• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Messenger Bag Age- Timbuk2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
Tapiozona said:
I find no need to carry around a Dell laptop or a Motorola Xoom, hipsters and sheep do. Not sure why. I'd love to know what you do for a living which requires your home laptop and ipad2 to be with you everywhere you go. I guess a trip to starbucks requires it. But odds are you're driving so you could just carry it from the car to the table. Not that far.

Uh, dude. Most of us that have laptops at work are REQUIRED to take them home with us and NOT leave them lying around overnight at the office.

Tapiozona

Banned
Hands. If you're driving to work, carry it in your hands. If you bike or whatever, so be it, but come on. Those man purses are just lame.

I can't even think of a single person at my work who uses that. It's either a brief case or hands.

Tapiozona

Banned
Cause I'm hungry.

Plus without people like me ("regular society") telling you what you should and shouldn't use to transport your electronics, you can't rebel against me and be a hipster. Without me, there is no you.

I had one of these in college btw.

BorkBork said:
I have a Roots leather Raider bag.

18050164_2400_d_475x475.jpg

Good enough for my 13'' laptop and notebooks.
that bag looks amazing.

where can I get this?

Man, here I was thinking about why so many men dress like boys, perplexed by the few reasons I could think of. There are resources all around the internet on how to present yourself well as any man should. Never mind examples from the past, or in media. Then I come across a thread like this where some people are complaining about something as asinine as the effeminacy of bags or how only fucking sheep or hipsters use it. It serves a use: most people need to carry laptops, notebooks, among other things and they don't want to look like boy scouts doing it. Oh well, I'm just gonna ignore those trolling and post some bags I like.

I really like some of the vintage Hartmann Tweed bags on eBay. True, they may have been intended as luggage, but I think some carry-ons can work well as everyday laptop bags.

On the high end, I'm lusting after these hand-crafted canvas parachute bags. $200 may seem a lot but, if you think about it, they're pretty cheap for quality bags that can last a lifetime.

I only carry a cheap Gap messenger bag ripping at its seams as of this moment =(. Saving up slowly though

Burger

Tapiozona said:
Hands. If you're driving to work, carry it in your hands. If you bike or whatever, so be it, but come on. Those man purses are just lame.

I can't even think of a single person at my work who uses that. It's either a brief case or hands.

Yet a briefcase is less functional than any one of these bags, except if you are transporting a pile of paper and some pens.

Face it, you only use a briefcase to further your attempt to fit in with who you value as your peers, you poor poor shallow thing.

Derwind

Burger said:
Yet a briefcase is less functional than any one of these bags, except if you are transporting a pile of paper and some pens.

Face it, you only use a briefcase to further your attempt to fit in with who you value as your peers, you poor poor shallow thing.

There are also hybrids like this:

high-quali-leather-computer-bag-briefcase-messenger-bag-f0e82.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Tobor said:
Which ones?
Can't decide which size Satchel bag, either large or medium.
I need to draw out the dimensions to visualize it a bit.

Also, I'm really drawn to the small travel case for some reason.
Both in dark brown.

I really like how they can change into a backpack. Just in case.

rbenchley

I work for a Fortune 500 company and almost everyone (CEO included) uses a messenger bag rather than a briefcase because we need to be able to carry our laptops with us.

Amagon

Can anyone recommend a nice sleek water-resistant backpack so I can use it when I'm on my motorcycle??? Trying to stay away from getting a messenger bag, already own the yellow Mirror's Edge bag! ^_^

santouras

not mine but I have the same style/colour. People that think messenger bags are unmanly are hilarious. I always get compliments on it, saddleback bags are just so freaking good.

ic4i2d.jpg

I just got a messenger bag a few days ago and I'm loving it. Keeps my electronics separate from gym clothes and other stuff, not sure how I got along without it.

Dead Man

Didn't we have this topic last year? And we agreed that messenger backs are superior for people that need frequent access to their stuff, or use public transport, but backpacks are superior when walking long distances, or carrying heavy gear?

def sim

Messenger bags are suuuuper easy to carry. Being insecure about carrying one at the cost of comfort is really dumb.

jacket320

santouras said:
not mine but I have the same style/colour. People that think messenger bags are unmanly are hilarious. I always get compliments on it, saddleback bags are just so freaking good.

ic4i2d.jpg

so glad to see the saddleback love in this thread. I don't have a bag - yet - but I've got a wallet and its great

edit: also, if you think its too expensive then wait until something comes up under "Dave's Deals" at a discount

Jayge

rance said:
Messenger bags are suuuuper easy to carry. Being insecure about carrying one at the cost of comfort is really dumb.
I'm sorry but... that argument can be taken into too deep of a hole to climb out from.

crocs%20suck.JPG

santouras

jacket320 said:
so glad to see the saddleback love in this thread. I don't have a bag - yet - but I've got a wallet and its great

edit: also, if you think its too expensive then wait until something comes up under "Dave's Deals" at a discount
yeah I'd love to get more. I also got the passport holder which is real swank

T-Matt

jacket320 said:

I'm thinking about getting one of their wallets which one do you have?

