• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Median Wealth for Single Black Women in Prime of Career: $5.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronito

QuadCore said:
Now you're just trying to start stuff. My point is, is that a person, no matter their sex, race, or whatever, can achieve anything they want to, if they try hard enough.
Like say....win the lottery?

QuadCore said:
There should be no exceptions, but they keep finding them.

...What? Do you understand what "exceptions don't make the rule" even means?

Just because there are successful black people doesn't mean that most blacks in America don't have access to the same opportunities as whites. Do you understand that very basic logic?

zero_suit

QuadCore said:
Now you're just trying to start stuff. My point is, is that a person, no matter their sex, race, or whatever, can achieve anything they want to, if they try hard enough.

You have a very naive and simplistic view of the world.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
QuadCore said:

No, no they can't. Lots of people try hard as a motherfucker and still die in poverty.

QuadCore said:
Black people in general think that they are owed something. Why? I don't know. Probably because of slavery or something. They are very demanding people. The term African American is the most ridiculous phrase in our English language. Sure they are some people who are from Africa and are now an American, but 99% of the blacks aren't. You are from American, you're an American. Not African American.

That said. Black people love to blame others than to try and fix the problem. Why are they poor? Well that's easy. The white men made them poor. No! That is not true. Sure their ancestors were slaves, but they aren't now and haven't been for a very very long time. But now they have every opportunity to, like any other American, in this country, make something for themselves.

So back again to the point. They continually want to rely upon other people to help them. They want handouts. They want reperation (sp?) from slavery. What would they do with that money? Probably waste it and still be in the exact same situation they are now. Why is it so ironic that most black men don't make it to college and end up in jail, prison, or a life of gangs?

They end up following their friends and their fatherly figures who half the time aren't there with the family anyways.

So I guess my main point is, and I'm sure this will probably be my last post on here for being banned, but black people in general do not have goals, desires, the will power, or more importantly the encouragement from people they rely upon to get out and obtain a better life.

Even the rappers whom have gotten out, still stay in that lifestyle. So sometimes it's not even a matter of money. It's a matter of, they are use to it, and have no desire to get out of it.

Aren't you glad for internet anonymity? Because you should be. :lol

Threi

notag
QuadCore said:
Why can't black people adapt and step up like all the other immigrant? How is it that Middle Eastern people can come over here and make a good living for themselves when black people who have lived on this land for a very long time can't?
well sorry for remaining in poverty...I tried to get a job but the dude told me that I can't make a good living because he was told so on a gaming forum

seriously though stereotype some more why don't you...O_O

ronito

QuadCore said:
Study says Noooooooooo

#
Children from low-income families have only a 1 percent chance of reaching the top 5 percent of the income distribution, versus children of the rich who have about a 22 percent chance.
#
Children born to the middle quintile of parental family income ($42,000 to $54,300) had about the same chance of ending up in a lower quintile than their parents (39.5 percent) as they did of moving to a higher quintile (36.5 percent). Their chances of attaining the top five percentiles of the income distribution were just 1.8 percent.

African American children who are born in the bottom quartile are nearly twice as likely to remain there as adults than are white children whose parents had identical incomes, and are four times less likely to attain the top quartile.

The difference in mobility for blacks and whites persists even after controlling for a host of parental background factors, children’s education and health, as well as whether the household was female-headed or receiving public assistance.

internationalincomemobility.jpg

QuadCore said:

Seriously? Whoever told you this bullshit lied to you.

QuadCore

Banned
Threi said:
well sorry for remaining in poverty...I tried to get a job but the dude told me that I can't make a good living because he was told so on a gaming forum

seriously though stereotype some more why don't you...O_O

I'm taking it, that you're black. Everyone right now is trying to get a job. Blaming it on your skin tone is the easy way out. Maybe you weren't qualified for the job. Maybe the person hiring you was racist. But you know what? You don't give up. You go to every job interview you possibly can go to and keep your head held high.

Threi

notag
QuadCore said:
I'm taking it, that you're black. Everyone right now is trying to get a job. Blaming it on your skin tone is the easy way out. Maybe you weren't qualified for the job. Maybe the person hiring you was racist. But you know what? You don't give up. You go to every job interview you possibly can go to and keep your head held high.
uh...thanks.

