• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Median Wealth for Single Black Women in Prime of Career: $5.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

unomas

Banned
I guess the question really becomes how do you change the trend? I'm Mexican and we get a bad rap all the time, but I can take heat towards my race without a problem. It's not something that is easily defensible, but at the same time is racially insensitive. As far as black women and this trend, I don't see it changing directions for a long long time if ever. It doesn't matter how many handouts you give.

zero_suit

QuadCore said:
Racial laws aren't a thing of the past, they are here, unforunately. People need to learn to overcome it and stand up and fight for it and achieve their goals instead of allowing suppresors to suppress them.

It's easy to say that when you're outside looking in...

Kite

Oh dear I think I'm going to step into a minefield..

My grandfather came to America from China a few decades ago with <$100 but died after helping send all 4 of his kids through college and left us a restaurant and bakery. He accomplished so much with his life even though he had to come to a foreign country with no $ and speaking little English through an insane amount of hard work and planning for the future of himself and his family.

So why do blacks, who have been settled in this country for so many years, who can speak english, and through tremendous efforts of civil rights leaders have the entire white population walking on egg shells whenever anything might even have a whiff of being negative about blacks.. how the hell can this $5 median wealth statistic thing exist? It is like having a head start in a race.. if they could take advantage of it..

This argument about black culture seeming to encourage asking for handouts and blaming others instead of working.. I'm hard pressed to disagree with it. You guys can argue over history about is it whitey's fault or not, but is it not true to some extent? Say anything negative about blacks and you'll have a gaggle of black leaders on tv denouncing you and calling you a racist, but no one bats and eye if an asian slur is spoken. We have no Jesse Jackson to get angry on our behalf and yet we just soldier on.

Maybe if blacks worried less about stamping out every last trace of racism and asking for reparations, and instead work on raising their kids with stronger values.. I dunno, I'm about to get tarred and feathered and banned ain't I <.<

Undubbed said:
And I know this may piss a lot of people off, but I think religion is getting in the way of those goals. Not saying it's required to achieve success, but I certainly think it would speed it up by a lot if the black community ditched religion.
Black folks are so worried bout Jesus it's ridiculous. I'm glad my mom saw religion for what it was and never made me go to church like she had to when she was comin up.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
QuadCore said:
I've been suppressed, maybe not racially, and have fought for everything I've achieved. There's a difference, I never gave up.

I'll bite. What hardships and obstacles have you overcome, and how?

This is amazing insight into the mind of someone with an incredibly simplistic, Randroid-infused worldview. Please keep this going.

ronito

QuadCore said:
I've been suppressed, maybe not racially, and have fought for everything I've achieved. There's a difference, I never gave up.
uh-huh.

Tell me just how hard was that Ayn Rand book to read for you? Did your family say you'd never make it through it? But you showed them all, you Titan!

QuadCore

Banned
Kite said:

My grandfather came to America from China a few decades ago with <$100 but died after helping send all 4 of his kids through college and left us a restaurant and bakery. He accomplished so much with his life even though he had to come to a foreign country with no $ and speaking little English through an insane amount of hard work and planning for the future of himself and his family.

So why do blacks, who have been settled in this country for so many years, who can speak english, and through tremendous efforts of civil rights leaders have the entire white population walking on egg shells whenever anything might even have a whiff of being negative about blacks.. how the hell can this $5 median wealth statistic thing exist? It is like having a head start in a race.. if they could take advantage of it..

This argument about black culture seeming to encourage asking for handouts and blaming others instead of working.. I'm hard pressed to disagree with it. You guys can argue over history about is it whitey's fault or not, but is it not true to some extent? Say anything negative about blacks and you'll have a gaggle of black leaders on tv denouncing you and calling you a racist, but no one bats and eye if an asian slur is spoken. We have no Jesse Jackson to get angry on our behalf and yet we just soldier on.

Maybe if blacks worried less about stamping out every last trace of racism and asking for reparations, and instead work on raising their kids with stronger values.. I dunno, I'm about to get tarred and feathered and banned ain't I <.<

Couldn't have said it better myself. The black culture continually blames it on everyone else besides themselves. It's a cycle that will continue as long as the black parents express this feeling and thoughts and teaches it to their kids.

ToxicAdam

Zep said:
Is it more family oriented in western Europe? Meaning the unwed mothers have more help from parents and grandparents, helping them get back on their feet. Or are you purely going off stats with regards to how much money they make as a single mother.

I'm going off the stats of babies being born to unwed mothers.

In the Nordic countries and France over half the babies are born to unwed mothers. But, that doesn't speak to the fact that maybe this is a reflection of couples purposely avoiding conventional marriages and are still staying together.

