• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megyn Kelly’s ratings are taking NBC’s morning slate down with her

Slayven

https://www.salon.com/2017/10/11/megyn-kelly-ratings-today-kathie-lee-hoda/

It's too early to call Megyn Kelly's stint on "Today" an irreversible failure — but there are new signs that it's not just her own ratings that are suffering from her poor initial showing. Her flagging numbers are, reportedly, causing a not-inconsiderable decline across NBC's morning shows.

According to a confidential network source speaking to the New York Post's Page Six section, "Not only are ratings plummeting since Megyn Kelly joined the ‘Today’ franchise, but the numbers show Kelly’s lead-in has also affected Kathie Lee [Gifford] and Hoda Kotb’s show, which follows straight afterwards.”

While unconfirmed, the assertion makes obvious sense. According to New York Times television writer John Koblin, the ratings last few weeks of "Megyn Kelly TODAY" are down by up to 24 percent overall compared to the show's numbers one year ago when Tamron Hall was host. Based on these figures, the fact that the Post noted that the “Kathie Lee & Hoda” hour, which starts just as "Megyn Kelly TODAY" ends, is down 26 percent compared to last year's same-week numbers doesn't come as much of a surprise (the post pegs Kelly's own decline over Hall's ratings at 32 percent).

Between this mess and Fallon, NBC can't get right

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Imagine Megyn Kelly being the first thing you wake up to, and Jimmy Fallon the last thing you see before you fall asleep. #TheBadPlace

They deserve their shitty ratings. They did Hall dirty and inexplicably kept giving Megyn Kelly more chances. Well, I guess not inexplicably. She is a white, blond headed right-wing reporter so she can only fall upwards

Slayven

They deserve their shitty ratings. They did Hall dirty and inextricably kept giving Megyn Kelly more chances. Well, I guess not inextricably. She is a white, blond headed right-wing reporter so she can only fall upwards

I dream that Hall and Anne Curry meet up once in a while, crack a bottle of wine and just laugh.

lenovox1

They deserve their shitty ratings. They did Hall dirty and inextricably kept giving Megyn Kelly more chances. Well, I guess not inextricably. She is a white, blond headed right-wing reporter so she can only fall upwards

They signed a 5 year development deal with her, yes? I'm shocked this is the show Kelly wanted, but they had to find someway to make it work.

Yeah, I'm not surprised. I tried watching it a few weeks ago and could barely make it through one segment. It was really boring.
Nobody wants to see Megyn Kelly the first thing in the morning.

Wag

So she's keeping the same audience she had at Fox News? Isn't this what NBC wanted all along?

tuxfool

Banned
c48ed4ee395660c859c9ef6e461609974e72a7668b6b282f31eb029b7c7fea71.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It boggles my mind how NBC continues to make just the worst decisions.

Slayven

All that money, just to lose a chunk of viewers. Cheaper just to run rerurns of manimal to get the same effect.

Oddly enough her and jimmy have the same problem. No charm or personalty outside of a few annoying or terrible quirks

Wag

All that money, just to lose a chunk of viewers. Cheaper just to run rerurns of manimal to get the same effect.

Oddly enough her and jimmy have the same problem. No charm or personalty outside of a few annoying or terrible quirks

Hey! I liked Manimal! 🐯

HylianTom

Banned
I was a monumental NBC fan back in the 90s, watching The Today Show before heading out to class in college, ending my nights with Conan O’Brien, etc.. but they’ve made string of horrible decisions over the past decade, and now I’m at the point where I laugh when they get what they deserve.

This is another such moment of laughter.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If I'm actually home when her show comes on I'll instantly turn it to something else. She'll get nothing from me.

I'm drawing a blank to think of a bigger mistake that a network has pulled than NBC hiring Kelly for such a ludicrous amount, let alone at all.

She looks the part (blond, blue eyed, attractive, etc) but ultimately I think most people realize she's little more than a machine of (white) resentment and outrage with little to no warmth or empathy for normal things. I've seen a bit of the show and you can just tell she's not comfortable talking about trivial, "feel good" stories. She's useless without something to attack, discredit, or sow discontent/concern about.

Wood Man

Her interview with Jane Fonda was terrible. And Jane is supposed to be an sweetheart to interview, yet Kelly screwed it up.

I've watched some clips and her cheery morning personality comes off as forced and disingenuous as anybody could have expected. I have no idea wtf NBC was thinking with this move. Despite her fame (infamy?) she was completely unlikable. In fact, being cold and callous was sort of part of her claim to fame. So somehow NBC saw that and decided to try and turn her into Ellen or Kelly Ripa?

Alucrid

Banned
She looks the part (blond, blue eyed, attractive, etc) but ultimately I think most people realize she's little more than a machine of (white) resentment and outrage with little to no warmth or empathy for normal things. I've seen a bit of the show and you can just tell she's not comfortable talking about trivial, "feel good" stories. She's useless without something to attack, discredit, or sow discontent/concern about.

pretty much. every segment feels like its teetering on the point of all coming down in an instant.

LotusHD

Banned
the most bland and least affable person i can remember hosting a morning show

This honestly. Not like I watch every morning show religiously or anything, but I never thought to myself that they really shouldn't have this job.... until Megyn Kelly showed up. Hilarious seeing it all unfold though, it's a slow trainwreck.

Slayven

karma's a bitch

Tamron deserved that time slot

Tamron seems to have landed on her feet well, she got like 6 shows on the ID channel. Which from my experience probably the same cross section that love morning tv. Every woman I know watches the ID Channel.

Top Bottom