Josh7289

Shurs said:
I just got one of these for my 17" Macbook Pro.

oPaQbOdgQj7cIRdhfjSkUPYTD2xRh3yGvlaJT9GopyGkeJ0AoXmvv1GSYd-cM3rkVoYhO0LkR1kqrYFLQdc7PAcBPVYy__R08sn2uSk0ZodHushs6iwzId_v5F33UjZV7m3q6lV13bXHlCJ9EdFSsXmD-zB4l3Bs8SIGQ9gSug41NnwxEG0Ltw7VRCj8ovjaOw

The thing is huge, but so is my laptop.

It's certainly not an "every day" bag due to its size, but I like it.
I have this exact color! I used it while in Japan earlier this year. It's sturdy and looks good.

def sim

Jayge said:
I'm sorry but... that argument can be taken into too deep of a hole to climb out from.

crocs%20suck.JPG

I'm rocking the messenger bag and gel.. foot things all day. It's cool because I'm doing it ironically.

Good point, jerk.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I got given roughly this one (with a smaller adidas logo).

quite like it. it's leather and big enough for stuff.. I was hesitant from an 'omg ladypurse' perspective, but fuck it, it's convenient as fuck. I look like more of a grown up with work atire than when I wore a backpack.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I researched the Saddlebacks for a while when I was looking for a bag. Soooo nice but just too expensive. That fullhide leather will just look more and more awesome after a few decades years of use too (the warranty's 100 years).

Used to be a backpack elitist. Currently rocking this. Customized on the Timbuk2 website. Been using it for just over half a year. Probably the best bag I've ever had.

sovjb.jpg

IrishNinja

Lunchbox said:
true

Backpacks > purses

if you guys can show me a backpack that's nearly as sharp as the bauer-bag there, i'm down. most are way too big or look like they're for kids. i can dig one for travelling, but around town, most backpacks look kinda foolish.

norinrad

IrishNinja said:
if you guys can show me a backpack that's nearly as sharp as the bauer-bag there, i'm down. most are way too big or look like they're for kids. i can dig one for travelling, but around town, most backpacks look kinda foolish.

and childish how can you rock a suit while holding a backpack? It ridiculous and looks silly for a grown man

Smithy C

Norwegian Wood said:
and childish how can you rock a suit while holding a backpack? It ridiculous and looks silly for a grown man
But then it's the same as people having the "man-purses"; People not wearing them think it's womanly or teenager-ish or hipster-ish or something that other people might think is 'ridiculous'. It all matters on what the person wearing the bag thinks. To be annoyed that people say bags are womanly or something means you probably shouldn't be calling backpacks childish.

mcrae

Fritz said:
If its for business' sake a briefcase. Otherwise a backpack or simply a bag. I personally often just carry stuff with my hands, like my wallet, a pack of cigarettes or a book, obviously no heavy stuff. Fanny packs are also super handy but you not gonna wear one of those. I am also not opposed to try something new fashion wise but these messenger bags are the most unstylish shit. they are the equivalent to sandals.

did this guy just diss messenger bags and propose fanny packs as a realistic replacement? lol

or of course use a regular bag instead. wtf is a regular bag, a grocery bag?

milkham

mcrae said:
did this guy just diss messenger bags and propose fanny packs as a realistic replacement? lol

or of course use a regular bag instead. wtf is a regular bag, a grocery bag?

yeah, real men carry their stuff in a brown paper bag and when that is inappropriate they fold everything into their tshirt sleeve

Fritz

IrishNinja said:

I think this Asos model looks great.
image1xxl.jpg

Sorry for the enormous pic.

I am using a vintage Adidas backpack if I really need the convenience, similar to this one:
41oJji54f0L._SL125_.jpg

I'm probably gonna open up my friend list for the first time and add everyone in here who's with me on the carrier-bags-are-fugly thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom