• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megyn Kelly's ratings hit all-time lows

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If I'm remember correctly he was trying to push Lawrence O'Donnell out as well. He was reason he didn't get a new contract until the last minute, like the day or two before what would have been his last day I think. Him wanting to turn NBC/MSNBC toward the right has always been dumb, especially when their shows with the left leaning were on the ratings rise.

He also hired Greta Van Susteren from Fox News at the same time, and she was booted last june for being so terrible in the ratings.

The timing is so incredibly dumb, right after republicans won everything. It's just boring TV to have to have a host deflect to meaningless culture wars because they feel too uncomfortable covering what's actually going on. Maybe if it was someone like Evan McMullin who has no restraint on attacking the right it could created ratings, but none of the fox news hosts will ever work to cover things that the GOP is actually doing on a daily basis.

I think they forgot that any buzz created by centrist or leftist statement by a fox news host is hugely amplified just by them saying it on fox news. Kelly isn't going to get the same buzz for a reserved rant against the GOP when it's basically the same thing everyone is saying outside of the fox news bubble.

Shauni

Wait no one wanted to see a soulless piece of shit racist interview a Sandy Hook truther?

That was a different show. She had a brief stint of a political show in primetime on NBC. This is a mourning talk show that avoids politics as much as possible.

But to answer your question, no.

teiresias

ssqtibovgaxcav3seqkt.png

"Adventure Capitalists"? Figures.

Mahonay

Banned
That was a different show. She had a brief stint of a political show in primetime on NBC. This is a mourning talk show that avoids politics as much as possible.

But to answer your question, no.
She was one of the biggest faces of Fox News, during the years that helped build the alt-right we're dealing with today, and eventually Donald Trump as President. It's literally impossible to detach her identity from it. She made her bed and is sleeping in it now. You don't get to spread hate and lies for all those years and get accepted now as some all inclusive morning show host. Fuck her.

She felt burned after Donald attacked her directly as a woman. It only mattered when it affected her personally. Weird how that works huh

LotusHD

Banned
Besides all the crap thats going on and things she represents, she is really cute in this picture.
Probably the only cute picture of her.

I disagree. Probably because I'm just incapable of separating her from all the shit she has said, but yeah, I disagree. It looks so insincere to me.

ItIsOkBro

For people wondering why NBC hired Kelly, it's pretty simple.

When Trump won, executives' brains all immediately went to "Oh shit, there's more money in conservatism than we had originally thought! Quick appeal to their side! Hire Megyn Kelly!"

Unfortunately, they didn't realize that it's either Fox News or Infowars for those nutjobs so they ain't reaping shit.

Megyn Kelly on a morning show is just about the dumbest decision I've ever seen. She's such an ice queen, her ass should be in Frozen 2.
idk man. it's not like they let megan kelly be megan kelly. they tried to rebrand her. it didnt work because she's awful.

In December 2013, remarks made by Kelly in reaction to a Slate article drew controversy. On The Kelly File, she said, "For all you kids watching at home, Santa just is white, but this person is just arguing that maybe we should also have a black Santa," adding, "But Santa is what he is, and just so you know, we're just debating this because someone wrote about it." Kelly also stated that Jesus was a white man later in the segment.

I'm glad NBC isn't being rewarded for giving her a platform.

Tamron Hall is so beautiful. Happy to see Megyn bomb in ratings. With that being said, why are people saying Megyn pushed out Tamron? I thought she left on her own from NBC.

Edit: I read that Megyn was given 9am slot which was Tamron and Al Rokers. I understand why Tamron left. I hope everything goes well with her new show.

LifEndz

I saw some promo of her doing some sort of martial arts type kicks and I thought it looked like an awful person trying to come off as likeable and silly.

Whoever thought Greta and Megyn would work on a news network not focused on catering to crazies and racists on the right needs to be fired.

Bring back Tamron.

jwhit28

I wonder if Fox would take her back. I'm sure they would love her doing a tell all about how the main stream media mistreated her because of her wholesome all-american beleifs.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Tamron Hall is so beautiful. Happy to see Megyn bomb in ratings. With that being said, why are people saying Megyn pushed out Tamron? I thought she left on her own from NBC.

CNN Article said:
Tamron Hall, a regular host on NBC's "Today" show and MSNBC, is leaving the network later this month.

Her departure was announced on Wednesday after days of contentious contract negotiations.

Hall had been the co-host of the 9 a.m. hour of the "Today" show and a daytime anchor on MSNBC. Last week executives informed Hall and the "Today" staff that the 9 a.m. hour was being canceled to make room for a new program led by former Fox News host Megyn Kelly.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/01/media/tamron-hall-leaving-nbc/index.html

As always, fuck NBC and Megyn Kelly.

televator

Isn't Oprah charismatic and extremely likeable if I understand her appeal

Megan Kelly doesn't seem like it

Well if you don’t like to go home, put on your white robe PJs, and sit in your confederate flag pattern lazy boy to tune into some Megyn Kelly on TV; then you probably wouldn’t see the appeal.

lenovox1

I wonder if Fox would take her back. I'm sure they would love her doing a tell all about how the main stream media mistreated her because of her wholesome all-american beleifs.

There's no love lost between her and her colleagues at Fox News. Following the NewsWeek article I posted thread, you'll find that Megyn Kelly was sort of iced out while she was finishing up her stint over at Fox News. This is after she came forward for sexual harassment allegations.

That and I don't know if the Murdock Brothers would take her back. Apparently, they wanted her to be the new face of Fox News, and she wanted to be the next Oprah.

idk man. it's not like they let megan kelly be megan kelly. they tried to rebrand her. it didnt work because she's awful.

This is exactly what Megyn Kelly wanted. The only person trying to rebrand her is her.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
You’re now on a major network and you’re possibly getting worse ratings than what you were getting when you were on cable TV?

giphy.gif

This neds to be updated with Tamron bopping in the back seat.

Fox News viewers aren't going to switch channel because Megyn left. Everyone else thinks she's a wicked shill.

So, good job, NBC. Real smart.

I pay literally zero attention to morning TV (and not much to TV in general), but am I seeing this right? They changed the name of "The Today Show", which to my perception is/was a fixture of morning TV since before I was born, to "Megyn Kelly Today"?

Is that right? Or did they do that for every host?

Either way, what the fuck were they thinking hiring her? And good to hear it isn't working out.

Neece

Worth pointing out that it's not just that NBC wanted to rebrand her, she wanted to rebrand herself. She went to NBC because they pretty much gave her free reign to brand herself however she wanted, and NBC obliged because of her perceived star value.

So it was Kelly's idea to shoehorn herself as a likable daytime host. She didn't want to be the conservative hawk anymore, she wanted to be liked. And as much as it speaks to NBC's incompetence by overvaluing (and misunderstanding) her success at Fox, it speaks just as loudly to Megyn's arrogance that she thought she could throw on a fake smile and dance a little, and that would be enough to dupe an audience into liking her.

I can imagine what the negotiations were like when Megyn insisted on having a daytime show.

"Megyn, you're popular and all but your talents might not be best suited for a daytime show. You have to be likable to fill that role."

"Hey I can be likable! How hard is it to be likable? You smile and make people feel good."

"Yeah but you've offended a lot of our demographics in the past, you know, with your 'new black panther party" and "santa is white" stuff."

"That was just politics. I'll tell everyone I'm done with that. Tell them all I can be the voice that helps bring people together. Black, white, yellow, green. All demographics."

"Green? Nevermind. So any ideas on how to reach out to those people?"

"I watched Ellen a few times. She dances a lot. I can be hip. I can be down. Put me in front of some black people and I'll show them how likable I can be."

8MYX56R.gif

Fladam

This is the same NBC that weaseled its way out of Conan's Tonight Show there is noooo waaaay this goes on for three years. They'll buy her out and she'll disappear for a bit.

Slayven

It's funny that she is dragging down the ratings of show where two 50 year old women get damn near blackout drunk everyday.

Kathy Lee and Hoda be getting LIT. I am shocked they don't just crack a bottle of everclear and have at it

Bob White

I just watched a clip from her first show and she says...

"I'm DONE with politics lol xD"

No, you fucking filthy uterus having slimy cunt. You can't be all like "Obummer is an Anti American terrorist who is out to take Christmas away from us!" then say, "Nah, I'm done." and turn into the next Ellen.

Sink hard, lady.

Shauni

She was one of the biggest faces of Fox News, during the years that helped build the alt-right we're dealing with today, and eventually Donald Trump as President. It's literally impossible to detach her identity from it. She made her bed and is sleeping in it now. You don't get to spread hate and lies for all those years and get accepted now as some all inclusive morning show host. Fuck her.

She felt burned after Donald attacked her directly as a woman. It only mattered when it affected her personally. Weird how that works huh

Oh, no argument from me, I was just clarifying the Alex Jones interview was from a different show

Megyn Kelly is only effective when she's mean and condescending. I saw her beat up on the usual list of FoxNews "enemies" (Blacks, liberals, feminists, etc) in a nasty, yet effective manner for 10 years.
Take away her platform for mean spirited comments, sarcastic quips and put-downs, and there is nothing distinctive about her on-screen personality.

lenovox1

Megyn Kelly is only effective when she's mean and condescending. I saw her beat up on the usual list of FoxNews "enemies" (Blacks, liberals, feminists, etc) in a nasty, yet effective manner for 10 years.
Take away her platform for mean spirited comments, sarcastic quips and put-downs, and there is nothing distinctive about her on-screen personality.

I've read suggestions on here that she should do a Donahue Style show (or very early Oprah, for those unfamiliar with Donahue) if she wants to do morning TV. That or she could pull a Barbara Walters and just copy The View like CBS did.

They either have to utilize her strengths or prop her up with actually compelling personalities.

Top Bottom