It's kind of a chicken and the egg problem in America. Unwed mothers are more likely to be undereducated/poorer than others. Which came first? When does it end?

Zep

Banned
Kite said:

Thats because you're letting the media dictate how you view us. You see a few hundred people crying and marching in the street over something small and you put it to a whole race.

That sir, is your problem. You should fix it and get away from that mindset.

QuadCore

Banned
Kenak said:
Why can't we all just get along =[

I try to get a long with everyone regardless of their nationality, religion, gender, or skin tone. People need to realize that a person is who they are inside, and not their "faults" on the outside.

A person makes themselves through their actions, not the color of the skin.

QuadCore

Banned
Anyways, I am going to sleep, as I have to wake up in 6 hours for work.

I would love to continue and debate this later on, if I may do so.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Many of the people I've heard about who make inroads into these issues understand that just giving handouts won't solve them, but also understand that they're working with severe handicaps not head starts.

Reality is a bit more nuanced than pep talks.

Kite said:
Well when you put it that way.

Kite said:
Any black leader worth note has been shot. Nobody take Jesse Jackson or Reverend Al serious.

Kite said:
That was just... WOW!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Having worked for a non-profit in the poorest neighborhood in Denver (Five Points. You'd think it was South Central if you took a snapshot), I can tell you that much of what makes it so hard for african americans to succeed is systemic.

Imagine you grew up in a household where your father is largely absent (or in jail), and your mother tries her damndest to put you through school and teach you values while trying to pay for all the necessities that the two of you must pay for. Also imagine that you have siblings, possibly from multiple other fathers (a sadly common issue). Imagine you drop out of high school because no one tells you not to. In fact, there are more people telling you that high school is a waste of time than there are people telling you that you HAVE to get an education to get anywhere in life.

Imagine that the only role models you really develop are musicians and athletes (not because you're stupid or ignorant, but because that's where people you identify visibly succeed). These are the people that you see on TV all the time making money. (this is a separate issue, as a lot of african american youth hang their career hats upon the 1/100000 chance that they will play in the NBA, or become a famous musician)

Now imagine the life you grew up with. Imagine how much harder you have to work in that life, than in the one you were born into. This isn't some anomaly. I worked with hundreds of these kids every DAY. They're good kids with no true and proper guidance, who really want to succeed and make something of themselves. Some of them succeed, finish high school, go on to college, and come back years later to thank us for our help. Hundreds of others used to call me on me at work and tell me they were done with school. Not because it was too hard or they were too stupid. They were smart kids. Some of them were incredibly articulate kids with minor but untreated learning disabilities.

No, these kids left because they left before, and every time you leave, it becomes easier, and easier and easier.

I've lived a pretty charmed existence, going from elementary, to high school, to college, and into a job without much pause. I didn't have any episodes, no drop outs, and no real trouble. It took working in Five Points to really understand how much they work against. They're not just working against "the man," they're working against an entire sub-societal zeitgeist, and the shoddy training they picked up from the parents that cared but didn't have time, the friends that didn't have their best interests at heart, and the streets.

Sorry, I was hoping to keep that short.

QuadCore, you didn't answer. What hardships and "suppressions" have you overcome, making you qualified to judge Ameria's black population?

ronito

QuadCore said:
I try to get a long with everyone regardless of their nationality, religion, gender, or skin tone. People need to realize that a person is who they are inside, and not their "faults" on the outside.

Uhhh....

Black people in general think that they are owed something. Why? I don't know. Probably because of slavery or something. They are very demanding people. The term African American is the most ridiculous phrase in our English language. Sure they are some people who are from Africa and are now an American, but 99% of the blacks aren't. You are from American, you're an American. Not African American.

That said. Black people love to blame others than to try and fix the problem. Why are they poor? Well that's easy. The white men made them poor. No! That is not true. Sure their ancestors were slaves, but they aren't now and haven't been for a very very long time. But now they have every opportunity to, like any other American, in this country, make something for themselves.

So back again to the point. They continually want to rely upon other people to help them. They want handouts. They want reperation (sp?) from slavery. What would they do with that money? Probably waste it and still be in the exact same situation they are now. Why is it so ironic that most black men don't make it to college and end up in jail, prison, or a life of gangs?

They end up following their friends and their fatherly figures who half the time aren't there with the family anyways.

So I guess my main point is, and I'm sure this will probably be my last post on here for being banned, but black people in general do not have goals, desires, the will power, or more importantly the encouragement from people they rely upon to get out and obtain a better life.

Even the rappers whom have gotten out, still stay in that lifestyle. So sometimes it's not even a matter of money. It's a matter of, they are use to it, and have no desire to get out of it.
Yeah a real advocate for racial understanding.

Firestorm

Kite said:

Black people would not have been able to do that a few decades ago from my understanding of US history (very little).

Threi said:
nah i prefer to stay here slingin crack on this corner instead of trying to become another obama

deal with it.
too bad. you live in canada. nobody will give a shit if a black man becomes prime minister here.

Zep

Banned
thetrin said:
Having worked for a non-profit in the poorest neighborhood in Denver (Five Points. You'd think it was South Central if you took a snapshot), I can tell you that much of what makes it so hard for african americans to succeed is systemic.

Imagine you grew up in a household where your father is largely absent (or in jail), and your mother tries her damndest to put you through school and teach you values while trying to pay for all the necessities that the two of you must pay for. Also imagine that you have siblings, possibly from multiple other fathers (a sadly common issue). Imagine you drop out of high school because no one tells you not to. In fact, there are more people telling you that high school is a waste of time than there are people telling you that you HAVE to get an education to get anywhere in life.

Imagine that the only role models you really develop are musicians and athletes (not because you're stupid or ignorant, but because that's where people you identify visibly succeed). These are the people that you see on TV all the time making money. (this is a separate issue, as a lot of african american youth hang their career hats upon the 1/100000 chance that they will play in the NBA, or become a famous musician)

Now imagine the life you grew up with. Imagine how much harder you have to work in that life, than in the one you were born into. This isn't some anomaly. I worked with hundreds of these kids every DAY. They're good kids with no true and proper guidance, who really want to succeed and make something of themselves. Some of them succeed, finish high school, go on to college, and come back years later to thank us for our help. Hundreds of others used to call me on me at work and tell me they were done with school. Not because it was too hard or they were too stupid. They were smart kids. Some of them were incredibly articulate kids with minor but untreated learning disabilities.

No, these kids left because they left before, and every time you leave, it becomes easier, and easier and easier.

I've lived a pretty charmed existence, going from elementary, to high school, to college, and into a job without much pause. I didn't have any episodes, no drop outs, and no real trouble. It took working in Five Points to really understand how much they work against. They're not just working against "the man," they're working against an entire sub-societal zeitgeist, and the shoddy training they picked up from the parents that cared but didn't have time, the friends that didn't have their best interests at heart, and the streets.

Great post. My sister works for a Family Service and has echoed those same thoughts countless times.

Kite said:

There's all kinds of nebulous issues that deter black people from getting those high-paying jobs or achieving overall success in society. One of the biggest factors blacks have going against them that Asians don't, though, is a cyclical trend put in place through slavery and the Jim Crow laws that followed. Even though the playing field may be more even now (and even then, there are limitations in many cases) the oppression from the past is stifling success in the present. Although you said its like having a head start in a race, its quite the opposite. Black people were largely kept from high levels of success up until 1970-ish, and even then only in rare cases. When white families got to shoot for the stars for ten generations more than black families had the opportunity to, it makes it very difficult for the past two or three generations to make up for the lost ground that their ancestors were forced not to cover. To go back to your analogy, it's like trying to keep pace in a marathon, but you have to stand at the starting line until everyone gets to the ten-mile mark. Then the people who are ten miles ahead of you act flabbergasted that you aren't running right beside them and say, "You have legs and can run with them now, there's no reason you shouldn't be just as far as me aside from not running hard enough."

OrangeGrayBlue said:
To go back to your analogy, it's like trying to keep pace in a marathon, but you have to stand at the starting line until everyone gets to the ten-mile mark. Then the people who are ten miles ahead of you act flabbergasted that you aren't running right beside them and say, "You have legs and can run with them now, there's no reason you shouldn't be just as far as me aside from not running hard enough."
Bravo sir.

Threi

notag
QuadCore said:

You say that while making huge sweeping claims about an entire ethnicity.

"How come blacks do this"

"blacks should work hard like I did"

For the record I have a job (kinda sucky one though, i'm looking for a better one), I am in School (Electrical Engineering), and any mistakes I make along the way I attribute to my shortcomings, not my race. Based on my experiences I could say a lot of things about different ethnicities, but that is incredibly narrow-minded. I am fortunate enough to come from a city that is known for it's multiculturalism (Toronto represent!) so I can see that you absolutely cannot make any sort of conclusion of any ethnicity.

You have to form opinions on a case-by-case basis. If there is a black guy who is lazy and blames white people for it (which there is at my workplace fyi), you can't just automatically say that it's because he's black which is why hes saying that, its because he's lazy why he's saying that. It's not a trait attributed to race at all, and it's ludicrous to even suggest that.

You should go back and read your posts when you come back and really see how you are portraying yourself. Not everyone has the same worth ethic, regardless of race. And like it has been pointed out numerous times already, not everyone starts at the same point.

Rur0ni

thetrin said:

And thus the cycle.

We're done here.

th2jxutv.gif

Threi

notag
EmCeeGramr said:
threi that's a lot of words for "shiftless and weak"
well ya kno i found a grade 5 english book on the street so i was like "aw hell why not beat this mothafucka over the head wit sum verbilage" know what im sayin

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've heard lazy asians don't exist. QuadCore taught me that.

weepy

Wow. This is a charming discussion...

OK, there seems to be some misconceptions and overtly sweeping generalizations going on as far a black people go, so I would like to clear a few things up:

*No, black people as a whole are NOT looking for "hand-out".

*No, most black people do NOT sit around all day "casting blame" sort of speak.

*Education and hard work is valued within most black communities.

*The rate of black college students (in particular males) are actually rising as oppose to common beliefs.

While I'll agree, black people do need to get our act together as far as some things go. Things are actually getting much better.

EDIT: Anyways, this discussion is about black women making less. How did it change into this?

thetrin

Kenak said:
Rich and white. Goes hand in hand like butter on bread.

Well...literally....butter, bread....rich, white....

Oh god, I just ruined your joke!

Kite

OrangeGrayBlue said:
There's all kinds of nebulous issues that deter black people from getting those high-paying jobs or achieving overall success in society. One of the biggest factors blacks have going against them that Asians don't, though, is a cyclical trend put in place through slavery and the Jim Crow laws that followed. Even though the playing field may be more even now (and even then, there are limitations in many cases) the oppression from the past is stifling success in the present. Although you said its like having a head start in a race, its quite the opposite. Black people were largely kept from high levels of success up until 1970-ish, and even then only in rare cases. When white families got to shoot for the stars for ten generations more than black families had the opportunity to, it makes it very difficult for the past two or three generations to make up for the lost ground that their ancestors were forced not to cover. To go back to your analogy, it's like trying to keep pace in a marathon, but you have to stand at the starting line until everyone gets to the ten-mile mark. Then the people who are ten miles ahead of you act flabbergasted that you aren't running right beside them and say, "You have legs and can run with them now, there's no reason you shouldn't be just as far as me aside from not running hard enough."

I'm sorry but I can't buy this. Do you think Whites regarded some fresh off the boat chinaman who could barely speak a dozen words of english any better then a black person in the 1970s? Really now.. The hardships and inequalities that blacks had to face is not terribly different the same bs many immigrant groups had to face back in the day. To use the race analogy, my grandfather didn't even understand why all these people were running around in circles, but took the time to read up on the rules, worked out on his own, knew he had to work 100 times as hard as whitey to catch up and eventually did. Reading your and thetrin's posts gave me something to consider, but I don't see how blacks began on a more difficult starting position

thetrin

Mine is meant to be food for thought, rather than an argument. A lot of self-perpetuating and untreated circumstances stunt the progress of african americans, and it continues even now.

That's all.

thetrin said:
Mine is meant to be food for thought, rather than an argument. A lot of self-perpetuating and untreated circumstances stunt the progress of african americans, and it continues even now.

That's all.

What he said, basically.

Just to give an example of certain disparities that may apply only to blacks, though...

http://www.imdiversity.com/Villages/Careers/articles/hicks_name_discrimination.asp

That article states that a "black-sounding" name on a resume, such as Ebony or Tyrone, is less likely to get a response than a white sounding name, such as Greg or Anne. While this isn't an end-all, be-all wall between a person and their success, it definitely makes it harder to climb that wall and suggests that a black person may face certain problems that an Asian immigrant wouldn't have to deal with.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I think Thrin's posts hits it the best. It's just the fault of a system in place. Not just the singular fault of the government, culture, parents, or individual but as a whole.

It's going to sound cheesy but if you just had one person to push you and listen early on. I really do think it would make all the difference in the world. Our society likes to have a clear vision on who to blame.

The kid will be blamed because he is a shitty kid. So he'll be discarded as a problem or trash. While there is free-will, if you treat someone like trash...What the fuck do you think they'll become and think of themselves? Do you think they'll magically be a perfect contributing member to society than?

Then parents will be blame because they raised a shitty kid. Who do you think raised them? Or before that? How do you expect them to know how well off they can be when no one ever gave them the chance?

Which goes into the culture. A culture that 40 years ago had a completely different set of rights. To say something like, Well it happened so long ago, you should be over it! It takes a long fucking time for ties to cooldown. Shit doesn't happen nor does it change over night. That goes on both accounts. Do you think every white person suddenly treated every black person the same? Fuck no. And this sort of culture is what many of them are brought up into.

And this goes into the government. Again, do you think suddenly everything was all fair and dandy once that bill was signed? It took years and still today. To go into it deeper...they'll spend billions on gun control, prisons, etc. Yet fight so fucking hard not to spend money on clinics, social services, health care, education and so forth. Instead of spending money to prevent the problem(This isn't so much a racial issue as an economical one), to bring up that lower rung on the ladder. They seem to be trying to contain it instead. Box them off them instead of trying to work from the inside.

I'm sorry if this is a bit rant-like and confusing... I'm a bit sleepy. :lol It feels like everyone keeps trying to push the problem onto someone else. Instead of being that shoulder for the youth to really lean on when they need it. It's not there. And unless they are one of those few people who really can change by themselves...the trends are set then for another generation.

OrangeGrayBlue said:
What he said, basically.

Just to give an example of certain disparities that may apply only to blacks, though...

http://www.imdiversity.com/Villages/Careers/articles/hicks_name_discrimination.asp

That article states that a "black-sounding" name on a resume, such as Ebony or Tyrone, is less likely to get a response than a white sounding name, such as Greg or Anne. While this isn't an end-all, be-all wall between a person and their success, it definitely makes it harder to climb that wall and suggests that a black person may face certain problems that an Asian immigrant wouldn't have to deal with.

Some of the names of black girls in the hood are ridiculous and downright ugly. I don't know what the fuck they're parents were on. Homies too get wacked out names.

Sorry if I offended anyone with a name that belongs on a Pimp My Ride car. Just how I feel.

weepy

Kite said:
I'm sorry but I can't buy this. Do you think Whites regarded some fresh off the boat chinaman who could barely speak a dozen words of english any better then a black person in the 1970s? Really now.. The hardships and inequalities that blacks had to face is not terribly different the same bs many immigrant groups had to face back in the day. To use the race analogy, my grandfather didn't even understand why all these people were running around in circles, but took the time to read up on the rules, worked out on his own, knew he had to work 100 times as hard as whitey to catch up and eventually did. Reading your and thetrin's posts gave me something to consider, but I don't see how blacks began on a more difficult starting position

There's a lot of factors to consider, but one of the main things that standout are:

*Lower-class blacks in poverty>The incarceration of the black male>broken households>Single Mother Parenting>Under-supervised, Misguided youth(s)>etc.

*A lot of which has to do with self-fulfilled prophecy: the kids who grow up with lack of positive influence(s) see those like him portrayed as gangbanging, crack slangin', thugs. The kids who keep hearing how they're most likely to end up dead or in jail before they're 21 birthday...believe me, without guidance that shit would stick with you. Soon, they develop a devil may care attitude and the cycle continues.

Listen, these are not excuses but something to consider. Your grandfather was (is?) a great man to be able to pull off what he did as an immigrant, but there are many blacks as well that have done the same thing despite the institutionalized racism. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things that doesn't make sense in the black community, but even I know well enough that it's more than just pulling yourself up by your boot straps and working harder to fix these situations in America.

thetrin

White people have overpowered racial traits. It's fucking bullshit. You're like, the best race for every class. What the fuck is the point of playing anyone else? We can't find any fucking parties, you assholes.

Hitokage said:
After de jure segregation you have de facto segregation, as the removal of jim crow laws did not suddenly uproot neighborhoods nor did it redistribute tax dollars as if everybody's home values were equal. Furthermore, urban planning remained segregationist in many areas for a long time afterward. Good neighborhoods with good schools don't happen by accident.

Which brings us to the big thing that perpetuates racism in what should be a post-racial society: wealth. This is more than affluence, it is also the values and expectations that come with being in a social class. The people behind the Harlem Children's Zone specifically looked into this and decided that while they can't truly help people as they are today, they can teach them to be better parents and then provide a more middle-class upbringing for their children, enabling existing avenues for social mobility.

Now you have people like QuadCore who assume that since racial laws are a thing of the past, everything must magically be ok now. Neighborhoods should be integrated and black americans now have wealth on an equal footing, when such isn't the case. Since QuadCore comes into this situation with the assumption of color blindness, this leads him to a racist conclusion: something must be inherently wrong with black people.

Which then devolves into social darwinism!

And that's not even half the story. Not to mention this goes far beyond African-Americans. There's bullshit in Latino Americans and Native Americans as well (and pretty much every other minority). Oh and let's not forget about women.

Seriously what base hasn't QuadCore touched on yet? Has he done the whole "I don't see why I can't say the n-word?" thing yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom