• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater |OT| "The world was split into two - HD and 3D."

Caoz

This is my first time playing Snake Eater. I am liking it but the game is kicking my behind. I am playing normal and was getting caught in every single area. I guess my MGS skills are real dusty, last time I played a MGS title was at the release of MGS2. I did get my hands on a CPC today and managed to sneak past an area unnoticed for the first time.

Anyway I do have a quick question for all the MGS experts in here. Is the best strategy to try to go unnoticed completely? Or should I go for waiting then grabbing patrolmen and knocking them off? How do you run through the game ? I guess Kojima would approve to just go unnoticed.

CorvoSol

It depends on what you want. Ideally, though, getting caught less is the way to go. Because the more you get caught, the more guards you have to deal with. I like to tranq guards in the head and keep going, but my first time through I'd tranq them, then stab 'em with the knife then stash the corpses. Killing fewer guards makes things easier at a certain point in the game, though.

Also, the sniper rifles are amazing weapons.

sfried

Oh and the extremely low resolution of the 3DS often times makes lining up headshots a major pain in the ass. Often times feels like I'm lining up headshots off a single pixel.
Uh, I find the opposite true. Getting headshots is easy. The hitbox seems to be more forgiving, but I feel the aiming controls need more fine tuning since I had trouble with
The Fear
and
Volgin fistfight
. Either it moves too slow or too quick! That or I'm spoiled by RE:R's gyro aiming.

pa22word

Are you using the (utterly useless for sneaking) TPS view? Because the hitboxes using it are so lax, you'll often hit his chest or neck or hell even his arm due to how huge the reticle is and how small the targets head is. This makes the only precise method of aiming to be the FPV in which your 'reticle' (the little dot on your iron-sight) is roughly the size of the targets head. I did a 2:30 run earlier and even with the frankenstick the TPV aiming just doesn't cut it outside of the boss sections due to how horribly imprecise it is.

What is the crappiest rank you can get? I think I can possibly get that one.

lol the MGS series is rather infamous for having the toilet bowl ranking actually being harder to get than the ultimate rank. The Chicken run in MGS4 for example was an absolute nightmare to get compared to the Big Boss Emblem.

Just beat it. Best version of the game. Framerate drops were my only gripe. Crouchwalking and TPS aiming gave a nice twist to the final boss. =)

Still as fantastic as ever, still kinda wish this remake was on Wii U but I'll take what I can get.

pa22word

Just beat it. Best version of the game. Framerate drops were my only gripe. Crouchwalking and TPS aiming gave a nice twist to the final boss. =)

Still as fantastic as ever, still kinda wish this remake was on Wii U but I'll take what I can get.

Oh you got it? Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

It's a great game despite its performance hitches, but I just can't personally look past the removed functionality that was built around game being taken away in favor of features that neither add a whole heck of a lot to the game nor was balanced around the game (I seriously can't open doors or perform any other commands with the action button while crouch walking? wtf?!). The removal of peaking, roll-into-crawl, dedicated auto aim, and the FPV without being blocked with weapons is hard to swallow.

I plan on running through it 5ish more times to get all the emblems, but I still think anyone who has other options should go with any other version of the game.

Oh and as for the final boss...

I still just sat in one spot with snow/snow or snow/auscam (if on a second run) and quick reloaded with the MN from the FPV until I downed her, occasionally utilizing the thermal goggles in case I lost her.

It's a great game despite its performance hitches, but I just can't personally look past the removed functionality that was built around game being taken away in favor of features that neither add a whole heck of a lot to the game nor was balanced around the game (I seriously can't open doors or perform any other commands with the action button while crouch walking? wtf?!). The removal of peaking, roll-into-crawl, dedicated auto aim, and the FPV without being blocked with weapons is hard to swallow.

I plan on running through it 5ish more times to get all the emblems, but I still think anyone who has other options should go with any other version of the game.

Oh and as for the final boss...

I still just sat in one spot with snow/snow or snow/auscam (if on a second run) and quick reloaded with the MN from the FPV until I downed her, occasionally utilizing the thermal goggles in case I lost her.

I honestly didnt notice most of those. I did notice the crouch walking into door, that was kinda weird that I had to stand up to open it. I can see how one would recommend the HD version, but only for reasons would be for image quality, framerate, and value.

I only started the Virtuous Mission in MGS3 in the HD collection and it was honestly hard for me to go back to how the games controlled pre-MGS4. The control additions they made to the series were a natural evolution, and just from the intro I could already feel the controls were dated. I'm not concerned about the balance of the games (may be why I prefer TTS over MGS1 as well), I just prefer the more modern controls of MGS3D.

I'm still gonna play through MGS3 HD for sake of comparison.

Oh and did I mention I love the new lighting, color tone, textures, and 3D? The 3D was the best I have seen in a 3DS game yet. Seriously the game looks great, I only wish they optimized it more.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yes its not high resolution and that contributes to aliasing in games, but that is nothing to do with the quality of the LCD wafer, it has a suitable DPI - and with power saving off and max brightness - it looks totally contemporary to me compared with most LCD based products I can think of. You say what's visible to the eye is lower resolution than the PSP, but what's visible to the eye is completely variable, it depends completely on how you're holding the device and how far away from the screen your face is -- parallax barriers can't halt sight of every odd pixel from every angle... in 2D some games have free AA, and generally in games with 24 bit color and a good framerate the IQ is just fine. Really, the only things I can think of that are appreciably improved and more 'expensive' looking are gorilla glass covered screens on Apple hardware and OLED screens.
AA, 24-bit color and all that is just a function of the hardware. The LCD itself is what I have a problem with. It's below par for an LCD in a modern product. I'm not sure how you could believe it to be comparable to most LCD based products when even cheap smart phones are delivering 4x the resolution.

It's not really just a resolution issue, of course, far from it. The contrast ratio/black level performance is quite poor, for one thing. Playing Resident Evil Revelations on the 3DS reveals its inability to display rich blacks. This is a problem for most LCDs, but it's worse than usual with the 3DS and feels more in line with older LCDs. Even the lowly PSP3000 and PSP Go have a higher contrast ratio, I'd say, as they deliver a deeper black.

LCDs are perfectly suitable for non-gaming usage, but they are not great for gaming. They never have been and they still are not.

I would absolutely love for Nintendo to include an OLED with a parallax barrier in a refresh of the hardware. Would be much more suitable for this type of product.

pa22word

So I got to the very end where you fight ocelot for one last time, the part where you have to pick the revolver you want.
Saved my game during and everytime I try to load it, I get a frozen screen and I can't even return to the 3ds home menu. Terrible glitch, shouldn't be in the game. Wasted 16 hours on this play through. Just a warning to all.

*spoilers in the link*

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997803-metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d/62120190

Veal

I would absolutely love for Nintendo to include an OLED with a parallax barrier in a refresh of the hardware. Would be much more suitable for this type of product.

Indeed. I wonder if moving to OLED would help with battery life? Part of me wants to say no, because OLED apparently has a higher power drain depending on what's being shown on screen. Maybe it would help with crosstalk? I don't know.

Luigiv

Indeed. I wonder if moving to OLED would help with battery life? Part of me wants to say no, because OLED apparently has a higher power drain depending on what's being shown on screen. Maybe it would help with crosstalk? I don't know.

It would but not as drastically as some of it's proponents would have you believe. LCDs have a pretty consistent power draw. It doesn't matter what they display, the power consumption won't change by more than a few milliwatts. OLEDs on the other hand, draw maximum power (about 3x LCD) when displaying whites but practically zero power when displaying blacks. As such the average power draw of an OLED tends to be about 80% of an LCD, though this can change widely depending on the application (brighter colour palettes = higher power draw).

As for cross talk, I imagine OLED would actually make things worse due to their higher contrast.

jackdoe

Is it possible to adjust the image ala 3D HDTVs to remove cross talk? Like shift the images to the left or right? Or is it just not feasible with a glasses less 3D screen. I mean, the first thought that always pops into my head when I get into an area with heavy ghosting in Ocarina of Time or Super Mario 3D is, "I wish I could adjust it".

Veal

It would but not as drastically as some of it's proponents would have you believe. LCDs have a pretty consistent power draw. It doesn't matter what they display, the power consumption won't change by more than a few milliwatts. OLEDs on the other hand, draw maximum power (about 3x LCD) when displaying whites but practically zero power when displaying blacks. As such the average power draw of an OLED tends to be about 80% of an LCD, though this can change widely depending on the application (brighter colour palettes = higher power draw).

As for cross talk, I imagine OLED would actually make things worse due to their higher contrast.

Ah. So OLED wouldn't be all that useful for the 3DS, considering the most ghosting happens during dark scenes (for me at least) and the best way to mitigate that is by having brighter scenes overall...which would negate the dower draw benefit of the OLED. Are there any new technologies being made to deal with the ghosting and crosstalk limitations of todays 3D screens?

Boney

Banned

Huh, but you can peak and roll into crawl. And there's an actual dedicated auto aim instead of the free aim that existed earlier (although, the original one was more useful for actual running and gunning) so I agree it's a loss. FPV is indeed lost as well, but it's one of the most frustrating elements from the original Snake Eater in my opinion, and in a way crouch walking negates it by being able to move in a briskier pace without risking detection from unseen enemies.

Haven't played the full game here nor the HD collection, but I'd agree that the new elements here are not enough to offset the technical improvements from the HD collection, and there's a few issues with the PW controls (to crouch while leaning into a wall you have to press down on the d-pad while still holding up to wall hug), but going by the demo and just my prior knowledge to this game, make the new aditions pretty worthy.

Plus there's less loading for the survival viewer now right? Dunno how it compares to the HD collection there.

pa22word

but you can peak

"Peaking" refers to when you go into the FPV, aim, and can peak up/right/left around corners and/or out of grass without sacrificing any camo index. This is done in the HDv by holding down the triggers whilst in the FPV, and it's def missing from the 3DS version.

roll into crawl.

With the standard control scheme it's pretty much impossible to pull off and with the frankenstick it's pretty awkward. In the PS2/HDv it's very fluid because all you have to do is hold onto the X button (or whatever you're using on the 360).

and in a way crouch walking negates it by being able to move in a briskier pace without risking detection from unseen enemies.

I'm telling you guys crouch walking doesn't change much if anything due to the way the environments are designed. it doesn't even help with sneaking up on people due to the 3ish second delay between an enemy seeing you and an alert triggering. If you sneak up on a dude and he suddenly turns around you have about 3-4 seconds to CQC slam him and you can get by without an alert.

Plus there's less loading for the survival viewer now right? Dunno how it compares to the HD collection there.

It's pretty much exactly the same. They just mapped each individual function to the touch screen for quicker access.

Boney

Banned
Oh that's what you meant by peaking, yeah that's definately absent. It's absent as well with CPP? Bummer. It was specially useful when crawling though tall grass, even if you had to contort your fingers in ways you didn't imagine possible.

Don't have any problems with rolling and crawling, just let go of the circle pad and press down as you roll. Of course it'd be easier to just hold down R so it's kinda mind boggling they didn't do it like that. I guess maybe to avoid confusions with CQC.

But just by playing the demo crouch walking helps tremendously, not so much for sneaking up to other dudes, but more for enemies that are mid range that would otherwise spot you if you ran (which I almost never did when playing this game, especially the jungle environments.) and you'd have to crawl (which really hinders your movement speed and stamina consumption.

But yeah, I haven't tried out this version other than the demo, so I could very well be wrong about the advantages these stuff brings, and I'm speaking through recollection of something I haven't played in a few years. But I have issues with Snake Eater as a game that makes me put MGS2 ahead of it, and kinda sets out to patch out a few issues in not the most elegant nor effective manner.

Roto13

So I got a copy of this yesterday and played through the Virtuous Mission today. It froze during the Snake Eater them song intro thing which was annoying because I really wanted to see that in 3D. (I rushed through the Virtuous Mission a second time and saw that it wasn't even in 3D after all. :p) I'm going to put it down until the Circle Pad Pro I ordered today gets here because the face buttons feel like a handicap and are not a suitable replacement for a second analog stick. You'd think they would have put in motion control aiming. It would make so much more sense.

It looks nice, despite the framerate problems. I like that the Kerotans have been replace with Yoshis. (Much less annoying when you shoot them. :p) I don't think I've ever been pulled out of a game harder than when Para-Medic started telling me how to heal myself at the end of the Virtuous Mission. Oh my god, she went from dramatic "Hang in there, Snake, you can get through this!" to sounding like a bored teenager being forced to read aloud in her high school literature class.
Took a little longer than expected, but I can confirm that
Guy Savage
is not in this version of the game.

Bah. PS2 version for life.

pa22word

God damn it is spelled peek.

Peak is the top of a mountain.

*goes back and checks posts*

fffffffffff-

damn it >_<

Anyway just did a Tsuchinoko run. Played this game so much...probably going to put it down for a while. I've beaten it 9 times since it released on the 3DS haha.

It froze during the Snake Eater them song intro thing which was annoying because I really wanted to see that in 3D. (I rushed through the Virtuous Mission a second time and saw that it wasn't even in 3D after all. :p)

Wait what? I watched the song intro that plays when you first run the game (before the title screen and before starting a new game), and it was in glorious 3D.

Roto13

Well it's pretty shitty 3D, then. I even turned the 3D off and on a bunch of times during the video and the only difference was it sunk a little bit into the screen. It was like watching a TV through a window.

Also it doesn't show up before I start a game. It shows up after the Virtuous Mission, because I haven't finished the game yet.

I haven't finished the game either, or even started it yet, and I saw the song animation intro. I unwrapped my new game, put the cart in the 3DS, ran the game from the system menu and then didn't press any buttons. The song played after the company logo screens, and when it finished I got the title screen (where the camera slowly sweeps in the jungle), and then I turned it off. Haven't turned the 3DS on since then.

I thought it looked great in 3D, and sounded great too. Gave me a sweet nostalgia rush that made me say that moment alone was worth the price of admission (I am hopelessly weak for gaming nostalgia). I didn't notice it was prerendered (no ugly video compression artifacts), but I figured it must be. I don't see why it would be "post processing" as you say though (I guess you mean converted 3D), since it ran in real time on the PS2 (and was interactive) so I figured they could easily record it in true 3D since they have the code.

I'll have to watch it again and look more closely.

Roto13

Well it doesn't show up when I load up the game. The only time it has shown up was when I beat the Virtuous Mission.

That's strange. I also remember it playing before starting the game on the PS2 if I'm not mistaken.

I have the US version, and have downloaded and finished the demo before (didn't delete the demo), I wonder if that might be the reason.

Roto13

Well I just waited around the title screen for a while and the Snake Eater intro started playing after a minute or so. It had the same graphical bugs on the left side as it had when it froze my 3DS the first time I tried watching it after the Virtuous Mission, so I skipped it because screw that. Then I tried it two more times and got the same problem.

I quit the game and tried it again and it worked this time. Still not really seeing the 3D effect in it. I have a lazy eye, so even though I can see 3D effects, things in the front seem to be slightly to the right of where they are when I look at them in 2D. So if I see this in 2D: (__.__) it looks kind of like this in 3D: (___._). I didn't see a single difference between watching it in 2D or 3D besides the whole screen just sinking back a bit with 3D on. The flying text doesn't seem to pop out at all, the snakes look like they're flat against the background like when I play the PS2 or HD versions on a regular TV.

The 3D is really nice in-game, though. It's just that one part that's so weak that I can't even see it. I'd like to know why the hell this game wants to freeze my 3DS. :p Has this happened to anyone else?

Where can I get a circle pad pro for this game? All my local gamestops are sold out and so is nintendo.com.
I ordered one from Nintendo yesterday and it didn't say they were out. I ordered it from the Canadian site, though, being Canadian and all. I tried two different EB Games three times each and didn't have any luck with them. The website was no help either. So annoying. Why is this thing exclusive? You'd think they'd want one attached to as many 3DSes as possible. Side note: Nintendo's site was selling them for five dollars cheaper than EB Games anyway.

Guess I know where I'm buying Xenoblade Chronicles.

Coldsnap

I ordered one from Nintendo yesterday and it didn't say they were out. I ordered it from the Canadian site, though, being Canadian and all. I tried two different EB Games three times each and didn't have any luck with them. The website was no help either. So annoying. Why is this thing exclusive? You'd think they'd want one attached to as many 3DSes as possible. Side note: Nintendo's site was selling them for five dollars cheaper than EB Games anyway.

Guess I know where I'm buying Xenoblade Chronicles.

Ah, cool. Looks like they updated stock. I got mine then!

AlfaTrion

I can't find it so now I'm second guessing myself... maybe I dreamed it:

Can you restore your stamina or health while in sleep mode or do I have to exit the game?

Or is it neither? lol

AlfaTrion

So I got a copy of this yesterday and played through the Virtuous Mission today. It froze during the Snake Eater them song intro thing which was annoying because I really wanted to see that in 3D.

My game messed up too at this point. The left side of the screen looked glitchy and then it just died. When I rebooted, the game started after the video. But at least you can see it on the title screen after that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Anyone got any custom photo camoes that have disgustingly high camo index ratings?

Best I've got is one that is 100% in low light situations...not exactly hard to achieve in the regular game!

Also for someone who absolutely, positively needs to judo slam every possible soldier on a screen at least once before leaving the crouch walk is irreplaceable.

AlfaTrion

I can't find it so now I'm second guessing myself... maybe I dreamed it:

Can you restore your stamina or health while in sleep mode or do I have to exit the game?

Or is it neither? lol

So I confirmed, you have to exit the game (Home > Close) and then wait. When you reload after a while, you have full health. But the stamina stayed the same.

Goli

Oh my God.
Signed 3DSs some lucky Japanese people will win:
scaled.php

https://twitter.com/#!/konamistyle/status/176848815666642945
I really want the Eva one ;-;.
Also, I got this game last week, frame rate is crap and it looks way worse than the HD version, I can't comprehend how people call it the definitive one, but it's still good to have it portable (before the Vita HD version anyway).
Also, did anyone notice how they had some other person tplay Para-Medic's voice during the survival viewer tutorial? Her voice sounds so different... but I guess they did what they had to due to the reworked interface.

Roto13

I don't think it's a new voice actress for Para-Medic. I think it's just *really* obvious that it's a new recording session, and she was seriously just phoning it in. She sounds like she's reading the script for the first time.

Tiktaalik

Boy the MGS series isn't well adapted to the portable platform is it? I mean I think this game controls great, but it was pretty damn funny to do a several stop subway ride while just watching part of a cutscene. Fortunately closing the system perfectly pauses the cutscene and so I could pick up again later.

I'm enjoying the game but I think this experience is making me second guess picking up the planned MGS HD Vita versions.

Ridley327

Yeah, MGS3 is not a game designed for handhelds and it really shows. :p MGS2 can only be worse for handhelds.

I dunno; the VR missions definitely help, since they're all bite-sized to begin with.

God help gamers on the go once they descend into Arsenal Gear, though.

Top Bottom