• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2012 (Oct 29 - Nov 04)

jimmypython

MH4 and DQVII early spring for 3DS right?

yeah and the Vita's already got these covered: Soul Sacrifice vs MH4 (MH type); Tales of Hearts R vs DQ7 (full 3D remake)

lol

Ironically both handheld MH and DQ7 are what helped PS consoles dominating the chart before....

joking aside, those two Vita titles do look very good.

tuffy

No doubt Bravely Default is on its way to getting the franchise treatment with sequels and merchandise. I see lots of pretty character designs in its future.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
3DS' boost because MH bundle and AC. Next week will be steamrolling galore. I actually think it could easily reach 150k +

Vita:
3973852_o.gif

Are tales games always like a 100 bucks?

Always though they were b tier jrpgs... But I guess a tier ones on consoles are pretty much extinct.

Does it have bullshit dlc items?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This is also a new Vita low for Famitsu.

I honsetly think that, up to now, the still existing positive toughts for a reliable Vita relaunch could be justified only because of past Sony's strong turning point (with PS3 and PSP).
Just to clarify: me too I think that it's still possible to relaunch the system (at least in japan)

3G Vita is certainly dead; 3 White and 11 Black left in stock on amazon.jp
Worryingly the 3G Black is the most popular version of the hardware.

Tenki

I honsetly think that, up to now, the still existing positive toughts for a reliable Vita relaunch could be justified only because of past Sony's strong turning point (with PS3 and PSP).
Just to clarify: me too I think that it's still possible to relaunch the system (at least in japan)
But you need games to relaunch a system.

I think that it's still possible to relaunch the system (at least in japan)

In the west maybe but its too late now for Japan. A relaunch might bring moderate success but 3DS has the support whilst Sony has put nothing in place to tie third parties to the device.

Sony would be better gearing up for a move into tablets.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
But you need games to relaunch a system.

I agree, and historically Sony's first party IP are not so strong (as Nintendo ones, for example), and first party are the only games you can count on for sure.
But historically Sony is also able to convince third parties in developing for its hws.
I know about all the existing problems in doing it right now, btw.
that's the reason why I think that we can think that the relaunch is possible just based on previous experiences.

clemenx

Banned
Anyone know how's PES 2013 for 3DS? I was really impressed with the 2012 version they did. I wouldn't be opposed to buying it again if it has real improvements.

Bladenic

Even if its not as great as Xillia, pretty sure Xillia 2 still had the best first week Tales game sales in the last five years. Again barring Xillia. I may be wrong though, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Abyss was the last time a Tales game had higher first week sales.

I agree, and historically Sony's first party IP are not so strong (as Nintendo ones, for example), and first party are the only games you can count on for sure.
But historically Sony is also able to convince third parties in developing for its hws.
that's the reason why I think that we can think that the relaunch is possible just based on previous experiences.

No matter what Sony gets the 3DS is going to have DQ7 and MH4 next year. And there's a good chance gen 6 hits late next year as well. There is nothing Sony can counter that with. A relaunch would require there to be chinks of the armor of the competitor, and the 3DS is low priced with the games people want. Yoshida is talking abotu how they can't find support for Vita right now, so it's obvious the usual people Sony relies on aren't helping.

Snakeyes

lmfao Vita

It's time for Sony to play their trump card; high-budget remakes of Final Fantasy 7-9 and make them Vita exclusives.

extralite

The DC was sold at a loss though. So when the DC drivers are already out of gas the Vita will still not make much money but hopefully not lose any either.

Obviously this Sony strategy of launching a console people want to own but can't afford (now) keeps on backfiring as by the time their consoles become affordable the competition already outpaced them to the degree that they're destined to last place. This repeatedly resulted in great damage to the PS brand which will also hurt the PS4 even if they manage to turn around and make it competetive from the beginning again. Which I doubt they really will. So I feel the PS4 will be Sony's last chance in the gaming field.

Launching the Vita was a mistake. Too expensive, too late. But killing it would be a bigger one as it'd alienate even the customers who already bought one. Basically Vita has some better years later but as we can see with the PS3 they don't live up to the previous model of dominating from the beginning. With the Vita starting out so weak these stronger later years will be scaled down even more accordingly compared to those of the already disappointing PS3 over the PS2.

Sony needs to understand that they have some support left DESPITE their shitty strategy of shutting out low income customers, not so much because of the high quality of their products. The quality difference with the competition is often neglible and it's not like their products aren't flawed either.

