• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid: Rising...Triology 2: Electric Boogaloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMZC

Blader5489 said:
MGS4 was announced a year after MGS3 came out, was that a low budget game?

your post is all kinds of smh

You said it yourself: A year after MGS3. Technically, Rising was announced at GDC last year. That's way less than a year. So, my point still stands.

Besides, it's common sense. MGS4 was hi-budget because it was a game from a well established series, following the traditional gameplay that people liked. This is something different, a new kind of gameplay. Obviously, for this title, Konami won't allow Kojima to have the insane amount of resources that he got for MGS4.

-viper-

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
I'm just really happy I'll be able to play it on my PC at a decent resolution regardless of what they decide to do on consoles. MGS4's graphics were really held down by the sub-HD-ness. Always felt a bit blury.
wat? It looks like the sharpest looking game out there.

Blader

SMZC said:
You said it yourself: A year after MGS3. Technically, Rising was announced at GDC last year. That's way less than a year. So, my point still stands.

Besides, it's common sense. MGS4 was hi-budget because it was a game from a well established series, following the traditional gameplay that people liked. This is something different, a new kind of gameplay. Obviously, for this title, Konami won't allow Kojima to have the insane amount of resources that he got for MGS4.

wat? Rising was announced yesterday.

SMZC said:

Because he cant possibly carry over resources and tech used for MGS4 at all. The way that reads implies MGS:R will be inferior for being multiplat.

StuBurns

Banned
SMZC said:

It wasn't announced at GDC.
And I don't see why this won't have a budget equal to that of what MGS5 would be (less than MGS4 because tech would have cost a ton).

soldat7

SMZC said:

No, not obviously.

If we're pulling stuff out of thin air then I'll venture to say that Kojima gets what Kojima wants at Konami. There, pulled that one out of thin air with no facts.

StuBurns

Banned
soldat7 said:
No, not obviously.

If we're pulling stuff out of thin air then I'll venture to say that Kojima gets what Kojima wants at Konami. There, pulled that one out of thin air with no facts.
Almost certain more accurate too.

Kojima is the only thing they have outside of Winning Eleven, I bet he can do pretty much what he wants at this point.

SMZC said:
MGS4 wasn't even released by GDC last year. And if you're referring to the image of Raiden from Kojima's keynote this year, that certainly wasn't an announcement.

You're acting really pathetic right now. Just stop. MGSR will be a big game, it will have a huge budget, and it will be successful -- on both 360 and PS3.

Blader5489 said:
wat? Rising was announced yesterday.

Announced officially, but we knew what it was at GDC

gdckn79.jpg

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20090327_80048.html

GCNemesis

I guess I shouldn't be, but I'm slightly surprised that Kojima is yet again doing another MGS title. My understanding was that Kojima didn't want to do another. If I had to guess why he is back is 1) money and 2) he was presented with the opportunity to do something different with the series. There's always a twist he adds whether its story or gameplay related, which brings me to what I found on my Jump to Conclusions mat. As soon as I saw "Lightning Bolt Action" in the trailer, I immediately thought, "What if this game plays like Ninja Gaiden or Shinobi?" Obviously the gameplay is going to be different, but I think many are assuming a lot of the same type of gameplay from the past four titles will remain. I strongly doubt this. My guess is Kojima is trying to refine a new genre based off the existing action genre while adding in the action elements he developed in MGS4. Should be pretty interesting.

Crisco

Banned
stuburns said:
Almost certain more accurate too.

Kojima is the only thing they have outside of Winning Eleven, I bet he can do pretty much what he wants at this point.

Yeah really, what a silly thing to say, what other franchise is Konami going to throw their resources at? Silent Hill? Castlevania? Being that this is the first day one multi-platform MGS, it could be their highest budget game ever. I for one can't wait (day one PS3 here).

gkryhewy

flabberghastly said:
MGS4 wasn't even released by GDC last year. And if you're referring to the image of Raiden from Kojima's keynote this year, that certainly wasn't an announcement.

You're acting really pathetic right now. Just stop. MGSR will be a big game, it will have a huge budget, and it will be successful -- on both 360 and PS3.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm so happy for the PC version. Just speechless.

All I ask for is 16:10 support and an option for Japanese audio.

Blader

StuBurns

Banned
A picture of Raiden is not an announcement. It was announced yesterday.
About a year after MGS4 was released, and as has already been mentioned, MGS4 was announced at E3 about six months after MGS3 was released.

Any talk that this isn't a 'full' game, in terms of budget or anything else, is just nonsense at this point.

Maybe it isn't, but right now we have no reason to think that. It might not be MGS5, but it's a major title.

harSon

Banned
Kagari said:
This is true. At this point, I'm surprised it hasn't happened... MGS4 being ported that is.

Getting the next big Kojima game is a bigger deal than getting a year + old port, it also makes more sense considering a huge selling point of Metal Gear Solid 4 is the story and it's characters, something that's going to be lost if a lot of people have missed out on games 1 and 3 (Assuming they played 2 on Xbox..).

SMZC

kmgrey said:
Untrue- MGS4 was announced six months after MGS3 (E3 2005).

True, true. But this is beside the point. My point was that MGSR is going to be less hi-budget than a main series MGS title, and I'm positive that will the case.

flabberghastly said:

Why am I so pathetic? Because I'm saying the truth? If you're seriously expecting Konami to spend half the money on a Raiden May Cry spin-off than what they spent on MGS4, then you're in for a big disappointment. No one spends 70 million dollars on a spin-off which isn't guaranteed to be as successful as a game of the main series; no one.

DOO13ER said:
I know we're supposed to be, "the better forum" and all, but I still can't help at chuckle at these comments. I didn't know these kinds of people still existed:

THEATRE TYPE HARDWARE

The irony is that its the PS3 (along with the 360) that is severely limiting the game's potential this time. Not that any of these crazies realise that.

Kagari said:
This is true. At this point, I'm surprised it hasn't happened... MGS4 being ported that is.

Well now that the engine is going to be up and running on both the 360 and PC they might as well port it over, its hardly going to be much extra work now, is it. Its practically free money being left on the table at this point. A $30 Steam release would be enough for me to bite and I'm sure many many others as well, it would be interesting to see what a high end rig could do for the game's visuals at the very least. 1024x768 is a pretty damn limiting resolution for a high calibre game's visuals, 1080p rendering could transform the game's look.

jmdajr said:
Metal Gear Solid has been on the PC quite a few times before I believe.
It's not like this is new.

link

Well those were always very late and very cheap ports. This is seemingly being created in parallel with the console versions, and that's a big shift if you ask me. If even Square and Capcom can give PC gamers a very nice visual bump (and suitably great performance) with their recent PC ports after the crap they used to deliver, there's hope that Konami could follow suit. I'll be keeping an eye on the situation at the very least.

Jedeye Sniv said:
Not sure about this tbh. As a 360 gamer, I don't know if I'd buy this withouot playing MGS4 first. I played the others in the PS2 days but didn't love them (not enough to spunk the dough on a PS3 for 4), but I'd be missing a game in the series if I played this, which hurts my OCD comics collector brain. It'd be like Mass Effect 2 on PS3 without ME1. Time will tell, hopefully there's a port of 4 coming as well somewhere along the road.

This is one of the reasons why I think a MGS4 port may still be on the cards. It would sure help to drum up interest from the 360 and PC crowd for the new release, it doesn't even have to be a "Substance/Subsistance" version either, just a barebones package for $30 (PC) / $40 (360).

-viper- said:
wat? It looks like the sharpest looking game out there.

Joke post?

The game rendered in 1024x768. Aint nothing "sharp" about that.

I hear the 1080p upscaling was handled nicely, but yeah, there's only so much you can do when you're restricted to such a small amount of pixels.

SMZC said:
Why am I so pathetic? Because I'm saying the truth? If you're seriously expecting Konami to spend half the money on a Raiden May Cry spin-off than what they spent on MGS4, then you're in for a big disappointment. No one spends 70 million dollars on a spin-off which isn't guaranteed to be as successful as a game of the main series; no one.
Saying the truth? You're speaking directly from your ass.

Let's look at some facts, shall we:
(1) This game was teased as the "Next MGS" at GDC
(2) Its teaser site featured no less than 5 countdowns
(3) A full-page spread in Famitsu was used just to advertise for those 5 countdowns
(4) It is most likely the game mentioned in the Famitsu interview as being developed by the MGS4 team
(5) It was treated as a large announcement by both Kojima and Microsoft

This isn't some Ac!d-level spinoff; this is the real-fucking-deal.

Orlics

Wait, how do we already know it's a spinoff in the vein of "Devil May Cry?" Were there details released that I haven't heard about?

Blader

CcrooK said:
332qnts.jpg

I still can't get over the guy's expression. :lol

I thought the fact that Kojima actually tapped him on the shoulder, like Wada did last year, was even cooler than the announcement itself :lol

Blader

SMZC said:
True, true. But this is beside the point. My point was that MGSR is going to be less hi-budget than a main series MGS title, and I'm positive that will the case.

Who says they have to? The engine is still there, all of the assets are still there, there's no reason to spend as much money on Rising because a lot of the technology is already in place.

SMZC

flabberghastly said:
Saying the truth? You're speaking directly from your ass.

Let's look at some facts, shall we:
(1) This game was teased as the "Next MGS" at GDC
(2) Its teaser site featured no less than 5 countdowns
(3) A full-page spread was used just to advertise for those 5 countdowns
(4) It is most likely the game mentioned in the Famitsu interview as being developed by the MGS4 team
(5) It was treated as a large announcement by both Kojima and Microsoft

This isn't some Ac!d-level spinoff; this is the real-fucking-deal.

1. Yes, the next MGS to come out. You're not seriously considering this on the same level as a hypothetical MGS5, especially with the "Tactical Espionage Action" bit being replaced for "Lightning Bolt Action", are you?

2. That teaser was meant for at least two different games, the second one being the Big Boss game that supposedly will be on PSP. So, it was a teaser for everything that Koji Pro was going to show at E3, not a teaser for MGSR. Also, I don't think I need to remind you of the carnival of stupid.

4. Yes, it most likely is. That doesn't mean the game is being treated as a main series MGS. Actually, it doesn't even mean that the whole MGS4 team is behind MGSR. For all we know, it could be half of it. Let's not forget that Koji Pro is currently working on other projects as well; for MGS4's development, they even had to ask Konami for more people OUTSIDE of Koji Pro. I remember Kojima saying how he felt uncomfortable having to work with so many people without knowing how many of them were called.

5. lol, of course it was. The fact that it's a spin-off which probably won't even have anything to do with the established gameplay of the series doesn't even matter to Microsoft. They got Metal Gear; they finally "stole" it from the PS3. They just wanted to spread that message. Surely you can see that.

SMZC

Blader5489 said:
Who says they have to? The engine is still there, all of the assets are still there, there's no reason to spend as much money on Rising because a lot of the technology is already in place.

Alright, let's take that out of MGS4's 70 million dollars. MGSR is still not going to be nearly as expensive as MGS4.

Donos

PC for me but the "Lightning Bolt Action" tag is getting me suspicious... what the f... it sounds like a cheesy power rangers special move.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I'm all for this anouncement. My only concern is that I won't understand what's going on since I haven't played MGS4 yet. But maybe it takes place before MGS4. Who knows.

I can't believe this is on 360. Pretty crazy.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
360 version AND PC? Dude, an embarrassment of riches for a Metal Gear fan.

I just hope this lightning bolt action business isn't just another way of saying Ninja Gaiden.

LowParry

Donos said:
PC for me but the "Lightning Bolt Action" tag is getting me suspicious... what the f... it sounds like a cheesy power rangers special move.

Have you played a Metal Gear game? :lol

I was a huge fan of Raiden in MGS2 despite the haters. I really don't know how to feel about this game and I won't post much in this thread because I don't know about MGS4's ending since I haven't played it :(

Orlics

SMZC said:
Alright, let's take that out of MGS4's 70 million dollars. MGSR is still not going to be nearly as expensive as MGS4.
The point is it will be as expensive as a game called "MGS5."

Blader

SMZC said:

Yes...because it doesn't have to be. The tech is already there, they don't need to spend as much money as they did on MGS4.

SMZC said:
You're not seriously considering this on the same level as a hypothetical MGS5, especially with the "Tactical Espionage Action" bit being replaced for "Lightning Bolt Action", are you?
Actually, yes, I am. We have no reason to believe this is any less of an MGS than Halo Reach is a Halo or Splinter Cell: Conviction is a Splinter Cell. A change in subtitle and a shift from a number to Rising doesn't suddenly invalidate this as the next Metal Gear Solid. It has even been specifically referred to as such in the aforementioned teaser.

You're downplaying the importance of this for ulterior motives, and everyone is aware of it.

Chinner

Banned
To be honest MGS4 will probably cost more to develop more than MGS:R anyway because they had to develop the engine and all the assets and shit.

-viper-

Banned
brain_stew said:
Joke post?

The game rendered in 1024x768. Aint nothing "sharp" about that.

I hear the 1080p upscaling was handled nicely, but yeah, there's only so much you can do when you're restricted to such a small amount of pixels.
OH SPECZ SPECZ SPECZ. Who cares if its rendered at such a low res when it looks 1080p quality? Looks way cleaner than ANY 720p game.

How about the fact it looks like it's one the sharpest games I've played on my TV?

And yes, the 1080p upscaling looks GREAT.

SMZC

Orlics said:
The point is it will be as expensive as a game called "MGS5."

No, it won't. No chance in hell.
It will probably suck as much as MGS4, though!

Also, I'm calling it now: For an MGS game, MGSR will have a very low amount of cut-scenes. The focus will be on the gameplay above all else. Which, of course, will be good for some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom