• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater |OT| "The world was split into two - HD and 3D."

Tookay

Boy the MGS series isn't well adapted to the portable platform is it? I mean I think this game controls great, but it was pretty damn funny to do a several stop subway ride while just watching part of a cutscene. Fortunately closing the system perfectly pauses the cutscene and so I could pick up again later.

I'm enjoying the game but I think this experience is making me second guess picking up the planned MGS HD Vita versions.

I don't see why it would make you hesitate. The Vita's probably bound to run better and have a better control scheme, with a second analog stick. That mitigates most of the problems of this version.

Though it won't have crouchwalking, which is this game's unsung best feature.

Blablurn

Oh my God.
Signed 3DSs some lucky Japanese people will win:
scaled.php

https://twitter.com/#!/konamistyle/status/176848815666642945

thats sooooooo sexy. damn.

Roto13

I don't see why it would make you hesitate. The Vita's probably bound to run better and have a better control scheme, with a second analog stick. That mitigates most of the problems of this version.

Except the one he's talking about.
I dunno; the VR missions definitely help, since they're all bite-sized to begin with.
That's true. At least there's a nice bit of bonus content that's portable friendly. :p I haven't bothered to do those but I might if I had them on a handheld.

But I don't need three and four copies of MGS 2 and 3 respectively.

Tiktaalik

Though it won't have crouchwalking, which is this game's unsung best feature.

Controls not the issue. The cutscene heavy nature of the series is the problem and that would still exist on the Vita.

I really wish that they'd make a true portable Metal Gear, where they strip the game design down to the strict gameplay fundamentals and render the storyline to some ultra light form (ie. NES era "you must rescue the president" type stuff). VR missions are close to this I suppose, but those are a bit too abstract. I still want the semblance of some real place and real situation.

Ridley327

Controls not the issue. The cutscene heavy nature of the series is the problem and that would still exist on the Vita.

I really wish that they'd make a true portable Metal Gear, where they strip the game design down to the strict gameplay fundamentals and render the storyline to some ultra light form (ie. NES era "you must rescue the president" type stuff). VR missions are close to this I suppose, but those are a bit too abstract. I still want the semblance of some real place and real situation.

Isn't this Peace Walker you're describing?

Well, OK, if Peace Walker was actually solid in the stealth department.

And the story was as simple as ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE.

Roto13

I think Peace Walker does a pretty good job of that.

Tiktaalik

Isn't this Peace Walker you're describing?

Well, OK, if Peace Walker was actually solid in the stealth department.

And the story was as simple as ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE.

Peace Walker was definitely way, way more portable friendly than MGS3. I think they could make the story even a bit more barebones though.

Ridley327

Peace Walker was definitely way, way more portable friendly than MGS3. I think they could make the story even a bit more barebones though.

It could literally be a line-for-line remake of Bad Dudes and it would be a tremendous improvement on the story that Peace Walker had.

Duxxy3

Have to say I'm very disappointed in the developers here. Gametrailers pointed it out themselves pretty well - the circle pad pro is basically a requirement for 3DS version and i just don't understand why they went with that decision. I don't remember the second analog stick being heavily used in MGS1, MGS2 and the original PS2 release of MGS3 (if i remember correctly). So why force it onto a machine that doesn't have that hardware?
In my opinion developers should work with what is available rather than what they wish was available.

Ready at Dawn was able to create 2 God of War games on the PSP without a second analog, without R3/L3/R2/L2 and it still controlled perfectly fine. I know it's not the same game, but that's just an example of a developer who managed to adapt and streamline where it was needed most.

I played through RE:R last week and not once did i feel the controls were compromised because i wasn't using the circle pad pro. I'm sure some parts would have been smoother with the add on, but not once did i feel hindered. That's what the circle pad pro should be, a device that smooths out the bumps. It shouldn't be used as a crutch for developers.

sfried

They need to make MG(S) Ghost Babel 3D from the ground up on 3DS, using the engine they used in The Naked Sample. And learn a thing or two from RE:R, especially about gyro aiming and effective bottom screen use.

I feel like...this port was handed over to TOSE or something. Not that its bad, but there are glaring janky issues. I think most of it has to do with them forcing to just keep the entire game intack without designing around the console.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Have to say I'm very disappointed in the developers here. Gametrailers pointed it out themselves pretty well - the circle pad pro is basically a requirement for 3DS version and i just don't understand why they went with that decision. I don't remember the second analog stick being heavily used in MGS1, MGS2 and the original PS2 release of MGS3 (if i remember correctly). So why force it onto a machine that doesn't have that hardware?
This isn't simply a 3DS misstep. People have been clamoring for a different approach after each PSP release as well. Both Portable Ops and Peace Walker INSISTED on using a 3D camera which required the face buttons to emulate an analog stick. It simply doesn't work all that well.

MGS1-2 both used fixed camera angles which should have been adopted for PSP. With MGS3, things are bit different as the game environment is much larger and already existed (rather than being designed from the ground up for a system). In the original release, the right stick was used to pan around the environment while the 3D camera worked as it does on 3DS. The original camera really didn't work well due to the environment design, but I still think it should have been an option.

Bumhead

Banned
A bit late to the party here, but how is the final product's performance compared to the demo?

I'm almost certainly going to buy the HD Collection for Vita, but I wouldn't be averse to double dipping on the 3DS version. I'm a big fan of MGS3 anyway and the discussion over which of the two is the definitive version suggests to me they're both worth playing.

Is the 3DS version worth it if I intend on playing through it on Vita? Is the frame rate better?

pa22word

Performance issues the same, controls lacking functionality of original release even with the CCP, not even close to being worth buying if you plan on getting the Vita version, and as I said before the frame rate is still bad (really bad during cutscenes and boss fights).

CorvoSol

Disagree completely. Play it for the reworked models and 3D. And see if the series should proceed with crouchwalking.

Isn't there crouch-walking in Peace Walker?

Re: Framerate. The only time during actual gameplay where I experienced a problem was when The Pain covered me with bees. Otherwise, the game was fine (and lip-sync, of course.)

An issue I found with the demo was the input lag while shooting.Has this been addressed?
What I mean was, when I hit the R button to shoot the bullet comes out a fraction of a second later making it extremely hard to land shots, as the enemy would move by the time the bullet would have reached.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I have a little big problem. I can't figure out how I'm supposed to equip new weapons. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

pa22word

I have a little big problem. I can't figure out how I'm supposed to equip new weapons. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

Hit the little backpack icon on the touch screen or press start/select and head to the backpack section of the survival viewer.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Hit the little backpack icon on the touch screen or press start/select and head to the backpack section of the survival viewer.

Well, they are there. I click on them an they move to the main window. Right to the starting gun and they are supposed to be equipped... But how do I actually use them? I can't manage to get them display the use status, I can't use them in game.

pa22word

Well, they are there. I click on them an they move to the main window. Right to the starting gun and they are supposed to be equipped... But how do I actually use them? I can't manage to get them display the use status, I can't use them in game.

If you're using the frankenstick hit either the L or R buttons and then select your item of choice. If you're rocking a naked 3DS then either tap and hold the icons for each respective slot on the touch screen, or press and hold right and left on the dpad for items and weapons, respectively. Alternatively, if you do indeed have the frankenstick the latter methods also work but do not come recommended over the shoulder buttons.

Tiktaalik

Oh boy I didn't think the frame rate issues were too bad, but that was just because I hadn't truly taxed the game yet. I finally messed up good and had 5 guards on me and the game went to complete slide show mode. This game is really neat but I think I might sell this...

BD1

Banned
This game is split into two - Great and Frustrating

It's Snake Eater. Its an all time classic, and its all here. All the great stuff is here and the 3D visuals add a nice layer to the game. As someone who never got to finish the game to completion all those years ago, I am really enjoying the chance to finally play through to the end.

That being said, the control issues are pretty taxing. The touchscreen interface is not very intuitive. Controlling with the right circle pad is better than using the buttons, but not by much. The lack of analog control makes aiming and camera control a real bitch.

Overall, I think the good outweighs the bad, but it falls short of what it could have been.

This game is split into two - Great and Frustrating

It's Snake Eater. Its an all time classic, and its all here. All the great stuff is here and the 3D visuals add a nice layer to the game. As someone who never got to finish the game to completion all those years ago, I am really enjoying the chance to finally play through to the end.

That being said, the control issues are pretty taxing. The touchscreen interface is not very intuitive. Controlling with the right circle pad is better than using the buttons, but not by much. The lack of analog control makes aiming and camera control a real bitch.

Overall, I think the good outweighs the bad, but it falls short of what it could have been.

It sucks there's no way around that hurdle.

Ah well.

Had someone else a crash during the intro movie
the Bond Movie-ish one, after the nuke goes of
? It had some small red artefacts, so I turned down the 3D slider and the the entire picture turned red/black and the 3DS froze on me. Had to turn it off and on again. Not cool :(

Roto13

Yeah. That happened to me, too. Several times.

If you see the artifacts, skip the video, because it's going to freeze.

Yeah. That happened to me, too. Several times.

If you see the artifacts, skip the video, because it's going to freeze.

So, did it happen again later in other videos, or just during the opening video for several times for you?

When I loaded the game it skipped the intro for me.

Which made me realize, that it always safes on one slot and I can't create more than one safegame on the same playthrough...

Roto13

So, did it happen again later in other videos, or just during the opening video for several times for you?

When I loaded the game it skipped the intro for me.

Which made me realize, that it always safes on one slot and I can't create more than one safegame on the same playthrough...

I haven't continued playing since it happened because it was the end of the Virtuous Mission and I'm waiting for my Frankenstick to get here to keep playing. :p But other people have mentioned it happening in that video but nobody has mentioned it in any other one.

I haven't continued playing since it happened because it was the end of the Virtuous Mission and I'm waiting for my Frankenstick to get here to keep playing. :p But other people have mentioned it happening in that video but nobody has mentioned it in any other one.

Ok, thanks. Then I will continue tomorrow. Was kinda scared that my 3DS has a serious problem lol.

And you should wait for the CPP. Game feels great with it. I even prefer it to my HD Collection at the moment.

CorvoSol

Having now played enough of the 3 portable MGS games (I'll start Ghost Babel eventually), I can honestly say I preferred MGS3's control scheme above the other two. Snake Eater and Peace Walker are close, but Snake Eater is just better than Portable Ops by a long shot. Particularly aiming. It's so much easier to aim in Peace Walker and Snake eater than in Portable Ops. Headshots in that game are a major pain for me.

Snake Eater really only beats out Peace Walker because of the camera, though. And the ability to crawl and crouch walk. Which, for whatever reason, Portable Ops has one, and Peace Walker the other.

I also don't like not having regenerating health or easy access to rations in PO. Really, PO has a LOT of small annoyances for me.

Question, though: Do most people not like Peace Walker's story? I loved it. I enjoyed that, on the whole, it was lighter and sillier than other games in the series, and only ever got dark when it reminded me of other games. I enjoyed the whole "Make you
kill The Boss again and again
" section of the game, and thought the silly giant robots, flying droids, and AI fit well enough with the 70s sci-fi of the game. Also, I really liked Hot Coldman.

Had someone else a crash during the intro movie
the Bond Movie-ish one, after the nuke goes of
? It had some small red artefacts, so I turned done the 3D slider and the the entire picture turned red/black and the 3DS froze on me. Had to turn it off and on again. Not cool :(

LOL, the game froze on that exact same point when I played the HD Collection on my PS3. Had to reboot and missed the movie :p

Finally got the game and you know what? After all the nitpicking I've read on here I can honestly say I think this is a nice port. It could be better, but its very nice and a lot of fun.

I think I'd have liked to have seen them iron out a few kinks here and there, tighten the framerate in certain cut scenes (not as many as I feared though and its not too bad anyway) and maybe make slightly better use of the touch screen, especially for non CPP mode. I can see how those without one would find it frustrating. There are some hints that they were making progress, such as the analog slider on the touch screen for zooming with binoculars... I think the Cure screen could have been made more fun using the touch screen too. One control issue I would have fixed is the way the aim button always aims the way the camera is facing rather than the way Snake is facing. It's always been that way, but I don't like that. The gyro stuff works ok if you're holding the 3ds parallel to the floor, but they should have realised that people might play it reclined or lying in bed, because in those situations you really have to change the way you play and sit up properly.

I've just beaten the Pain and have started making my way towards the Fear, a couple of things have caught my eye in a good way. If you watch the opening snake eater music video intro and look closely at snake's model in that video, you'll appreciate how much nicer the 3ds model looks. There are some nice 3ds-specific hardware effects being applied that were also in use on Resident Evil revelations - check out the texture shading on Sokolov's coat or on Ocelot's gloves, or check out the lighting reflection effect on the rocks as you male your way through the caves with a torch lit. They shouldn't have chosen the area/section they did for the demo, because it has seriously improved in every way since that area. The 3d is gorgeous, and the quality of the game has really begun to shine through. I'm glad the early tutorial cutscenes and codec convos were mostly skippable.

I'd actually recommended this to anyone with a 3ds. If you've beaten Res Evil Revelations, this is the next best meaty title available at the moment. Even if you have the HD pack, as long as you have no immediate plans to buy a Vita and wait however long it takes for that version, this version is great. Nowhere near as bad as some of the negativity led me to believe! You'd definitely have more fun with a circle pad pro though, I'll say that much.

I just picked this up. I have the CPP, so I figured it wouldn't be too bad.

I'm liking this. I'm still shit at sneaking around though.

BD1

Banned
I think I'd have liked to have seen them iron out a few kinks here and there, tighten the framerate in certain cut scenes (not as many as I feared though and its not too bad anyway) and maybe make slightly better use of the touch screen, especially for non CPP mode. I can see how those without one would find it frustrating. There are some hints that they were making progress, such as the analog slider on the touch screen for zooming with binoculars... I think the Cure screen could have been made more fun using the touch screen too. One control issue I would have fixed is the way the aim button always aims the way the camera is facing rather than the way Snake is facing. It's always been that way, but I don't like that. The gyro stuff works ok if you're holding the 3ds parallel to the floor, but they should have realised that people might play it reclined or lying in bed, because in those situations you really have to change the way you play and sit up properly.

Ugh, a 1000x this. It is a horrible design choice, and it's definitely the most frustrating part of the game for me. Aiming and camera control in general were driving me crazy during the showdown with The Boss.

dreamahm

Banned
finish the game in 14:15 hours & get boss gun & panther sticker.

Also get zombie & banana & the pain & the end & more textures.

I will play again with hard mode.

love it too much.

dreamahm

Banned
Is this game selling well??

Because we would love to see more metal gear remake on 3ds like 2 , twin snake.

Also some exsulsive metal gear :)

dreamahm

Banned
I would rate this remake 82%.

Positive:
+nice graphics & Textures ,no blur,stuning 3D.
+Good control with CPP.
+Good add-on (Gyro,Camera texture)

Negative:
-Drop frame issue.
-very diffecult control without CPP.
-yoshi for only sticker, no yoshi hat or yoshi cloth.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Finally got the game (at cheaper price, due to some offer I took advantage of), otherwise honestly I would skip this port.
I have to admit it: it's way better than the demo they released, also if it's not perfect at all, in terms of polishness and frame rate.
But during gameplay framerate is solid, not top notch but good, in my opinion.
The worst thing about the game is that you have to play it with the SlidePadPro, to get the right feeling.
With that, it's a very good game. Graphics are worst than Naked sample tech demo, but very good in my opinion. With the SlidePadPro camera controls and general controls are very good. Touch screen is so useful for map, quick position change, quick weapon activation/deactivation. Camouflage camera pics is simply great.
And the game is a masterpiece, the latest masterpiece created by Kojima, imho.

Apart the mandatory use of SlidePadPro, the pity is taht they didn't create any use to take advantage of Street and Spotpass.

I'd really love to see a MGS game tailored for the 3ds hardware (both in terms of features and graphics) as Portable OPS and Peace Walker were for PSP.

Top Bottom