QuadCore

Banned
ronito said:
Study says Noooooooooo

internationalincomemobility.jpg

Like I said earlier. Most black men, without over generalizing, don't make it to college. A lot of the time they aren't home with their family, they are out doing whatever. So they don't teach their kid, they don't inspire their kid, so of course they are going to make pretty much the same as their father, which is next to nothing.

ronito

QuadCore said:
Like I said earlier. Most black men, without over generalizing, don't make it to college. A lot of the time they aren't home with their family, they are out doing whatever. So they don't teach their kid, they don't inspire their kid, so of course they are going to make pretty much the same as their father, which is next to nothing.
and why, do you think, are they not at home? Drinkin' their 40zs? Doing crack? What?

ronito

QuadCore said:
I've already stated it in a post. It's an endless cycle. If the father doesn't achieve, most like the son won't either.
but wait.

You just said if you work hard you can be an astronaut cowboy firefighter millionaire.

So which is it? Is it a cycle? Or is it that you think black people are lazy?

QuadCore

Banned
ronito said:
but wait.

You just said if you work hard you can be an astronaut cowboy firefighter millionaire.

So which is it? Is it a cycle? Or is it that you think black people are lazy?

Yes if you work hard you can be whatever you want. But typically the black fathers don't give their sons inspirations and aspirations to further their knowledge. There are some break aways, which I've mentioned before. It CAN happen, for anyone, for any race for any gender. The people who give up, who don't want to achieve, or atleast try to achieve, go back into that cycle.

So yes there is a cycle, but only for the weak.

ronito

QuadCore said:
Yes if you work hard you can be whatever you want. But typically the black fathers don't give their sons inspirations and aspirations to further their knowledge. There are some break aways, which I've mentioned before. It CAN happen, for anyone, for any race for any gender. The people who give up, who don't want to achieve, or atleast try to achieve, go back into that cycle.

Oh I get it. So black fathers are lazy, which leads to black kids being lazy.

Stinkles

QuadCore said:

HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME.

QuadCore

Banned
Threi said:
uh...thanks.

If you are going to sit here and blame that you don't have a job because of you're skin tone, then you aren't worth having that job at all. If you have that kind of lazy, ungrateful, racists attitude, then why would any employer ever want to hire you?

You are part of the problem. Quick to blame the white men.

Boo hoo.

Grow up.

Stinkles

QuadCore said:
If you are going to sit here and blame that you don't have a job because of you're skin tone, then you aren't worth having that job at all. If you have that kind of lazy, ungrateful, racists attitude, then why would any employer ever want to hire you?

Boo hoo.

Grow up.

10/10

ToxicAdam

I was thinking of ways government COULD help in alleviating some of this disparity and it would seem that subsidized child care would be a pretty major step. That could free up the mother to find better employment or perhaps schooling. But it seems like many of the major states already have programs that do this.

So, you look at social factors and you have to think that both of the hardest hit groups (hispanics/blacks) are also the groups with the largest percentage of unwed mothers (and growing). Not sure if that plays a big role in this disparity, but you have to think that it does. I'm not sure if its the silver bullet in this discussion because many western Europe countries have a high rate of unwed mothers and they don't have this problem.

QuadCore said:
There is no black bashing in this thread at all, except for the Oprah comment.

I don't see how that's "black bashing" at all unless I'm pointing out some sort of deeply rooted scar by saying Oprah has lots of money. You have waaaaay more problems regarding your personal race relations than I could even fathom sir. I may not know the difference between mean and median, but I know that.

Stinkles

ToxicAdam said:
I was thinking of ways government COULD help in alleviating some of this disparity and it would seem that subsidized child care would be a pretty major step. That could free up the mother to find better employment or perhaps schooling. But it seems like many of the major states already have programs that do this.

So, you look at social factors and you have to think that both of the hardest hit groups (hispanics/blacks) are also the groups with the largest percentage of unwed mothers (and growing). Not sure if that plays a big role in this disparity, but you have to think that it does. I'm not sure if its the silver bullet in this discussion because many western Europe countries have a high rate of unwed mothers and they don't have this problem.

The government could give QuadCore style peptalks about how all you have to do is try really hard. Then black people will all be rich.

I'm imagining this 15yo middle-class white kid walking up to a poor black guy on the street after a job interview telling him to just keep believing in The Heart Of The Cards and he'll stop being poor, and I'm having to fight back laughter.

ronito

OuterWorldVoice said:
The government could give QuadCore style peptalks about how all you have to do is try really hard. Then black people will all be rich.
A white man for every black woman!

QuadCore said:

I bet ur dad is black

Threi

notag
QuadCore said:

Boo hoo.

Grow up.
nah i prefer to stay here slingin crack on this corner instead of trying to become another obama

deal with it.

QuadCore

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:

I could give them peptalks all day, but only a small majority would pep up and truly listen. The others would blame it on someone else; just like our fellow friend Threi here.

Zep

Banned
ToxicAdam said:

Is it more family oriented in western Europe? Meaning the unwed mothers have more help from parents and grandparents, helping them get back on their feet. Or are you purely going off stats with regards to how much money they make as a single mother.

Jin34

QuadCore said:

So yes there is a cycle, but only for the weak. Now excuse me I must do my daily reading of Atlas Shrugged

Fixed.

QuadCore

Banned
Threi said:
nah i prefer to stay here slingin crack on this corner instead of trying to become another obama

deal with it.

Isn't it odd that a white woman helped this black man to achieve his goals?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
OuterWorldVoice said:
In America, black people have suffered legal discrimination and apartheid literally up until we landed a man on the moon.
After de jure segregation you have de facto segregation, as the removal of jim crow laws did not suddenly uproot neighborhoods nor did it redistribute tax dollars as if everybody's home values were equal. Furthermore, urban planning remained segregationist in many areas for a long time afterward. Good neighborhoods with good schools don't happen by accident.

Which brings us to the big thing that perpetuates racism in what should be a post-racial society: wealth. This is more than affluence, it is also the values and expectations that come with being in a social class. The people behind the Harlem Children's Zone specifically looked into this and decided that while they can't truly help people as they are today, they can teach them to be better parents and then provide a more middle-class upbringing for their children, enabling existing avenues for social mobility.

Now you have people like QuadCore who assume that since racial laws are a thing of the past, everything must magically be ok now. Neighborhoods should be integrated and black americans now have wealth on an equal footing, when such isn't the case. Since QuadCore comes into this situation with the assumption of color blindness, this leads him to a racist conclusion: something must be inherently wrong with black people.

QuadCore said:
Which then devolves into social darwinism!

Undubbed

Definitely the biggest problem is education. Our public education system sucks and doesn't teach you how to independently think until you go to college.

Though there are a lot of social environmental things that can keep you down too. Like being bombarded with negativity when it comes to black history. It's pretty much just negative, after negative, after negative and I think that can make black child think they can't accomplish much so they aim low a lot of the time.

What the black community needs are much more participants in the scientific community and free thinkers.

And I know this may piss a lot of people off, but I think religion is getting in the way of those goals. Not saying it's required to achieve success, but I certainly think it would speed it up by a lot if the black community ditched religion.

Saying all this as a black person, by the way.

Jin34

ToxicAdam said:

Part of it is that the public schools in poor areas are nowhere close to the same class as the public schools middle class kids go to. Aren't a big part of school budgets payed by local property taxes?

QuadCore

Banned
Hitokage said:
Now you have people like QuadCore who assume that since racial laws are a thing of the past, everything must magically be ok now. Neighborhoods should be integrated and black americans now have wealth on an equal footing, when it isn't the case. Since QuadCore comes into this situation with the assumption of color blindness, this leads him to a racist conclusion: something must be inherently wrong with black people.

Racial laws aren't a thing of the past, they are here, unforunately. People need to learn to overcome it and stand up and fight for it and achieve their goals instead of allowing suppresors to suppress them.

zero_suit

Undubbed said:
And I know this may piss a lot of people off, but I think religion is getting in the way of those goals. Not saying it's required to achieve success, but I certainly think it would speed it up by a lot if the black community ditched religion.

Saying all this as a black person, by the way.

Indeed

QuadCore said:
I could give them peptalks all day, but only a small majority would pep up and truly listen. The others would blame it on someone else; just like our fellow friend Threi here.

this is just the best thing

Stinkles

QuadCore said:
Racial laws aren't a thing of the past, they are here, unforunately. People need to learn to overcome it and stand up and fight for it and achieve their goals instead of allowing suppresors to suppress them.

OH GOD MAKE IT STOP

ronito

QuadCore said:
Spoken like a man that's never been suppressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom