• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

NAk59my.png

Developer: Platinum Games
Publisher: Konami
Platforms: PC
Release Date: January 9th, 2014
Nanomachines? Son.

tGGNhxr.png

War. War has changed. Four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4 and the fall of the Sons of the Patriots, the world has fallen into chaos. Cyborg technology, formerly reserved for the best soldiers and the highest bidders is now commonplace, and PMC factions are more prevalent than ever. Players must guide cyborg ninja Raiden on a quest spanning the globe to take back what's rightfully his. Most of the action will come from using Raiden's signature High Frequency (or HF) Blade to cut what you will, at will. Your goals: Redemption. Revolution. Revengeance.

Make.

It.

Right.

4yflMbl.png

Producer Yuji Korekado said:
"It was obvious we had to go to Platinum, but it's still in the Metal Gear Solid timeline. The cutscenes are looked over by Kojima Productions and the script is written by us, so they should all resemble something very similar to what you'll have experienced in the past."

You heard that, folks. This game is 100% canon. No matter how much you deny it or insist otherwise, this game is a permanent part of the Metal Gear Solid timeline. Now that that's out of the way, let's actually talk about the story.

As mentioned before, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance takes place four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Former child soldier-turned-spy-turned-cyborg ninja Raiden is forced into working for various Private Military Corps (or PMCs) both to support his family (it's like they say; a soldier only feels truly at home on the battlefield) and to quell his inner bloodlust that developed as a result of his harrowing past.

Our story begins in the African nation of Abkhazia, where Raiden has been assigned to protect the President, a man by the name of N'Mani. Things go awry however when a rival PMC group attacks their convoy, kills N'Mani, and cripples Raiden. After receiving an upgraded and updated cyborg body, Raiden swears
re
vengeance on his assailants and heads back to Abkhazia to finish what he started.

KIt3XCl.png

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeances's characters are alligned with one of two large PMC factions: Maverick Security Counselling Ltd. or Desperado Enforcement LLC.

c3dAIVl.png

Raiden is the hero of the story and the player character. Four years ago he swore to hang up his sword for good and become a family man but has slipped back into the killing business due to the emergence of a bloodthirsty split personality, known as Jack the Ripper, due to his childhood on the battlefield. Boris Vyacheslavovich Popov is the head of Maverick SCL as well as Raiden's mentor and old friend. He acts as mission control during field missions, dispatching objectives and valuable tips over the codec. Kevin Washington (nicknamed "Kev-of-all-trades" due to his active role in Maverick) is the sarcastic, snarky half of Raiden's support team. His jobs in Maverick included briefing preparations, arms procurement, client negotiation, Human Resource management (HR), business development, accounting, and, during the events of Abkhazia, sales, on-site coordination, and advisor work. Seems to have an odd infatuation with coffee. Courtney Collins, who joined Maverick on recommendation from Kevin, serves as data analyst and allows Raiden to save his game via codec calls. Has an oddly clumsy disposition. Wilhelm Voigt, better known as Herr Doktor, is the R&D lead for the team, as well as the man who created Raiden's new body. Although he may seem obsessive to the point of creepiness, Raiden can purchase new upgrades and moves from him using the data files stored in cyborgs' left arms. Sunny Emmerich is Raiden's raison d'être. It was the selfless act of sacrificing himself to the Patriots in exchange for her freedom that caused him to become a cyborg in the first place, and she's always willing to lend Raiden a hand as a result.

dJopjWO.png

Jetstream Sam Rodriguesis the object of Radien's desire (in a totally non-sexual way). During their first encounter in Abkhazia, Sam sliced off Raiden's left arm and gouged out his eye, resulting in the failure of his mission and the emergence of his split personality. Sam is a mercenary working with the Winds of Destruction, the title given to the four heads of Desperado, and periodically shows up to taunt Raiden or wax philisophical. Fights using Murasama, a blood-red HF Blade that can superheat itself to astronical temperatures. Sundowner is the boisterous southern-accented field leader of the Winds of Destruction who is responsible of the death of President N'Mani. His custom matte trenchcoat conceals three pairs of fractal heat shields, which he can use to deflect attacks and protect himself. He fights using Bloodlust, a pair of machetes that can be combined into pincer shears. Monsoon is an enigmatic warrior who takes a personal interest in Raiden, and views their violent and bloodstained pasts and ruthlessness on the battlefield as a sign on kinship. Also notable for having an awesome battle theme. Fights using Dystopia, a pair of tactical sai equipped with electromagnetic manipulators. Mistral is somewhat of a drifter, who lives for conflict and only feels content on the battlefield. She oversees the coup in Abkhazia and fights using L'Etranger, a series of Dwarf Gekko arms linked together to form a flexible pole arm. LQ-84i (or Bladewolf) used to be a prototype AI with the purpose of defending Abkhazia's freedom at all costs, but was hijacked and repurposed by Desperado into a weapon of destruction. After his defeat at the hands of Raiden, Bladewolf is reprogrammed by Herr Doktor to serve as a battlefield companion for Raiden, providing reconnaissance information and occasionally fighting alongside him.

ZZCoOYG.png

qjVR9q1.png
BNvXwl7.png
YF6fqhC.png
zpQsM0g.png
WiyTP7a.png
71uYZlw.png
bY4nnsU.png
4ozmAh9.png
KwQwh4S.png

wUdxwcs.png

• Boss Rush mode
  • Both DLC missions, Jetstream and Bladewolf, are included
  • Watch cutscenes using the ingame theatre
  • Replay codecs at any time from the main menu
  • Start stages at any point you want. No more playing through an entire stage just to fight the boss!
  • Minor bug fixes and gameplay tweaks
FAQ said:
Is this game really 60 FPS?

Yes. It feels like 60 FPS because it is.

How do I perform X move?

There's an in-game movelist, but the first video linked above also does a nice job of teaching you everything.

Is this game canon? I don't want it to be.

First of all; suck it up. Second of all; yes, it has been confirmed many times by Platinum and KojiPro staffers alike that this game is a 100% concrete part of the MGS canon, and no amount of whining or pretending is going to change that.

How do I get S-Ranks?

The game ranks you in five categories: damage taken, highest combo, time spent in battle, number of zandatsus (spine rips) performed, and BP accrued by slicing off limbs. Do well in each of those categories so that your score totals over 5000 (4000 for bosses) and you're golden.

How many stages does this game have?

Eight, numbered 00-07.

How many weapons are in this game?

This'll be spoiler tagged to minimize disaster:

-HF Blade (default)
-Wooden Sword (non-lethal)
-Stun Blade
-Armor Piercer
-HF Machete
-L'Etranger
-Dystopia
-Bloodlust
-Muramasa
-Snake Soul Wooden Sword (DLC)

s7TKAhf.png

aP5SgZj.png
7XjbA4H.png
S3Fd22p.png
M1nNQ6a.png
QV4DD5B.png
aDItwHz.png
u4zzk45.png
vS4lLjA.png
bWWNooc.png
wnG4Dos.png
lqXs86y.png
BEKJrRz.png
ktyvY0N.png
UMes6hG.png
oCxiAxb.png

2ph4rbo.png

BjjPiG1.png

HUGE thanks to deim0s for all of the stunningly amazing art and graphics!

antitrop

Can't wait to finally play this for the first time on my PC. It will be wonderful, I'm a huge Platinum fan.

Valnen

7Xe77o9.png

Looking forward to it, will be my first actual playthrough. I've played the game before but not the entire thing.

Zushin

So I take it you've got to of played the other MGS games to get the gist of what's going on in Revengeance? I haven't played any before :(

I'll leave my gamer membership at the front desk.

Lunar15

Great OT! I'm totally double dipping for this. It's not platinum's best game, but it's really solid and has really great mechan...RULES OF NATURE

So I take it you've got to of played the other MGS games to get the gist of what's going on in Revengeance? I haven't played any before :(

You'll miss a few nods here and there but overall you're good.

You don't really need to be a Metal Gear fan to enjoy the story.

Besides, the best bits of the plot are entirely unrelated to Metal Gear canon.
*coughcoughARMSTRONGcough*

Not gonna play this version because my laptop is shit but for you PC gamers who haven't played it yet...get ready. It's crazy awesome.

godhard

Neo Member

Not really, it's quite a self-contained story. You will be getting a lot of spoilers for MGS4 though, if that matters.

Sentenza

The Zero Punctuation mock up is a hilarious little touch.
given the context it would be even better if those "dirty peasants" were sliced in pieces.

See my avatar to gauge my excitement-level in more ways than one!

Though I'm still guessing it's not going to support 120Hz, which will be a bummer. Oh well.

Squire

Banned
Excellent OT, Scrafty. Knew you would deliver.

Will finish pre-loading today. I have five days off after today, too. It's fate.

Top Bottom