TheNatural

My Member!
Does Sony even give a fuck anymore? Seems like they're treating the Vita like their TV division. Whatever the price is, is what the price is, and whatever they sell is what they sell and that's it. They don't seem to even give a fuck anymore if it actually sells anything, or if they even make a profit on it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Launching the Vita was a mistake. Too expensive, too late. But killing it would be a bigger one as it'd alienate even the customers who already bought one. Basically Vita has some better years later but as we can see with the PS3 they don't live up to the previous model of dominating from the beginning. With the Vita starting out so weak these stronger later years will be scaled down even more accordingly compared to those of the already disappointing PS3 over the PS2.

I think Sony had no choice but to launch it, with Nintendo's new handheld approaching release date and bound to finish the PSP for good. And for a moment it seemed like it could work, with Vita being a powerful console being sold at a very reasonable price, expecially compared to the 3DS. Gaf just imploded when they announced the 250 price tag and I feared for Nintendo, but we all know how things went

Michan

My local 7-Eleven (beside Shirokanetakanawa Station, Tokyo) has been stocking Animal Crossing cards since yesterday/Tuesday evening. They're on a small shelf in a corner of the store next to cards for NSMB2, Nintendo Points, iTunes, PSN, and a couple of other things. I wouldn't have seen them if I wasn't going specifically to buy a points card.

When I first saw them, there were about 20 cards on the hanger. I stopped to get something earlier, and there was just one remaining. I think this points to a massive first week of sales for Animal Crossing, as could be expected.

DrWong

My local 7-Eleven (beside Shirokanetakanawa Station, Tokyo) has been stocking Animal Crossing cards since yesterday/Tuesday evening. They're on a small shelf in a corner of the store next to cards for NSMB2, Nintendo Points, iTunes, PSN, and a couple of other things. I wouldn't have seen them if I wasn't going specifically to buy a points card.

When I first saw them, there were about 20 cards on the hanger. I stopped to get something earlier, and there was just one remaining.

1. I think this points to a massive first week of sales for Animal Crossing, as could be expected.

2. More importantly: these cards are not tracked by Media Create or Famitsu, yet this one small convenience store in a mostly-residential suburb has already sold through 19 copies of the game. Convenience stores in Japan sell just about everything, and it's easy to impulsively purchase something in this type of environment. So just how under-reported are sales for games that are sold in this fashion?

Look at NSMB2, for example – the game seems to be underperforming, comparatively. Franchise fatigue is one of various easy answers. In NSMB2's first 2 weeks, downloads accounted for 5% of sales, with 20% for Demon Training. We have not heard anything since, despite Nintendo's clear efforts to bring these cards to stores which would otherwise not usually risk tangible inventory for such a product.

The late majority/laggards buy differently to early adopters: they shop in different places and ways. These buyers are not the same as us – they are late to buy a 3DS, casuals, people who were on the fence, people looking for a quick fix, and people shopping for others.

Seeing Animal Crossing's performance, I wonder if these cards – which would otherwise be retail game boxes tucked into some shelf at a media/electronics store – are just as "evergreen," except catching these customers before they even consider a trip to Tsutaya or Bic.
Shorter version: it's going to be big. Do we have one week before release hardware sales for the previous AC episodes? Curious to know if we'll find a pre-release hardware bump effect like it seems to be the case this week with 3DS.

PS3 and PSP did have games before and after the re-launch. PSP got a big boost thanks to its first revision also because it was launched along with Crisis Core and Portable Ops Plus (both announced way before their release), and Monster Hunter phenomenon was starting to grow. PS3 had the top support from Japanese third parties since the beginning.

Where are Vita games? At this point, if there really exist big games for this platform, they should announce them as soon as possible.

Really?
I think that Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest speak for themselves.

Road

Shorter version: it's going to be big. Do we have one week before release hardware sales for the previous AC episodes? Curious to know if we'll find a pre-release hardware bump effect like it seems to be the case this week with 3DS.

http://garaph.info/softwaregroup.php?grid=1

Click each game, click the first week, click the previous week.

2. More importantly: these cards are not tracked by Media Create or Famitsu...

For the nth time, Famitsu tracks the cards.

Mr Swine

Banned
Jesus, vita or Sony cant catch a break with such low HW sales!

I've been saying this all along but Sony is to blame with Vita sales.

1. They are arrogant:

Thinking that just because your HW has the name Playstation doesn't automatically mean that every developer will flock to your console/handheld.

2. 8-9 months to late:

Giving Nintendo a 8-9 month head start was also a big mistake on Sonys part.

3. Powerful hardware means added dev costs:

This is probably another mistake, creating a handheld that comes "close" to the PS3/360 meant that making games will cost more since budgets has to be bigger.

There is probably more but at this pace, Sony will be lucky to reach 2 million sold units LTD in Japan at the end of next year. 3DS will probably be around 12-14 million at that point. Also I have a hard time seeing developers make big IP games on Vita when the 3DS has 8 times the user base. Also there is DQVII and MH4 early next year that will bolster 3DS sales like mad!

Top Bottom