• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mediocre Chicago Style Pizza Produces Moderator Power Struggle

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungHav

Banned
Juliana's in Brooklyn won best pizza in the country. Smoking a joint while walking across the Manhattan Bridge and heading to Juliana's beats anything Chicago has to offer.

Apath

He's not trolling, a lot of the smaller pizzerias in the suburbs serve the square cut thin sliced stuff, but yeah deep dish is big too. Calling deep dish a "tourist attraction" is silly.

Also, to the poster a few spots above, yes there are Sbarros in a few malls in the suburbs.
The second part of my post was not directed at him. The people I question about trolling are the ones saying it's not pizza.
Chicago tavern style pizza is the best pizza on earth.

Deep dish is for tourists.

It's absolutely true. I'm from Chicago. My family is from Chicago. Many of my friends are from Chicago. Everybody eats cracker thin tavern style pizza most of the time and deep dish like... Twice a year. And most don't think any of the deep dish places are good with just a couple exceptions.
I guess I was a little liberal with my bolding; people do not eat deep dish as much as standard pizza, but it is in no way a tourist attraction.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Every pizza everywhere else in the entire world is made pretty much the same way except for in Chicago where it is drastically different.

Chicago "pizza" is great, but just because you call something pizza doesn't mean it's pizza. Why are we even comparing these vastly different foods as the same?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Juliana's in Brooklyn won best pizza in the country. Smoking a joint while walking across the Manhattan Bridge and heading to Juliana's beats anything Chicago has to offer.

Yep. Only reason other cities win is because we don't vote for ourselves and tourists hardly ever go to the real GOAT places.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
While people who say Chicago pizza is more of a souffle than a pizza have a point, NYC pizza is a bit to floppy and lacking in any substance whatsoever to qualify as pizza either, by that logic. That said, Chicago or any kind of deep dish beats NYC without any contest. People who champion NYC style pizza outside of NYC confuse the hell out of me. Unless you're actually in New York City itself, NY Pizza is a waste of time.

The list is solid, though, if only because Los Angeles isn't on it. It is impossible to find good pizza in this city, mainly because 95% of the pizza places are trying to emulate NYC pizza and failing.

Sobriquet

While people who say Chicago pizza is more of a souffle than a pizza have a point, NYC pizza is a bit to floppy and lacking in any substance whatsoever to qualify as pizza either, by that logic. That said, Chicago or any kind of deep dish beats NYC without any contest. People who champion NYC style pizza outside of NYC confuse the hell out of me. Unless you're actually in New York City itself, NY Pizza is a waste of time.

The list is solid, though, if only because Los Angeles isn't on it. It is impossible to find good pizza in this city, mainly because 95% of the pizza places are trying to emulate NYC pizza and failing.

I really like Purgatory and Pitfire. But then, I kinda hate Chicago-style pizza.

Just had New Haven Pizza for the first time this weekend and it is legit but not as good as the best NYC slices. The best old school NY slice is found in Brooklyn at Di Fara, the wait is horrible but if you want to know why people consider NYC the best pizza in the country this is the one. Plenty of new school places my favorites being Robertas, Union Pizza Works in Brooklyn and Don Antonio and Keste in Manhattan. Chicago style pizza is pretty good and their thin crust is nice too but I would rank NYC and New Haven above Chicago.

Wait, are you talking about Ben's Pizza? On MacDougal? While it is famous, the pizza isn't exactly the greatest. The better slice is down the street, at Artichoke Basille's. Their artichoke pizza is the most delicious slice I've had in New York so far. Admittedly, I haven't been to many places yet, so if anyone has a better slice, let me know.

Stealth pizza recommendation request.

Orlando?
Washington DC?
Miami Beach?

What the hell?!?

Now hold the fuck on, though Kissimmee is a ways from Orlando, there's a pizza restaurant run by a Hispanic family that makes absolutely fantastic NYC and Chicago style pizzas. I have not idea how they make them, but the pizza is goddamn top tier.

all those made new yorker babbies though
laugh.gif

(I don't even live in the US)

A good NY style pizza is much easier to find outside of New York. It's much harder to find a good Chicago style pizza outside of Illinois.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom