• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Messenger Bag Age- Timbuk2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lijik

Fritz said:
Rightfully so. This will be one of those trends where in ten years time everybody will be like: Ugh, what was I thinking. It looks so stupid. Mark my effin words.
Having used a backpack to carry around my laptop last summer, I assure you my new messenger back gets me more chicks than my sweatyass back ever did.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I support the use/wear of Chrome bags. I think the medium sized Citizen is the way to go.

It is so nice when you are riding around the city and need to buy a few groceries.

Burger

DtpnR.jpg

Ristretto shoulder bag from Tom Bihn in Seattle (it's about iPad size).

Hee Goer from Crumpler in Australia. Fits my 15" laptop great.

xxracerxx said:
I support the use/wear of Chrome bags. I think the medium sized Citizen is the way to go.

It is so nice when you are riding around the city and need to buy a few groceries.

Yep, as sometimes I forget how cavernous it can be once I start loading stuff into it. Add in using the support strap and that bag will not move until you unbuckle it.

Mononofu

Totakeke said:

<3

This is the best bag I've seen so far, no ugly logo plastered on the front. Kinda rich for my blood though. If loving messenger bags are wrong I don't want to be right.

DXPett1 said:
Crumpler have always been a winner for me whether it was a messenger bag (use one everyday to and from work for the past 5+ years) or camera bag!

Here is the updated version of what I current use...

[bags]
I like Crumpler bags as well...I have a regular everyday messenger ('The Soupansalad'), a laptop messenger for work ('The Considerable Embarrassment'), and just recently got a camera messenger from them ('The 5-Million Dollar Home').

Tapiozona

Banned
Messenger bags are for Hipsters and Apple Sheep (Obviously there's a lot of crossover with those two).

Please don't buy one. You look like a douche and yes people are making fun of you.

Darko

Tapiozona said:
Messenger bags are for Hipsters and Apple Sheep (Obviously there's a lot of crossover with those two).

Please don't buy one. You look like a douche and yes people are making fun of you.

how will I carry my stuff? :(

:lol @ Messenger bags being for hipsters, sheep, blah blah blah blah blah.

I totally want Sam Fisher's bag from Conviction though. I use a plain black Adidas messenger bag that holds my Macbook Pro well enough that keeps me pretty organized. /applehipstersheephahahahaha

xxracerxx

Tapiozona said:

It is basically the modern-day briefcase.

You must live somewhere in the mid-west if you think people are making fun of them.

Tobor

Tapiozona said:

You just fold up your manly Dell laptop and put it in your man sized pants pocket, I assume?

Sorry, Motorola Xoom owners, the bag to carry it in isn't available, apparently. Lol.

Where does all this insecurity come from?

Tapiozona

Banned
Tobor said:
You just fold up your manly Dell laptop and put it in your man sized pants pocket, I assume?

Sorry, Motorola Xoom owners, the bag to carry it in isn't available, apparently. Lol.

Where does all this insecurity come from?

I find no need to carry around a Dell laptop or a Motorola Xoom, hipsters and sheep do. Not sure why. I'd love to know what you do for a living which requires your home laptop and ipad2 to be with you everywhere you go. I guess a trip to starbucks requires it. But odds are you're driving so you could just carry it from the car to the table. Not that far.

Maybe if you're a student...But backpacks are for students and if you're wearing a messenger bag, people are laughing.

It's funny cause when I entered this thread I was actually looking for you to say you had one, Tobor..no offense. Just the supreme apple love and all.

Not sure why I have this hate for messenger bags and other things. I must have been scarred somewhere along the way.

xxracerxx

Tapiozona said:
I find no need to carry around a Dell laptop or a Motorola Xoom, hipsters and sheep do. Not sure why. I'd love to know what you do for a living which requires your home laptop and ipad2 to be with you everywhere you go. I guess a trip to starbucks requires it. But odds are you're driving so you could just carry it from the car to the table. Not that far.

Maybe if you're a student...But backpacks are for students and if you're wearing a messenger bag, people are laughing.

It's funny cause when I entered this thread I was actually looking for you to say you had one, Tobor..no offense. Just the supreme apple love and all.
My job requires me to take my laptop to presentations and meetings. I am usually on my bike so where if not in the bag am I supposed to carry my laptop?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It's all about the canvas pullstring backpack with tons of leather straps and doodads to hang flasks or waterbottles on, then on in the inside you can sew in your own laptop compartments or pipe cases, etc.

Tellin' you guys, CANVAS BACKPACK. It's the shit.

f0rk

Tapiozona said:

You should come to a UK university some time.

xxracerxx

Vandiger said:
$500 man purse, eh? I guess when it comes to purses it serious business to look fashionable.
Where is a messenger bag that costs $500 and isn't made by shit houses like louis vuitton?

Tobor

Tapiozona said:

Not sure why I have this hate for messenger bags and other things. I must have been scarred somewhere along the way.
That much is clear. Haha

numble

I like my Spire bag from 2008. I don't know why they make fewer things these days, must not be doing good business, though their customer service is excellent--they're sending me a free replacement strap just because I told them my shoulder cushion is a bit frayed.

Burger

Tapiozona said:

You must be a joy in person.

LProtag

Damn, that medium sized bag is pretty huge. Do you find it awkward to wear when it's not full though, or is it just as comfortable? Might have to pay the extra 20 bucks for all that space.

Edit:

I have this right now.

Vv4Fs.jpg

It looks nice and I'd probably use it for some stuff, but I can't fit a lot of stuff in it if I'm going to be out all day. Since I'll probably end up going to grad school in a city, I figure a bigger bag would be well worth it.

InsertNameHere said:
Damn, that medium sized bag is pretty huge. Do you find it awkward to wear when it's not full though, or is it just as comfortable? Might have to pay the extra 20 bucks for all that space.

When empty, you definitely notice it, especially after hauling a lot of stuff around but it's not terribly awkward as 95% of it is against your back. It's definitely able to carry as much as my backpacks (2 North Face ones and 1 Crumpler) while being much more comfortable in the summertime due to how the bag is designed. Either way, the wide shoulder strap is a godsend compared to the Timbuk2 one (even with the shoulder pad) when carrying a full pack.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I have a Roots leather Raider bag.

18050164_2400_d_475x475.jpg

Good enough for my 13'' laptop and notebooks.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Not sure why people keep replying to what are some pretty poor attempts at trolling.

xxracerxx

Auron_Kale said:
When empty, you definitely notice it, especially after hauling a lot of stuff around but it's not terribly awkward as 95% of it is against your back. It's definitely able to carry as much as my backpacks (2 North Face ones and 1 Crumpler) while being much more comfortable in the summertime due to how the bag is designed. Either way, the wide shoulder strap is a godsend compared to the Timbuk2 one (even with the shoulder pad) when carrying a full pack.
Not too mention it is waterproof up the ying-yang.

Alucrid

Banned
rummy.jpg

What I use day to day. I had a small chrome one for a while which I ditched once they started to pop up everywhere. Didn't fit my 15'' macbook pro that well either.

h1nch

<3 my chrome bag. I love how they sit on your back like a backpack. Its a lot more comfortable that way.

Tobor

I've been looking at the Saddleback website, and looking at video reviews. Man, that stuff is top notch. I may have to hint that I want one for my birthday.

Jayge

Ignoring the trolls, people seriously saying they're for women, that only losers wear them, etc. etc. should hitch a ride off the farm and explore the Big City™ once in a while.

I don't need one of these yet since I don't have to take a laptop to work at the moment, but it's getting to where I need to take one of those shitty little nylon pull-close backpacks with me to hold some of my notebooks/my kindle/my water bottle and I envy messenger bag users. My commute includes walking, driving, taking an aboveground train and taking a subway, and I could definitely use one in at least 3 out of those 4 environments. This thread has put out a lot of great suggestions. Thanks, bros. (I ended a sentence with bros? Who does that. Me, fuckers. That's who.)

gcubed

Tapiozona said:

Sure if you're hitching a ride with your mom to your shift at McDonald's you may not see the use

Alucrid

Banned
Tapiozona said:

Well bike to school...bring laptop to school...messenger bag is the easiest rout. I don't really see why people would be laughing at me. Should I go out and buy another backpack too just to bring to school? Oh, I know. Put a backpack in my messenger bag, then when I get to school put the messenger bag in my backpack. That way I look cool for school, right?

xxracerxx said:

Hells yeah brah. I gotsta keep my street cred and all if they're gonna be the next the north face. (but really it was because it wouldn't fit my laptop that well) ((I also regret getting a macbook pro))

hteng

Banned
what the hell at some people dissing messenger bags, don't all laptops come with messenger bags? anyone that works in the tech industry almost always use a messenger bag, from on-site support to presentations, it looks more professional imo. It's not even remotely hipster or sheep. for the record im looking for a messenger bag that's big enough to fit my 17incher.

I use Dexter's bag. Other Oakley bags seem nice as well
68300132-260x260-0-0_Oakley+Oakley+SI+Computer+Bag+Messenger+Bag.jpg

The bag in particular is a bit bigger than I originally assumed, so no confusing it with a purse like those skinny carry-alls people are posting. For some reason, space seems at a premium with this guy, but it fits a lap top, OEM head phones, video games, documents, and whatever else you want.

I think it makes you look like you get shit done. Cameraman, scientist, who know what you do.

ShadiWulf

I just ordered a Timbuk2 D-lux messenger medium today. My backpack started falling apart (been wanting to ditch it for a while now and this was the perfect excuse to give myself)

Got a good deal for it on amazon. Didn't pay anywhere near full price. Should be here by the end of the week :)

41Oj1wnLuOL._SX342_.jpg

I like the colors for the most part, worried about the bright green/yellow stripe, but it's not a deal breaker at all, especially for the price I got it at.

oh and I know theres people who will laugh at me for getting this but well.. I like it :) That's all that matters to me.

Class_A_Ninja said:
Oakley Messenger Bag.jpg[IMG]
[/quote]

Don't have that model but one like it. It was really good but mine had plastic clips rather than metal to connect the shoulder strap. It would squeek a fair bit so I sewed on a metal clip which didn't. The bag was so large though that it was somewhat of a hassle riding to uni with it on, so I stopped using it. Bought a chrome mini metro 2nd hand off a friend when he found he wanted a bigger bag and bought the mid-sized version.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ax26F.png

Really pleased with it. Not sure whether I would have been willing to pay full price for it given that the shipping to aus would be $40-50 alone even before the $130 for the bag itself, but second hand for $70 dollars, who could say no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom