• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Messenger Bag Age- Timbuk2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey GAF. I am graduating in 2 months and am in need of a good messenger bag that will last. I will need something to hold my good stuff during my commutes. No laptop at the moment, but I expect one maybe down the line from work in the 15 inch size range. I want it to hold things like my phone, keys, possible NGP, kindle, and other assorted items.

I am leaning heavily on getting one of Timbuk2's custom bags. Made a nice looking one that's black with a blue stripe.

Some quick questions:

1) Are the waterproof panels worth the upgrade or is the line satisfactory enough.

2) I hate having my phone in my pocket and am interested in maybe also getting a shagg bag. Does it actually stay in place on the strap or would it slide down like the 2way does.

3) The strap pad is completely worth it right?

Thank you.

Fritz

Napoleonthechimp said:
I always feel like such a woman when carrying one of those things.

Rightfully so. This will be one of those trends where in ten years time everybody will be like: Ugh, what was I thinking. It looks so stupid. Mark my effin words.

Fritz said:
Rightfully so. This will be one of those trends where in ten years time everybody will be like: Ugh, what was I thinking. It looks so stupid. Mark my effin words.
Just curious, what do you propose guys use to carry stuff around? Backpacks? Briefcases? I got a messenger bag for super cheap while on vacation in New York City something around four years back and I've used it so much since picking it up because it's convenient having a quick bag to toss a book or something into when I'm going to be out for awhile during the day.

I'm not upset or being defensive. I'm merely curious. Despite insults I've had from strangers yelling out of cars and the like I don't feel the need to give up my messenger bag for the convenience it offers.

tetsuoxb

The_Inquisitor said:
Hey GAF. I am graduating in 2 months and am in need of a good messenger bag that will last. I will need something to hold my good stuff during my commutes. No laptop at the moment, but I expect one maybe down the line from work in the 15 inch size range. I want it to hold things like my phone, keys, possible NGP, kindle, and other assorted items.

I am leaning heavily on getting one of Timbuk2's custom bags. Made a nice looking one that's black with a blue stripe.

Some quick questions:

1) Are the waterproof panels worth the upgrade or is the line satisfactory enough.

2) I hate having my phone in my pocket and am interested in maybe also getting a shagg bag. Does it actually stay in place on the strap or would it slide down like the 2way does.

3) The strap pad is completely worth it right?

Thank you.

Have a few Timbuk2 bags, including one that turns 15 years old this year. Still going strong.

1) Inner is already lined and waterproof, so it just depends on how much protection you want, and how much damp cordura bothers you. Insides will not get wet in normal rain with the standard liner.

2) They are alright, but I find that my phone ends up in my pocket more often than in my bag.

3) Yes.

tomjr

I have a few bags from Timbuk2. I love them. The models I have are 2-3 years old, a mix of small classic messenger and commutes. They are not custom.

The classic messengers I own have ballistic nylon exteriors and a rubberish plastic lining that is waterproof. This was a standard feature for classic messengers.

I think commutes are great for laptops. They have a separate zippered corduroy padded laptop compartment and are a little larger than the small classic messenger. In addition, commute models have a carry handle where classic messengers don't. The lining is not waterproof, though.

Most of my bags came with a shoulder pad, but they were stiff and I never used them. Timbuk2 bags have fairly wide straps so you might be able to use them as they are.

Again, my bags are a little old so features on the current models may differ.

Fritz

Wibblewozzer said:
Just curious, what do you propose guys use to carry stuff around? Backpacks? Briefcases? I got a messenger bag for super cheap while on vacation in New York City something around four years back and I've used it so much since picking it up because it's convenient having a quick bag to toss a book or something into when I'm going to be out for awhile during the day.

I'm not upset or being defensive. I'm merely curious. Despite insults I've had from strangers yelling out of cars and the like I don't feel the need to give up my messenger bag for the convenience it offers.

If its for business' sake a briefcase. Otherwise a backpack or simply a bag. I personally often just carry stuff with my hands, like my wallet, a pack of cigarettes or a book, obviously no heavy stuff. Fanny packs are also super handy but you not gonna wear one of those. I am also not opposed to try something new fashion wise but these messenger bags are the most unstylish shit. they are the equivalent to sandals.

Fritz said:
If its for business' sake a briefcase. Otherwise a backpack or simply a bag. I personally often just carry stuff with my hands, like my wallet, a pack of cigarettes or a book, obviously no heavy stuff. Fanny packs are also super handy but you not gonna wear one of those. I am also not opposed to try something new fashion wise but these messenger bags are the most unstylish shit. they are the equivalent to sandals.

Funny cause I like messenger bags but despise sandals. To each his own. :)

rpg_poser

I have a non custom. Bought it at least 10 years ago, used it heavily during the time I was bicycle commuting 22 miles a day. I took it on long mountain bike rides when I knew I was going to be riding all day somewhere like Henry Coe Park. It looks almost new after all these years. Get the waterproof panels if you are going to be riding in heavy rain.
Moving on to fashion... I don't really care if something is fashionable or not. As with most bicycling apparel, it's great while you are riding, but is not comfortable for everday use.

Fritz said:
If its for business' sake a briefcase. Otherwise a backpack /b]or simply a bag. I personally often just carry stuff with my hands, like my wallet, a pack of cigarettes or a book, obviously no heavy stuff. Fanny packs are also super handy but you not gonna wear one of those. I am also not opposed to try something new fashion wise but these messenger bags are the most unstylish shit. they are the equivalent to sandals.

Then you look like you are 12.

To the OP, join their mailing list, every now & then they will send voucher codes out.

norinrad

I just ordered this from Amazon,

Starting a new job in May and would like to look more professional instead of moving around with a huge backpack. This job also requires me to wear a suit on a regular basis. The bag is awesome

51FH16Ouq5L._SS400_.jpg

from amazon

Weenerz

Banned
Norwegian Wood said:
I just ordered this from Amazon,

Starting a new job in May and would like to look more professional instead of moving around with a huge backpack. This job also requires me to wear a suit on a regular basis. The bag is awesome

51FH16Ouq5L._SS400_.jpg

from amazon

Aren't suitcases more professional looking than a purse? Are you a lady?

DXPett1

Crumpler have always been a winner for me whether it was a messenger bag (use one everyday to and from work for the past 5+ years) or camera bag!

Here is the updated version of what I current use...

ME22A_img07_nrm.jpg

ME22A_img05_nrm.jpg

http://www.booqbags.com/

These guys make amazing bags. Boyfriend got me one of their backpacks this last Christmas and it's been awesome. They're waterproof and have great cellphone holders built into the straps (on the backpacks anyways). They're great looking bags to boot and are really good at hiding what you're carrying. All I know is that I feel very secure carrying around half my life in my bag whenever I have to go into downtown Seattle. Boyfriend has had his for a long time and still uses it regularly and it looks brand new outside of a few design things the company has changed over the years.

milkham

i've had a small timbuk2 messenger since 2003, its still going strong even with monday-friday use since then.

Perhaps some of the subtleties of gender role signification in modern bag-wearing have eluded me, but I've always been under the impression that if you wear it over just the shoulder, it's a manpurse/man-bag/murse/whatever. If the strap goes around your neck as well and kind of comes down across your chest, it's all cool bro (I always thought these were called knapsacks, but according to wikipedia that's just another name for a rucksack...I guess messenger bag is the proper name for 'em).

It's all bullshit in the end; all it comes down to is male gender insecurity. A lot of GAF seems to see anything that's not a rucksack and immediately cry 'LOL manpurse!'

Me, I have a plain canvas haversack that I got from an army surplus store for a fiver. Army surplus is inherently manly, so I'm safe.
3AQmK.gif

justin.au

Mystery-white-boy said:
It's all bullshit in the end; all it comes down to is male gender insecurity. A lot of GAF seems to see anything that's not a rucksack and immediately cry 'LOL manpurse!'
3AQmK.gif
It's not about gender insecurity.

How many testicles do you have? Two. How many vaginas does a woman have? One.

Ergo, men's bags have two straps, and women's one. You can't argue with science.

