS4 version would have the higher LTD.

True, I'm leaning PS4 atm

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If speculation for Switch version that is coming out at winter alongside Asian version is true that's what I see as rough estimates:

3DS 3m-
PS4 1m+
NSW 0,5m+

Combined close to 4,5m LTD because of double or even triple dippers but not higher than that.

Kandinsky

Guys chill, I got this

DQ11 > MH5 >>> Splatoon 2 > FFXV > FF7R > KH3 > Persona 5

The real loser here will be ARMS poor thing wont even sell 150k ltd

If speculation for Switch version that is coming out at winter alongside Asian version is true that's what I see as rough estimates:

3DS 3m-
PS4 1m+
NSW 0,5m+

Combined close to 4,5m LTD because of double or even triple dippers but not higher than that.

If you're predicting 4.5 million then 5 million doesn't sound that crazy. I'm thinking 3-3.2 million for the 3DS, around 1.3 million for the PS4 and the switch version to sell around 6-700K for around 5 million. Maybe falling a little short. That might be optimistic but hardly crazy.

I actually think 3-4 million for splatoon is possible. It's hard to remember a more hyped release and it feels destined to blow up monster hunter style. Even the wii U couldn't stop it selling almost 2 million. I honestly think it could potentially end up the best selling switch game.

LordKano

Guys chill, I got this

DQ11 > MH5 >>> Splatoon 2 > FFXV > FF7R > KH3 > Persona 5

The real loser here will be ARMS poor thing wont even sell 150k ltd

I'm pretty sure it will do better than that. The thing has more appeal than just being a fighter game

Sage00

Once And Future Member
SIE really should be ashamed. It's taken them six years to put that out and visually it looks comparable to an indie project. The art direction has taken a huge dive from every prior release.
Clap Hanz seem to have been constantly in a state of hiring for the past 5 years. I don't want to make too many assumptions because maybe it's a fantastic place to work if you love golf (staff get access to some of Japan's most exclusive golf clubs), but if you had otherwise any sort of ambition why would you join there and be stuck making the same game on loop with an ever decreasing budget and probably high stuff turnover? SIE Japan looks to have trouble managing their studios to nurture talent unlike their American and European equivalents.

If you're predicting 4.5 million then 5 million doesn't sound that crazy. I'm thinking 3-3.2 million for the 3DS, around 1.3 million for the PS4 and the switch version to sell around 6-700K for around 5 million. Maybe falling a little short. That might be optimistic but hardly crazy.

I actually think 3-4 million for splatoon is possible. It's hard to remember a more hyped release and it feels destined to blow up monster hunter style. Even the wii U couldn't stop it selling almost 2 million. I honestly think it could potentially end up the best selling switch game.

It's certainly possible. The only games that I can see challenging it are potential MH, Pokemon and AC releases. And even then, we still don't know what the ceiling is for Splatoon 2 because the Wii U limited the original's potential a lot. If the Switch sells closer to 3DS level, there's no telling how much Splatoon 2 could benefit (3m+ seems likely though).

KtSlime

Really? I always thought the move to the DS allowed it to sell as well as it did.

Many people especially in here are aware of why 9 on DS was a great choice, but some people hold the opinion that being graphically inferior to 8 means it wasn't a real DQ and held it back.

I just cant see it selling well at all, motion controls are so 2006 D:

I think they are still relivant in Japan.

Many people especially in here are aware of why 9 on DS was a great choice, but some people hold the opinion that being graphically inferior to 8 means it wasn't a real DQ and held it back.

Since when has DQ been know for its graphics? One game on the PS2 and all of the sudden people think that's what the franchise is. Like saying it's not a real Metroid game unless it's first-person.

I think you're coming up with a narrative which simply doesn't exist. I've rarely if ever seen that sentiment posted on here or elsewhere and I've seen few people doubt that the DS was a large part of DQIX's success.

I have seen a lot of people suggest that MH has been held back by not getting a HD version but I can't really remember reading anything like that about DQ.

I still don't quite understand why it's taken Clap Hanz 6 years to put this out (I suppose 5 years if you count the PS3 port of their previous game taking up some of their time).

They had an incredibly strong output throughout the 6th and 7th gen and following that their output just seems to have fallen off a cliff.

I know this new game is being more ambitious with big environments and stuff, but it's not worlds apart than the open-world they took with Hot Shots Tennis: Get a Grip!

And considering the sales potential of the IP is inherently handicapped in Japan by PS4's userbase (and lack of casual-friendly software), I'm surprised Sony continued bankrolling it for so long.

Branduil

Wow the ARMS predictions keep getting lower LOL. We're getting close to people predicting Wonderful 101 levels of bomba again.

KtSlime

Since when has DQ been know for its graphics? One game on the PS2 and all of the sudden people think that's what the franchise is. Like saying it's not a real Metroid game unless it's first-person.

No, except to some people who's entry into the series is PS2.

I think you're coming up with a narrative which simply doesn't exist. I've rarely if ever seen that sentiment posted on here or elsewhere and I've seen few people doubt that the DS was a large part of DQIX's success.

I have seen a lot of people suggest that MH has been held back by not getting a HD version but I can't really remember reading anything like that about DQ.

Back in late 2006, early 2007 when it was first announced for DS there were a few who thought SE was making a giant mistake, quitting the series, etc, but I don't believe any of them come anywhere near this thread.

Haha still remember that squid legs image posted. Lots of crow was eaten that day.

reading last pages It seems that now we should prepare for something like that :

_73218356_73218355.jpg

L~A

Nintendo hosting an ARMS tournement at Nico Nico Choukaigi next week-end, exhibition matches with eSports players too.

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/ea6e9a1c-20ac-11e7-8f53-063b7ac45a6d.html

By the way, Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 is getting a dual-pack with DGS1 (Best Price! version) and 2 + soundtrack CD. No idea if it'll be tracked, though.

Here you go. Not much has changed though. Puyo Puyo Tetris for Switch easily became the second best selling version. I don't think it has much of a shot catching up the 100K of the 3DS version though.

3DS Puyo Puyo Tetris 42.096 104.044 SEGA 2/6/2014
SWI Puyo Puyo Tetris S 12.866 29.359 SEGA 3/3/2017
PS3 Puyo Puyo Tetris 11.863 24.570 SEGA 2/6/2014
PSV Puyo Puyo Tetris 9.739 14.745 SEGA 2/6/2014
WIU Puyo Puyo Tetris 5.232 8.673 SEGA 2/6/2014

Really wasn't expecting this one to have any sort of legs, but I guess I shouldn't underestimate launch titles (well, except I am Setsuna and Disgaea 5 :p)

Not related to your quote, but do we know anything about Snack World Anime? It's already on air? Was supposed to come out on April. If it is, do we know how is rated?

Debuted on April 13th, timeslot is right after Pokémon (7.25PM), same channel (TV Tokyo). Was really surprised by the animation, I'm not too fond of 3DCG in general, but this was really great. Well, the pilot movie actually makes up a fair bit of the episode, so you can watch that to see what to expect.

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/snack-world/

It aired its first episode on the 13th (same day as the Nintendo direct). I watched it for about 10mins and didn't like it much.

There didn't seem to be too much talk about it on social media, nor did it seem to help game preorders very much since it isn't even in the top 75 on Amazon. It is a game targeted at young children, however, so we probably won't actually get a feel for how popular it will be until the game releases. Merchandise for the series doesn't go on sale until the game does in July as well.

You can check the top 10 anime viewership ratings every week (Kantou area only) here: http://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm

Snack World is targeted at kids and is in a good time slot -Pokemon starts straight after this is finished on the same channels- so it should appear on the charts next week. Should help since it's its first episode too.

Unless I missed something, pre-orders for The Snack World began last week, so there's not much the anime could have helped with for now.

Wonder if Splatoon 2 will be like 1, in which content came over months.

cause unlike Wii U, Nintendo seems to be like "These certain games are coming out year one come hell or high water."

Which is smart imo. Get ARMS, Splatoon, Pokemon*, Smash*, MK, and Mario out ASAP, even if they're not sequels.

They already confirmed content would be rolled out gradually, like they did in Splatoon 1. But I don't think it's due to them rushing out the game or anything (first wave of content will be on the cartridge).

Like Wii U, she sees the possibilitty for Splatoon 2 bundle, time will show if it happens later.

I don't think there's any doubt Splatoon 2 is getting a bundle, it's the first true system-seller after all.

Splatoon 2 > DQXI PS4
on Comg already. It's catching the 3DS version too...

Comg is gonna end up with more pre-orders than whatever Nintendo will allocate to them again, right.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Namco has announced Code Vein. It's a UE4 console action RPG that sounds a lot like anime Dark Souls with a heavier plot focus, is made for a "worldwide audience", and is targeting a 2018 release.

The head staff for God Eater is overseeing the project, though there's no word on Shift developing it.

I think this may be one of the few times Namco has run into an issue and at least tried not to commit complete corporate negligence in terms of doing nothing about it.

Datschge

I'm surprised Sony continued bankrolling it for so long.
Clap Hanz is actually independent, though that does make the lack of releases even more surprising. Guess similarly to Camelot at the end of the GC/GBA era Clap Hanz had some major staff turnover in the last couple years with a resulting increase in development time.

Clap Hanz is actually independent, though that does make the lack of releases even more surprising. Guess similarly to Camelot at the end of the GC/GBA era Clap Hanz had some major staff turnover in the last couple years with a resulting increase in development time.

Yes, but Sony are the publisher and presumably financing the game.

I think this may be one of the few times Namco has run into an issue and at least tried not to commit complete corporate negligence in terms of doing nothing about it.

Huh?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Namco usually responds to declining sales, untapped growth potential, series that show promise but need a big budget sequel to retain their audience, or losing a development partner to another publisher by kind of shrugging their shoulders and spending less money.

This time, instead of just sitting there, they're actually attempting to make a game to retain some of the Souls audience they will lose if From Software goes into worldwide self publishing post acquisition.

Gotta wonder if any crossover/trade in employees have happened between the two. Clap Hanz was of course born from Camelot.

Despite their somewhat lackluster output in recent years, Camelot seems nearly completely intact from the GC/GBA era in employees, going by my analysis of the credits from recent games.

Top Bottom