• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain Coming to PC September 15th

Looked better than the console version and ran well, IIRC. Many mroe dynamic lights, way better LOD, better shadows and reflections.

$60 is pretty steep though. Will wait for GMG pre-order discount. $50 sounds fair.

This ^
I'll wait for that V.I.P. Access and that extra 20-25% off coupon too.

Pisses me off to no end...

At least it does have a release date, I suppose, unlike Dark Souls 2, which was supposed to come "sometime after the console version"... And was given an actual release date after my PS3 Preorder had been shipped from Namco, making it impossible to cancel my pre-purchase... Thus having me double dip on the PC version later down the road... And then announcing a PS4 and new better looking PC version and trying to make me triple dip on the same game...

I tell ya, these lame schemes to push people to double dip on titles need to stop. They know their hardcore fanbase can't wait and will be easyly be swayed into getting the console versions just so they can experience it first... Then upon realising the best version is the PC version, they will eventually double dip... Maybe not at launch, but defintively during Steam sales and such... Hence they cash in twice, all because they decided to delay the PC release date... Cause otherwise, everyone would have gone for the Steam version day one. To me it's shady marketing and I hate it...

I don't even think its a 'scheme' to get people to double dip, its publishers that literally don't understand the PC market post-Steam and believe the only way they sell anything is waiting until the consoles have had a few weeks of sales so when all PC gamers pirate their copies day 0 the few people who do buy games pay more to cover that.

Konami at least don't really have a PC presence, so its somehwat sort of understandable that they have misread it this badly. Rock* don't have the same excuse for the shit they pull.

Best case scenario is they get middling sales for day one, do a sale to a more reasonable pricepoint, then watch as that longtail keeps on giving with spurts every time they reduce the price point further and they learn the PC market is valuable, has a large number of paying consumers and deserves courting, not treated as filthy pirate scum from the get go.

Weetrick

It's really cool to see this game on PC.

How insane would I be to buy this game? I played MGS1 in '98 and have ignored the series completely since then.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The PC port of Ground Zeroes was excellent. No way I wouldn't wait 15 days (or more) to pick up MGSV on PC.

SamuraiX-

I guess I can understand Europe, but I don't get why people in the US are outraged over a $60 price tag? You were actually expecting less?

Ugh 2 weeks. Gonna have to fight the urge not to watch the uknighted marathon.

This will truly be the most difficult part of that two week wait.
Yr0sTm5.png

Zafir

£60.
Sixty Pounds Sterling. I think it's like 70 Euros.

Yeah someone already mentioned the last gen consoles will be floating around on torrent sites and stuff way before the release date.
£60 is 90 dollars. The European price, 70 Euros is 77 dollars. Both prices suck arse.

Rising_Hei

People really bitching for a 2 week gap? come on... you should feel lucky that this game is being released on PC after been ignored for so long.

My thought is that they started with the PC version later, and it will need additional time.

If you can't wait 2 weeks and double dip, don't blame Konami, it's your own choice to do so.

SamuraiX-

There's no certification fee for PC titles. PC titles when sold for the same amount of profit as console titles should always cost less.

Maybe last gen but every current gen AAA game I've come across on Steam (that also has console versions) has had a $59.99 price tag.

Still not getting the outrage. You guys were expecting MGS5 to break the mold or something?

Kezen

Banned
People really bitching for a 2 week gap? come on... you should feel lucky that this game is being released on PC after been ignored for so long.

There is no "luck" involved, it releases on PC because there is profit to be made.
It's not a "gift" so we don't have to feel "lucky" at all.

Genio88

Why did you do that Ko(nami)jima?(piracy of course) Now i don't know if buy it day one for Xbone or wait for the PC version, of course the PC version will be the best graphics wise, but even wait just 2 weeks to play it would be a pain!!!!! a phantom pain!!! What should i do?

People really bitching for a 2 week gap? come on... you should feel lucky that this game is being released on PC after been ignored for so long

Is this the new "Entitled"? Somehow I doubt you'd be spewing the same garbage if the console versions were delayed instead.

Spaghetti

if piracy was the reason for this (hint: it isn't), they should delay the 360 version too.

really though some kojimapro/konami rep needs to go to the steam forums to put the fire out over the release/price shit.

Genio88

if piracy was the reason for this (hint: it isn't), they should delay the 360 version too.

really though some kojimapro/konami rep needs to go to the steam forums to put the fire out over the release/price shit.

But that's the only possible reason, two weeks more are nothing developing wise, and by the way how could they already know that they'll need exactly two additional weeks to finish the PC version being the release date is so far?
I think they know piracy on PC is pretty big, especially here in Europe, so they want to sell first all the PS4/Xbone version they can and then release it on PC, in that way who wanted to pirate it on PC could buy the game on console instead, in order to play the game first
PS: piracy on PC is a way way bigger than 360's

Spaghetti

But that's the only possible reason, two weeks more are nothing developing wise, and by the way how could they already know that they'll need exactly two additional weeks to finish the PC version being the release date is so far?
I think they know piracy on PC is pretty big, especially here in Europe, so they want to sell first all the PS4/Xbone version they can and then release it on PC, in that way who wanted to pirate it on PC could buy the game on console instead, in order to play the game first
PS: piracy on PC is a way way bigger than 360's
i would argue that piracy on 360 is actually on par with pc seeing how they are generally obtained from the same sources (torrent sites), if not technically a bigger issue because of the underground pirated game sales market.

you do realise that kojipro will finish work on the game before the release date, right? say it goes gold about two/three weeks before release, what does the team do? they work on the version that isn't ready yet, i.e the PC version. in the two weeks between console and PC release i assume the team is going to split up into supporting the console version and finishing the PC version. it's a logistics issue, not a piracy issue.

zychi

Banned
i would argue that piracy on 360 is actually on par with pc seeing how they are generally obtained from the same sources (torrent sites), if not technically a bigger issue because of the underground pirated game sales market.

you do realise that kojipro will finish work on the game before the release date, right? say it goes gold about two/three weeks before release, what does the team do? they work on the version that isn't ready yet, i.e the PC version. in the two weeks between console and PC release i assume the team is going to split up into supporting the console version and finishing the PC version. it's a logistics issue, not a piracy issue.

i'm pretty sure the pc version will just be a better version of the x1 version. x1 games are basically pc games at this point

Maybe last gen but every current gen AAA game I've come across on Steam (that also has console versions) has had a $59.99 price tag.

Still not getting the outrage. You guys were expecting MGS5 to break the mold or something?

Most titles are £34.99 RRP on Steam with a 10% or more preorder discount, and a £39.99 RRP on consoles, which accounts for licensing costs.

EDIT:
Just to confirm, that means MGSV is coming in at almost twice the price of any other game by any other publishers for day one pricing.

NotLiquid

Expected this to happen due to slightly lacking PC presence but doesn't make it any less disappointing. Going on blackout for two weeks for the sake of a game like Metal Gear is going to be hard as hell.

Lime

Firs tof all, they got away with charging $10 more for the PC versions of their AAA, so it got normalized.

Secondly, we are talking about 60 pounds/70 euros in this case. That's completely ridiculous.

Kysen

£59.99 lol, was going for the PS4 version anyway. I guess Konami wants to get the user to pay for Valves cut.

Top Bottom