_Bro

Banned
justin.au said:

Ergo, men's bags have two straps, and women's one. You can't argue with science.
this is some middle school bull shit

justin.au said:

simon-stunned.gif

justin.au said:

You sound threatened by a bag. Small cock?

panda21

its either backpacks that make you look 12 or messenger bags that make you look like a girl. guys just cant win

panda21 said:
its either backpacks that make you look 12 or messenger bags that make you look like a girl. guys just cant win

Guys win all the time. Guys who aren't sexually threatened by bags at least.

justin.au said:
You're the one attacking the man, bro.

My argument is flawless.

So small cock it is. Because your "argument" is pointless.

erm, bro. Wait, you ended a sentence with bro. Wow.

Tobor

panda21 said:
Messenger bags don't make you look like a girl. WTF?

OP, I've had a classic Timbuk2 messenger bag for 2 years. It's excellent.

Danielsan

Insecure "murse" GAF would have a field day in Europe. I think messenger bags look great and vastly prefer them to backpacks in every day life.

RayStorm

I wasn't aware that Indiana Jones is female.

But just for a change of pace: What I imagine to be the real bad thing about messenger bags is the "just one strap around one shoulder"-thing, if you actually pack some heavy things in your bag.

Seems to me that bags that distribute weight evenly across your body have a big advantage healthwise.

Danielsan

RayStorm said:
I wasn't aware that Indiana Jones is female.

But just for a change of pace: What I imagine to be the real bad thing about messenger bags is the "just one strap around one shoulder"-thing, if you actually pack some heavy things in your bag.

Seems to me that bags that distribute weight evenly across your body have a big advantage healthwise.
This is very much true and even became somewhat of an issue here in recent years. Highschool kids were all moving away from backpacks, but this raised concern as the heavy book filled bags are only being supported by a single shoulder. I believe it can result in health issues especially with kids.

Chorazin

I carry a Gravis Sidearm every single day, and fuck anyone who says it makes me "womanish."

I don't want my iPhone in my knife pocket or in my keys pocket, so it does in my bag along with anything else I need for the day.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I would laugh if I saw a dude walking around with a goddamn backpack on. Messenger bags are much more boss. Since I'm always taking my iPad out with me now I think I might invest in one. My pockets arent cutting it anymore.

norinrad

Chorazin said:
I carry a Gravis Sidearm every single day, and fuck anyone who says it makes me "womanish."

I don't want my iPhone in my knife pocket or in my keys pocket, so it does in my bag along with anything else I need for the day.

Don't mind them, I own a Jack (24) bag and i still use it regularly but i wanted something more professional.

Why some people are so insecure is beyond me.

What the fuck happened in this thread? I ended up ordering a medium classic bag that is black black navy along with a delux strap. Incredibly happy with purchase. God damn the thing is deceivingly big inside.

Fritz said:
Unless you're a lawyer or tool on wall street you're not gong to carry around a briefcase. And a backpack? You're one of those guys who wears te same clothes he wore in 7th grade, huh? Keep up the fight dude because people are laughing at you walking down te street juggling a phone, cigarettes and a book in your hands.

Smithy C

Everyone at uni seems to have these bags. It's mostly sort of nerdy people who still wear backpacks, like me. I just like having all my stuff pretty secure on my back instead of kind of swinging back and forth on my side.

Shurs

I just got one of these for my 17" Macbook Pro.

oPaQbOdgQj7cIRdhfjSkUPYTD2xRh3yGvlaJT9GopyGkeJ0AoXmvv1GSYd-cM3rkVoYhO0LkR1kqrYFLQdc7PAcBPVYy__R08sn2uSk0ZodHushs6iwzId_v5F33UjZV7m3q6lV13bXHlCJ9EdFSsXmD-zB4l3Bs8SIGQ9gSug41NnwxEG0Ltw7VRCj8ovjaOw

The thing is huge, but so is my laptop.

It's certainly not an "every day" bag due to its size, but I like it.

So many insecure dudes in this thread. Does it irk you that women wear pants, too?

Use whatever you want to carry what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom