• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Messenger Bag Age- Timbuk2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Smithy C said:
Everyone at uni seems to have these bags. It's mostly sort of nerdy people who still wear backpacks, like me. I just like having all my stuff pretty secure on my back instead of kind of swinging back and forth on my side.
You make it sound like a messenger bag is going to somehow throw everything inside of it on the ground.

Enron

Banned
I've had an Osprey messenger/laptop bag for 3 years now. Use it for work. Wanted something that could function as more than a laptop bag, its got expandable sections and can hold a shaving kit and a day or two worth of clothes.

If you are a dude and you've left school for the professional world, messenger bags become a bit of a necessity if you want to use your laptop bag for more than just your laptop. I do think that the fancier you get, though, the more you veer into womanly-handbag territory, so if you care about something like that just keep it simple.

PS - don't buy an Osprey bag. Handle tore through about a year and a half ago.

Davidion

Yeah I'll wait for this trend to die out; it's only been 15 years, how much longer could it possibly take?

I have a timbuk2, but would rather trade up to a Chrome mostly for aesthetics. Construction-wise there's nothing wrong with them at all, they're entirely solid.

Might trade up to a leather bag like the one Norwegian Wood posted earlier, bags have to grow up with the man.

Totakeke

tkqq9.jpg

N8zG8.jpg

Got one of the Ernest Alexander messengers while they were still cheaper, there's very little things that I would splurge that much for, but this one felt worth it.

I think people who despise using any bags probably drive themselves everywhere and don't live in the city. I don't know how you survive without having a functional bag if you don't have your own car.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
The problem isn't that they look like purses (even though they do), its that they are ugly as sin. Just get a briefcase.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
siddx said:
The problem isn't that they look like purses (even though they do), its that they are ugly as sin. Just get a briefcase.
But then you actually have to hold it.

I like how a briefcase with a shoulder strap throws so many guys into a tizzy.

Not that I necessarily disagree, as some bags are extremely feminine looking, but come on guys, this is the 21st century. Do we really need this conversation still?

I'd personally like to get one of those one-strap sling bags. I'll have to look into that one day. The only one I have was one I got as a promotional thing from Cox a while back.

Fritz said:
Rightfully so. This will be one of those trends where in ten years time everybody will be like: Ugh, what was I thinking. It looks so stupid. Mark my effin words.
salva said:
Never was into a murses. I'd rather take my backpack
justin.au said:
It's not about gender insecurity.

How many testicles do you have? Two. How many vaginas does a woman have? One.

Ergo, men's bags have two straps, and women's one. You can't argue with science.
Messenger bags are great and extremely gender neutral. I don't know what kind of purse your mom has but most women don't carry huge rectangular satchels with a cover flap and buckles strung across their chest. Backpacks aren't only childish but they're terribly designed for what a lot of people use messenger bags for. You'll have your crap pick-pocketed quicker than shit carrying a backpack around NYC and god forbid you want to pull something out of that backpack while walking down a busy street. Messenger bags are safely stored under your arm with the contents under a buckled flap and provide near instant easy access to everything without having to stop and pull something off your back.

pOnJ6s.jpg
=/=
0GvBrs.jpg

gcubed

i actually am retiring my timbuk2 that i had through college and need to get a nice leather one for commuting to work in the city. Damn the nice ones are expensive. anything nice/leather and under 250/300?

Anyone have any messenger bag recommendations for under $70?

Some of these bags look great but I'm not up for spending hundreds of dollars just yet :-/

AlexMogil

418gWhvgcWL.jpg

This one is mine. Strap is long enough to go over the head althouhg I never use it like that. Carries my MacBook 15, iPad, my drives, mouse, power, folders with paper, all the necessities for work. If this one dies I would buy another.

It is considered their cheap line of stuff but I like the color and shape. I don't buy stuff for labels, I don't live on a fashion runway.

I can grab the handle to quickly move or use the strap to take it a distance. Works perfectly for me. I used to use a SwissGear backpack and while it was certainly capable of what I needed, it was too heavy and I tended to pack stuff I really didn't need. So it tended to rip my shoulder off. This bag makes sense, looks professional, and is comfortable.

I have two Timbuk2 bags, both size Small, and are usually my go-to bags when going to conventions or while traveling.

One is just a simple navy ballistic nylon (strap pad is also navy) that I got in college. It easily held all of my textbooks, my laptop, a Nalgene water bottle, phone, wallet, keys and other misc. items.

My other is this one that I got recently (completely custom but was on sale through Gilt):
IMG_2966.jpg

Holds the same as my navy one, though maybe a bit more due to how the pockets are set up.

MC Safety

I tote around a Fable III messenger bag.

I can live with people thinking it's a manpurse.

Anyway, the Timbuk bags are fine, but make sure you get a padded strap. The non-padded straps will cut into your neck/shoulder blades something fierce. Especially if you're carrying something heavy.

Fritz said:
If its for business' sake a briefcase. Otherwise a backpack or simply a bag. I personally often just carry stuff with my hands, like my wallet, a pack of cigarettes or a book, obviously no heavy stuff. Fanny packs are also super handy but you not gonna wear one of those. I am also not opposed to try something new fashion wise but these messenger bags are the most unstylish shit. they are the equivalent to sandals.

I guess if you never have to face the elements that works for you. My commute includes about 15 - 20 minutes walking outside. Where plenty of times it rains or snows or something else I'd rather not expose something like a book, mp3 player, or what ever to. For anyone who commutes and has to deal with a subway or a train people with huge ass backpacks are serious pains in the ass. They never seem to have any idea of the fact that they're backpack extends 18+ inches behind them. Or just how much space their backpack takes up. For carrying my lunch, book, and what ever else I'm taking to work a simple messenger bag just works so much easier for me. I don't care about being stylish, I care about convenience and not being obnoxious to the other people riding the subway/train/whatever with me.

gcubed

Shin Johnpv said:
I guess if you never have to face the elements that works for you. My commute includes about 15 - 20 minutes walking outside. Where plenty of times it rains or snows or something else I'd rather not expose something like a book, mp3 player, or what ever to. For anyone who commutes and has to deal with a subway or a train people with huge ass backpacks are serious pains in the ass. They never seem to have any idea of the fact that they're backpack extends 18+ inches behind them. Or just how much space their backpack takes up. For carrying my lunch, book, and what ever else I'm taking to work a simple messenger bag just works so much easier for me. I don't care about being stylish, I care about convenience and not being obnoxious to the other people riding the subway/train/whatever with me.

and you look like a 5 year old with a backpack while wearing a suit

El Sloth

Banned
Haha at this thread. GAF isn't nearly as liberal as it likes to think it is.
MC Safety said:
I tote around a Fable III messenger bag.

I can live with people thinking it's a manpurse.

Anyway, the Timbuk bags are fine, but make sure you get a padded strap. The non-padded straps will cut into your neck/shoulder blades something fierce. Especially if you're carrying something heavy.
Unfortunately I didn't think about this before getting my murse. Anyone know good/cheap standalone shoulder pads to buy ?

My murse for reference:
Kw60C.jpg

things, and bags to put things in are the domain of women. if it doesnt fit in your wallet, or attach to your belt (you do wear a belt right?), you aren't supposed to take it along with you.

Oh whats that you say, you need your schoolbooks? You are supposed to memorize that shit at home, like a man. Imagine how manly you will be when the professor asks you where your book is and you point to your skull, "right here" you say.

Knife, matches, and money, this is all you need. Become a man today!

justin.au said:

Ergo, men's bags have two straps, and women's one. You can't argue with science.

I only have one, can I use a messenger bag?

flippeh

Brenthaven ProStyle II-XF. Use it for carrying my work macbook and other junk. Also works pretty good for the odd business trips I have to take. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works well.

51IQhXmuyML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Enco said:
Hell yeah, the Jack Sack!

jack-bauer-manpurse.jpg

I got one of those from some 'military surplus' website years ago. Used it for about four years until it just fell apart lol. I loved it. Got a hell of a lot of use out of it for a $20 bag.

El Sloth said:
Haha at this thread. GAF isn't nearly as liberal as it likes to think it is.

Unfortunately I didn't think about this before getting my murse. Anyone know good/cheap standalone shoulder pads to buy ?

My murse for reference:
I actually have the green version of this bag. Same problem with the shoulder strap. That and the small front pocket lining tore inside at the bottom seam all the way across a month after I got it. Bummer :(

Still like the bag, but I find a
good looking
backpack generally works better for me personally. Though seeing yours makes me want to use it again every once in a while... might have to try and fix the lining... Booqbag all the way though. such a good looking bag.

LProtag

I think I want to get a Chrome bag. What size would I need for just tossing in my laptop and a bunch of books for school, along with random other stuff. Is the small a decent enough size for everyday use?

DemiMatt

I just bought an oversized fanny pack and wear ti like a messenger bag.
(bottom right but in the green colorway)

I really like it, living in a city its rgeat not having to carry around a giant backpack for little things and it holds everything I need. I think its a great medium between a backpack and a messenger bag.

stussy-deluxe-master-piece-collection.jpg

Burger

Thread is full of dickheads thinking they look like Don Draper with their briefcase full of important business papers.

InsertNameHere said:
I think I want to get a Chrome bag. What size would I need for just tossing in my laptop and a bunch of books for school, along with random other stuff. Is the small a decent enough size for everyday use?

I've got the Medium sized one (Citizen) years ago. Here are a few pics to get an idea of the size:

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

(this one's an inner pocket)
IMG_0404.jpg

Lunchbox

Banned
justin.au said:

true

Backpacks > purses

Enco

Copernicus said:
Are you graduating in 2005? I hear they are making awesome 24 replica bags now.
I've been wanting a new one and after this thread jogged my memory I decided the 24 bag was a solid option.

To the guy talking about the insecurity stuff, there's no problem with not liking this style but being afraid that it's 'a woman's bag' and that others will think negatively is kinda silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom